Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%) - City Brewing Company, LLC

Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%)Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%)

awful

City Brewing Company, LLC visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 07-12-2009)

3.5/5  rDev +113.4%

2.83/5  rDev +72.6%

Compliments of AKBelgianBeast in part of my losing the LNBA FF.

A- The beer had a sizable head at first, then shrank as quickly as a boner does when confronted by a mouthful of razor blades. Darker gold color then your typical beer of this style and origin.

S- The smell is actually kinda nice. It is fruity with an effervescence to it. The fruit smell is that of...oh crap this reminds me of MD 20/20, the red flavor mixed with the orange flavor. Even has that harsh sweet alcohol undertone.

T- Wow this is sweet! It's like someone used pixie sticks as a swizzle stick. Perhaps pixie sticks were used in the primary. This totally has the feel and taste of MD 20/20 with the sweetness and fruit flavors it has. Man this is sweetly rough.

M- Thick and ultra sweet. The carbination helps, but not much.

D- I'd say chug this o

2.75/5  rDev +67.7%

Here in Ohio we get the 10% variety so I'm not sure how much that makes a difference.

Anyway.

You should know what you're getting into when you pop an Earthquake. This isn't a beer to be enjoyed, this is a beer to make you want to fist fight telephone poles and it does it's job.

It's much sweeter than its malt lager brethren which makes it a bit easier to stomach but it's still pretty harsh. Drink one on a dare or if you are on a super low budget looking to catch a buzz.

2.6/5  rDev +58.5%

Pint Glass

A - Merky golden sunset, no head and no lacing

S - Tons of malts, funky yeast, sugar, very slight, barley and tons of alcohol

T - slight hop, tons of bitter, sugar, alcohol, grains, rice, yeast and huge amounts of malts

M - Full bodied, no complexity, not very balanced, medium minus acidity and very long sweet/malty/boozy finish

D/O - I enjoy this a lot. Easy to drink, nice abv and a low, low price. Not a crafty beer or something I would drink a couple cans of, just a good getting tipsy beer

Final thoughts - $1.50 and 12% abv? Haha. This one is ok by me. Watch out for the hang over!

2.58/5  rDev +57.3%

What to drink when the wife is decorating for Christmas? Answer: anything that increases tolerance and numbs the senses! Why not a new to me 12% potential drain poor in a can!

Pours a pleasant looking clear gold with a initially big white hat. Lots of carbonation although the head dropped to a cover in under a minute. leaves a sheet of receding lace throughout the session.

Smells of sweet green apples...and....

Taste is of the same green apples, sweet grainy adjuncts and a bit of alcohol on the finish...mouthfeel is a bit north of thin with still rampant carbonation.

Basically a more drinkable version of this genre compared to Stack.Not worth the 2.95 the local bev joint charged me though.

2.58/5  rDev +57.3%

24 OZ of 12% Booze for 99 cents, well that just plain says you might go blind! Pretty much this is the unflavored base beer they make the "Four" Alco-pops out of.

Clear golden colored beer with very slight head formation and retention.

Smells light and corny with a slight corn syrup scent. Sweet and corny smell. Scientists with a gas chromatograph can only detect hops. Still no off odors here at all.

Starts out sweet and alcoholic with a slight metal aftertaste to it. If you ever wondered what bock must taste like with no hops, grab one of these and find out. Corn syrup and candy flavor, guessing they are not adding all that much sugar to the Four Series of alco-pops, just brew a beer until it kills the yeast and force carbonate it. Not completely awful, just too sweet.

Mouthfeel is pretty good since this thing is just loaded with unfermented sugars.

Drinkability is OK, but the sweetness is just too much. Run this through a Randall or add about 60 IBUs bitterness and it would be decent. Better than you could expect out of a 24 OZ Ghetto can of beer, still no repeat sale here.

2.53/5  rDev +54.3%

Unlike many of the reviews on Earthquake, this review is coming from someone who's very well versed in strong bad beers, from malt liquor to high gravities. This review will come from someone who has a lot of experience with this class of beers.

On nights I want to drink a beer with a simple character, Hurricane is my beer of choice. I love strong beers. Anything from High Gravities to Barleywines to Imperial Stouts to IPA's. High Gravities are like my Keystone. Tonight, I was going to buy my usual 2 24oz cans of Hurricane, but I saw a can of Earthquake. I have never seen this beer before. When I saw a 12% ABV, it was definitely getting a try from me. With that said, I went ahead and started drinking the Earthquake immediately when I went home. I didn't feel a need to throw it in the freezer.

A: This class of beer doesn't belong in a glass. Great looking can.

S: Sweet fruity corn smell followed by a faint metallic smell.

T: The taste is exactly what you'd expect from this class of beers. Surprisingly, it doesn't taste as bad as I thought it would. If your well versed in this class of beer, you shouldn't have a problem drinking it. Very sweet corn taste followed by a very upfront alcohol finished with a slight metallic and corny aftertaste. This is on the sweet side, but not unbearable.

M: Very upfront with the sweet taste and alcohol finish. Average carbonation.

D: This is not a beer for the faint at heart. If you've never had this class of beers, don't waste your money. You'll find this beer unbearable. This is an average tasting high gravitiy beer that gets high marks on its alcohol contents. I've had many high gravities that taste worse with a much lower ABV such as Old English HG800. The drunkability is amazing. 1 can almost feels like drinking 2 Hurricane's. I'll definitely buy Earthquake again. It'll be a great addition to my bad beer nights, drinking 1 Hurricane and 1 Earth.

2.33/5  rDev +42.1%

Pours a rusty-golden in color ("copper", I suppose) topped with a rocky off-white head. Head falls at an average pace, leaving just a bit of clingy lace.

The smell is very, very sweet. It smells like what it is, a sweet, malty pale lager, maybe a bit of sour-ish apple cider in there, and honey-ish notes, but this is literally nothing to write home about. No hop presence here, vegetal notes, boozy, slightly phenolic, industrial solvent notes, burning sensation . . .

Sweet and acrid on the first sip, but this is hardly a sippin' beer. This is something to get wrecked on. HOT, boozy, any flavor here tastes like burning and prickly needles in my tongue. Ouch! To be fair, I've enjoyed eisbocks with similar phenolic characteristics to this, so I'd say this one might appeal to the folks that dig big, burly super-lagers, but there's no finesse here. The malt base needs some hop bitterness and it just ain't here...

Body is thin-yet-treacly. More burning as it settles in my belly... for what it is (12% -- holy crap!) this is quite drinkable, but I just can't think of very many people wanting to drink more than about 2 ounces of this and then doing a drain pour. This reminds me of the time I handed some n00bish friends of mine some ice-cold cans of 'Bavaria 8.6', which they promptly dubbed "Super Beer!" About half the folks couldn't stomach the solvent-like character of that stuff (I liked it...) and poured 'em. One guy drank the entire can and promptly locked himself in the bathroom for three hours.

Sadly, Earthquake is way, way cheaper and easier to come by than the fabled Bavaria 8.6, and it's a wonder I don't see more of these cans down by the river . . . this one's definitely not for the faint of heart!

Served chilled in a Paulaner Mass (sacrilege!)

2.25/5  rDev +37.2%

2.25/5  rDev +37.2%

Can generously provided by t0rin0. One of the Malt Liquor Tasting leftovers that we're slowly working through. Served in a BeerAdvocate taster glass. Poured out a few oz for our homies who couldn't be there.

A - Big white foam quickly settles to a thin ring and some spotty lace. Transparent golden body, with big bubbles adhering to the sides of the glass.

S - Sugar, corn, grape juice, Kool-Aid, and some obvious fusel alcohols. It's a malt liquor alright, but it's far from the worst one we've had.

T - Taste is a step down, with mostly sweet corn and grain alcohol that gets increasingly obvious towards the finish. That being said, not entirely unpalatable.

M - Surprisingly low carbonation, medium-full body, some definite alcohol warmth but otherwise quite smooth.

D - Like Evil Eye, this was only somewhat bad, and not epic bad. A large portion of the can was actually consumed (albeit by a large group of people).

2.23/5  rDev +36%

Basically its there to get you drunk in the cheapest way. It is, okay. Strong, very strong. The alcohol hits you immediately. The taste is comparable to whiskey. Not entirely, so I don't want the beersnobs attacking me. I enjoyed it, just not what I was expecting from a malt liquor. Yeah, you might taste something here but the dominant taste is definitely alcohol. You will get drunk, fairly quick, esoecially if you're a light-weight.
All in all this is for getting drunk fast. They obviously don't care about the taste. but I can accept that in this case. It gets the job done.
Wanna get drunk fast. This beers for you. Want something with an appealing taste? Steer clear.

By The Way:

This beer is no longer 12% they have lowered it to 8% and it IS still brewed. Just not as strong. Bummer for those cheap buzzes.

2.23/5  rDev +36%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts. Taste is of alcohol, maybe a touch of malts. Feels light in the mouth with a bit of alcohol burn, and it was a real challenge for me to finish this can. Overall the only reason to buy this beer would be to get slam faced as cheaply as possible.

2.03/5  rDev +23.8%

There are several ways to look at this beer. One is that it's just malt liquor crap, but one is also that it's a bit of a new style. And I wonder, if one of America's funky craft breweries produced this would it be better received? I think probably so. And on that note, I don't normally mention packaging (because we're really just interested in the beer here), but the graphics on the can really do make an impression, and most likely not for the beter. So let's get to it.

The body is a hazy deep golden that appears almost orange in a pint glass. The creamy white head settles quickly and leaves little lacing behind, if at all (there are some spots and streaks here and there). Of course, in a beer that's 12% alc./vol. that's somewhat to be expected.

The aroma is oddly reminiscent of many malternatives. It's fruity like apple juice and fruit punch combined; and there's a clear note of alcohol and solvent. If there are any hops present, I can't find them beyond the esters.

The flavor is exactly as the aroma indicates it will be. It's fruity, a hint tangy (or biting on the tongue), cidery, and clearly hot with alcohol. I get some ethyl acetate coming through pretty distinctly; and it's definitely hot (there's a bit of the peppery spice that comes with that). I'm also finding some plastic-like phenols as well in the finish, where it also sweetens up for a quick bit. I'm sure that there are enough hops in here to meet the legal requirements of "beer" (probably from liquid extract), but it seems as if the drying alcohol is all that's there to balance the sweet malt.

As to drinkability... I personally have a fairly bad reaction to higher alcohols, leaving my face and ears to turn red as I get very hot in the face - and that happened to me only 3 or 4 ounces into this! I can drink distilled liquors (or wine, which is usually about 12%), but not this unrefined stuff, so that cuts down its drinkability for me. Beyond that, I'm not sure I care for the flavor at all - or that anyone would. If I was going to drink this I'd at least want the 'fruit cushion' of a JOOZE or FOUR-O LOKO. They may use lager yeast, and it's certainly high gravity, but this is far from what I'd consider a "high gravity lager" as there are really no hops to it at all.

1.98/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

10.0% variety 24oz can

A - pours a light, pale yellow like light apple juice. Pours with thin white head which dissipates instantly. 2 minutes after pour not even a small thin head. Absolutely no lacing.

S - smells like a citrus cleaning product. Bitter apple. Definitely a citrus-y nose.

T - rotting apples as someone else said is a perfectg description. really not all that bad tho once you're halfway through. Taste better in a glass than a can.

M - watery thin. high cRBONation

O - yuck. $1.59 for 24oz at 10.0abv it gets its job done

1.93/5  rDev +17.7%

The CANQuest just CANtinues to take me to new and unexpected places. I CANnot tell you how overjoyed I am to be reviewing yet another AmeriCAN Malt Liquor. And from the good people of City BC, LLC, no less. I wonder, as I drink their products (NOT their beers), how they sleep at night. A special circle in Hell must be reserved for purveyors of such swill, or so I would believe if that were my belief system. I am at the mercy of the almighty CAN and so, I proceed only hoping to come out on the other side.

Once I cracked the top, I was committed! The CANQuest will abide nothing less. I saw a finger of bone-white head that looked like something I might see from 7-Up as it popped, fizzled and reduced to wisps in record time. My liver began to hurt. The color was a golden yellow with NE-quality clarity. And now, for the moment of truth - I leaned in, taking a deep whiff. Yoi! It smelled like a plastics manufacturing plant or maybe the production facility for styrofoam. My liver began banging around, hoping for escape in the face of the inevitable. I took a good mouthful, in case I might have to abandon the quest. Whew! I was suddenly sad that I did not have a gas station nearby as I could sell someone the remainder for their tank. I got an initial flavor of VERY green apples which gave way to a flavor resembling only the finest unleaded gasoline. Perfect, if you are looking to commit suicide by beer. The finish was hot in a molten way. I was afraid to do anything that might possibly create a spark. My liver disengaged and began shoving other organs out of its way in its search for an exit. My eyes began to water and I could feel the suction pump vacuuming the moisture out of my brain en route to a stellar hangover. By my second mouthful, I was praying to a God in whose existence I was heretofore an unbeliever. Remember the old saw about atheists and foxholes? Incoming! I began to taste cotton candy, another sign of a quality beer. I refilled my glass, watching it come out of the CAN like viscous apple juice. This is wrong on so many levels, it is not even quantifiable. I began to have convos with my Pops, my grandparents, and my uncle Rick, all long deceased, ala Willy Loman in "Death of a Salesman". I see dead people! Why are they all disapproving of my beer? CAN it be that I may be on my way to join them? I am pressing on. By my third swallow, I was drooling openly, unable to control my motor functions and preparing to urinate in the sink. Damn, this is real good! I am coming around to their POV - nothing like a good, cheap erasure of my mind on a Friday night, especially on the cheap. Cheep, cheap. Hoo ha. Who R U? I CANnot open the bay doors right now, Dave. Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do ... I happy to pleased meet you are. Where CAN I get some more of this jaunt? Taa daa. I'm here! Lucky you. Wait, what was I supposed to be doing? Sorry, I've got to go, in order to operate a construction crane high above multiple people. Good times!

1.93/5  rDev +17.7%

Well its cheap and strong but man does it taste bad. It grows on you a little as you drink, but I can't say I plan on buying this stuff again. It kind of tastes like an energy drink at times. It reminds me of something a High Schooler would try to steal from a convenience store.

1.88/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours out an amber hue with a thin white head that leaves no lacing or retention. The smell is of alcohol, rotting apples, rotting corn and mildew. The taste is lots of alcohol, spoiled corn and sweet malts that leave a bad aftertaste in the mouth. The mouthfeel is burning alcohol and an unpleasant feel on the tongue. This $1.30 for a 24 oz. can was one of the worse beers I ever tasted and will never buy it again.

Serving type: can

1.85/5  rDev +12.8%

16oz can drunk straight from the can
A: Didn't even give it the time of day
S: Some sort of over-ripe apples or other fruit
T: cough syrup and sour malt-hop mash; alcoholic
M: Pretty bad; kinda like drinking watered-down cough syrup
D: Actually, fairly drinkable; pretty much brewed to be a high-alcohol, high consumption "get drunk" beer

1.8/5  rDev +9.8%

Oh lord!... This is not a good idea. This beer was bought while shopping for Ryans Ghetto BIF. My apologies to Naproxen as I sent her a can. The beer was served cold in a pint glass. In all honesty when you buy a tall boy of 12% High Gravity Malt Liquor you know what you are getting yourself into. Why am I doing this to myself? Sometimes I suspect I hate me.

Appearance: The body of the beer is a fizzy golden coloration. The head of the beer beer is a white coloration. Retention of the head is non existant. Doesnt look bad but I suspect this is the high note for this beer.

Smell: Slightly earthy sweet corn syrup aroma. No hops are present. Lots of sweetness this may melt my molars.

Taste: After the smell I cannot say my mouth is watering. This is nearing molar melting sweet. Lots of alcohol sweetened candied candy corn. No off flavors just straight up sweet.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer is very sweet. The body is light actively carbonated. Not really all that drinkable due to super sweetness. In short this is a High Nitro Buzz beer. Serve super cold in the can and drink as fast as you can stand it. Its not gag inducing but there are way better malt liquors.

1.8/5  rDev +9.8%

Well, I'm here to ponder my joking mention to a turbaned, bearded fellow working at this apartment ghetto's adjacent Seven-Eleven; while purchasing a 12% Earthquake I was just getting to learn to like after enduring several of those: Saying to him; that if I went blind, that would be his fault.

The very next time I was in for another can; these are now Earthquake 8.1% there in otherwise identical 24oz cans.

I'd just decided the best way to deal with the 12% was by chilling that cold enough to be easily poured half into an used 12oz screw top bottle, for later. With a longer lasting larger head, this is essential with the 8.1%.

I'd don't really find heartening too much, the at first taste seeming flavor improvement of the 8.1% version; considering the price remains the same as when 12%.

I'd just started adapting myself to the 12%, I'd thought hitting the market after the devastating Japanese earthquake with all the still daunting implications from the nuclear disaster the quake engendered; an incredibly thoughtful product, marketing ploy and timely commentary on the species' ability to continually be figuratively speaking, shooting itself in the foot. After a stressful five millennia or so's devotion to the mastery of fire and salt: Metallurgy and chemistry in other words.

As far as taste, I can only call the original 12% "brilliant."

If you read William Henry Hudson's book Green Mansions; that suggests one way to create what seems like great beer. Women chewing grain to for the emulsification of that, whose saliva also ensures the alcoholic fermentation. "Hey, honey?"

Cheers; and bottoms up.

post script: I notice my review gives this great beer a D minor rating; which as D-F-A works out to a 1.666 GPA according to my $3 Radio Shack calculator.

GPAs can be deceptive, as one particularly cynical high school friend they graduated just to get rid of had a 0.9 GPA who also scored highest of anyone in school on the National Merit Scholarship test of our whole class of '69; who later mentioned flunking the army intelligence test was one of the most difficult things he'd ever accomplished up until then.

I think Earthquake High Gravity Lager is the greatest beer commercially produced on the planet; without doubt.

Anyone drinking anything else is so far beyond whimphood in the wrong direction there isn't even the possibility of such a word being invented for that.

If this were the only beer commercially available in the world, the whole earth would be doubtless revolutionized in a positive way. Far more than simply keeping me from wasting time, writing here.

1.75/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Dark clear golden in color. Head is white with very little retention. Looks highly carbonated. Pretty average for this style. Smells very sweet. Maybe some Over ripened apples and grapes with trace amounts of grains and an alcohol undertone. Very sweet taste. Taste artificially sweetened. Fruit and alcohol. Leaves a nasty chemical aftertaste. Kinda like jungle juice. Pretty bad. Mouth feel is thick and syrupy. Gross.

O - This is a drain pour. This beer is horrible. Stay away from this one