2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%) - City Brewing Company, LLC

Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%)Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%)

awful

City Brewing Company, LLC visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 07-12-2009)
View: Beers (35) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 63 | Reviews: 50 | Show All Ratings:
womencantsail

A: The pour is a fizzy, light golden color with pretty much no head.

S: Oh wow, this is bad. The nose is a terrible combination of sugar, caramel, and cream with some coffee and grape juice. The alcohol is incredibly well pronounced.

T: I wish I could give this lower than a one (I gave a one to the appearance to compensate). This is the most god-awful tasting beverage to ever grace my tongue. The coffee, caramel, grapes, abrasive alcohol, metal, and absolutely disgustingly sweet...what were they thinking?

M: Thin bodied, highly carbonated, and hot from the booze, even when ice cold.

D: This is the worst thing I've ever had (and I've had a lot of malt liquors). I would never have this again, nor would I suggest anyone consider buying this. The 24 ounce can was about 48 ounces too much.

02-28-2010 23:05:56 | More by womencantsail
Mora2000

Thanks to blutt59 for sharing this high gravity greatness.

The beer pours a dark yellow color with a white head. The aroma is that of plastic and oil. Seriously, how does a beer smell this bad? The flavor is skunk (not sure how a can gets skunked but it did), citrus fruit and awfulness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. The appearance of the big 24 ounce can is awesome, everything else is terrible.

07-04-2010 23:38:27 | More by Mora2000
musicawl

Don't really know what to say other than this is incredibly terrible beer. It's so sweet and vile tasting. You can literally taste the alcohol. The aftertaste makes you practically gag. There's no hops present in the smell or taste at all. Tastes incredibly boozy and sweet with a smell to match. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this beer. It's good for absolutely nothing except for getting trashed very fast and cheap.

08-05-2010 07:09:01 | More by musicawl
cyberdemigod

Oregon

This is by far the most disgusting thing I have ever drank in my entire life.

I now use this to remove ink and paint stains, and fuel my car.

It has a very yellow color, very very dark,with a kind of red hue, almost like a mix of unhealthy urine and beer.
The head on it was so thick and slimy looking.

It kind of looks like somebody put cigarette buts out it in and then spat in it for a half hour

But the can looks pretty cool, I will give it that

The smell is very wine like, with a hint of burning rubber.

The mouth feel can only be described as "slime" , it leaves a film in any glass you poor it in.

The taste is so awful, It tastes like a mix of gasoline, Camo black ice grade malt beverage, and wine.

I imagine drinking urine would taste better, and this is not an exaggeration.

As for undrinkability
I use to shotgun these things with my friends, and now just looking at it makes me cringe and almost induces vomiting.

If you ever drink this warm you will never taste anything ever again. It will kill any taste you have in your mouth

This should not even be on this site.

They were a dollar each and had 12% ABV

Only buy this if you do not care for taste and just want to get drunk as cheap as possible

Drink it fast, You have been warned

08-06-2010 12:56:30 | More by cyberdemigod
WVbeergeek

I bought this for a novelty to see how bad the highest alcohol content malt liquor I have ever seen could be. For a dollar and some change for a pounder can you're definitely getting the bang for your buck but why would you want it if you have to drink this beer. Pours like apple juice minimally carbonated, faint fizzy white head wispy thin lace. Aroma has tart alcohol/cidery greeen apple notes/and booze of course. A cooked vegetable metallic character in the finish, almost like there's a penny aging in the bottom of the can. Flavor induces the gag reflux, worst tasting creation fusel alcohol harsh finish cloying sweet green apple tartness, completely terrible in everyway. I will never go down this road again. Mouthfeel again cloying fizzy carbonation doesn't carry the medium bodied malt liquor very well. Drinkability this is quite the train wreck of a beer drinking experience, only the brave will attempt and the crazy will drink the whole can. Mine went down the drain, yet I'm satisfied by the experiement.

11-08-2010 15:47:39 | More by WVbeergeek
IchabodcraneIpa

Didn't feel the need to dirty a glass with this one.

Bought this one the other day late night at the gas station because all the liquor stores were closed. Thought it was sketchy right from the get go but when I got home I studied the can to reveal to my horror that it is made by the makers of four loko.

The color of this one is a mystery to me and I don't want to know what it actually is.

The smell of this one smelled like a stronger alcohol version of bud light.

When I went to take a sip of this thing I was pretty hesitant because it is made by drink4 , whos fruity malt beverages do not appeal to me at all. Sure enough they fooled me into spending 3 bills on this four loko disguised as a beer. It tastes like beer for a second at first then turns into the fruity battery acid flavored mess that is four loko. For those of you that don't know about these creations from Satan, they are supposed to taste like various different fruit flavors but they all end up tasting like a fat pile of throw up. They give you an instant heart burn and usually make you pee out of your mouth the next morning.

The mouthfeel of this is acidic and fruity with a bunch of carbonation and evil mixed inside.

Overall I took one drink, marveled at the fact they disguised four loko in a beer can and immediately threw it in a volcano.

03-26-2011 22:09:31 | More by IchabodcraneIpa
gretchy

Oregon

The liquid was a strong dehydrated-urine yellow as it was poured down the sink. There were some bubbles here and there that quickly faded and washed away.

The smell was like Steel Reserve filtered through a permanent marker.

I made it to one single sip and then passed it around the room. The taste was almost completely unlike anything I'd ever put in my mouth before. If there's one thing this beer has, it's staying power. I ate ice cream, fishy crackers, more beer and sweetened iced tea, but nothing helped. The taste was there in the back of my mouth for about two hours. Not bad for $1.49.

The closest thing I can compare the mouthfeel to is making out with a hobo who's been doing shots of rubbing alcohol and chasing it with turpentine.

It made the can of Four Loko I had sitting around taste like ambrosia.

04-15-2011 23:33:21 | More by gretchy
ronniebruner

Arizona

I must admit I bought this beer at a gas station as a novelty and a joke. I knew exactly what I was getting into and boy was I right. To say this tastes like battery acid would be a compliment. This beer has an unnatural golden hue, a horrendous aroma that I can not quite explain, the most carbonation I have ever seen in a beer, and honestly I couldn't drink more than 2 ounces of the 24 ounce can. Stay away. This is terrible, unless you want to play a prank on a friend or fellow beer enthusiast. I hope this post does not get deleted, it is not meant as a slam. This is just really that bad. It has an F rating for a reason.

10-09-2011 01:21:38 | More by ronniebruner
alabencki

1.02/5  rDev -35.4%

This is beer at its worst. It is extremely boosy smelling. Upon tasting all you can taste it the boosy alcohol and this sickly, bubble-gummy, nasty sweetness that leave the most disgusting after-taste and nasty feeling in the throat that stays for about a half hour. I had to dump my beer mug and the rest of my can into the sink and drink a better beer.

Do yourself a big favor and stay far away from this beer!!! It's good for nothing but getting trashed and getting trashed fast and cheap. But if you're going to do that go for a much better cheap high alcohol beer.

08-04-2010 00:37:06 | More by alabencki
lokieman

Oklahoma

1.03/5  rDev -34.8%

Positively the worst beer I've ever had in my life. I've had some other rough ones but this one take the cake. I would rate cave creek chili beer miles ahead of this one. Everything about this beer is absolutely horrible. Smell, taste, mouthfeel...all just plain disgusting. Makes me wonder what took so long for this one to be retired. Found this one in the crap beer ice bin at my local ghetto corner store. Never...I repeat...never again. Ice cold it's shotgunable...any warmer, good luck. You have been warned. Just writing about this beer brings back the nightmarish aftertaste...there is really no reason for this foul beverage to exist...it's that bad.

09-22-2012 05:20:03 | More by lokieman
twiggamortis420

1.05/5  rDev -33.5%

24 oz can pours a dark, desert-tortoise urine gold color with a small, creamy head. Looks evil, thickly viscous and rough.

Nose is absolutely stomach-curdling. Oh my god, the acetone and green apples on this are just rampant and disgusting. This might be the worst smelling beer I have ever had.

The first sip of this made me wretch a little in the mouth, something that has never, NEVER happened to me before. Wow, it is absolutely wretched. This is the most disgusting, foul-tasting brew I have ever had in my 20+ years of beer drinking. This rivals Bud Chelada for worst ever, and I actually think this might surpass it. I cant even stomach 3 sips of this. Holy shit, brewing this must be a complete joke. I knew it would be bad, horrible even...but this takes F-O-U-L to a whole new level!

11-04-2011 22:49:18 | More by twiggamortis420
emerge077

1.05/5  rDev -33.5%

Nothing says happy thanksgiving like shitty malt liquor!

Poured into a mug, it's a dark urine gold orange. Rapid club soda carbonation, bubbles clinging to the sides, despite a thorough glass rinsing. Audibly crackling fizz, thin layer of white foam that leaves behind a feeble scab of skim floating on the surface. Looks like carbonated apple juice.

Reeks of fusel alcohol, grape/apple juice, and envelope glue. Sickly sweet, sharp, and stomach-turning. Pure malaise in a can.

Sweet, green apple jolly rancher flavor, solvent fumes, blatant alcohol, astringent as hell. The tongue numbs on impact. Alcoholic, carbonated grape juice. Harsh finish that lingers, bitter apple seeds, slick with an alcohol burn that's just pure nasty. This is only a feasible drink when partially frozen, and only when down on your luck, out on the curb. Truly the bottom of the barrel. This is probably among the worst, if not the worst beer i've ever drank.

11-25-2011 04:17:53 | More by emerge077
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

1.08/5  rDev -31.6%

Earthquake High Gravity Lager can only be described as monstrously bad. This hideous product has a thick, off-white head, hazy dark gold appearance, and thin, quickly-dissipating lacing. Aroma is of some sort of over-ripe apples or other fruit. The taste is like foul cough syrup or some type of chemical extract. Mouth-feel is harsh and nauseating. It finishes down the drain. I hated to waste 24 oz. and some money, but this is beyond the pale! Earthquake is an insult to humanity and a shameful product. Not only should you avoid it, you should run from it. Oh, the horror! The horror!

RJT

08-08-2010 16:49:52 | More by RonaldTheriot
Avagadro

1.1/5  rDev -30.4%

A: can is poorly designed, but big with the abv listed proudly and large.
S: diesel fuel, acetone, and other solvent-esque characters dominate the nose.
T: I was literally stunned by the flavor. It was as of an earthquake hit me at first sip. This stuff is just awful.
M: thin bodied, but nothing. Is really wrong with it.
D: this is just awful. I have never developed a headache before finishing my first brew. That is, until I found Earthquake. Avoid.

11-06-2009 03:49:46 | More by Avagadro
JISurfer

South Carolina

1.1/5  rDev -30.4%

I started the night off with the Schlitz VSL, figured it's a good beer to go fishing with. After I had that, I was starting to feel kinda good, but I didn't have anymore. I went down to the corner gas station to see what they had, as well as get a beef stick for my wifey type. I saw the Earthquake for only $1.50, plus it was 12%, AND it was cold. I went against my better judgement and got it. Pretty much tasted like poorly made moonshine beer. I say that, because I've had good moonshine, which this was nothing like. It did start to taste a little better and made it more drinkable, as I got to the bottom, but I think we know why that happened. Never again, but I'm glad I survived the Earthquake and the After Shocks.

08-12-2010 14:53:02 | More by JISurfer
ZenAgnostic

1.1/5  rDev -30.4%

12oz can poured into a Budweiser pint glass. No apparent date, just cryptic numbers on the bottom of the can.

Appearance - Clear copper body. Off-white head in the glass, but when it foamed up upon opening the can it was a light brown color.

Smell - Vinegar. Soy sauce. Alochol. Dark fruit. Not appealing at all.

Taste - Alcohol. Corn. Earth. Musk.

Mouthfeel - Very astringent finish. I can do nothing to prevent making a face.

Overall Drinkability - Probably the worst beer I've had in a long time. This is totally a sink pour.

08-28-2011 19:24:40 | More by ZenAgnostic
Psychromatic

Alabama

1.15/5  rDev -27.2%

Executive Summary (as if any executives would drink this swill): The name is spot-on. Drink this, and you may very well be shortly experiencing one -- right in your belly. It is THE most vile brew I've ever had the misfortune to experience.

A: Chernobyl-glow amber fluid, but I'm sure there was more head to the waters around Pripyat than one could find in this.

S: Alcohol, and not a bashful amount. I could imagine my poor, tortured olfactories kicking up their wee heels and dying under the onslaught. Along with the pronounced alcohol scent comes a horrific sourness that manages to make the experience even worse.

T: Alcohol and rotting sweet-corn. The only way one can drink this at all is to have it ice-cold, so that the flavor doesn't come through so much. I tried quaffing a can of this at room temperature and found myself gagging before I'd done three sips. I've had some fairly low beers, but none have made me retch the way this one does.

M: Watery knives slashing the delicate tissues within my mouth. I've had other 24-proof brews that aren't nearly as much an assault on the inside of my face. With Earthquake, the jagged edges aren't softened at all.

D: It's a challenge to finish even a single 16-oz can of this nastiness, what with my belly constantly trying to push it right back out.

I'm the sort of fellow who'll happy slug down the much-reviled Steel Reserve as a daily drink... but this stuff? I don't even want it at 79 cents a pint.

01-14-2011 08:41:12 | More by Psychromatic
zacgosteli

Washington

1.2/5  rDev -24.1%

Quite possibly one of the worst liquids to ever come in contact with my taste buds. I got a root canal about two hours ago, and my mouth found that a little less offensive. The taste was poor, unlike other beers i've had, it was strongly masked with artificial flavors. The smell was so shitty and thick that I actually felt it enter my nasal cavities. Don't get me wrong, who doesn't love buying several ounces of cheap beer for very little money? but I'd rather pass and drink my own piss.

03-29-2011 21:56:38 | More by zacgosteli
Hompitron

1.25/5  rDev -20.9%

I like to consider myself a connoisseur of fine craft brews, but occasionally you just want to tie one on. That is where Earthquake comes in. It is not for the faint of heart, but if you are not too concerned about the pleasure of the drinking process itself this could be for you.

A - a fizzy transparent yellowish/amber, definitely the most appealing aspect of this beer. In fact, if you haven't caught a whiff of it already, you might convince yourself it could be good.

S - like a fire at a mortuary. Also notes of over ripe fruits, and a little bit of licorice and coffee.

T- My gracious goodness. Have you ever tested a 9-volt battery on your tongue? That's about what this tastes like, along with over powering sugary sweetness, the potent alcohol backing is the only thing that keeps you going at this point.

M- Like the wrath of the gods.

D- the only category besides appearance that gets over a one, and once again, its ONLY because its strong and cheap.

03-01-2010 00:21:43 | More by Hompitron
Bitterbill

Wyoming

1.25/5  rDev -20.9%

Big old 24oz can.

It pours a clear gold colour, 1" head of foam, and a ton of bubbles.

The smell has a big grain and sweet notes and quite a big alcohol aroma. Fancy that.

The taste is cloyingly sweet from the added sugars to bump up the abv. Wow. The grain in the smell is nowhere to be found...just super sickly sweetness and a ton of booze and some near burning of my throat in the swallow. Yuckity yuck.

Medium body lots of carbonation.

Drinkability? It's off the charts in the wrong direction! No way will I finish this one...

03-06-2010 17:13:08 | More by Bitterbill
pmcadamis

1.3/5  rDev -17.7%

A - This is a giant 24 oz man-can that would be at home in any paper sack, and would be the appropriate serving for any occasion held at your cardboard box estate at the most prestigious back-alley address. The brew itself is a clear and dark-amber concoction that looks like a healthy first morning void. Head and lace? Who are we kidding here. We BA's are probably the only people who have ever poured this stuff into anything other than a paper cup or an open mouth.

S - Sweet caramel candy and booze. Smells like the breath of a homeless dude who just found a full packet of Worther's Originals in a dumpster, and chased that candy with a pint of vodka. Diabetics in ketoacidosis have a similar perfume spewing forth from their gullet.

T - Like the "nose" this has a super-sweet and super-boozy character that will put the fear of god into the mind of teetotalers everywhere. This tastes like two girls put sugary caramel candies into their nether regions and then did something unspeakable with a small paper cup.

M - Thick, sugary, husky, and boozy. Finishes with a gin-like herbal fire that warms you from the inside out, but not in a good way.

D - It's honestly not as terrible as I've made it sound, but be warned... this is pure crunk juice at it's finest. Only the most penny pinching connoisseur of the most powerful of gas station offerings will find any joy in this beast. If you are going for this sort of firepower, why not do yourself a favor and just pick up a bottle of the cheapest gin or vodka you and find? If you are going for pure strength (12%? WTF?) , at least with a nice bottle of MadDog 20/20 you might not have to pee every five seconds. After all, cardboard boxes don't have the greatest plumbing in the world... all of that used up Earthquake might just come running back down the gutter into your "recyclable" home.

Note: It is my day off, but I still poured over half of this down the drain because I was starting to feel too dizzy too fast. What the hell, it was only like a dollar fifty.

1 24oz can of 12% ABV beer
=
4 bottles of a 6% craft beer

06-08-2010 22:09:00 | More by pmcadamis
troobie

1.4/5  rDev -11.4%

99 cents. 24 fl. oz. can. 12.0% ABV.

Do you really need anyone to tell you how this is going to taste?

I'm not pouring it out of the can, I'm not that crazy.

Smells like Camo products only sweeter and with more grape intensity. Concord grapes and pennies. Oh, and rubbing alcohol.

The aftertaste is horrible and lasts forever. For about one second I can taste something that resemebles maltiness. Sweet, alcohol, grape, bitter.

I'm not a stranger to high gravity malt liquor, and even I make "that face" when drinking this. Straight out of the freezer and below 30 degrees this is manageable. As it warms up you will start to test your gag reflex.

This may be a stepping stone from beer to MD 20/20.

07-22-2009 12:45:58 | More by troobie
Ghenna

1.4/5  rDev -11.4%

Looking for something to get my cheap krunk on with besides four loco I figured I would give this a shot. Not that I was expecting much, but Jesus christ on a squeaky bicycle, this is just horrible.
I drank it straight from the can, as I figured the 1.50 price tag didn't deem it worthy of a pint glass or snifter. The initial taste is tolerable, especially compared to other high alcohol content offerings from the cheap ass section of the convenience store fridge. The after taste though is a harrowing experience. Rubbing alcohol, and a horrible bitterness.
Were I not such a cheap skate and an alcoholic, I would have simply thrown the can away and not bothered to recycle it on ethical grounds alone, as I feel that aluminum tainted with God disproving concoction should never be reintegrated into the planet's beverage holders. But I've finished my buck fifty can, and as expected have a pretty good buzz going. I guess I would say that if you're desperate to get krunk on a fermented beverage, and you happen to lack taste buds, this is the choice for you. For the rest of us looking for a cheap buzz, just buckle down and tolerate tangerine flavored four loco.

11-06-2009 00:17:19 | More by Ghenna
budgood1

24 oz. can.

pours out of the can a glowing gold colour...it almost seems like it could glow in the dark! a relatively modest head appears and dies down quickly leaving some sparse lace. weird fruity aroma....combination of green apples and vanilla...some bubble gum too. doesn't smell bad, just not right! whoa baby...the taste is a sickly sweet mouth jarring combination of rubbing alcohol and corn syrup. more fruity esthers and plastic phenols abound to really make for an interesting flavour profile. instant belly warmer. i'm sipping this and it's a chore. i'm getting dizzy already. heavy handed body and slick oily mouthfeel. poor drinkability.

oh boy...this brew should be poured into shot glasses and chased with tequila!! i'm not sure what redeeming qualities this has other than to get a big buzz on quickly and violently. this might be good to boil some brats in...i see no other use for this vile, yet "flavourful" liquid. ugh.

01-07-2011 18:40:29 | More by budgood1
ElCommodoro

1.4/5  rDev -11.4%

This thing smells like apple cider. If someone handed it to me and told me it was apple cider, I would be fooled based on smell. Colour too, actually. It's a bright, vibrant yellow. Could be mildly radioactive. Maybe the brain tumors that would induce could add to the cheap buzz.
Oh crap, time to take a sip. It was bad, but not worse than I expected. It tastes kind of like alcohol and wood, not unlike a bad whiskey, actually. It burns on the way down, which is not something I generally associate with lager...or ANY beer for that matter. Other than that, it has a sweet, solvent flavour. Alcohol flavour is definitely dominant. It's unlike anything, I've had before so I honestly find it somewhat intriguing. It's somewhat reminiscent of sipping on bad liquor. The fuel aftertaste is quite terrible. Sort of nauseating. However, this might taste a TINY bit BETTER than Steel Reserve, which is really the test here. This is definitely one of the two worst beers I've ever tasted, but it is difficult to decide if it is the absolute worst. I'll try to finish the whole thing and then decide. The ONE redeeming quality of Steel Reserve is that I DIDN'T feel dying after I drank it. Let's see what kind of punch this thing packs. The fun kind or the deadly kind.
So....after successfully completing consumption of the 24 oz. can, I feel OK. Don't want to go into a coma or die. This stuff is SLIGHTLY better than steel reserve. It's had an oddly negative effect on my sexual drive, but when you're in a long-term relationship, that can be surprisingly helpful.
Thus, I feel compelled to rate this above Steel Reserve.

04-29-2011 06:48:11 | More by ElCommodoro