Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%) - City Brewing Company, LLC

Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%)Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%)

awful

City Brewing Company, LLC visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 07-12-2009)
Mora2000

Thanks to blutt59 for sharing this high gravity greatness.

The beer pours a dark yellow color with a white head. The aroma is that of plastic and oil. Seriously, how does a beer smell this bad? The flavor is skunk (not sure how a can gets skunked but it did), citrus fruit and awfulness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. The appearance of the big 24 ounce can is awesome, everything else is terrible.

07-04-2010 23:38:27 | More by Mora2000
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

I bought this for a novelty to see how bad the highest alcohol content malt liquor I have ever seen could be. For a dollar and some change for a pounder can you're definitely getting the bang for your buck but why would you want it if you have to drink this beer. Pours like apple juice minimally carbonated, faint fizzy white head wispy thin lace. Aroma has tart alcohol/cidery greeen apple notes/and booze of course. A cooked vegetable metallic character in the finish, almost like there's a penny aging in the bottom of the can. Flavor induces the gag reflux, worst tasting creation fusel alcohol harsh finish cloying sweet green apple tartness, completely terrible in everyway. I will never go down this road again. Mouthfeel again cloying fizzy carbonation doesn't carry the medium bodied malt liquor very well. Drinkability this is quite the train wreck of a beer drinking experience, only the brave will attempt and the crazy will drink the whole can. Mine went down the drain, yet I'm satisfied by the experiement.

11-08-2010 15:47:39 | More by WVbeergeek

11-23-2011 03:07:21 | More by Amalak
StoutHunter

11-28-2011 01:20:42 | More by StoutHunter
musicawl

Don't really know what to say other than this is incredibly terrible beer. It's so sweet and vile tasting. You can literally taste the alcohol. The aftertaste makes you practically gag. There's no hops present in the smell or taste at all. Tastes incredibly boozy and sweet with a smell to match. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this beer. It's good for absolutely nothing except for getting trashed very fast and cheap.

08-05-2010 07:09:01 | More by musicawl
Gagme

12-29-2011 05:48:27 | More by Gagme
ronniebruner

Arizona

I must admit I bought this beer at a gas station as a novelty and a joke. I knew exactly what I was getting into and boy was I right. To say this tastes like battery acid would be a compliment. This beer has an unnatural golden hue, a horrendous aroma that I can not quite explain, the most carbonation I have ever seen in a beer, and honestly I couldn't drink more than 2 ounces of the 24 ounce can. Stay away. This is terrible, unless you want to play a prank on a friend or fellow beer enthusiast. I hope this post does not get deleted, it is not meant as a slam. This is just really that bad. It has an F rating for a reason.

10-09-2011 01:21:38 | More by ronniebruner
cyberdemigod

Oregon

This is by far the most disgusting thing I have ever drank in my entire life.

I now use this to remove ink and paint stains, and fuel my car.

It has a very yellow color, very very dark,with a kind of red hue, almost like a mix of unhealthy urine and beer.
The head on it was so thick and slimy looking.

It kind of looks like somebody put cigarette buts out it in and then spat in it for a half hour

But the can looks pretty cool, I will give it that

The smell is very wine like, with a hint of burning rubber.

The mouth feel can only be described as "slime" , it leaves a film in any glass you poor it in.

The taste is so awful, It tastes like a mix of gasoline, Camo black ice grade malt beverage, and wine.

I imagine drinking urine would taste better, and this is not an exaggeration.

As for undrinkability
I use to shotgun these things with my friends, and now just looking at it makes me cringe and almost induces vomiting.

If you ever drink this warm you will never taste anything ever again. It will kill any taste you have in your mouth

This should not even be on this site.

They were a dollar each and had 12% ABV

Only buy this if you do not care for taste and just want to get drunk as cheap as possible

Drink it fast, You have been warned

08-06-2010 12:56:30 | More by cyberdemigod
womencantsail

A: The pour is a fizzy, light golden color with pretty much no head.

S: Oh wow, this is bad. The nose is a terrible combination of sugar, caramel, and cream with some coffee and grape juice. The alcohol is incredibly well pronounced.

T: I wish I could give this lower than a one (I gave a one to the appearance to compensate). This is the most god-awful tasting beverage to ever grace my tongue. The coffee, caramel, grapes, abrasive alcohol, metal, and absolutely disgustingly sweet...what were they thinking?

M: Thin bodied, highly carbonated, and hot from the booze, even when ice cold.

D: This is the worst thing I've ever had (and I've had a lot of malt liquors). I would never have this again, nor would I suggest anyone consider buying this. The 24 ounce can was about 48 ounces too much.

02-28-2010 23:05:56 | More by womencantsail
MaltRoomAssoc

12-11-2011 15:11:46 | More by MaltRoomAssoc
Kingghidorah

Connecticut

06-17-2012 11:09:50 | More by Kingghidorah
gretchy

Oregon

The liquid was a strong dehydrated-urine yellow as it was poured down the sink. There were some bubbles here and there that quickly faded and washed away.

The smell was like Steel Reserve filtered through a permanent marker.

I made it to one single sip and then passed it around the room. The taste was almost completely unlike anything I'd ever put in my mouth before. If there's one thing this beer has, it's staying power. I ate ice cream, fishy crackers, more beer and sweetened iced tea, but nothing helped. The taste was there in the back of my mouth for about two hours. Not bad for $1.49.

The closest thing I can compare the mouthfeel to is making out with a hobo who's been doing shots of rubbing alcohol and chasing it with turpentine.

It made the can of Four Loko I had sitting around taste like ambrosia.

04-15-2011 23:33:21 | More by gretchy
IchabodcraneIpa

Didn't feel the need to dirty a glass with this one.

Bought this one the other day late night at the gas station because all the liquor stores were closed. Thought it was sketchy right from the get go but when I got home I studied the can to reveal to my horror that it is made by the makers of four loko.

The color of this one is a mystery to me and I don't want to know what it actually is.

The smell of this one smelled like a stronger alcohol version of bud light.

When I went to take a sip of this thing I was pretty hesitant because it is made by drink4 , whos fruity malt beverages do not appeal to me at all. Sure enough they fooled me into spending 3 bills on this four loko disguised as a beer. It tastes like beer for a second at first then turns into the fruity battery acid flavored mess that is four loko. For those of you that don't know about these creations from Satan, they are supposed to taste like various different fruit flavors but they all end up tasting like a fat pile of throw up. They give you an instant heart burn and usually make you pee out of your mouth the next morning.

The mouthfeel of this is acidic and fruity with a bunch of carbonation and evil mixed inside.

Overall I took one drink, marveled at the fact they disguised four loko in a beer can and immediately threw it in a volcano.

03-26-2011 22:09:31 | More by IchabodcraneIpa
alabencki

1.02/5  rDev -37.8%

This is beer at its worst. It is extremely boosy smelling. Upon tasting all you can taste it the boosy alcohol and this sickly, bubble-gummy, nasty sweetness that leave the most disgusting after-taste and nasty feeling in the throat that stays for about a half hour. I had to dump my beer mug and the rest of my can into the sink and drink a better beer.

Do yourself a big favor and stay far away from this beer!!! It's good for nothing but getting trashed and getting trashed fast and cheap. But if you're going to do that go for a much better cheap high alcohol beer.

08-04-2010 00:37:06 | More by alabencki
lokieman

Oklahoma

1.03/5  rDev -37.2%

Positively the worst beer I've ever had in my life. I've had some other rough ones but this one take the cake. I would rate cave creek chili beer miles ahead of this one. Everything about this beer is absolutely horrible. Smell, taste, mouthfeel...all just plain disgusting. Makes me wonder what took so long for this one to be retired. Found this one in the crap beer ice bin at my local ghetto corner store. Never...I repeat...never again. Ice cold it's shotgunable...any warmer, good luck. You have been warned. Just writing about this beer brings back the nightmarish aftertaste...there is really no reason for this foul beverage to exist...it's that bad.

09-22-2012 05:20:03 | More by lokieman
emerge077

1.05/5  rDev -36%

Nothing says happy thanksgiving like shitty malt liquor!

Poured into a mug, it's a dark urine gold orange. Rapid club soda carbonation, bubbles clinging to the sides, despite a thorough glass rinsing. Audibly crackling fizz, thin layer of white foam that leaves behind a feeble scab of skim floating on the surface. Looks like carbonated apple juice.

Reeks of fusel alcohol, grape/apple juice, and envelope glue. Sickly sweet, sharp, and stomach-turning. Pure malaise in a can.

Sweet, green apple jolly rancher flavor, solvent fumes, blatant alcohol, astringent as hell. The tongue numbs on impact. Alcoholic, carbonated grape juice. Harsh finish that lingers, bitter apple seeds, slick with an alcohol burn that's just pure nasty. This is only a feasible drink when partially frozen, and only when down on your luck, out on the curb. Truly the bottom of the barrel. This is probably among the worst, if not the worst beer i've ever drank.

11-25-2011 04:17:53 | More by emerge077
twiggamortis420

1.05/5  rDev -36%

24 oz can pours a dark, desert-tortoise urine gold color with a small, creamy head. Looks evil, thickly viscous and rough.

Nose is absolutely stomach-curdling. Oh my god, the acetone and green apples on this are just rampant and disgusting. This might be the worst smelling beer I have ever had.

The first sip of this made me wretch a little in the mouth, something that has never, NEVER happened to me before. Wow, it is absolutely wretched. This is the most disgusting, foul-tasting brew I have ever had in my 20+ years of beer drinking. This rivals Bud Chelada for worst ever, and I actually think this might surpass it. I cant even stomach 3 sips of this. Holy shit, brewing this must be a complete joke. I knew it would be bad, horrible even...but this takes F-O-U-L to a whole new level!

11-04-2011 22:49:18 | More by twiggamortis420
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

1.08/5  rDev -34.1%

Earthquake High Gravity Lager can only be described as monstrously bad. This hideous product has a thick, off-white head, hazy dark gold appearance, and thin, quickly-dissipating lacing. Aroma is of some sort of over-ripe apples or other fruit. The taste is like foul cough syrup or some type of chemical extract. Mouth-feel is harsh and nauseating. It finishes down the drain. I hated to waste 24 oz. and some money, but this is beyond the pale! Earthquake is an insult to humanity and a shameful product. Not only should you avoid it, you should run from it. Oh, the horror! The horror!

RJT

08-08-2010 16:49:52 | More by RonaldTheriot
ZenAgnostic

1.1/5  rDev -32.9%

12oz can poured into a Budweiser pint glass. No apparent date, just cryptic numbers on the bottom of the can.

Appearance - Clear copper body. Off-white head in the glass, but when it foamed up upon opening the can it was a light brown color.

Smell - Vinegar. Soy sauce. Alochol. Dark fruit. Not appealing at all.

Taste - Alcohol. Corn. Earth. Musk.

Mouthfeel - Very astringent finish. I can do nothing to prevent making a face.

Overall Drinkability - Probably the worst beer I've had in a long time. This is totally a sink pour.

08-28-2011 19:24:40 | More by ZenAgnostic
JISurfer

South Carolina

1.1/5  rDev -32.9%

I started the night off with the Schlitz VSL, figured it's a good beer to go fishing with. After I had that, I was starting to feel kinda good, but I didn't have anymore. I went down to the corner gas station to see what they had, as well as get a beef stick for my wifey type. I saw the Earthquake for only $1.50, plus it was 12%, AND it was cold. I went against my better judgement and got it. Pretty much tasted like poorly made moonshine beer. I say that, because I've had good moonshine, which this was nothing like. It did start to taste a little better and made it more drinkable, as I got to the bottom, but I think we know why that happened. Never again, but I'm glad I survived the Earthquake and the After Shocks.

08-12-2010 14:53:02 | More by JISurfer
Avagadro

1.1/5  rDev -32.9%

A: can is poorly designed, but big with the abv listed proudly and large.
S: diesel fuel, acetone, and other solvent-esque characters dominate the nose.
T: I was literally stunned by the flavor. It was as of an earthquake hit me at first sip. This stuff is just awful.
M: thin bodied, but nothing. Is really wrong with it.
D: this is just awful. I have never developed a headache before finishing my first brew. That is, until I found Earthquake. Avoid.

11-06-2009 03:49:46 | More by Avagadro
Psychromatic

Alabama

1.15/5  rDev -29.9%

Executive Summary (as if any executives would drink this swill): The name is spot-on. Drink this, and you may very well be shortly experiencing one -- right in your belly. It is THE most vile brew I've ever had the misfortune to experience.

A: Chernobyl-glow amber fluid, but I'm sure there was more head to the waters around Pripyat than one could find in this.

S: Alcohol, and not a bashful amount. I could imagine my poor, tortured olfactories kicking up their wee heels and dying under the onslaught. Along with the pronounced alcohol scent comes a horrific sourness that manages to make the experience even worse.

T: Alcohol and rotting sweet-corn. The only way one can drink this at all is to have it ice-cold, so that the flavor doesn't come through so much. I tried quaffing a can of this at room temperature and found myself gagging before I'd done three sips. I've had some fairly low beers, but none have made me retch the way this one does.

M: Watery knives slashing the delicate tissues within my mouth. I've had other 24-proof brews that aren't nearly as much an assault on the inside of my face. With Earthquake, the jagged edges aren't softened at all.

D: It's a challenge to finish even a single 16-oz can of this nastiness, what with my belly constantly trying to push it right back out.

I'm the sort of fellow who'll happy slug down the much-reviled Steel Reserve as a daily drink... but this stuff? I don't even want it at 79 cents a pint.

01-14-2011 08:41:12 | More by Psychromatic
zacgosteli

Washington

1.2/5  rDev -26.8%

Quite possibly one of the worst liquids to ever come in contact with my taste buds. I got a root canal about two hours ago, and my mouth found that a little less offensive. The taste was poor, unlike other beers i've had, it was strongly masked with artificial flavors. The smell was so shitty and thick that I actually felt it enter my nasal cavities. Don't get me wrong, who doesn't love buying several ounces of cheap beer for very little money? but I'd rather pass and drink my own piss.

03-29-2011 21:56:38 | More by zacgosteli