Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%) - City Brewing Company, LLC

Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%)Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%)

awful

City Brewing Company, LLC visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 07-12-2009)
2.58/5  rDev +57.3%

What to drink when the wife is decorating for Christmas? Answer: anything that increases tolerance and numbs the senses! Why not a new to me 12% potential drain poor in a can!

Pours a pleasant looking clear gold with a initially big white hat. Lots of carbonation although the head dropped to a cover in under a minute. leaves a sheet of receding lace throughout the session.

Smells of sweet green apples...and....

Taste is of the same green apples, sweet grainy adjuncts and a bit of alcohol on the finish...mouthfeel is a bit north of thin with still rampant carbonation.

Basically a more drinkable version of this genre compared to Stack.Not worth the 2.95 the local bev joint charged me though.

1.05/5  rDev -36%

Nothing says happy thanksgiving like shitty malt liquor!

Poured into a mug, it's a dark urine gold orange. Rapid club soda carbonation, bubbles clinging to the sides, despite a thorough glass rinsing. Audibly crackling fizz, thin layer of white foam that leaves behind a feeble scab of skim floating on the surface. Looks like carbonated apple juice.

Reeks of fusel alcohol, grape/apple juice, and envelope glue. Sickly sweet, sharp, and stomach-turning. Pure malaise in a can.

Sweet, green apple jolly rancher flavor, solvent fumes, blatant alcohol, astringent as hell. The tongue numbs on impact. Alcoholic, carbonated grape juice. Harsh finish that lingers, bitter apple seeds, slick with an alcohol burn that's just pure nasty. This is only a feasible drink when partially frozen, and only when down on your luck, out on the curb. Truly the bottom of the barrel. This is probably among the worst, if not the worst beer i've ever drank.

1.05/5  rDev -36%

24 oz can pours a dark, desert-tortoise urine gold color with a small, creamy head. Looks evil, thickly viscous and rough.

Nose is absolutely stomach-curdling. Oh my god, the acetone and green apples on this are just rampant and disgusting. This might be the worst smelling beer I have ever had.

The first sip of this made me wretch a little in the mouth, something that has never, NEVER happened to me before. Wow, it is absolutely wretched. This is the most disgusting, foul-tasting brew I have ever had in my 20+ years of beer drinking. This rivals Bud Chelada for worst ever, and I actually think this might surpass it. I cant even stomach 3 sips of this. Holy shit, brewing this must be a complete joke. I knew it would be bad, horrible even...but this takes F-O-U-L to a whole new level!

I must admit I bought this beer at a gas station as a novelty and a joke. I knew exactly what I was getting into and boy was I right. To say this tastes like battery acid would be a compliment. This beer has an unnatural golden hue, a horrendous aroma that I can not quite explain, the most carbonation I have ever seen in a beer, and honestly I couldn't drink more than 2 ounces of the 24 ounce can. Stay away. This is terrible, unless you want to play a prank on a friend or fellow beer enthusiast. I hope this post does not get deleted, it is not meant as a slam. This is just really that bad. It has an F rating for a reason.

1.1/5  rDev -32.9%

12oz can poured into a Budweiser pint glass. No apparent date, just cryptic numbers on the bottom of the can.

Appearance - Clear copper body. Off-white head in the glass, but when it foamed up upon opening the can it was a light brown color.

Smell - Vinegar. Soy sauce. Alochol. Dark fruit. Not appealing at all.

Taste - Alcohol. Corn. Earth. Musk.

Mouthfeel - Very astringent finish. I can do nothing to prevent making a face.

Overall Drinkability - Probably the worst beer I've had in a long time. This is totally a sink pour.

1.75/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Dark clear golden in color. Head is white with very little retention. Looks highly carbonated. Pretty average for this style. Smells very sweet. Maybe some Over ripened apples and grapes with trace amounts of grains and an alcohol undertone. Very sweet taste. Taste artificially sweetened. Fruit and alcohol. Leaves a nasty chemical aftertaste. Kinda like jungle juice. Pretty bad. Mouth feel is thick and syrupy. Gross.

O - This is a drain pour. This beer is horrible. Stay away from this one

2.25/5  rDev +37.2%

Can generously provided by t0rin0. One of the Malt Liquor Tasting leftovers that we're slowly working through. Served in a BeerAdvocate taster glass. Poured out a few oz for our homies who couldn't be there.

A - Big white foam quickly settles to a thin ring and some spotty lace. Transparent golden body, with big bubbles adhering to the sides of the glass.

S - Sugar, corn, grape juice, Kool-Aid, and some obvious fusel alcohols. It's a malt liquor alright, but it's far from the worst one we've had.

T - Taste is a step down, with mostly sweet corn and grain alcohol that gets increasingly obvious towards the finish. That being said, not entirely unpalatable.

M - Surprisingly low carbonation, medium-full body, some definite alcohol warmth but otherwise quite smooth.

D - Like Evil Eye, this was only somewhat bad, and not epic bad. A large portion of the can was actually consumed (albeit by a large group of people).

1.4/5  rDev -14.6%

For some reason I feel compelled to buy this crap every so often. You know, I'm out of town, in a hotel, and want a can of something boozey (finding a bottle opener would be too challenging). Then I am regretful.

This stuff is nasty. Smells like alcohol. Tastes like a combination of syrupy artificial sweet chemicals mixed with alcohol. Highly carbonated. Yes...It will get you drunk on the cheap. But it will not be a pleasant journey.

1.4/5  rDev -14.6%

This thing smells like apple cider. If someone handed it to me and told me it was apple cider, I would be fooled based on smell. Colour too, actually. It's a bright, vibrant yellow. Could be mildly radioactive. Maybe the brain tumors that would induce could add to the cheap buzz.
Oh crap, time to take a sip. It was bad, but not worse than I expected. It tastes kind of like alcohol and wood, not unlike a bad whiskey, actually. It burns on the way down, which is not something I generally associate with lager...or ANY beer for that matter. Other than that, it has a sweet, solvent flavour. Alcohol flavour is definitely dominant. It's unlike anything, I've had before so I honestly find it somewhat intriguing. It's somewhat reminiscent of sipping on bad liquor. The fuel aftertaste is quite terrible. Sort of nauseating. However, this might taste a TINY bit BETTER than Steel Reserve, which is really the test here. This is definitely one of the two worst beers I've ever tasted, but it is difficult to decide if it is the absolute worst. I'll try to finish the whole thing and then decide. The ONE redeeming quality of Steel Reserve is that I DIDN'T feel dying after I drank it. Let's see what kind of punch this thing packs. The fun kind or the deadly kind.
So....after successfully completing consumption of the 24 oz. can, I feel OK. Don't want to go into a coma or die. This stuff is SLIGHTLY better than steel reserve. It's had an oddly negative effect on my sexual drive, but when you're in a long-term relationship, that can be surprisingly helpful.
Thus, I feel compelled to rate this above Steel Reserve.

The liquid was a strong dehydrated-urine yellow as it was poured down the sink. There were some bubbles here and there that quickly faded and washed away.

The smell was like Steel Reserve filtered through a permanent marker.

I made it to one single sip and then passed it around the room. The taste was almost completely unlike anything I'd ever put in my mouth before. If there's one thing this beer has, it's staying power. I ate ice cream, fishy crackers, more beer and sweetened iced tea, but nothing helped. The taste was there in the back of my mouth for about two hours. Not bad for $1.49.

The closest thing I can compare the mouthfeel to is making out with a hobo who's been doing shots of rubbing alcohol and chasing it with turpentine.

It made the can of Four Loko I had sitting around taste like ambrosia.

1.93/5  rDev +17.7%

Well its cheap and strong but man does it taste bad. It grows on you a little as you drink, but I can't say I plan on buying this stuff again. It kind of tastes like an energy drink at times. It reminds me of something a High Schooler would try to steal from a convenience store.

1.2/5  rDev -26.8%

Quite possibly one of the worst liquids to ever come in contact with my taste buds. I got a root canal about two hours ago, and my mouth found that a little less offensive. The taste was poor, unlike other beers i've had, it was strongly masked with artificial flavors. The smell was so shitty and thick that I actually felt it enter my nasal cavities. Don't get me wrong, who doesn't love buying several ounces of cheap beer for very little money? but I'd rather pass and drink my own piss.

Didn't feel the need to dirty a glass with this one.

Bought this one the other day late night at the gas station because all the liquor stores were closed. Thought it was sketchy right from the get go but when I got home I studied the can to reveal to my horror that it is made by the makers of four loko.

The color of this one is a mystery to me and I don't want to know what it actually is.

The smell of this one smelled like a stronger alcohol version of bud light.

When I went to take a sip of this thing I was pretty hesitant because it is made by drink4 , whos fruity malt beverages do not appeal to me at all. Sure enough they fooled me into spending 3 bills on this four loko disguised as a beer. It tastes like beer for a second at first then turns into the fruity battery acid flavored mess that is four loko. For those of you that don't know about these creations from Satan, they are supposed to taste like various different fruit flavors but they all end up tasting like a fat pile of throw up. They give you an instant heart burn and usually make you pee out of your mouth the next morning.

The mouthfeel of this is acidic and fruity with a bunch of carbonation and evil mixed inside.

Overall I took one drink, marveled at the fact they disguised four loko in a beer can and immediately threw it in a volcano.

1.85/5  rDev +12.8%

16oz can drunk straight from the can
A: Didn't even give it the time of day
S: Some sort of over-ripe apples or other fruit
T: cough syrup and sour malt-hop mash; alcoholic
M: Pretty bad; kinda like drinking watered-down cough syrup
D: Actually, fairly drinkable; pretty much brewed to be a high-alcohol, high consumption "get drunk" beer

1.58/5  rDev -3.7%

This is some kick butt, bang for your buck, hold your nose, feel it in your toes, malt liquor. I think it would be better for antifreeze for your car than human consumption, hey for the money and if you want to get launched, this is the right brew for you. The color is a 6 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell of malt and alcohol. Taste is sort of harsh, dry, sweet malt. Some feeling of cream in my mouth, but really dry. Sure would not want to drink many of these, but I am sure the second would be better than the first because your taste buds would be numb from the 12 percent alcohol by volume.

1.15/5  rDev -29.9%

Executive Summary (as if any executives would drink this swill): The name is spot-on. Drink this, and you may very well be shortly experiencing one -- right in your belly. It is THE most vile brew I've ever had the misfortune to experience.

A: Chernobyl-glow amber fluid, but I'm sure there was more head to the waters around Pripyat than one could find in this.

S: Alcohol, and not a bashful amount. I could imagine my poor, tortured olfactories kicking up their wee heels and dying under the onslaught. Along with the pronounced alcohol scent comes a horrific sourness that manages to make the experience even worse.

T: Alcohol and rotting sweet-corn. The only way one can drink this at all is to have it ice-cold, so that the flavor doesn't come through so much. I tried quaffing a can of this at room temperature and found myself gagging before I'd done three sips. I've had some fairly low beers, but none have made me retch the way this one does.

M: Watery knives slashing the delicate tissues within my mouth. I've had other 24-proof brews that aren't nearly as much an assault on the inside of my face. With Earthquake, the jagged edges aren't softened at all.

D: It's a challenge to finish even a single 16-oz can of this nastiness, what with my belly constantly trying to push it right back out.

I'm the sort of fellow who'll happy slug down the much-reviled Steel Reserve as a daily drink... but this stuff? I don't even want it at 79 cents a pint.

24 oz. can.

pours out of the can a glowing gold colour...it almost seems like it could glow in the dark! a relatively modest head appears and dies down quickly leaving some sparse lace. weird fruity aroma....combination of green apples and vanilla...some bubble gum too. doesn't smell bad, just not right! whoa baby...the taste is a sickly sweet mouth jarring combination of rubbing alcohol and corn syrup. more fruity esthers and plastic phenols abound to really make for an interesting flavour profile. instant belly warmer. i'm sipping this and it's a chore. i'm getting dizzy already. heavy handed body and slick oily mouthfeel. poor drinkability.

oh boy...this brew should be poured into shot glasses and chased with tequila!! i'm not sure what redeeming qualities this has other than to get a big buzz on quickly and violently. this might be good to boil some brats in...i see no other use for this vile, yet "flavourful" liquid. ugh.

2.03/5  rDev +23.8%

There are several ways to look at this beer. One is that it's just malt liquor crap, but one is also that it's a bit of a new style. And I wonder, if one of America's funky craft breweries produced this would it be better received? I think probably so. And on that note, I don't normally mention packaging (because we're really just interested in the beer here), but the graphics on the can really do make an impression, and most likely not for the beter. So let's get to it.

The body is a hazy deep golden that appears almost orange in a pint glass. The creamy white head settles quickly and leaves little lacing behind, if at all (there are some spots and streaks here and there). Of course, in a beer that's 12% alc./vol. that's somewhat to be expected.

The aroma is oddly reminiscent of many malternatives. It's fruity like apple juice and fruit punch combined; and there's a clear note of alcohol and solvent. If there are any hops present, I can't find them beyond the esters.

The flavor is exactly as the aroma indicates it will be. It's fruity, a hint tangy (or biting on the tongue), cidery, and clearly hot with alcohol. I get some ethyl acetate coming through pretty distinctly; and it's definitely hot (there's a bit of the peppery spice that comes with that). I'm also finding some plastic-like phenols as well in the finish, where it also sweetens up for a quick bit. I'm sure that there are enough hops in here to meet the legal requirements of "beer" (probably from liquid extract), but it seems as if the drying alcohol is all that's there to balance the sweet malt.

As to drinkability... I personally have a fairly bad reaction to higher alcohols, leaving my face and ears to turn red as I get very hot in the face - and that happened to me only 3 or 4 ounces into this! I can drink distilled liquors (or wine, which is usually about 12%), but not this unrefined stuff, so that cuts down its drinkability for me. Beyond that, I'm not sure I care for the flavor at all - or that anyone would. If I was going to drink this I'd at least want the 'fruit cushion' of a JOOZE or FOUR-O LOKO. They may use lager yeast, and it's certainly high gravity, but this is far from what I'd consider a "high gravity lager" as there are really no hops to it at all.

I bought this for a novelty to see how bad the highest alcohol content malt liquor I have ever seen could be. For a dollar and some change for a pounder can you're definitely getting the bang for your buck but why would you want it if you have to drink this beer. Pours like apple juice minimally carbonated, faint fizzy white head wispy thin lace. Aroma has tart alcohol/cidery greeen apple notes/and booze of course. A cooked vegetable metallic character in the finish, almost like there's a penny aging in the bottom of the can. Flavor induces the gag reflux, worst tasting creation fusel alcohol harsh finish cloying sweet green apple tartness, completely terrible in everyway. I will never go down this road again. Mouthfeel again cloying fizzy carbonation doesn't carry the medium bodied malt liquor very well. Drinkability this is quite the train wreck of a beer drinking experience, only the brave will attempt and the crazy will drink the whole can. Mine went down the drain, yet I'm satisfied by the experiement.

2.33/5  rDev +42.1%

Pours a rusty-golden in color ("copper", I suppose) topped with a rocky off-white head. Head falls at an average pace, leaving just a bit of clingy lace.

The smell is very, very sweet. It smells like what it is, a sweet, malty pale lager, maybe a bit of sour-ish apple cider in there, and honey-ish notes, but this is literally nothing to write home about. No hop presence here, vegetal notes, boozy, slightly phenolic, industrial solvent notes, burning sensation . . .

Sweet and acrid on the first sip, but this is hardly a sippin' beer. This is something to get wrecked on. HOT, boozy, any flavor here tastes like burning and prickly needles in my tongue. Ouch! To be fair, I've enjoyed eisbocks with similar phenolic characteristics to this, so I'd say this one might appeal to the folks that dig big, burly super-lagers, but there's no finesse here. The malt base needs some hop bitterness and it just ain't here...

Body is thin-yet-treacly. More burning as it settles in my belly... for what it is (12% -- holy crap!) this is quite drinkable, but I just can't think of very many people wanting to drink more than about 2 ounces of this and then doing a drain pour. This reminds me of the time I handed some n00bish friends of mine some ice-cold cans of 'Bavaria 8.6', which they promptly dubbed "Super Beer!" About half the folks couldn't stomach the solvent-like character of that stuff (I liked it...) and poured 'em. One guy drank the entire can and promptly locked himself in the bathroom for three hours.

Sadly, Earthquake is way, way cheaper and easier to come by than the fabled Bavaria 8.6, and it's a wonder I don't see more of these cans down by the river . . . this one's definitely not for the faint of heart!

Served chilled in a Paulaner Mass (sacrilege!)

1.5/5  rDev -8.5%

I grab this every now and then when i want a cheap buzz and usually start with Busch or some other cheap adjunct and finish with this to cut costs.
If you want to get drunk and only have a couple dollars then this is your ideal beer. It's 12% and pretty thin so it goes down fast if you're good with bad tastes. If you arent, then adding a little orange or grape juice to it is a nice ghetto technique I use on occassion.

a - looks like a malt liquor of course, maybe a little darker, red-orange.
s - smells like a cross between diluted everclear and diluted whiskey
t - basically like the smell but factor in the malt liquor taste
m - typical malt liquor mouthfeel, i doubt anyone is actually reading the reviews of these beers
d - its not really "drinkable" but its somewhat chuggable. on a budget? strong taste buds? this is your beer.

1.63/5  rDev -0.6%

consumed 09-17-2009, 24oz can into pint glass.

This golden colored beer poured out into a pint glass with an ok head that quickly disappeared with little to no lacing on the glass. The smell...well the initial smell was very sweet..definitely smell the malts with a strong boozy odor. Also hints of grape everywhere. The first sip was very very very boozy. It was like taking a shot of grape liquor. Next drink was more sweetness with grain & malt hints. had no hop presence what so ever. the taste is finished with that overpowering burning of the alcohol. it was like sipping vodka or tequila. Pretty hard to bear at first, but after a few sips it comes somewhat easy. Very metallic, sweet, and a bit grainy after you get used to it. light to medium bodied with about medium carbonation.

drinkability: for me it was hard to drink at first, but after a few swigs it mellowed out. still not the best drinkability.

1.1/5  rDev -32.9%

I started the night off with the Schlitz VSL, figured it's a good beer to go fishing with. After I had that, I was starting to feel kinda good, but I didn't have anymore. I went down to the corner gas station to see what they had, as well as get a beef stick for my wifey type. I saw the Earthquake for only $1.50, plus it was 12%, AND it was cold. I went against my better judgement and got it. Pretty much tasted like poorly made moonshine beer. I say that, because I've had good moonshine, which this was nothing like. It did start to taste a little better and made it more drinkable, as I got to the bottom, but I think we know why that happened. Never again, but I'm glad I survived the Earthquake and the After Shocks.

Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%) from City Brewing Company, LLC