Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%) - City Brewing Company, LLC

Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%)Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%)

awful

City Brewing Company, LLC visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 07-12-2009)
1.08/5  rDev -34.1%

Earthquake High Gravity Lager can only be described as monstrously bad. This hideous product has a thick, off-white head, hazy dark gold appearance, and thin, quickly-dissipating lacing. Aroma is of some sort of over-ripe apples or other fruit. The taste is like foul cough syrup or some type of chemical extract. Mouth-feel is harsh and nauseating. It finishes down the drain. I hated to waste 24 oz. and some money, but this is beyond the pale! Earthquake is an insult to humanity and a shameful product. Not only should you avoid it, you should run from it. Oh, the horror! The horror!

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Aug 08, 2010

This is by far the most disgusting thing I have ever drank in my entire life.

I now use this to remove ink and paint stains, and fuel my car.

It has a very yellow color, very very dark,with a kind of red hue, almost like a mix of unhealthy urine and beer.
The head on it was so thick and slimy looking.

It kind of looks like somebody put cigarette buts out it in and then spat in it for a half hour

But the can looks pretty cool, I will give it that

The smell is very wine like, with a hint of burning rubber.

The mouth feel can only be described as "slime" , it leaves a film in any glass you poor it in.

The taste is so awful, It tastes like a mix of gasoline, Camo black ice grade malt beverage, and wine.

I imagine drinking urine would taste better, and this is not an exaggeration.

As for undrinkability
I use to shotgun these things with my friends, and now just looking at it makes me cringe and almost induces vomiting.

If you ever drink this warm you will never taste anything ever again. It will kill any taste you have in your mouth

This should not even be on this site.

They were a dollar each and had 12% ABV

Only buy this if you do not care for taste and just want to get drunk as cheap as possible

Drink it fast, You have been warned

cyberdemigod, Aug 06, 2010

Don't really know what to say other than this is incredibly terrible beer. It's so sweet and vile tasting. You can literally taste the alcohol. The aftertaste makes you practically gag. There's no hops present in the smell or taste at all. Tastes incredibly boozy and sweet with a smell to match. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this beer. It's good for absolutely nothing except for getting trashed very fast and cheap.

musicawl, Aug 05, 2010
1.02/5  rDev -37.8%

This is beer at its worst. It is extremely boosy smelling. Upon tasting all you can taste it the boosy alcohol and this sickly, bubble-gummy, nasty sweetness that leave the most disgusting after-taste and nasty feeling in the throat that stays for about a half hour. I had to dump my beer mug and the rest of my can into the sink and drink a better beer.

Do yourself a big favor and stay far away from this beer!!! It's good for nothing but getting trashed and getting trashed fast and cheap. But if you're going to do that go for a much better cheap high alcohol beer.

alabencki, Aug 04, 2010

Thanks to blutt59 for sharing this high gravity greatness.

The beer pours a dark yellow color with a white head. The aroma is that of plastic and oil. Seriously, how does a beer smell this bad? The flavor is skunk (not sure how a can gets skunked but it did), citrus fruit and awfulness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. The appearance of the big 24 ounce can is awesome, everything else is terrible.

Mora2000, Jul 05, 2010
1.3/5  rDev -20.7%

A - This is a giant 24 oz man-can that would be at home in any paper sack, and would be the appropriate serving for any occasion held at your cardboard box estate at the most prestigious back-alley address. The brew itself is a clear and dark-amber concoction that looks like a healthy first morning void. Head and lace? Who are we kidding here. We BA's are probably the only people who have ever poured this stuff into anything other than a paper cup or an open mouth.

S - Sweet caramel candy and booze. Smells like the breath of a homeless dude who just found a full packet of Worther's Originals in a dumpster, and chased that candy with a pint of vodka. Diabetics in ketoacidosis have a similar perfume spewing forth from their gullet.

T - Like the "nose" this has a super-sweet and super-boozy character that will put the fear of god into the mind of teetotalers everywhere. This tastes like two girls put sugary caramel candies into their nether regions and then did something unspeakable with a small paper cup.

M - Thick, sugary, husky, and boozy. Finishes with a gin-like herbal fire that warms you from the inside out, but not in a good way.

D - It's honestly not as terrible as I've made it sound, but be warned... this is pure crunk juice at it's finest. Only the most penny pinching connoisseur of the most powerful of gas station offerings will find any joy in this beast. If you are going for this sort of firepower, why not do yourself a favor and just pick up a bottle of the cheapest gin or vodka you and find? If you are going for pure strength (12%? WTF?) , at least with a nice bottle of MadDog 20/20 you might not have to pee every five seconds. After all, cardboard boxes don't have the greatest plumbing in the world... all of that used up Earthquake might just come running back down the gutter into your "recyclable" home.

Note: It is my day off, but I still poured over half of this down the drain because I was starting to feel too dizzy too fast. What the hell, it was only like a dollar fifty.

1 24oz can of 12% ABV beer
=
4 bottles of a 6% craft beer

pmcadamis, Jun 08, 2010
1.93/5  rDev +17.7%

The CANQuest just CANtinues to take me to new and unexpected places. I CANnot tell you how overjoyed I am to be reviewing yet another AmeriCAN Malt Liquor. And from the good people of City BC, LLC, no less. I wonder, as I drink their products (NOT their beers), how they sleep at night. A special circle in Hell must be reserved for purveyors of such swill, or so I would believe if that were my belief system. I am at the mercy of the almighty CAN and so, I proceed only hoping to come out on the other side.

Once I cracked the top, I was committed! The CANQuest will abide nothing less. I saw a finger of bone-white head that looked like something I might see from 7-Up as it popped, fizzled and reduced to wisps in record time. My liver began to hurt. The color was a golden yellow with NE-quality clarity. And now, for the moment of truth - I leaned in, taking a deep whiff. Yoi! It smelled like a plastics manufacturing plant or maybe the production facility for styrofoam. My liver began banging around, hoping for escape in the face of the inevitable. I took a good mouthful, in case I might have to abandon the quest. Whew! I was suddenly sad that I did not have a gas station nearby as I could sell someone the remainder for their tank. I got an initial flavor of VERY green apples which gave way to a flavor resembling only the finest unleaded gasoline. Perfect, if you are looking to commit suicide by beer. The finish was hot in a molten way. I was afraid to do anything that might possibly create a spark. My liver disengaged and began shoving other organs out of its way in its search for an exit. My eyes began to water and I could feel the suction pump vacuuming the moisture out of my brain en route to a stellar hangover. By my second mouthful, I was praying to a God in whose existence I was heretofore an unbeliever. Remember the old saw about atheists and foxholes? Incoming! I began to taste cotton candy, another sign of a quality beer. I refilled my glass, watching it come out of the CAN like viscous apple juice. This is wrong on so many levels, it is not even quantifiable. I began to have convos with my Pops, my grandparents, and my uncle Rick, all long deceased, ala Willy Loman in "Death of a Salesman". I see dead people! Why are they all disapproving of my beer? CAN it be that I may be on my way to join them? I am pressing on. By my third swallow, I was drooling openly, unable to control my motor functions and preparing to urinate in the sink. Damn, this is real good! I am coming around to their POV - nothing like a good, cheap erasure of my mind on a Friday night, especially on the cheap. Cheep, cheap. Hoo ha. Who R U? I CANnot open the bay doors right now, Dave. Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do ... I happy to pleased meet you are. Where CAN I get some more of this jaunt? Taa daa. I'm here! Lucky you. Wait, what was I supposed to be doing? Sorry, I've got to go, in order to operate a construction crane high above multiple people. Good times!

woodychandler, May 22, 2010
2.23/5  rDev +36%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts. Taste is of alcohol, maybe a touch of malts. Feels light in the mouth with a bit of alcohol burn, and it was a real challenge for me to finish this can. Overall the only reason to buy this beer would be to get slam faced as cheaply as possible.

tone77, Apr 12, 2010
2.83/5  rDev +72.6%

Compliments of AKBelgianBeast in part of my losing the LNBA FF.

A- The beer had a sizable head at first, then shrank as quickly as a boner does when confronted by a mouthful of razor blades. Darker gold color then your typical beer of this style and origin.

S- The smell is actually kinda nice. It is fruity with an effervescence to it. The fruit smell is that of...oh crap this reminds me of MD 20/20, the red flavor mixed with the orange flavor. Even has that harsh sweet alcohol undertone.

T- Wow this is sweet! It's like someone used pixie sticks as a swizzle stick. Perhaps pixie sticks were used in the primary. This totally has the feel and taste of MD 20/20 with the sweetness and fruit flavors it has. Man this is sweetly rough.

M- Thick and ultra sweet. The carbination helps, but not much.

D- I'd say chug this o

Wetpaperbag, Apr 11, 2010
1.63/5  rDev -0.6%

I am obligated to give Andrew another huge shout out for breaking this one out alongside that Colt 45 HG. This one pours a yellow-gold color (shocking). Smells of grain, plastic, and apples. Tastes of grapes, sugar sweetness, metallic, astringent. Finish is tart with plastic and cookielike malt. Medium bodied, I think, not sure due to huge sodapop fizz carbonation. There is no reason to drink this. There's none.

vacax, Apr 10, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -23.8%

Big old 24oz can.

It pours a clear gold colour, 1" head of foam, and a ton of bubbles.

The smell has a big grain and sweet notes and quite a big alcohol aroma. Fancy that.

The taste is cloyingly sweet from the added sugars to bump up the abv. Wow. The grain in the smell is nowhere to be found...just super sickly sweetness and a ton of booze and some near burning of my throat in the swallow. Yuckity yuck.

Medium body lots of carbonation.

Drinkability? It's off the charts in the wrong direction! No way will I finish this one...

Bitterbill, Mar 06, 2010
2.53/5  rDev +54.3%

Unlike many of the reviews on Earthquake, this review is coming from someone who's very well versed in strong bad beers, from malt liquor to high gravities. This review will come from someone who has a lot of experience with this class of beers.

On nights I want to drink a beer with a simple character, Hurricane is my beer of choice. I love strong beers. Anything from High Gravities to Barleywines to Imperial Stouts to IPA's. High Gravities are like my Keystone. Tonight, I was going to buy my usual 2 24oz cans of Hurricane, but I saw a can of Earthquake. I have never seen this beer before. When I saw a 12% ABV, it was definitely getting a try from me. With that said, I went ahead and started drinking the Earthquake immediately when I went home. I didn't feel a need to throw it in the freezer.

A: This class of beer doesn't belong in a glass. Great looking can.

S: Sweet fruity corn smell followed by a faint metallic smell.

T: The taste is exactly what you'd expect from this class of beers. Surprisingly, it doesn't taste as bad as I thought it would. If your well versed in this class of beer, you shouldn't have a problem drinking it. Very sweet corn taste followed by a very upfront alcohol finished with a slight metallic and corny aftertaste. This is on the sweet side, but not unbearable.

M: Very upfront with the sweet taste and alcohol finish. Average carbonation.

D: This is not a beer for the faint at heart. If you've never had this class of beers, don't waste your money. You'll find this beer unbearable. This is an average tasting high gravitiy beer that gets high marks on its alcohol contents. I've had many high gravities that taste worse with a much lower ABV such as Old English HG800. The drunkability is amazing. 1 can almost feels like drinking 2 Hurricane's. I'll definitely buy Earthquake again. It'll be a great addition to my bad beer nights, drinking 1 Hurricane and 1 Earth.

AlmostFamous, Mar 01, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -23.8%

I like to consider myself a connoisseur of fine craft brews, but occasionally you just want to tie one on. That is where Earthquake comes in. It is not for the faint of heart, but if you are not too concerned about the pleasure of the drinking process itself this could be for you.

A - a fizzy transparent yellowish/amber, definitely the most appealing aspect of this beer. In fact, if you haven't caught a whiff of it already, you might convince yourself it could be good.

S - like a fire at a mortuary. Also notes of over ripe fruits, and a little bit of licorice and coffee.

T- My gracious goodness. Have you ever tested a 9-volt battery on your tongue? That's about what this tastes like, along with over powering sugary sweetness, the potent alcohol backing is the only thing that keeps you going at this point.

M- Like the wrath of the gods.

D- the only category besides appearance that gets over a one, and once again, its ONLY because its strong and cheap.

Hompitron, Mar 01, 2010

A: The pour is a fizzy, light golden color with pretty much no head.

S: Oh wow, this is bad. The nose is a terrible combination of sugar, caramel, and cream with some coffee and grape juice. The alcohol is incredibly well pronounced.

T: I wish I could give this lower than a one (I gave a one to the appearance to compensate). This is the most god-awful tasting beverage to ever grace my tongue. The coffee, caramel, grapes, abrasive alcohol, metal, and absolutely disgustingly sweet...what were they thinking?

M: Thin bodied, highly carbonated, and hot from the booze, even when ice cold.

D: This is the worst thing I've ever had (and I've had a lot of malt liquors). I would never have this again, nor would I suggest anyone consider buying this. The 24 ounce can was about 48 ounces too much.

womencantsail, Feb 28, 2010
1.1/5  rDev -32.9%

A: can is poorly designed, but big with the abv listed proudly and large.
S: diesel fuel, acetone, and other solvent-esque characters dominate the nose.
T: I was literally stunned by the flavor. It was as of an earthquake hit me at first sip. This stuff is just awful.
M: thin bodied, but nothing. Is really wrong with it.
D: this is just awful. I have never developed a headache before finishing my first brew. That is, until I found Earthquake. Avoid.

Avagadro, Nov 06, 2009
1.4/5  rDev -14.6%

Looking for something to get my cheap krunk on with besides four loco I figured I would give this a shot. Not that I was expecting much, but Jesus christ on a squeaky bicycle, this is just horrible.
I drank it straight from the can, as I figured the 1.50 price tag didn't deem it worthy of a pint glass or snifter. The initial taste is tolerable, especially compared to other high alcohol content offerings from the cheap ass section of the convenience store fridge. The after taste though is a harrowing experience. Rubbing alcohol, and a horrible bitterness.
Were I not such a cheap skate and an alcoholic, I would have simply thrown the can away and not bothered to recycle it on ethical grounds alone, as I feel that aluminum tainted with God disproving concoction should never be reintegrated into the planet's beverage holders. But I've finished my buck fifty can, and as expected have a pretty good buzz going. I guess I would say that if you're desperate to get krunk on a fermented beverage, and you happen to lack taste buds, this is the choice for you. For the rest of us looking for a cheap buzz, just buckle down and tolerate tangerine flavored four loco.

Ghenna, Nov 06, 2009
1.43/5  rDev -12.8%

So a friend of mine picked up a tall can for me so we both drank one.

This golden colored beer poured out into a pint glass with an ok head that quickly disappeared with little to no retention on the glass. The smell...well the initial smell was very sweet..definitely smell the malts with a strong boozy odor. Also hints of grape everywhere. The first sip was very very very boozy. It was like taking a shot of grape liquor. Haha. Next drink was more sweet with grain & malt hints with little to no hop presence followed by that overpowering burning alcohol ending. Wow it was like sipping vodka or tequila. Pretty hard to bear at first, but after a few sips it comes somewhat easy. Very metallic, sweet, and a bit malty after you get used to it.

For being very cheap and at 12% abv you cant expect a decent beer, so based on that i'd say the drinkability is somewhat ok. hey what did you expect? haha.

aval89, Sep 17, 2009
1.8/5  rDev +9.8%

Oh lord!... This is not a good idea. This beer was bought while shopping for Ryans Ghetto BIF. My apologies to Naproxen as I sent her a can. The beer was served cold in a pint glass. In all honesty when you buy a tall boy of 12% High Gravity Malt Liquor you know what you are getting yourself into. Why am I doing this to myself? Sometimes I suspect I hate me.

Appearance: The body of the beer is a fizzy golden coloration. The head of the beer beer is a white coloration. Retention of the head is non existant. Doesnt look bad but I suspect this is the high note for this beer.

Smell: Slightly earthy sweet corn syrup aroma. No hops are present. Lots of sweetness this may melt my molars.

Taste: After the smell I cannot say my mouth is watering. This is nearing molar melting sweet. Lots of alcohol sweetened candied candy corn. No off flavors just straight up sweet.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer is very sweet. The body is light actively carbonated. Not really all that drinkable due to super sweetness. In short this is a High Nitro Buzz beer. Serve super cold in the can and drink as fast as you can stand it. Its not gag inducing but there are way better malt liquors.

nlmartin, Sep 08, 2009
1.63/5  rDev -0.6%

For $1.19, 12.0% and 24oz. I just had to do it. Appearance is a light golden yellow with a crisp head. Smell has a sweet sour wine aroma to it. Taste for me is like an underaged fruit wine with the same amount of alchohol. Mouthfeel is a lighter medium and light carbonation. I have to say I'm having a hard time getting through this one, it's rather rich. Test yourself and see what you think.

Bookseeb, Aug 29, 2009
1.4/5  rDev -14.6%

99 cents. 24 fl. oz. can. 12.0% ABV.

Do you really need anyone to tell you how this is going to taste?

I'm not pouring it out of the can, I'm not that crazy.

Smells like Camo products only sweeter and with more grape intensity. Concord grapes and pennies. Oh, and rubbing alcohol.

The aftertaste is horrible and lasts forever. For about one second I can taste something that resemebles maltiness. Sweet, alcohol, grape, bitter.

I'm not a stranger to high gravity malt liquor, and even I make "that face" when drinking this. Straight out of the freezer and below 30 degrees this is manageable. As it warms up you will start to test your gag reflex.

This may be a stepping stone from beer to MD 20/20.

troobie, Jul 22, 2009
2.58/5  rDev +57.3%

24 OZ of 12% Booze for 99 cents, well that just plain says you might go blind! Pretty much this is the unflavored base beer they make the "Four" Alco-pops out of.

Clear golden colored beer with very slight head formation and retention.

Smells light and corny with a slight corn syrup scent. Sweet and corny smell. Scientists with a gas chromatograph can only detect hops. Still no off odors here at all.

Starts out sweet and alcoholic with a slight metal aftertaste to it. If you ever wondered what bock must taste like with no hops, grab one of these and find out. Corn syrup and candy flavor, guessing they are not adding all that much sugar to the Four Series of alco-pops, just brew a beer until it kills the yeast and force carbonate it. Not completely awful, just too sweet.

Mouthfeel is pretty good since this thing is just loaded with unfermented sugars.

Drinkability is OK, but the sweetness is just too much. Run this through a Randall or add about 60 IBUs bitterness and it would be decent. Better than you could expect out of a 24 OZ Ghetto can of beer, still no repeat sale here.

Zorro, Jul 12, 2009