Game Day Ice - City Brewing Company, LLC

awful

City Brewing Company, LLC visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: VaTechHopHead on 04-28-2010)
View: Beers (35) |  Events

Michael_DaBeers_IV

07-03-2013 22:18:14 | More by Michael_DaBeers_IV
UCLABrewN84

2.19/5  rDev +18.4%

Pours a slightly hazy light orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, fruit, and alcohol aromas. Taste is much the same with fruit and alcohol flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a poor beer that honestly tastes like more like a bad wine cooler than beer to me.

06-17-2013 04:45:11 | More by UCLABrewN84

03-23-2012 08:37:48 | More by scosand
axemanbp

Oklahoma

4.03/5  rDev +117.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried this beer for the cost, and retailer was out of my regular. Surprised that it has a pleasently light taste on the tongue. No bad after taste. No head ache which means low sulfates. first few beers, did'nt take so well. after the first session(12 pack) i had my reservations. Then try'd it on the weekend. Very plezzed with it. low cost, Good Buzz, I do recommend it !

02-11-2012 20:25:37 | More by axemanbp
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

2.9/5  rDev +56.8%

Game Day Ice has a very thick, white head and a clear, golden appearance, with some lacing. Aroma is strong on sweet corn, grain husks, and barley. Taste is sweet, corn syrup, barley, somewhat cloying, and it also has a very slight hop bitterness; the IBU must be very low with this one. Mouthfeel is hefty and full, and Game Day Ice finishes ragged, sweet, and mostly dry. For a cheap, budget, store-brand beer, this is not bad. It might be something to pick up if the price is right. Overall, it’s okay.

RJT

11-18-2011 20:37:32 | More by eurogal
djeucalyptus

Oregon

1.48/5  rDev -20%

pours a cornbread yellow hue with a decent two-finger frothy white head that vanishes in a flash and takes its lacing with it.

aroma is somewhere between paint thinner and fermented apple juice, with some ranch doritos mixed in. nothing edible should smell like this.

sweet and sugary, almost like a hard cider, but without any of the pleasantries and enjoyable factors. apple, grain and alcohol. or grain alcohol, if you will. almost hot and potent for the abv. grainy, corny, vegetal finish.

mouth is sticky, slick, and fairly highly carbonated. nothing really good about it.

wow. this might be the cheapest form of alcohol, but no matter how much I wanted a beer, I wouldn't touch this one again. i guess this is what a 25cent glass of beer tastes like. and I feel like I overpayed.

10-02-2011 04:50:16 | More by djeucalyptus
sabinelr

Washington

2.33/5  rDev +25.9%

$2.99 for 12 cans at Grocery Outlet? How can you pass it up? I have drunk Steel Reserve. I have drunk Baltika. I have drunk Gallo Muscatel. I gotta tell you this stuff is better. It has an indefinite cheap beer smell, an unremarkable yellow color, obviously microfiltered, and a overenthusiastic head that fades to there-used-to-be-a-head status in about a minute. A decent swig from a high-class branded pint glass leaves you thinking "there might have been beer there," but finishes off with a mild burn. The ABV isn't impressive, but what is there is nicely balanced by whatever they made this stuff out of. This is definitely down-at-the-shore-with-hotdogs stuff. I would recommend it to people who aren't big craft fans. It's definitely better than Regal Select or Columbia (from the good old days), and even rivals Schmidt (animal beer).

08-15-2011 23:19:49 | More by sabinelr
rodney45

1.18/5  rDev -36.2%

NOTE: i had this a little while ago sitting in front of a 7/11 with my good buddies and this is what i scratched down in my notebook.

A: Unfair to classify since i drank straight from the can, but im assuming its an ungodly light yellow, since i poured the rest out on the pavement.

S: Smells like grapes and my coin jar.

T: Im going to be fair, and its hard, because game day doesnt play fair. At first you get a strong grape and bubblegum taste, but it disappears. It moves away, like a forced eviction, and is left with an ever increasing dry rainwater taste. It tastes like metal off a new york city bridge in late august.

M: Light, quick, and elusive. Not extremely carbonated.

O: Im going to tell you, i drank half this can, and poured the rest out... that is something, because i was sitting in front of a 7/11 with friends. Im going to say this is the worst beer to ever touch my lips.

06-29-2011 08:18:35 | More by rodney45
puboflyons

New Hampshire

1.88/5  rDev +1.6%

From 24 fl. oz can #076O-1226. Sampled on June 5, 2011. The pour is a nright yellow with a quick rising fizzy, white head that disappears quickly. While it looks alright for the style it has more of the adjunct malt liquor character with an odd grape-apple fruity scent and thin malts. The body is thin to medium. The taste is also emboldened with grape-apple sourness and a kind of stale maltiness with a thin backdrop of hops. These kind of beers that are brewed especially for retail chains like 7/11 show both the good and the bad of why craft beer has taken off. Good, in that these retail chains want a piece of the action and attempt to do so by expanding their inventory; but bad because the result is frequently so negative.

06-05-2011 22:12:14 | More by puboflyons
steeldoc36

1.95/5  rDev +5.4%

Looked at it and said, what the hell I'll try it. Its got an interesting name, I'm feeling brave. Well it was an adventure that ended in a buzz induced by a drink that tastes like a beer flavored soda. Does that make any sense? Anyway, I sucked down a 24oz can of it very quickly as the taste that was there deteriorated as the temperature grew warmer. I'm not one to pour out any beer, just muscle it down and get it over with! It had a surprisingly sweet, light alcohol taste. Not much body to it. Not at all what I expected for a adjunct style beer. Not a beer that I will revisit anytime soon...At least not until I get layed off from my job!

04-29-2011 01:25:09 | More by steeldoc36
troobie

1.15/5  rDev -37.8%

I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I just had to chime in on this stuff. I was aware that 7-11 was selling this as a house brand, and it finally showed its ugly face in my town. I bought a couple tallboys of this. I knew it was supposed to be bad, but I enjoy bad beer and thought nothing of it. Well I'm here to tell you this isn't bad... it's wrong!

It smells like grape Hubba Bubba bubble gum. The only thing I can compare it too is 12% ABV Earthquake, or maybe Camo Silver Ice. Either way this smells way too much like artificial grape flavoring. Supporting scents are pennies and garbage water.

The first thing that you notice when taking a drink is that it is sweet in a not natural kind of way. This is way, way sweet. It leaves a sugary residue on your lips. The best way to sum up the taste is sugar covered pennies soaking in a glass of gutter water and White Wolf Vodka with a splash of Four Loko. I can't understand how a beer at 5.5% could leave so much alcohol heat in my mouth, throat, and stomach.

The carbonation is on the light side yet manages to sting the tip of my tongue. Mouthfeel reminds me of Sprite.

I've never had a beer be so bad it was upsetting. Who in the hell approved this? It is almost like Game Day was meant to be a joke but it somehow made it into production. If you're looking for the worst beer you'll ever drink, here you go.

04-28-2011 07:26:09 | More by troobie
SAxDRC5

1.15/5  rDev -37.8%

A: looks like urine. pale yellow, not much head

S: corn and sweet. also metallic

T: tastes like corn malts, sweet taste. aftertaste is absolutely atrocious, like if tequila, rotten meat and butt hole made a weird threesome baby it would be this beer.

M: carbonated and light. Horrible.

O: I'd rather die.

04-01-2011 05:52:39 | More by SAxDRC5
LWG1970

Bought a 12 pack at Jungle Jims for $3.99. I should have known something was WRONG..

THIS BEER IS GOD AWFUL.. HORRIBLE...

It taste like somebody tried to make Mad Dog 20/20 into a BEER.

It smells like Rotten Fruit, and CORN. Looks like a Sick Urine Color. What little Foam it had was gone Seconds after I poured it. Actually made my stomach hurt.

There are FEW beers I have ever been UNABLE to Finish and HAD to pour out, This is ONE of them.

AVOID THIS BEER AT ALL COSTS..

02-19-2011 05:18:08 | More by LWG1970
ommegoose

1.45/5  rDev -21.6%

It was $1.39 at 7-11 for a 24 oz can. I was hoping it would be stronger than 5.5%, but it's not. Here we go.

It looks like a macro lager. There's nothing out of place here. Even holds a fair cap on top. Pale and clear, but sort of dull colored. Hangs a little lacing on the glass as well.

Boozy scent of apple and alcohol. Too cold to start noticing the corn, I assume.

Are my taste buds off? This is oddly fruity. No, it's the grape/apple flavors that turn up in dirt cheap beer. And ugh, the aftertaste is vile and far more present than it should be. Borders on gag-inducing. A favorite like Steel Reserve finishes so much cleaner than this while packing more alcohol. Something very artificial going on here. The grainy flavor I expected isn't really there, nor the corn flakes that something like Icehouse provides. Even the trace amounts of hops one can expect to find in macro lagers are not present. Cheap estery booze flavors seem to dominate.

If I choose to let this linger in my mouth long enough to examine the feel, I find that it's not particularly offensive, but the flavor is gross enough that the total experience is a negative.

Ugh, this is bad, and I am having a hard time imagining warming up to it. I'll stick with Steel Reserve. 5.5% abv is not even enough to result in an effective buzz without choking down a few of these. I think I need to bring out the F. Pay the extra few cents for an Icehouse, PBR, or Steel Reserve, depending on the amount of drunkenness you want to achieve. Pay for this only to tick off the review. It's truly dreadful.

02-16-2011 08:30:28 | More by ommegoose
Bendurgin

Maine

1.08/5  rDev -41.6%

Poured into a pint glass courtisy of my roommate. The appearance is cheap golden yellow with a surprisingly impressive head that sits about a finger high. However, it settles to nothing shortly. I don't know if it's just me but all this cheap swill kind of smells the same. Medicinal with sweet corn and grains. Not much to it but it's overly sweet in the aroma. This is terrible. I feel like I'm punishing my liver for no reason. This just taste bad. It's not even really worth trying to geek out and describe the how unpleasant corn is in my beer. Overall, this isn't even worth a novelty.

02-10-2011 04:52:49 | More by Bendurgin