Game Day Ice - City Brewing Company, LLC

awful

City Brewing Company, LLC visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: VaTechHopHead on 04-28-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

24 oz can purchased for 99 cents at a gas station in Joliet.

A - Yellow and fizzy.

S - Foul. Noxious armpit like aromas steam out of this brew.

T - Chemicals, bleach, and spit. Bleh.

M - Super-carbonated and acidic.

D - No thank you. This was worse than I could have ever expected.

pmcadamis, Jun 22, 2010

caverog, Nov 30, 2013

avaldivia, Nov 20, 2011

jik18, Aug 12, 2012

Appearance: The can itself is average. Easily the best part. The beer? I have no idea. I imagine it is a black hole, sucking the soul out of everything around it.

Smell: It reminds me of a store I was in that had a sewage spill. I'd like to say it smells of "hops" (there are none), "malts," or even "beer," but it just doesn't.

Taste: This is the taste of shame. I detect a bit of metallic orange that sets in after like, a second, of the drink touching my tongue. Willingly drinking this, however, makes me wonder what I'm doing with my life where God would allow such a curse to be fall me.

Mouthfeel: I try not to keep it in the mouth long enough to actually give this a rating.

Drinkability: Nonexistent. You'd have to remove your taste buds to find this remotely drinkable.

I originally purchased this as a form of insect control for some plants of mine as a "beer trap". I have a feeling it won't even be good at that.

Carpathia, Jun 23, 2010

koof, Jun 17, 2012

Bought a 12 pack at Jungle Jims for $3.99. I should have known something was WRONG..

THIS BEER IS GOD AWFUL.. HORRIBLE...

It taste like somebody tried to make Mad Dog 20/20 into a BEER.

It smells like Rotten Fruit, and CORN. Looks like a Sick Urine Color. What little Foam it had was gone Seconds after I poured it. Actually made my stomach hurt.

There are FEW beers I have ever been UNABLE to Finish and HAD to pour out, This is ONE of them.

AVOID THIS BEER AT ALL COSTS..

LWG1970, Feb 19, 2011
1.08/5  rDev -41.6%

Poured into a pint glass courtisy of my roommate. The appearance is cheap golden yellow with a surprisingly impressive head that sits about a finger high. However, it settles to nothing shortly. I don't know if it's just me but all this cheap swill kind of smells the same. Medicinal with sweet corn and grains. Not much to it but it's overly sweet in the aroma. This is terrible. I feel like I'm punishing my liver for no reason. This just taste bad. It's not even really worth trying to geek out and describe the how unpleasant corn is in my beer. Overall, this isn't even worth a novelty.

Bendurgin, Feb 10, 2011
1.15/5  rDev -37.8%

A: looks like urine. pale yellow, not much head

S: corn and sweet. also metallic

T: tastes like corn malts, sweet taste. aftertaste is absolutely atrocious, like if tequila, rotten meat and butt hole made a weird threesome baby it would be this beer.

M: carbonated and light. Horrible.

O: I'd rather die.

SAxDRC5, Apr 01, 2011
1.15/5  rDev -37.8%

Has to be one of the worst tasting beers I have ever tasted. My friend boght me one from 711 and I really really tried to enjoy it but half way into the tall can I had to throw it away. The main thing I hate about this beer was the taste just horrible. Please don't even bother with it save your 1.79 and buy something else.

dopehousex3, Aug 28, 2010
1.15/5  rDev -37.8%

I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I just had to chime in on this stuff. I was aware that 7-11 was selling this as a house brand, and it finally showed its ugly face in my town. I bought a couple tallboys of this. I knew it was supposed to be bad, but I enjoy bad beer and thought nothing of it. Well I'm here to tell you this isn't bad... it's wrong!

It smells like grape Hubba Bubba bubble gum. The only thing I can compare it too is 12% ABV Earthquake, or maybe Camo Silver Ice. Either way this smells way too much like artificial grape flavoring. Supporting scents are pennies and garbage water.

The first thing that you notice when taking a drink is that it is sweet in a not natural kind of way. This is way, way sweet. It leaves a sugary residue on your lips. The best way to sum up the taste is sugar covered pennies soaking in a glass of gutter water and White Wolf Vodka with a splash of Four Loko. I can't understand how a beer at 5.5% could leave so much alcohol heat in my mouth, throat, and stomach.

The carbonation is on the light side yet manages to sting the tip of my tongue. Mouthfeel reminds me of Sprite.

I've never had a beer be so bad it was upsetting. Who in the hell approved this? It is almost like Game Day was meant to be a joke but it somehow made it into production. If you're looking for the worst beer you'll ever drink, here you go.

troobie, Apr 28, 2011
1.18/5  rDev -36.2%

NOTE: i had this a little while ago sitting in front of a 7/11 with my good buddies and this is what i scratched down in my notebook.

A: Unfair to classify since i drank straight from the can, but im assuming its an ungodly light yellow, since i poured the rest out on the pavement.

S: Smells like grapes and my coin jar.

T: Im going to be fair, and its hard, because game day doesnt play fair. At first you get a strong grape and bubblegum taste, but it disappears. It moves away, like a forced eviction, and is left with an ever increasing dry rainwater taste. It tastes like metal off a new york city bridge in late august.

M: Light, quick, and elusive. Not extremely carbonated.

O: Im going to tell you, i drank half this can, and poured the rest out... that is something, because i was sitting in front of a 7/11 with friends. Im going to say this is the worst beer to ever touch my lips.

rodney45, Jun 29, 2011
1.2/5  rDev -35.1%

I CAN't avoid these beers - I'm on The CANQuest (TM)! CAN you dig it?!?

My pour began with two fizzy fingers' worth of bone-white head that fell like Gerald Ford trying to board a plane. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose had the grape bubble gum scent that I have come to associate with only the worst of this (pretty bad) style. I CANnot say that I was overjoyed by the prospect of this beer. Mouthfeel was medium and it tasted of everything that CAN be bad with an AAL - corn, fermented grain - like silage, a grapiness that should not be present. Ugh. Finish was more of the same, leaving me sad and disheartened that such a beer is being produced. F this!

woodychandler, Jul 21, 2010
1.27/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

7/11 special. Pours a clear, pale gold color with a full head. Head fell very slow to about nothing with no real lace to speak of.

Has a light lager smell filled with corn and some off aroma.

Taste is of cheap grains, some chemical or metallic taste and a bit of sweetness.

Thin and watery in the mouth.

Not a good beer. I don't understand it though because the can says Premium Brewed. Why would they lie to me? Why?

dstc, Sep 23, 2010
1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Oh my god, what is this stuff? I don't hate many beers, but this just made my list. I hate Bud and Bud light, but I can at least stomach them; not sure about this though.

Decent pale amber color, but it looks artificial. Sweet corny flavor; like a hint of Cap'n Crunch, but instead of milk it's swimming in Steel Reserve, and instead of a kind of guilty pleasure, it's just ick. Strong Bready aroma.

There is no love in this brew and there is no appreciation to be found even ironically.

Keblar, Jul 30, 2010
1.43/5  rDev -22.7%

Picked this up at 7-11.

Appearance - Pale yellow in color with a huge, rocky white head which dissapates very quickly. NO lacing present at all.

Smell - Very sweet maltiness. Slight hints of cat pee.

Taste - The 5.5% alcohol is noticeable. I taste corn, bread, malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel -VERY carbonated and thin body

Overall - Ok I have an appreciation for well done macro lagers but this one is not one. Honestly this is a drain pour for me. I wouldn't recommend this to no one. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Beerbuddha, Jun 15, 2010
1.45/5  rDev -21.6%

It was $1.39 at 7-11 for a 24 oz can. I was hoping it would be stronger than 5.5%, but it's not. Here we go.

It looks like a macro lager. There's nothing out of place here. Even holds a fair cap on top. Pale and clear, but sort of dull colored. Hangs a little lacing on the glass as well.

Boozy scent of apple and alcohol. Too cold to start noticing the corn, I assume.

Are my taste buds off? This is oddly fruity. No, it's the grape/apple flavors that turn up in dirt cheap beer. And ugh, the aftertaste is vile and far more present than it should be. Borders on gag-inducing. A favorite like Steel Reserve finishes so much cleaner than this while packing more alcohol. Something very artificial going on here. The grainy flavor I expected isn't really there, nor the corn flakes that something like Icehouse provides. Even the trace amounts of hops one can expect to find in macro lagers are not present. Cheap estery booze flavors seem to dominate.

If I choose to let this linger in my mouth long enough to examine the feel, I find that it's not particularly offensive, but the flavor is gross enough that the total experience is a negative.

Ugh, this is bad, and I am having a hard time imagining warming up to it. I'll stick with Steel Reserve. 5.5% abv is not even enough to result in an effective buzz without choking down a few of these. I think I need to bring out the F. Pay the extra few cents for an Icehouse, PBR, or Steel Reserve, depending on the amount of drunkenness you want to achieve. Pay for this only to tick off the review. It's truly dreadful.

ommegoose, Feb 16, 2011
1.48/5  rDev -20%

pours a cornbread yellow hue with a decent two-finger frothy white head that vanishes in a flash and takes its lacing with it.

aroma is somewhere between paint thinner and fermented apple juice, with some ranch doritos mixed in. nothing edible should smell like this.

sweet and sugary, almost like a hard cider, but without any of the pleasantries and enjoyable factors. apple, grain and alcohol. or grain alcohol, if you will. almost hot and potent for the abv. grainy, corny, vegetal finish.

mouth is sticky, slick, and fairly highly carbonated. nothing really good about it.

wow. this might be the cheapest form of alcohol, but no matter how much I wanted a beer, I wouldn't touch this one again. i guess this is what a 25cent glass of beer tastes like. and I feel like I overpayed.

djeucalyptus, Oct 02, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -18.9%

durwood64, Jan 10, 2012
1.55/5  rDev -16.2%

Served in a Coca-Cola flared pint glass.

Okay, so I was negatively bemused with the Light version. Here's hoping that things pick up now that it's Ice, Ice, baby. The pour is almost as depressing as the Light: The only salvation is a touch extra yellow in the color; still, it's insanely pale and the finger of white fizz on top dies away pretty quickly. The nose is actually there, but just barely: hints (and only hints) of light corn syrup, puffed rice, and light wheat. As weak as the edifice already is, it's condemned when the taste buds get a chance to experience it. The elements of the smell are there, sorta, but drowning. Worse, there's a strange sweetness there too, so random and blunt that Parker Brothers (well, Hasbro now) is considering adding it as a potential murder weapon in Clue (or Cluedo, for all those Limeys out there). And, trust me, it is indeed a weapon on par with a wrench, a pipe, even a piano leg. Boo this. The body is excessively light, with a sad excuse for a carbonation and, like it's Light cousin, a very watery feel. Wow. Why did I just do this to myself?

TMoney2591, Jul 19, 2010
1.55/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured can into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale gold color that is crystal clear. It did have a nice head, and that was about it's only redeeming quality.

Smell: Does not have an appealing smell. Has a little bit of a grassy smell that is quite a turn off.

Taste: Very watery taste. There's not much flavor at all and the little bit of taste there is....is simply not good.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and watery. Not good.

Drinkability: This is not even very good for beer pong. We found ourselves celebrating when it ran out and we reverted back to Bud Light.

civilizedpsycho, Oct 12, 2010
1.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Big brother to the newly contracted 7-Eleven beer, Game Day Light. To sum this beer up...now there's a third wheel in the crappy American "Ice" beer category to compete with Natty Ice and Beast Ice. And accordingly it tastes just as bad. Game on!!

VaTechHopHead, Apr 28, 2010
1.88/5  rDev +1.6%

From 24 fl. oz can #076O-1226. Sampled on June 5, 2011. The pour is a nright yellow with a quick rising fizzy, white head that disappears quickly. While it looks alright for the style it has more of the adjunct malt liquor character with an odd grape-apple fruity scent and thin malts. The body is thin to medium. The taste is also emboldened with grape-apple sourness and a kind of stale maltiness with a thin backdrop of hops. These kind of beers that are brewed especially for retail chains like 7/11 show both the good and the bad of why craft beer has taken off. Good, in that these retail chains want a piece of the action and attempt to do so by expanding their inventory; but bad because the result is frequently so negative.

puboflyons, Jun 05, 2011
1.9/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

EACH CAN COSTS 50 CENTS!

I just poured some into a glass for the review but it's better straight from the can. This is not glass beer. Maybe a coffee cup with a lid for when you're pulling an all nighter at the train station after a long night of panhandling. Then it is damn good beer.

A - like urine with urine bubbles instead of foam

S- not much there but I've said the same for A rated beers. I get some sweet corny malt and alcohol soaked in ashtray pennies that I got panhandling.

T- corn syrup malt and some type of strange liquor. aftertaste is not so bad

M- I can savor these all day

D- Until I puke