La Crosse Lager - City Brewing Company, LLC

La Crosse LagerLa Crosse Lager

City Brewing Company, LLC visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

Brand possibly owned by Melanie Brewing Co.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-21-2003)

2.75/5  rDev -7.4%

2.25/5  rDev -24.2%

2.83/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pale yellow color? Check. Crystal clear? Check. Pretty thin in the body? Got it. The white head is just tall enough and strong enough, and lacing plentiful enough, for this altogether typical AAL to hit average.
Dust, must, grains and a note of oxidation that isn't even trying to hide comprise an unpleasant aroma.
Pale malts are a little more substantial along with the grain and husk, and this one heads to the dry side of the style, particularly as a little hop leaf come into play. There's a bit of mineral, perhaps a touch too steely, before a grassy finish. Hops are enough to give it an average rating, and it helps that the off notes the nose can catch aren't as strong to the tongue.
Light and thin with a strong crispness and not too much graininess to the texture, it doesn't err too badly until the bitterness loses character and turns astringent.

4.5/5  rDev +51.5%

2.75/5  rDev -7.4%

1.25/5  rDev -57.9%

4.19/5  rDev +41.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

La Crosse Lager is a beer that underachieves, but not in the traditional sense. At $14 to $16 for a 30 pack of cans, it could be assumed that many potential beer drinkers are swayed from this brand due to its low cost and the risk that if it's a bad brew, one is stuck with 29 cans taking up space. The fact of the matter is that La Crosse Lager is truly an excellent beer.

In a recent double-blind taste test we conducted, La Crosse Lager scored higher than the vast majority of its "big brew" adjunct american lager counterparts (i.e. Budweiser, Coors, Pabst, Old Style, Leinenkugel's) and a number of "micro brews" from our region (i.e. Fitgers, Bent Paddle).

Reputedly, La Crosse Lager is brewed from the original recipe for Old Style. As most of us are aware, however, the Old Style product was greatly cheapened by Stroh's and Pabst after Heileman's got out of the business. Whereas today's Old Style has a noticeably stale, almost chemical taste, La Crosse Lager is spared from those unpleasantries. It's clean, crisp, and has well-rounded flavor.

La Crosse Lager is "krausened", the process that Old Style made a fixture of much of their marketing before turning to a cheaper brewing process. Krausening and the overall creation of La Crosse Lager is an expensive, old-fashioned process that is misleading, once again, by the beer's exceedingly low price point. Undoubtedly as City Brewery has 3 large breweries and derives most of their profits from contract brewing, they have the financial flexibility to bring this beer to market at a great price.

I would go so far to say that if this beer came with a Sam Adam's or Montana Brewing Company label that it would be the darling of "beer elitists" and command 3-4 times its current market price. But until that unlikely time comes, I will enjoy this taste of the Northwoods at a price that makes me feel that I'm getting an absolute steal!

2.86/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: Brilliantly clear, straw yellow color beer with lots of bright white bubbles shooting to the top of the standard pint glass. small finger tall head that quickly fizzed away when poured from the can.

S: Very faint bread with a hint of lemon, clean overall.

T: Low in flavor, just a hint of bitterness but not enough from keeping the beer from becoming sweet. A sweet corn like flavor overall with a light bready character. Very clean, crisp fermentation.

M: Light body with moderate carbonation. crisp finish is left on the pallet making it pretty refreshing.

O: Nothing special here, but it is a refreshing beer and I'd take this over a BMC any day just because it has a tolerable nose and some noticable flavor.. but not much.

3.13/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Another beer from the creator of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some malts and grains. Taste is crisp, mild malts, light, a bit of metallic after taste going on. Feels light in the mouth and overall nothing offensive here, just your standard, run of the mill adjunct lager.

3.75/5  rDev +26.3%

1.33/5  rDev -55.2%

If memory serves me correctly, I bought a couple of La Crosse CANs at Riley's Wines of the World in Madison, WI during my annual trip to the Great Taste of the Midwest and search for CANned beers in support of The CANQuest (TM). If I am incorrect, local in-person trader, tone77, brought them by for me, but he has not reviewed them, so I am dubious.

From the CAN: "Fully Kraeusened"; "Double Brewed with Pure Artesian Water."; "Clean, Smooth Finish".

The Crack was nice and loud and I was ready for an inverted Glug, despite it being a tall boy, which CAN be tricky to maneuver. If you are trying it for yourself, the trick is to know when to begin to back off. Rarely CAN I get the entire beer into the glass initially, but I CAN get a lot of head from this style of pour. Here, I got just better than a finger of rocky, foamy, bone-white head with reasonable retention. Color was a pale sunshine-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of silage and I would like to know who's zoomin' who, here. APL, my Aunt Fanny's fanny! This is nothing more than another AAL. My first draught from the glass was all that I needed to reinforce my initial thoughts. Hell, it was damned close in taste to and one of its Wisconsin brethren's beers from the dreaded Minhas! I swear that I could taste PolyVinyl Chloride (PVC) in suspension in this beer. I began to hear the tromp of heavy footsteps in the alley as the Cybermen were coming for me. I began to weep because I have eluded them so often that it it is hard to count and now I was being taken unawares! It tasted like stale corn chips blended with old tobacco in the mouth. Finish was metallic, maize-y, and I swear that when I inhaled, I could smell cigar or cigarette smoke. OMG! This hearkens back to the early days of The CANQuest (TM), when the bulk of CANned beers that were available were AALs, but that has changed for the better of late. It was like nostalgia drinking, but without the nostalgia. Brrr. Oof.

1.25/5  rDev -57.9%