1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

La Crosse Lager - City Brewing Company, LLC

La Crosse LagerLa Crosse Lager

City Brewing Company, LLC visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

Brand possibly owned by Melanie Brewing Co.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-21-2003)
3.4/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A clear, yellow/straw-gold body is topped by a decent-sized head of bright-white froth. The retention is fair, and although it eventually drops to just a collar, it does leave some minimal spotty lace. The nose is clean and fresh with a bit more malt than your standard "generic" beer aroma, although no hops are detectable. Hops do appear in the flavor, however, even if they only play a walk-on role. It's malty, and not over-done with adjunct; and very finely balanced with a slight hop flavor and a noticeable touch of bitterness. The median carbonation is quite fine, and appears softer than it actually is, leaving it gently crisp in the mouth. It finishes short and mostly-dry with just a minimal maltiness in the mouth. Not bad at all!

2.5/5  rDev -15.8%

1.33/5  rDev -55.2%

If memory serves me correctly, I bought a couple of La Crosse CANs at Riley's Wines of the World in Madison, WI during my annual trip to the Great Taste of the Midwest and search for CANned beers in support of The CANQuest (TM). If I am incorrect, local in-person trader, tone77, brought them by for me, but he has not reviewed them, so I am dubious.

From the CAN: "Fully Kraeusened"; "Double Brewed with Pure Artesian Water."; "Clean, Smooth Finish".

The Crack was nice and loud and I was ready for an inverted Glug, despite it being a tall boy, which CAN be tricky to maneuver. If you are trying it for yourself, the trick is to know when to begin to back off. Rarely CAN I get the entire beer into the glass initially, but I CAN get a lot of head from this style of pour. Here, I got just better than a finger of rocky, foamy, bone-white head with reasonable retention. Color was a pale sunshine-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of silage and I would like to know who's zoomin' who, here. APL, my Aunt Fanny's fanny! This is nothing more than another AAL. My first draught from the glass was all that I needed to reinforce my initial thoughts. Hell, it was damned close in taste to and one of its Wisconsin brethren's beers from the dreaded Minhas! I swear that I could taste PolyVinyl Chloride (PVC) in suspension in this beer. I began to hear the tromp of heavy footsteps in the alley as the Cybermen were coming for me. I began to weep because I have eluded them so often that it it is hard to count and now I was being taken unawares! It tasted like stale corn chips blended with old tobacco in the mouth. Finish was metallic, maize-y, and I swear that when I inhaled, I could smell cigar or cigarette smoke. OMG! This hearkens back to the early days of The CANQuest (TM), when the bulk of CANned beers that were available were AALs, but that has changed for the better of late. It was like nostalgia drinking, but without the nostalgia. Brrr. Oof.

3.4/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a light doughy malt and a smattering of flowery hop.

The taste was rather well balanced and consisted of some soft bready malts and light balancing hops. Pleasant residual sweetness.

The mouthfeel was toward the fuller side for the style with a touch of creaminess.

Overall a tasty lager. I enjoyed the simplicity of this beer.

3.43/5  rDev +15.5%

Crystal clear pale golden. A fizzy white head forms and dissipates with the same speed. Moderate carbonation is noted. Aroma is better than average. Some soft maltiness, corny sweetness and flowery hops are all found. For a macro, not too bad at all. Soft malts on the palate as well with some adjunct-like sweetness blending in. A little hay and straw. And a slight bitterness lingering after the swallow. Light bodied and moderately carbonated. Average brew. Drinkable, but average.

3.13/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Another beer from the creator of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some malts and grains. Taste is crisp, mild malts, light, a bit of metallic after taste going on. Feels light in the mouth and overall nothing offensive here, just your standard, run of the mill adjunct lager.

3.25/5  rDev +9.4%

2.63/5  rDev -11.4%

Courtesy of Vinny’s at the La Crosse airport. Clear straw color with a fizzy white head that disappears quickly. Nil lacing. Aroma of mild hops and wet paper bag. Light-bodied and crisp with a decent hoppy character, along with a hint of malt. The finish is bitter but not flavorful. All in all this is an average Lager.

2.95/5  rDev -0.7%

(Ratings are in relation to its class)

Crystal Clear straw color with a 1/4 inch fluffy head on top that shrinks to a sliver in minutes...nose is adjuncty...cooked corn...sweet....the taste is a little sharper than you'd expect from the nose...pretty crisp...highly carbonated....flavor reminds me of more of an early 70's lager...adjuncts are there...not a bad lawnmower beer...I'm glad I finally found this as it is not distributed in my neck of the woods...definitely worth trying but I don't think it's much different than the rest of the macro lot..

This is supposed ot be pretty close to the original Old Style beer and it is brewed at the same place....I couldn't tell you how close to the original it is but it's OK...I'd drink High Life eveyr time over this though..

2.83/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pale yellow color? Check. Crystal clear? Check. Pretty thin in the body? Got it. The white head is just tall enough and strong enough, and lacing plentiful enough, for this altogether typical AAL to hit average.
Dust, must, grains and a note of oxidation that isn't even trying to hide comprise an unpleasant aroma.
Pale malts are a little more substantial along with the grain and husk, and this one heads to the dry side of the style, particularly as a little hop leaf come into play. There's a bit of mineral, perhaps a touch too steely, before a grassy finish. Hops are enough to give it an average rating, and it helps that the off notes the nose can catch aren't as strong to the tongue.
Light and thin with a strong crispness and not too much graininess to the texture, it doesn't err too badly until the bitterness loses character and turns astringent.

3.1/5  rDev +4.4%

This recipe I've heard is based on an older version the Heileman's Old Style from the 70s. Not bad. Yellow gold color, slight head, no lace, beery aroma of some hops and malt. Flavor is basic world wide light lager. There is a bit of body to it. Carbonation is decent for this kind of beer. Get a good burp out of it. ok finish.

2.95/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz bottle acquire as part of the Mystery Beer Swap v2 from DocLock (thanks!).

Poured a lighter and see through straw color with an averaged sized white head. Aromas of grain, some straw/grass, and a touch of honey. Tastes of grain and lightly honey sweet. Thin and watery body.

Notes from: 2/7/07

3.9/5  rDev +31.3%

The Old Style beer of yesteryear.
Nothing sets this apart in the appearance or aroma. Typical macro straw yellow color with a short-lived white head. Some spotty lacing is left on the glass. Has a sweet malt aroma. Has a pleasant sweet macro flavor with a touch of apple. A little more hops in the flavor and bitterness than your typical Bud or Coors. Light body and fizzy but finishes nice and clean. This is superior to much more expensive macro beers at a budget price.

Update: After a couple of years, this has become my cheap beer standby. Cannot beat the price/taste point. I have upped the score.

Update 2: This beer deserves a spot in the top 50 in Pale Lagers. It is better than most that is listed at half the price.

3.88/5  rDev +30.6%

Poured a medium amber color with sparse white head. No retention, no lacing.

Smell is very light. Only a slight sweetness detected.

Taste is unexpectedly full bodied. There is a very strong malt presence that gives this beer great flavor and a refreshing character.

Great taste retention with a long lingering malty sweetness.

Very nice to drink, Refreshing. A very enjoyable tasty beer.

2.75/5  rDev -7.4%

Ahh, the fully krausened Lacrosse Lager. Let's give 'er a go...

Appearance - pours the basic golden straw color, a thin white cover. Decent bead action in the glass.

Aroma - a mixture of grain and sour apple. That's a first for an all-malt. Starts to wear on me after a bit.

Taste - hmm. Grainy like I expect, and per the sniff, quite apple-ly too. It's kind of like a shot of apple cider in the beer. Unusual profile, I think I'd go for it more if I knew what to expect. A little strange outta the gate though. I'm undecided on this one.

Mouthfeel - thin and crisp per the style, no surprises here.

Drinkability - light, a bit sweet per the apple flavor, a little tasty and a little weird at the same time.

3.33/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hey at $.35/can I had to give it a try.
A sour almost skunky smell I notice in lots of beers of this ilk. Not particularly appealing to me, but I guess it's the way it's suppose to be. Touch of malt too.
Looks as it's suppose to. Brilliantly bright and clear. Paper white head that's big and full, but settles fairly quickly. Yellow gold.
Nice malt sweetness dominates and stays throughout. Rather appealling really.Very slight sourness and very mild dryness, neither unappealling. Adjunct qualities are really low. Dryness increases as warms and becomes less enjoyable.
Mildly filling from carbonation, yet adequate smoothness for style.
Maybe this got me on a good day. Really not too bad. I'll give 'er a try again and see how it goes.

Attractive cans just say what everyone thinks Wisconsin must be like. Clear gold, slightly darker than straw with a good head, but one that's a little foamy. Little duration of suds or lace. Aroma is malty, slightly eggy. Mouthfeel is pleasant enough, slightly overcarbonated. The taste is spot on neutral, somewhat biscuity malt with better hop finish than some, even with some slight pine-iness. A toss-'em-back beer, one that deserves patronage when you want to support a local brew to drink at a tail gate.

3.98/5  rDev +34%

12oz brown longneck. No freshness date.

This beer pours a very light yellow (kind of the European Pilsner color). Minimal head and lace. Smell is decent. You pick-up some hops & grain.

This beer surprised me. Given the moderate price and the initial appearance when poured, I really didn't expect very much. I was pleasantly surprised with taste. Well balanced with hops slightly in the forefront. There is some grain that adds sweetness, but it was a good sweet. Excellent carbonation. Very small and active bubbles. Very good with spicy food.

I really picked this up on a whim when I was picking up some of this brewery's very fine pale ale. However, the taste made sure that I will buy more in the future. Truly an unexpected find!

3.75/5  rDev +26.3%

3.03/5  rDev +2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Paler-than-straw in color, with a small white bubbly head. Smells of corn and malt. Taste is very smooth, this is definitely an Fish House beer from 'Scony. Looks out of place in my Samuel Smith tulip, but it is not bad for the price ($7 for a 15 pack).

1.25/5  rDev -57.9%

3.03/5  rDev +2%

A - Light golden color with a fairly full, foamy, bubbly, light, whispy, white head. Average retention leaving a very thin lace.

S - Very grainy and sweet. Also lots of apple in the back. Almost like a light/off cider. Some hints of bready malt. Overall it is pretty light though.

T - Similar to the nose. Pretty light with grainy, bready, and sweet malt being strongest. Very little grassy hop flavor. Again, plenty of apple notes given it a ciderish taste.

M - Light body with above average carbonation. Light, crisp, and a lingering sweetness.

D - About as drinkable as a macro light lager. Apple flavors make it slightly distinct, but I'm not sure how exactly I feel about it.

Notes: Interesting beer. Lots of apple that isn't too far off from some malt liquors. Grainy and bready sweetness. Ok but nothing to search for. Ok for a cheap beer but nothing impressive, even for the price.

3.75/5  rDev +26.3%

3.08/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours crystal clear pale gold from a cheesy loooking bottle into the pint glass. This champagne like beer has a 1/2 finger head and streams of bubbles rising to the top. Some decent lacing is left on the glass.

I just got back from a long run out in the heat, and I'll be damned if this doesn't look thrist quenching.

It smells pleasanty fruity. I smell apples and apricots in addition to a weird but nice rubbery smell. I tried the light version of this about a week ago, and the smells are almost identical (this one is just a little bit more pungent than LaCrosse light).

The taste is fruity and grainy with a macro-ish funky taste. Not bad. It's better than just about any other cheapo beer that I've had (read: all of them....I was a poor college student once). Mouthfeel is nice and creamy
for such a lightly colored beer.

As predicted, this is extremely thirst-quenching. Sure beats gatorade!

La Crosse Lager from City Brewing Company, LLC