Faxe Premium - Royal Unibrew A/S

Royal Unibrew A/S visit their website
Denmark

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Formerly called Faxe Premium Danish Lager

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-29-2001)
NJBeer265

08-21-2014 14:12:28 | More by NJBeer265
ThinkAgain

1.5/5  rDev -47.2%

01-06-2012 16:41:58 | More by ThinkAgain
yelterdow

1.5/5  rDev -47.2%

Best by 12/10/06... from a 1 liter can, served at fridge temperature.

Appearance- Pours a clear golden color, like Bud... great head, condensing to a soapy crown.

Smell- Hmmm.... what the hell is this aroma I'm getting? Old wood paneled walls... moldy carpet... stale basement... frigging MOTHBALLS... if I never smell a beer like this again, it will be too soon. Stomach-wrenching awful.

Taste- This is cloying beyond words... adjuncts galore... like a really bad malt liquor. Horrifically sweet, I can barely get it down.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Surprisingly good texture, but to no avail... this beer can not be saved from the depths of my kitchen sink's drain. The most offensive beer I have yet to review.

06-14-2006 04:17:57 | More by yelterdow
bonbright7

1.55/5  rDev -45.4%

I was looking for something different in the cooler at the deli when I spied this and took it home. It poured well to a big head with tons of little bubbles, like champagne, and I eagerly was anticipating a big tasting lager.

The that was the good news.

The beer was thin, watery, with a touch of bitter hops. I let it warm up to see if anything transpired: nothing.

Needless to say, I up ended the huge can into the sink and looked for something else in the fridge.

09-30-2006 11:42:40 | More by bonbright7
EPseja

1.7/5  rDev -40.1%

Served this one from a big, manly 1L can in a pilsener glass at just above fridge temperature. Freshness date of 12-10-2006.

A - Pours just like a Budweiser in color (pale straw yellow), but with a huge, monster fluffy head. Soapy and frothy looking with medium bubbles. Creamy on top. The dude on the can looks like my friend Mark with a set of horns on his head. Sweet! Good looking EPL.

S - Odd sweetness - flowery or fruity and candy-like. Metallic notes are evident. Moist, wood-paneling... Old antique shop... Grandma's dishsoap... Nag Champa incense? What the heck? Strange at best. But I like strange and interesting, thus the reason it's not a 1.

T - Mothballs. Holy crap. Sweet, adjunct-laden liquid mothballs. Naphthalene. Craptacular. Can't taste much else. I'm stunned.

M - Mouthfeel is decent - moderately carbonated and mouthfilling. Quick, fresh swallow.

D - Looks good. Feels good. But I can't get past the taste. The remainder of this beer wound up in a pile of gravel as soon as I got through the rating. I give it 1/2 point extra for luring me into tasting it.

08-11-2006 01:25:22 | More by EPseja

1.75/5  rDev -38.4%

11-21-2013 12:15:32 | More by pipinmalikonj
AltBock

1.78/5  rDev -37.3%

My Faxe came in a massive 1 Liter can. Yes, you read that right, a 1 Liter can! I've never seen a beer before that ccomes in a 1 Liter can before. I've seen those pony kegs before, but not a regular pop tab 1 Liter can before. It's more of an oddity than anything. It looks like a white oil can with a beer label on it. This beer label is gold, forest green, and red colored with the name of the beer in big gold letters and above the name of the beer is a head shot of a long haired smiling Viking. To me, a Viking would always have a serious face on, but I guess this one is the rare sensitive Vikings. I don't think many Vikings are or were like him. Under one of the beer labels is the US Government warning and in between the labels is the address of the brewery, ingredients, barcode, US distributor, and who the distributor in Poland is. Refund value can be found on top of the can. No date anywhere, but there is somekind of brewery or distributor number on the bottom of the can that has no use to the consumer.

Appearance: When poured into a Pilsner glass, the beer's color was somewhere between a sunshine yellow and a nice healthy urine yellow. Not really the best mixture of yellow in the world for the color of a beer. I guess it could have been worse. It could have just been the color of unhealthy urine. The initial head of white foam was about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in height, but that quickly dissipated into a few specks of white spots and lace around the glass.

Smell: It smells like an unwashed 9th century Danish Viking after he just raped and pillaged a small European town. It really didn't like that, but I'm going the easy way and say that it smells like your average run of the mill macro. That means that the aroma only contains malted corn and rice with just a hint of apple juice in the background. None of those are really that good. I think I would have opted for my first example instead. That would have given this beer some kind of character.

Taste: I wish I could write that despite it's lack of color and smell, this beer had tons of flavor to it. That's not going to happen anytime soon. It tastes like it smells, except that they watered down the corn and rice, got rid of the apple juice (that's good!), and added a tiny and I mean tiny taste of bitter hops at the end. Usually corn and rice aren't the best flavors to taste in your beer, but it's worse when they decide to water them down for some reason. I'm still confused about that.

Mouthfeel: This is where the beer could redeem itself by saying "I'm not all that bad, let me show you some flavor." It didn't show me crap! The only thing it showed me was that it's weak, way too light, and had an aftertaste of corn and rice. No more corn and rice, I've had me share of that in the taste.

Drinkability: If I was a Viking, I would consider it a slap in the face if one my kind was on this beer label. To me, a Viking is suppose to be a fierce fighting machine, but this beer is the complete opposite, weak and light. Basically, I found this beer is just another cheap macro to get Biltzed on. There's nothing interesting about this beer, except that it came in a 1 Liter can. That's it! There's no way I would touch this stuff again.

09-29-2007 20:24:26 | More by AltBock
kojevergas

1.85/5  rDev -34.9%

"Faxe Premium." "Quality Lager Beer." 1 litre aluminum can acquired at a Lidl market in Berlin, Germany. 5% ABV confirmed per the label. Served into a pilsner glass in me friend's gaff in Berlin. Expectations are low given the price and the serving size; in my experience good beers are not packaged in one liter cans. But I'm hopeful...

Served cold. Side-poured with below average vigor as overcarbonation is anticipated.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 1.5 fingers wide. Off-white colour. Overly fizzy. Terribly thin and weak. It's kind of a pathetic watery head, to be honest, and recedes fully within 1 minute, leaving no lacing. Bad overall, to be sure.

BODY: Dull weak pale copper. I wouldn't call it clean, but there's no visible yeast particulate or hop sediment. Not at all vibrant or fresh looking.

Overall, it's a pretty bad looking lager with no redeeming characteristics. I'm hesitant to try this. Still, I've seen far worse and it could look more watery.

AROMA: Metallic off-notes abound. I guess there're hints of overly sweet grains and some dirty stale barley, but that's about all I'm getting. No overt hop character, yeast, or alcohol here. Really bland and muted, yet what little is present is quite off-putting.

This is seeming more and more terrible.

TEXTURE: Overcarbonated. Rough and scratchy on the palate. Unclean and metallic. Medium-bodied, with far too much weight and heft on the palate for a pale lager. Too thick for the lack of depth of flavour. Unrefreshing. Both the smoothness/coarseness and wetness/dryness are horribly horribly off. This is a terrible overall texture for a beer regardless of style. Poor presence on the palate. This mouthfeel complements the taste only in terms of matching its low quality.

TASTE: Yeah, that metallic twang is rough, and reminds me of Messrs Maguire's beers in Dublin. It lingers throughout the entirety of the flavour profile as an unwelcome guiding tone. The core of the beer is generic cheap barley and feels stale. The generic pilsner malts that fill it out don't help much. And the grains aren't too present, but do lend an adjunct-esque artificial sweetness that I find off-putting. This is not the fresh, crisp, evocative build of a great pale lager.

Don't look for hop character or yeast character here. It's not boozy, but the metallic tone is definitely an off-note.

Horribly shallow in terms of depth of flavour. Fortunately, flavour duration is below average. Flavour intensity is average.

It's cohesive only in its bad taste, and lacks a gestalt build or a good balance. It's a simple, boring, bland beer and yet more blandness would actually be an improvement on the poor flavours featured here. Lacks intricacy, subtlety, complexity, and nuance.

OVERALL: It's really just a poor overall brew, but I can see its market niche; street alcoholics and students will enjoy this cheap treat. In fairness, it would also make a marvelous cooking beer, and intend to simmer my bratwursts in what remains of the litre can shortly. It does hide its ABV decently and I have had worse. It's not undrinkable, but obviously I won't be drinking the entirety of the litre can. At least it isn't watery. It will likely meet your expectations when paying less than a dollar for the litre at the local market, which I guess is a good thing.

D-

06-02-2014 19:40:51 | More by kojevergas
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

1.88/5  rDev -33.8%

33.8 oz can
A - this pours very pale straw yellow, with a near nonexistent white lacy head

S - this smells like a european strong, near malt liquor, which i dont particularly care for, take this with a grain of salt if you will, but i will review within the style farily

T - this has nearly zero taste, thought it was water at first, then the malts hit in, they are lonely and stretched thin, and not of high quality, this hits the sink

M&D - smooth going down, i could see how some hard working Copenhagians could enjoy this on a hot day after a job, but not my cup of tea

best part is the Viking on the can

08-24-2006 01:41:05 | More by sinstaineddemon
MTNboy

Germany

1.98/5  rDev -30.3%

I tried this lager after trying the Fest Bock and was disappointed. If this is your first Faxe brew don’t judge them all off this one but hey you might like this one.

Appearance- I do think this is a great looking beer. It has some carbonation that really brings the clear gold body to light. About finger and half of head with some thick lace.

Smell- Smells of corn it is a very grassy and earthy aroma.

Taste- Adjunct flavors of rice,corn and maybe some sugar (it is overly sweet for a lager) hit your tongue right of the bat. Not much real malt taste and just sort of bitter. I thought the aftertaste was unpleasant as well.

Mouthfeel- Full for a beer of this style and smooth.

Drinkability- I don’t really recommend this beer other than to give it a try.

01-05-2008 13:39:34 | More by MTNboy

08-11-2014 20:28:22 | More by MayonakaStout
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.13/5  rDev -25%

Can: Poured a bright golden color lager with a medium lightly foamy white head with better then average retention. Aroma of light floral malt is quite evident. Taste is refreshing with a nice dose of malt but sadly lacking hops resulting in a thin watery finish. Overall, this is just a slightly above average premium lager.

07-21-2005 13:37:39 | More by Phyl21ca
ernie

Russian Federation

2.2/5  rDev -22.5%

Pale beer with faint aroma. Produces fluffy unstable head. Taste is thin, sweetish with obviously no character. Malts are present, hops are absent. Finish is bitter-sour. Cheap beer designed for mass consummation at all kind of fests and other big gatherings. Other Ceres products are much more interesting.

06-10-2006 18:17:43 | More by ernie
magpieken

Australia

2.25/5  rDev -20.8%

07-15-2013 04:05:00 | More by magpieken
Graham5161986

British Columbia (Canada)

2.25/5  rDev -20.8%

A: clear, darkish yellow with bubbly head that dissipates quickly, leaving very little lace; plenty of carbonation bubbles

S: weak grassy nose and a little metallic

T: grassy taste, but the flavour drops off quickly leaving a sour, metallic aftertaste

M: thin, watery with a flat finish

D: A below standard macro lager - easy to put down, but not particularly enjoyable. I won’t be buying this one again.

11-02-2007 23:07:14 | More by Graham5161986
beerthulhu

Packaged in 1 liter can.

A: Poured a golden-maize with a brilliant clarity, enough so as to clearly read text through. Being poured from a over-sized can led to a sloppy pour that invoked a monstrous 3 finger plus snow white head which displayed a fair amount of retention and was foamy in character. Small speckled lashes compose the lacing. Inside lied a mixture of quickly releasing macro-bubbles along with a snaking stream of micro-bubbles that danced and swirled around. With all said and done per style (euro pale lager) this was fairly decent.

S: The nose, or rather lack of, barely produced any mentionable traits. Dried corn with a light helping of buttered vegetables (string beans) were vaguely, if not unimpressive here. Even for a lager this came off unimpressive with very little to go on.

T: The flavor was sweet, with buttered dried corn with a bit of greenery being first detected. Dry grains move in midway through the experience along with hints of straw. There is a brief sweetness occurring on the finish with honeybread notes along with some fresh greenery. Overall the initial impression wasn't bad, though it wasn't good either and failed to improve.

M: The mouthful was light bodied, and rather boring with an almost juice like quality.

D: Overall this was a ho-hum experience that continued to get more tiresome and boring with every sip. A single serving would be a struggle and waste of time let along trying to consume the whole liter. I originally bought this as a joke with regards to the oversized can, I guess the joke ended up on me. Not worth the aluminum its packaged in. A big pass.

04-19-2010 22:00:21 | More by beerthulhu
uno99

2.3/5  rDev -19%

Every once in a while a free can of Faxe gets forced onto my person from some chesty marketing girls outside my local soccer stadium. I usual give them away but I decided to give it another try

A: Not much to say here. looks like crappy euro lager. pale straw colored with NO head at all.

S: Even fairly cold from my fridge, its a bit offensive. Not the worst ever lager but kind of sweet and metallic.

T: Something is wrong with the malt here. tastesbadman.jpg Bitter in all the wrong way, horrible finish. metallic and awful.

M: Over-carbonated and grainy. decently dry though, but I get the impression that aspect is unintended.

Overall: Why bother with this? If this is your only choice for a beer, i really pity you.

09-20-2012 19:52:36 | More by uno99
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

2.3/5  rDev -19%

Canned sample. Gold in colour with strong carbonation. Light malt aromas with a very mild of a floral note. Some grainy sweetness in the mouth, with some chemical astringency. A bit more full bodied than others of this style. Poor "dirty water" kind of finish. Overall, it smells better than it tastes. Not recommended

06-26-2006 21:10:00 | More by fisherman34
Evil_Pidde

Sweden

2.33/5  rDev -18%

This is the first time I bought a 1000 ml can of beer...
I picked it up in Germany.

A: Pale golden with some small bubbles. The white head is surprisingly thick, but sinks quickly into decent lacings.

S: Mild grainy sweet malt with a corny twist. Some very faint bitter hops. A bit bready.

T: Weak taste; grain, corn and sweet malt. Some rough bitter hops, not in any balance with the rest of the brew.

M: Body as well as carbonation is medium. Aftertaste is short and bitter in a unpleasant way.

O: Yet another boring Danish macro beer with a corny overdose.

07-29-2011 20:26:34 | More by Evil_Pidde
thierrynantes

France

2.38/5  rDev -16.2%

Beer bottle (33cl.), tasted in 2000.

Appearance : yellow color, with white foamy head (not persistent).
Smell : no significative aroma (malt ?).
Taste and mouthfeel : Light and thin, softly malty, no bitterness. It has no taste.
Drinkability : a not impressed beer in the style Pale Lager.

11-28-2008 20:38:22 | More by thierrynantes
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

2.4/5  rDev -15.5%

500ml can poured into pint glass july7 2010

A clear golden with plenty of tiny bubbles popping up from everywhere floating up to a thumbs width of head that quickly falls to a 1/4in film leaving only a patch of lace

S sour corn and a chemical smell that I can't quite place

T slightly better then the smell with a little sweet malt but still not very impressive

M feels like a basic lager with a thin feel and enough carbonation to fluff it up a bit in your mouth

D not overly enjoyable when all's said and done, and as it warms it just goes downhill

I doubt I'll be drinking this again, nothing special and odds are where ever you are you'll have better options

07-08-2010 02:18:20 | More by wordemupg