Faxe Extra Strong - Royal Unibrew A/S

to view more.
Ratings: 82 | Reviews: 44
Reviews by CrazyMike:
2.08/5  rDev -8.4%

Wow! This kicked me in the face as soon as soon it went into my mouth. Everything about this beer is super strong. The taste is extreamly sweet, malty and alcohalic. Almost overpowering at first.

The aftertaste is is strong but disapears after a while, similar to taking a shot of hard liqour.

A can or two of this can get you a really good buzz, which is probably the only reason to drink it. If your looking to get super drunk super fast then I would recommend this, otherwise, why not get some fine scotch?

1.49/5  rDev -34.4%

I keep passing by the huge Faxe section at the LCBO and figured I should probably see what the deal was. After drinking Extra Strong, I might abandon the whole project...

What poured out the can actually looked very good. I'm not sure if I lucked out or if something happened in shipping (the freshness date is April 2011, so we're good there). Medium golden hue, lots of frothy head that holds its weight, good lacing.

And the praise ends there.

I have a bit of a cold, so perhaps my nose isn't at full capacity, but all I could smell is alcohol and sugar. Not pleasant; it's like fortified beer...My friends couldn't detect anything else.

Sugary alcohol with a bit of fruit and malts. Compare this to a good Belgian Strong Ale for an idea of what NOT to do. Like they added a shot of vodka to each can...

Oily, well carbonated, but with a sickening alcohol finish.

No thanks. Might not be bad to get me a bit drunk with this cold, but I'd rather drink something else. A big PASS for this one.

Drain pour.

2.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Picked up this one on a whim while visiting a liquor store in downtown Toronto.

(Note to self: Learn to resist whims)

One would expect something boasting a 10% ABV to have the appearance other than that of Budweiser. Sadly, such is not the case from this brew from Denmark. It poured a clear, fizzy yellow in color with a crackling short-lived white head. Aromas are sweet...not a malty sweet but a candy factory sweetness. Flavor is nasty. A grainy-corny front that is quickly shoved aside by a sickly sweetness that gets worse as it warmed up. Finishes with a most unpleasant alcohol burn, much like wood feels when paint remover is applied to it. Syrupy mouthfeel and virtually no drinkability. On the plus side, I've now tried a beer from Denmark.

1.92/5  rDev -15.4%

1L, solid-ass black can - something I wouldn't mind brandishing in a street fight, on the way back from where I might have purchased this one. However, in a more pertinent vein, the 'glucose syrup' in the ingredients list does very little for my initial perceptions of this lumbering beast.

This beer pours a crystal clear, pale golden yellow colour, with two chubby fingers of puffy, foamy, and certainly bubbly off-white head, which leaves a solid, thick, and raised bubbly wall of lace around the glass as it sinks away.

It smells of sweet, evil pastry grain, fruity (stale red grapes, mostly) women's makeup case odors, a touch of bewildered yeast, and mild sugary alcohol. The taste is, well the taste is where any goodwill I might have once possessed finally goes to die - overly sweet plain grain, heavy metallic booze, unholy drupe fruit, and skanky, um, well, stank. Urp.

The carbonation is on the low end, rendering a slick, medium-weight sideshow of cloying sugar atrocity - so, smooth, yeah, if that's your sort of thing. It finishes with a musty grain sweetness, awash in overly forward booze tendencies, and heavy suggestions of nail polish nightmares.

What a fucking mess - why there isn't a European category of cheap (is there any other kind) malt liquors, I'll never know. Overall, this is sickly, pandering, and barely less than gag-inducing. A whole bloody litre of this dreck is way more than wishful thinking, my Danish friends - I respectfully request my kroner back.

2.88/5  rDev +26.9%

Quick fading slightly off white head settles quickly over clear gold with light amber highlights. Sweet sharp/perfumy nose, I get a light whiff of fruit too...very slight adjuncty note. Taste is lightly fruity at first then you get a sharp metallic hop attack that tastes kinda 'off', semi full bodied, lingering sharpness and as it warms you get some adjunct flavor and then cheap alcohol. Ends sharp and none too appealing. Drink it cold or pass lol

2.43/5  rDev +7%

Pours a thick amber with a white head that fades quickly. Smells strongly of alcohol, grain, and hops. The taste is rather overwhelmed by the alcohol, and is quite bitter. The beer is sticky in the mouth, and difficult to drink, which is probably good, because I had a decent buzz after finishing the pint. More than two or three of these and I'd be pretty loaded, which is pretty much the point I think, and the reason that my college town liquor store has so much in stock.

2.76/5  rDev +21.6%

ok so this is my first beer review, im a canadian boy, just turned legal drinking age. for many a year i have loved beer.

so faxe extra strong good for college parties not so good if u wanna remember them. its a very strong and bitter tasting beer, and for some reason its thick as all hell. i dont mind it its a good way to start the night or finish it off, but no more then one, cuz this beer will get u done.

lets face it this is a vikings drink, or wanna be vikings drink. from the appearance of the can you know your in for it. its scary. i still will drink faxe extra strong just because im cheap and for $3.15 at the beer store im in.

2.4/5  rDev +5.7%

saw this sitting on the counter at the store checkout. someone had left it there and figuring i never tried it i snatched it up.

looking at the scores i will probably regret this decision.

the can i have looks different than the one pictured. black can with red label.

poures pale yellow with large cascading head. looks like mass produced lager.

picking up hops and malt in the nose. smells pretty standard uninspired.

starts with bitterness than quickly turns into the taste of ethanol. all i taste in this beer is alcohol. it is awful. not going to finish this crap. blech

1.34/5  rDev -41%

Can: Poured a golden yellow color beer with a quite large frothy pure white head with average retention and no lacing. Aroma of alcoholic phenols with some grossly sweet adjunct. Taste is also dominated by grossly sweetened adjunct with some very apparent alcohol. Body has an oily texture with good carbonation. I wasn't' expected much but this is a lot worse then I had expected with loads of alcohol and adjunct easily detectable -drain pour.

2.78/5  rDev +22.5%

Tasted on May 12, 2009.

A: Copper color with some head that disappear quite fast.
S: Malt + Alcohol.
T: Alcohol + Malt. The alcohol is taste easily. The beer is round which is probably due to the alcohol. Absolutely no bitterness.
M: Medium-rounded bodied

Well, nothing extra in this beer... just a simple beer. Nothing more nothing less.

1.69/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

1L can. Brew Date: Apr. 7, 2011; Best By: July 5, 2012. 10% ABV, 18.2 degrees Plato.

Appearance: Yellow with a tinge of brown, very clear. Two fingers of very white soapy foam, which had fair retention, and left lots of lacing.

Smell: Sickeningly sweet, as soon as the can was popped open. After it was in the glass, overpowering corn adjunct-ly smell. Oh, this doesn't look like it will end well.

Taste: Unquestionably has a kick of alcohol to it, but the flavors are really off. Lots of corn, metallic can taste, ho-hum hops bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with a very dry finish. All that alcohol sucks the moisture right out of the mouth. Carbonation is okay, not high.

Overall: I don't think I want to finish this liter can of very bad beer. The metallic twang is quite strong, and the adjunct character is off-putting. My advice: This is one for lying down and avoiding.

1.78/5  rDev -21.6%

OK, I swear this used to be better...

Pours an attractive clear amber with a rapidly dissipating white head. Aroma of hops and whoa! Too much alcohol! Taste was very strong bitter nasty alcohol and a bit of hops. Mouthfeel was stingy and awkward. I used to love this stuff, but now I don't know, I think they changed it. This brew has degraded into a "choke it down and get drunk fast" beer... What a shame.

1.98/5  rDev -12.8%

WARNING: This lists fructose syrup & maize as ingredients before hops. Should have taken that as a sign...

Poured from 500ml. can, best before 030613.

Appearance: Orange-gold body that starts with a creamy 2 finger head but goes to a thin ring.

Smell: Some mild fruit but corn is all over this though it manages to be tolerable (barely).

Taste: Aggressive, strong alcohol taste that subsides after a bit burn still leaves a sting. Heavy on the adjuncts and the mild spiciness and fruit are shoved to the back.

Mouthfeel: Bitterness that might be due to flavor but more likely attributed to the ABV. Marginally better than flavor.

Overall: An assault on good taste. Could barely finish 1/4 of it before drain pouring it.

2.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Straight up I will tell you that I tried this beer as a joke. I fully expected to hate it before even trying it so my review may be a bit biased.

On pouring, I thought to myself, how can a beer that is so strong look like a generic lager. boring straw yellow, and quickly dissipating head. "Oh joy!" I sarcastically exclaimed.

But then, it hit me. What the hell am I doing? Has my life gotten to this point already?

Sureley it has I thought as I smelled it's fruity essence.

"Here I go" i thought as I braced myself for what I was sure would amount to suicide of my tastebuds.

And then it happened. I found my meaning in life.

SWEET NECTAR OF THE GODS! This seductive brew is unlike anything i have ever tasted! RAPTURE ON HIGH!!! It's syrupy sweetness clinging to my mouth as a JOLT of copper smacks me in the throat. "PRAISE BE!!! " I said as the volatile fumes took hold of my brain.

That is my last memory before waking up in a ditch covered in marmalade.

To be honest. I'm afraid to try this beer again.

2.43/5  rDev +7%

A pretty pour with a high ABV that you can definetly taste. This is a brew that opens your eyes and is not for the timid!!! Unfortunately is not for me either....Wrap a brown paper bag around this one.

1.66/5  rDev -26.9%

This is a highly carbonated brew. It almost looks like ginger ale, due to the amount of CO2 pumped into this beast. A finger thick amount of soapy white head came about, and dissipated rather quickly. The body is darker than I expected.

In the aroma I detected a dextrin like character. Add a hint of lemony hops in with it, and that's about it.

This tastes just about as boozy as a beer can get. There is a hefty tobacco like bite, and a nasty medicine like finish.

This feels like I took a watery macro lager and dumped cheap strong booze into it. Once the palate becomes accustomed to all of this nonsense (or the more buzzed one gets), it's easier to go down.

This beer was invented for one reason and one only: To knock you on your butt. There is actually zero drinking enjoyment to behold here. It's kind of shocking they allow this stuff to be sold in Germany and make it so readily available, vice a nice Belgian Tripel.

Ingredients listed: Water, malt, glucose syrup, corn, and finally hops.

2.19/5  rDev -3.5%

Faxe is the choice beer of many heavy drinkers in my area, so if you are scrounging for a cheap buzz, you know this beer will always treat you right.

Now as a beer to drink with friends while playing poker, or to share with someone over dinner.... Not a good idea. Everyone could lose their lunch.

The smell is offensive, and with the taste it only gets worse. This taste is like a sharp, metallic goo, reminiscent of corn syrup and vodka.

I have a hard stomach for alcoholic beverages, but I feel close to vomiting every time I have drank this. I really do not like to bash a beer, but they honestly did not do a good job with this one.

Colt 45 is much better than Faxe 10%

10% only for fun
sipped it down
made me frown
taste was rad
if your into macrobrew fad
smell was the most
in your nose as glucose
tell your friends, wassup!
come and drink this corn syrup!
cuz u will get liquored up!
and pass out in a rut!
cuz in denmark we dont like beerz that are tart
as a matter of fact we hate traditional wert
we skip the ones with any hop heart
lets just slam the ones that make us shart!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

We pop the top on this monster can and pour a brew nearing neon yellow. It holds a two finger head of white bubbles, leaving spotty lacing around the glass as it goes. Carbonation appears to be quite active. There is nearly full transparency, with no sediment observed. The aroma is of sweet grain, big metallic bites, faint banana esters, and adjuncty grain throughout. There is an immediate whiff of standard hops, but this disappears quickly as the beer settles down. There is also a bright peppery booze and bitter clovey phenols. As we sip bitter and sour grain hits hard up front. There is a cooling from banana esters, which show up surprisingly strong in the taste. Metallics seep in, riding with an enormous fusel booze character that makes this beer begin with a punch. The middle pulls through with the esters and sweetness of partially toasted, overly bitter adjuncts. The finish is with a saltiness, burning ethanol, and a floral hop character that serves to only make things more bitter. The aftertaste breathes hotly with fusel alcohols reminiscent of a shot of cheap vodka, steely grain, and diffuse sweetness. The carbonation is high and the body is solidly medium. There is an intermediate thickness to this beer, imparting an undeniable smack and slurp to each sip. Otherwise, the big alcohols function to dry the mouth significantly. The abv is robust and the beer drinks quickly, as long as it’s cold.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this beer was the wide range of aromas and flavorings. For such a strong beer it provided a wide range of grainy flavors to work with. Among these there was a surprising ester character to soften up the beginning, while a more biting hop presence took up the final legs. This is a perfect beer if you’re wandering around the streets of Rome looking for a party, but nothing you would want to sit back with and relax.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Poured from the 500mL can into a mug.

A: Orangey gold with a fizzy head that sticks around for a bit and then settles to patches. Carbonation all over.

S: Surprisingly faint. Strong aroma of alcohol and malts. Some sweetness in there. Corn.

T: Big alcohol kick with a bit of malt in the middle to somewhat hold it together. This thing is pretty sick. Not much else to say. Malt liquor quality and a slight sweetness mask the alcohol until swallowed, leaving only a gag. Don't really have any good words for this...

For getting drunk this thing will do the trick in a pinch, just like a malt liquor in the states. And like a malt liquor, it does what it sets out to do very well. Sitting here buzzed I can say that it worked. Outside of that, nothing special. Get a couple of regular beers to achieve the same effect without the taste...

3.04/5  rDev +33.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I have to be honest, I'm presently drinking a 500 ml can of Faxe 10% Extra Strong Beer, that I won in a bet over the Stanley Cup playoffs (go Blackhawks!). I am a Viking at heart, so the logo's kind of cool. I like the color as it resembles someone else's clear healthy urine specimen on the nurses station counter top. The aroma is reminiscent of the bed pads I wash in the long term care facility laundry room that I currently work in, so it is familiar and quite nutty, i might add. The taste is somewhat marmaladish, leaving me with a comforting tingly sensation on my palate, satisfying my desire for the bold, pungent flavor I was expecting in a beer of this strength. It is perfectly carbonated, boasting 43 tiny bubbles (no, 44...there's 45, 46, ..47, 48) that ascend into a beautiful 2 finger head with an eyelet lace. As i sip again, I am noticing something else... ..I think it is a hint of cabbage (or perhaps rhubarb) that seems to settle into a delightfully smooth aftertaste that lingers on. I actually really like this beer and don't mind the intensity as it becomes closer to room temperature. The ABV is high but the price is low ($3.35) so it is perfect for anyone who wants a good beer buzz early in the morning before going to their McJob. Don't get me wrong, I would definitely drink Faxe 10 again, especially knowing that I only need one can to forget about the bad day I may have had washing the linens in a nursing home. Ok, so here's the bottom of the can. ...last drop..alrighty then, there you have it. Faxe 10 is ok, if you ask me. Now i'm ready to tuck in.

1.98/5  rDev -12.8%

Very dissapointed, average beer with very bitter taste. Just skip it. Smell 2/5, Taste 1.5/5, Feel 2/5

1.89/5  rDev -16.7%

This ones been hanging around since my B-Day when it came in a random gift pack from the LCBO... Figured I might as well take it down. Beer is beer, even if I'm a little hesitant to try it...

A - Crystal clear golden colour, finger of head with surprising retention and some sporadic lacing.

S - ABV is detectable on the nose, alongside sweet corn, apple juice, wheat grass and cereal.

T - Not overly surprising, sweet alcohol, sweet corn, sour aftertaste, some faint leafy hops, and an odd burning sensation that lingers.

M - This one bring heat to another level, with no attempt to smooth the burn.

O - This brings me back to my high school days of drinking Old English before the dance. Anything to get a buzz on with no care for taste. I'm surprised there's a customer base for this brew, because it's terrible.

2.41/5  rDev +6.2%

Presentation: 500ml can, 10% ABV

Appearance: Nice golden color. Interesting first look and head.

Smell: It smells strong alcohol and it is dissappears quickly.

Taste: Too shy. Maybe some hops on the end, but it lacks taste. The alcohol and the sparking takes all.

Mouthfeel: In a blind taste, it could be compared to rhum and coke as much this lager is sparking in your mouth.

Drinkability: Quite strange for a beer. Ok, that's a strong lager, but it's like an alcohoolic soda. It could be ok to get loaded fast, but for quality drinking, I would choose something else. In the strong beers category, it seems that Unibroue products are much better...

3.2/5  rDev +41%

Appearance- Golden straw yellow with bubbles very present. Pours with a thin creamy head.

Smell- An apple juice aroma with sweet undertones and slight citrus aromas.

Taste- Quite refreshing for the ABV. Slight hoppiness present at the end and is a little watery at the end. Apple juice aromas and slight citrus notes are detectable in the taste.

Mouthfeel- Light to medium bodied with decent carbonation with slight prickly bubbles. Goes down smooth considering the ABV of this one.

Overall- A decent attempt at a strong lager from Faxe. Although this is high in ABV it was quite drinkable. Could be better balanced but decent job overall. Not too crazy about this one but it was good to try. Worth another try in the future for something different.

to view more.