Faxe Extra Strong - Royal Unibrew A/S

awful

Royal Unibrew A/S visit their website
Denmark

Euro Strong Lager |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-04-2002)
Reviews by stoutman:
4.1/5  rDev +82.2%

Another flavorful, but powerful Extra Strong Lager from Denmark. Tasty and refreshing, with no objectionable after tastes or smells.

stoutman, Jan 04, 2002
1.75/5  rDev -22.2%

cam477, Sep 26, 2013
1.43/5  rDev -36.4%

I keep passing by the huge Faxe section at the LCBO and figured I should probably see what the deal was. After drinking Extra Strong, I might abandon the whole project...

What poured out the can actually looked very good. I'm not sure if I lucked out or if something happened in shipping (the freshness date is April 2011, so we're good there). Medium golden hue, lots of frothy head that holds its weight, good lacing.

And the praise ends there.

I have a bit of a cold, so perhaps my nose isn't at full capacity, but all I could smell is alcohol and sugar. Not pleasant; it's like fortified beer...My friends couldn't detect anything else.

Sugary alcohol with a bit of fruit and malts. Compare this to a good Belgian Strong Ale for an idea of what NOT to do. Like they added a shot of vodka to each can...

Oily, well carbonated, but with a sickening alcohol finish.

No thanks. Might not be bad to get me a bit drunk with this cold, but I'd rather drink something else. A big PASS for this one.

Drain pour.

JohnnyBarman, Apr 26, 2010
2.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Picked up this one on a whim while visiting a liquor store in downtown Toronto.

(Note to self: Learn to resist whims)

One would expect something boasting a 10% ABV to have the appearance other than that of Budweiser. Sadly, such is not the case from this brew from Denmark. It poured a clear, fizzy yellow in color with a crackling short-lived white head. Aromas are sweet...not a malty sweet but a candy factory sweetness. Flavor is nasty. A grainy-corny front that is quickly shoved aside by a sickly sweetness that gets worse as it warmed up. Finishes with a most unpleasant alcohol burn, much like wood feels when paint remover is applied to it. Syrupy mouthfeel and virtually no drinkability. On the plus side, I've now tried a beer from Denmark.

OldFrothingSlosh, Jul 26, 2004

ant1, Jun 03, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -33.3%

scottford, Feb 06, 2014
1.88/5  rDev -16.4%

1L solid-ass black can. Something I wouldn't mind having in a street fight, on the way back from where I might have purchased this beast. However, in a more pertinent vein, the 'glucose syrup' in the ingredients list does very little for my initial perceptions of this lumbering beast.

This beer pours a crystal clear pale golden colour, with two fingers of puffy, foamy off-white head, which leaves a solid, thick, raised bubbly wall of lace around the glass as it sinks away. It smells of sweet, evil pastry grain, fruity women's makeup case odors, and mild sugary alcohol. The taste is, well the taste is where my goodwill finally goes to die - sweet grain, heavy metallic booze, and skanky, um, well skank. Urp. The carbonation is on the low side, rendering a slick, medium weight horror show of cloying sugar atrocities. It finishes with a musty grain sweetness, awash in overly forward booze tendencies, and nail polish nightmares.

What a fucking mess - why there isn't a European category of cheap (is there any other kind) malt liquors, I don't know. Sickly, pandering, and barely less than gag-inducing. A liter is way more than wishful thinking, my Danish friends...

biboergosum, Nov 17, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -44.4%

traumaqueen, Apr 05, 2012
2.86/5  rDev +27.1%

Quick fading slightly off white head settles quickly over clear gold with light amber highlights. Sweet sharp/perfumy nose, I get a light whiff of fruit too...very slight adjuncty note. Taste is lightly fruity at first then you get a sharp metallic hop attack that tastes kinda 'off', semi full bodied, lingering sharpness and as it warms you get some adjunct flavor and then cheap alcohol. Ends sharp and none too appealing. Drink it cold or pass lol

beerluvr, Aug 20, 2013
2.42/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a thick amber with a white head that fades quickly. Smells strongly of alcohol, grain, and hops. The taste is rather overwhelmed by the alcohol, and is quite bitter. The beer is sticky in the mouth, and difficult to drink, which is probably good, because I had a decent buzz after finishing the pint. More than two or three of these and I'd be pretty loaded, which is pretty much the point I think, and the reason that my college town liquor store has so much in stock.

Mandrake, Dec 01, 2005
1.25/5  rDev -44.4%

robotiks, Jul 19, 2014
2.8/5  rDev +24.4%

ok so this is my first beer review, im a canadian boy, just turned legal drinking age. for many a year i have loved beer.

so faxe extra strong good for college parties not so good if u wanna remember them. its a very strong and bitter tasting beer, and for some reason its thick as all hell. i dont mind it its a good way to start the night or finish it off, but no more then one, cuz this beer will get u done.

lets face it this is a vikings drink, or wanna be vikings drink. from the appearance of the can you know your in for it. its scary. i still will drink faxe extra strong just because im cheap and for $3.15 at the beer store im in.

SaintG, Jun 28, 2009
2.35/5  rDev +4.4%

saw this sitting on the counter at the store checkout. someone had left it there and figuring i never tried it i snatched it up.

looking at the scores i will probably regret this decision.

the can i have looks different than the one pictured. black can with red label.

poures pale yellow with large cascading head. looks like mass produced lager.

picking up hops and malt in the nose. smells pretty standard uninspired.

starts with bitterness than quickly turns into the taste of ethanol. all i taste in this beer is alcohol. it is awful. not going to finish this crap. blech

paxkey, Sep 12, 2011
1.3/5  rDev -42.2%

Can: Poured a golden yellow color beer with a quite large frothy pure white head with average retention and no lacing. Aroma of alcoholic phenols with some grossly sweet adjunct. Taste is also dominated by grossly sweetened adjunct with some very apparent alcohol. Body has an oily texture with good carbonation. I wasn't' expected much but this is a lot worse then I had expected with loads of alcohol and adjunct easily detectable -drain pour.

Phyl21ca, Sep 28, 2009
2.8/5  rDev +24.4%

Tasted on May 12, 2009.

A: Copper color with some head that disappear quite fast.
S: Malt + Alcohol.
T: Alcohol + Malt. The alcohol is taste easily. The beer is round which is probably due to the alcohol. Absolutely no bitterness.
M: Medium-rounded bodied

Well, nothing extra in this beer... just a simple beer. Nothing more nothing less.

ZorPrime, Jun 02, 2009
1.68/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

1L can. Brew Date: Apr. 7, 2011; Best By: July 5, 2012. 10% ABV, 18.2 degrees Plato.

Appearance: Yellow with a tinge of brown, very clear. Two fingers of very white soapy foam, which had fair retention, and left lots of lacing.

Smell: Sickeningly sweet, as soon as the can was popped open. After it was in the glass, overpowering corn adjunct-ly smell. Oh, this doesn't look like it will end well.

Taste: Unquestionably has a kick of alcohol to it, but the flavors are really off. Lots of corn, metallic can taste, ho-hum hops bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with a very dry finish. All that alcohol sucks the moisture right out of the mouth. Carbonation is okay, not high.

Overall: I don't think I want to finish this liter can of very bad beer. The metallic twang is quite strong, and the adjunct character is off-putting. My advice: This is one for lying down and avoiding.

dbaker61, Sep 03, 2011

irishkyle21, Jan 17, 2012
1.73/5  rDev -23.1%

OK, I swear this used to be better...

Pours an attractive clear amber with a rapidly dissipating white head. Aroma of hops and whoa! Too much alcohol! Taste was very strong bitter nasty alcohol and a bit of hops. Mouthfeel was stingy and awkward. I used to love this stuff, but now I don't know, I think they changed it. This brew has degraded into a "choke it down and get drunk fast" beer... What a shame.

tatterdash, Dec 22, 2004
2.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Dhuckaby, Sep 08, 2012
1.93/5  rDev -14.2%

WARNING: This lists fructose syrup & maize as ingredients before hops. Should have taken that as a sign...

Poured from 500ml. can, best before 030613.

Appearance: Orange-gold body that starts with a creamy 2 finger head but goes to a thin ring.

Smell: Some mild fruit but corn is all over this though it manages to be tolerable (barely).

Taste: Aggressive, strong alcohol taste that subsides after a bit burn still leaves a sting. Heavy on the adjuncts and the mild spiciness and fruit are shoved to the back.

Mouthfeel: Bitterness that might be due to flavor but more likely attributed to the ABV. Marginally better than flavor.

Overall: An assault on good taste. Could barely finish 1/4 of it before drain pouring it.

papat444, Jul 05, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +55.6%

patre_tim, Jun 25, 2014

Caudalie, May 01, 2013

RedAleMan, Aug 12, 2012

DreamDeath, May 18, 2014
2.65/5  rDev +17.8%

Straight up I will tell you that I tried this beer as a joke. I fully expected to hate it before even trying it so my review may be a bit biased.

On pouring, I thought to myself, how can a beer that is so strong look like a generic lager. boring straw yellow, and quickly dissipating head. "Oh joy!" I sarcastically exclaimed.

But then, it hit me. What the hell am I doing? Has my life gotten to this point already?

Sureley it has I thought as I smelled it's fruity essence.

"Here I go" i thought as I braced myself for what I was sure would amount to suicide of my tastebuds.

And then it happened. I found my meaning in life.

SWEET NECTAR OF THE GODS! This seductive brew is unlike anything i have ever tasted! RAPTURE ON HIGH!!! It's syrupy sweetness clinging to my mouth as a JOLT of copper smacks me in the throat. "PRAISE BE!!! " I said as the volatile fumes took hold of my brain.

That is my last memory before waking up in a ditch covered in marmalade.

To be honest. I'm afraid to try this beer again.

Beers, Jul 12, 2006