Bitter Woman From Hell Extra IPA - Tyranena Brewing Company

Bitter Woman From Hell Extra IPABitter Woman From Hell Extra IPA

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American IPA |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 08-28-2003)
4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a warm light antique bronze body that is clear with a strong carbonation of tiny bubbles. There is an antique white head that is thick and last and last.

S- This beer has a big bitter green pungent hop flavor that has a hint of cat pee (in a good way) and notes of cat nip in the background. It smells very fresh and has some nice depth even though I can't really describe the flavors.

T- The pungent hop flavor really kicks you in the teeth with a faint pale malt flavor buried in the background. There is a soft bitter green hop flavor in the finish but after the finish the hop bitterness increases like some spicy hot peppers.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with no alcohol heat or astringency in the finish.

D- This beer has great big hops that have nice original flavors and good complexity. I have tasted many AIPAs and this has some very nice originality and big flavors.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Amber orange beer with less carbonation and less lacing than the original Bitter Woman.

Grapefruit and lemon hides lightly in the background of a relatively mild aromatic base. Little bit of pine aroma occasionally makes an appearance. The aroma seems to have improved over the less demonic version of the Bitter Woman.

Sharp bitterness burns a little, but it's not as ridiculous as the name leads me to presume. A little sweetness tries to compete but ultimately gets an ass whippin' by the hops.

Mouthfeel is ok but some lingering sweetness sticks to the hops in the back of my throat. Surprisingly not an especially clean finish given how much hops takes over the rest of the show. This mouthfeel distracts me a little more than usual.

I doubt too many average beer drinkers will enjoy the bitterness that dominates. I typically enjoy bitter beers, but this one is just a little too much and the cloying finish just doesn't work for me. Still I appreciate the effort and would buy it again. It undoubtedly will find a following of drinkers who love overdoses of grapefruit-reminiscing hops.

12 ounce bottle given to me by brewcrew76 (Thanks brewcrew!).

Appearance: Copper beer with amber highlights. The off-white head faded somewhat slowly and there was some good retention on the glass.

Aroma: There are nice hoppy aromas drifting from the glass as soon as the bottle is opened. The initial aromas are sweet from the malt and caramel, but hops are definitely present as well. The hop smells seem to blend with the sweetness in a citrus-like way.

Taste: The first flavors are sweet, but they blend to citrusy hop bitterness. The bitterness isn't as harsh or as powerful as expected after reading the label, but it seem to match the aromas. The beer seems fairly balanced and the mouthfeel is solid and pleasant. The finish is slightly bitter and it lingers for a few moments.

Notes: I think this beer being classified as an American IPA on the database here is correct. Overall, this one wasn't as hoppy as expected, but it is a solidly made beer that has nice balance and it seems to be fairly easy drinking. I think this makes for a good beer, but I think the label makes some promises that aren't necessarily what the beer can fulfill. Either way, this was a nice, drinkable, tasty beer.

Pretty nice amber color with a white head leaving excellent lacing. Nice smell of pine, citrus, biscuit and caramel. Nice smell, just doesn't shoot out of glass like I had hoped. Starts out with caramel but quickly pine and citrus take over. Pretty nice, but could be better. Low carbonation and medium bodied. Pretty good and would have it again, I just wouldn't go way out of my way for it.

Rusty tangerine loaded with either yeast or hop leaf flecks. I'm betting that it's the former, but I'm hoping that it's the latter. The head is pale orange creamsicle in color and isn't as tight-bubbled or as sticky as I'd like. That makes me think that there aren't a ton of hop resins present. Naw, that couldn't be it. There's an acceptable amount of lace, though not the usual crusty blanket that most ridiculously-hopped beer lays down.

The aroma is good, not great. It certainly isn't as explosive as expected. An 'extra' IPA, whatever that is, should have a nose that jumps out of the glass and stuffs two hop cones up your nose whenever you get it within reach. BWFH doesn't do that. It's hard to go wrong with Amarillo and Simcoe, but I can't help feel that this was an opportunity lost. High expectations are a bitch sometimes.

Yeah, it's hoppy. Yeah, it's bitter. It certainly isn't scathingly or abusively bitter though. As I continue to drink, I might have to rethink that. I'm beginning to feel a little abused... and I like it. Before I go any further, let me point out the obvious. If you don't consider yourself to be a hophead, don't bother drinking this beer because you'll hate it. For that matter, if you don't like Amarillo hops... same thing.

While there isn't a ton of malt in the house, what's here is too caramel-like for me. The result is that any blindingly bright, explosively citric hoppy top notes that might have been present have been dimmed to too great an extent. My fervent hopes that the bitter woman from the underworld would be a better, hoppier version of the pre-damnation bitter woman haven't been realized. Could a change in hops have made that much difference?

The standard IPA uses Amarillo and Cascade while this 'extra' version uses Amarillo and Simcoe. Great hops all, but I have to believe that something didn't go entirely according to plan. If it all went off without a hitch, then it's time for a change of plans. Again, I'm being picky as hell because I'm a huge fan of Bitter Woman and consider it to be one of the top-5 Midwestern IPAs. I like BWFH, I just don't flat-out love it.

The usual flavors are present and accounted for. Brown sugar and caramel covered white grapefruit sections (with the pith intact) seep over the tastebuds and dig in with something less than total commitment. The usual tropical fruitiness of the Amarillo isn't as obvious as it could be. In terms of palate wreckage, my tongue isn't totaled as I reach the final few ounces, but it isn't drivable either.

When compared to others of the style, the body is mid-range, perhaps a wee bit to the lighter side. It isn't 'extra' full as might be expected, but it's resiny and sticky enough to get the job done. I'm not sure that a heavier body would work well at all. In the end, the mouthfeel is in keeping with the rest of the beer's attributes and, therefore, deserves a similar score.

I made my recent trip up to Madison for the express purpose of assuring myself that I'd be able to acquire as much Bitter Woman From Hell as I wanted. Something kept me from buying more than a single 4-pack though. After drinking this bottle, I can't say that I'm sorry. I like the *idea* of this beer, it's just that the execution, at least relative to my expectations, leaves a little something to be desired.

3.85/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A rich dark golden/copper elixr very dense when held up to the light. What looks like minute yeast particles float through-out the beer as well as tiny carbonation bubbles. A half inch off white head sits atop, leaving behind thick sticky lacing.

One word comes to mind when describing the smell...excellent. Big and piney hop hop hoppy with a malt aroma to balance it. Also grapefruit and other citrusy aromas abound. Smells great.

Well after all the excitement of the appearance and smell the taste is somewhat of a letdown. Not nearly as complex as the aroma. Somewhat thin watery mouthfeel, piney hops, without the citrus or grapefruit that's in the nose. The malt does balance well but not as hoppy as I'd like or the nose would indicate. Not bad by any means but like I said missing that bite that is in the nose and appearance.

Not sure of the alcohol on this one but either way it is an IPA worth drinking. How much I'm not sure.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to dirtylou for this one...
Pours a honey amber with a half a finger of white head...almost all disappears within seconds. No lacing to be had with this one.
Sweet tea up front with a floral bouquet of hops in the nose.
The taste is fantastic...not a bombardment of any particular flavor, just a huge bitter hoppiness that is accompanied by a decent proportion of malt. Not one dimensional at all and a nice tangent on one of my favorite IPA's out there. Slight detection of the alcohol as it becomes warmer.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and average for the stlye...slightly high on the carbonation, but finishes very clean.
Hope to score more of this one soon...another solid offering from the folks at Tyranena.

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

12oz brown bottle, 16May06 inkjetted on the bottle neck.

Cloudy burnished orange. Short, dense head of fine off-white bubbles that slowly settles leaving a couple patches of lace. A lone carbonation stream lazes to the surface. The yeast sediment remains evenly dispersed. The aroma is of pine tar and citrus rind, with perhaps a bit of sawdust, but overall relatively tame. The pine bitterness leads the way, filling the mouth with a grabby bite. Some citrus rind picks up and makes itself known before dropping back behind the pine which dominates through the finish. The finish is short and concise with little lingering resin. Relatively one dimensional. Medium body, but with a thin mouthfeel, the carbonation is fine-bubbled and active. This is one dimensional and on the thin side. Not overly satisfying.

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

Deep copper color....the aroma is about 50% bong resin and 50% piney notes...

Body is medium to full....carbonation about right..

Taste is big on the pine elements...also a mild caramel backbone...hops are way in front though...finishes with a nice lingering bitterness..I'm curious what the IBU's and hops used were but their website gives very little info on their Brewers Gone Wild Series except for the sexual laden innuendos...nothing wrong with that in my book but how about some real info too??

I'm slightly let down by this because I reallly enjoy Bitter Woman...In fact Bitter Woman is one of the best IPA's made in my opinion...this is more middle of the road for a DIPA...nothing terribly wrong with it and it is hopped up nicely...still it is a long way from the elite DIPA's..It's listed as an IPA on this site and maybe that is what it is...as an IPA it is bigger than regular BW but not as good overall..

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

12oz bottle, bought a 4pack at Riley's for 7.99 (later saw it for 6.99 at woodmans fyi)

appearance: poured into a chalice to get the full effect...pours a vibrant and full amber, very light beige head and only slight lacing left behind around the rim...a rather nice looking ipa

smell: very pungent hop aroma, juicy grapefruit-citrus, light apricot, pine resin, sweet caramel...not really as overpowering as expected but very well hopped

taste: flavours surely indicate a hop monster...very pungent and juicy, sugar covered ruby red grapefruit, citrus hops, a touch of fresh apricot...very strong hop bitterness, but not too much for my tongue...pungent pine presence, sweet caramel backbone...Another solid installment in the "Brewers Gone Wild" series...can't wait for the barleywine later this summer

mouthfeel: tongue numbing hop bite, stong bitterness

drinkability: enjoyable but the bitterness factor puts the limit at about 2 of these suckers

4.53/5  rDev +15.3%

Clear, deep copper. Thin off white head. Moderate amounts of lacing are noted. This is the kind of IPA aroma I just love. Juicy grapefruit pulp mixed with smokey, resinous canabis and lesser of the pine attributes. And there's some nice caramel based maltiness underneath as well. Bitterness is kind of sharp, but not catty and not all that long lasting. To me anyway. There is a noticeable amount of malt backing. This is NOT a totally one sided hop bomb. I love the hop attributes of bong resin and pink grapefruit and lemon rind pungency, but the malts are there as well...caramelly and a bit toffeeish in nature. This is more balanced than you'd think coming in. And very drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a bottle into a Tulip glass. Many thanks to an unmentioned BA (by his request).

The beer pours a deep ruby-amber color with an OK head that doesn't last for a whole long time. There is also a moderate amount of lacing. Not bad looking at all. The smell is really addicting. I can't keep my nose out of the glass. Huge floral hop notes and a slight amount of sweetness blend perfectly. Great, great stuff. Taste is equally nice. A nice juicy hoppiness hits up front, but the malt backbone in this woman is strong. This is a much more balanced beer than the original Bitter Woman. Mouthfeel is smooth and a tad oily with very little dryness after swallowed. Drinkablity is great. I wish I could buy this locally.

Very nice beer. I'm glad I have another on hand.

4.58/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours out bright gold and sits orange-amber in the glass with a small off-white head, fading to a light skim with some lacings around the glass.

Smells of bright, ripe citrusy hops. Big hunks of red grapefruit, oranges and kumkwat. Zesty pine needles and sugary caramel are sunken underneath. Malts can be found, but at this point, who cares?

An extrodinary amount of sharp, stinging hops oils flow out from the first swallow (I dove in deep at first, I learned my lesson m'am). Totally citric focused and spruced up with pine (no pun intended). Finishes with oils galore, mouth tacked in resin.

Smooooth, creamy ultra mega deluxe happy go fun time now. Medium-full in body, light carbonation.

I could drink this all day. Not as hoppy as I expected, but it's got them where it counts. If Tyranena would make this a standard, or at least seasonal offering, I wouldn't mind.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours orange to amber in color and clear, off white head dissipates to a ring. Very nice and complex nose on this one with some grassiness, some citrus and grapefruit, and some sweet peach and mango aromas. Taste is sweet peach and citrus flavors with a slightly dry, peppery bitterness that hits the back of the throat. Bitterness is assertive, but definitely not overpowering, well balanced. Light to medium body and a little creamy. This is a top notch ipa that I would drink all day long.

4.58/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance -- Lucid orange color. There are several columns of very small bubbles rising to the surface of the beer. One finger of velvety, white head.

Smell -- Rich, wet, citrusy hops. Just excellent for fans of the hop.

Taste -- Very hoppy. More citrusy than piney. Sweet malt backbone, but not too overwhelming. The malt really helps to showcase the hops. Tastes like fresh Bitter Woman but better.

Mouthfeel -- Medium . . . not too thin and not too heavy. Just right. One could easily throw back several bottles and not feel full.

Drinkability -- Very high. I absolutely love BWFH and am very happy I was able to purchase a case of it! I hope Tyranena brews this beer more frequently. This one is a winner!

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance: Crystal clear medium colroed boy, head puffs wuick, fades fast and fairly steady. Lace left is coarse and sticky.

Smell: Strong sweet carmel maltiness and alcohol vapors are the first thing you get. The hops are cotton candy-like, but also fruity and potent. The rumored dry hopping pays off quite nicely here.

Taste: There first thing that sticks out is malt. Different for the style, carmel malts are huge and rich, the sweetness wears down right before a blast of hops. Harsh and savagely bitter to a very smooth and fruity aftertaste. I enjoyed this beer, even more than the Bitter Woman from Lake Mills.

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

What a surprising beer. I expected to have my nostrils roasted like Jerry Stiller at the Friars Club. Instead I’m enjoying pleasant caramel and vanilla aromas. How on Earth is this 97 IBUs? I’m not implying that this somehow fails the style. It doesn’t. There’s plenty of pine and grapefruit to go around and I’m already burping juniper berries. Still, the balance is quite something.

I got an email from the brewer a while ago stating that this has 50% more dry hops than the regular BW and 29 more IBUs. He said it’s completely unbalanced. Well sorry Rob but you are completely wrong (in a good way). This beer is quite balanced. The malts are absolutely apparent in the flavor and nose. I almost think that hopheads will be under impressed by this. The finish is bitter as hell, especially as the beer warms to room temp but caramel is ever present. The effect of this balance for me is simply extreme drinkability. This IPA is nearly a double and I can just drink the hell out of it. It’s an excellent piece of work.

Now to appearances…BWFH pours a relatively attractive caramel-gold body with an expansive off white head. The crown is really spectacular for the style: thick, creamy, and lasting. Carbonation streaming is moderate but steady. As the head settles to a quarter inch, a sticky lacing forms pretty patchworks on the glass. As fine a looker as IPAs can be. If carbonation streams were more agressive, I would give it a 5.

My overall thoughts…Thank god I bought everything Riley’s had. I’m going to want to drink a lot of this. In fact, I’m going to Woodman’s tomorrow to buy some more. I’m really pleased with this beer and really proud that it’s made by a brewer just down the road.

Note: After drinking more than a couple, my tongue is getting a thrashing and the malt has suddenly disappeared. Now I get the name… Damn this is one awesome bitch!

Edit: 9-19-06 - I'm dropping this beer's smell and taste from 4.5 to 4 and it's drinkability from 5 to 4 because I gave this beer a biased rating the first time around and because Hop Whore is comparatively much better, yet I can't give it more than a 4.05 overall.

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

Finally picked up a 4-pack at Riley's here in Madison. Bring it on, baby.

Pours a golden-amber with a short off-white head that melts quickly to a scruffy skim. Nose singes with piney-citrus hop fire, with surprising undertones of vanilla-caramel. Taste launches an all-out hop assault on the tongue, citric acid chimes in with vanilla-malt making a feeble attempt to bring relief. Mouthfeel is medium and light enough to entice the drinker into more than one bottle. A hop-head's dream, yet still quite drinkable - I would drink several until I could no longer tell what I was drinking. A bitter woman indeed.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

malt in aroma makes an appearance for a microsecond and then is quickly overwhelmed by a grain bag of amarillo and cascade hop. You home brewers know that addicting scent that you get from the bag just before you throw in your aroma hops,this is it. probaly the purest hop aroma I have smelled in a beer. Clear orange amber colored, An initial hint of malt and hop citrus is quickly smothered by delicious hop bitterness. The monster Magnum and Warrior hops are responsible for literally coating your tongue with a wrapping of bitter sensation. This is an IPA that will be sipped. So potent in the aftertaste,you might be able to handle only one a day.No balance here,its all about the hops,a hopheads dream. Problem is,I don't know if i ever will be satisfied with regular Bitter Woman once this is gone. Stunningly well done. All praise to Rob Larson for going to the hop limit,knowing it will offend half of even this community. Gutsy move to reject the first batch for not being bitter enough

4.6/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a growler shared between myself and the 2 Jeffs, Boo and tavern, through Mr. Boo's magnificent benificence. Normally, I need a full serving when I review, but we got 1 and 1/3 a pint apiece, so that's plenty.
Pours a bright red, close to pale bronze, with a full, fresh, blooming foam above.
Aroma: FRESH! This paricular bottling was done from the tap merely days before our sampling, and it shows, brother, it shows. Big and fat and flowing with citric, piney, hoppiness!
Mouthfeel is persistence personified, thick and clingy, rewarding, long-residing.
Taste is juicy, yummy...
I stopped scribbling notes, but I didn't stop admiring this beer. It seemed to be kicked up several notches from the regular version, not more hoppy, nor more bitter, but more flavorful, all around. Reminded me a bit of Sierra Nevada Celebration, but more than anything, reminded me of all my favorite IPAs all rolled into one. It delights the senses over and over again.
I still need me one of these growlers all to myself, to stew myself into a hop-infused stupor.

4.7/5  rDev +19.6%

An exclusive offering at the brewery only. The first time I had this was at the Great Taste of the Midwest in August and the brewery was still serving it on tap this fall, providing me with the opportunity to bring a few growlers back to the Twin Cities.

A shimmering copper colored brew with a heavy,creamy top that hangs around for a good time. And by good times, we're talking about smelling this big one. Fresh Pacific Northwest hop heaven here in a glass, very citrusy,lemon/grapefruit, resiny,smokey rich aroma. The solid medium body holds a nicely complex, oily hop nectar. Some light caramel and toasty malt flavor does escape from the fog but this one is an ode to Mr. Alpha Acid. Fresh lemon rind and spicy herbal hop flavors abound and with good depth. Bitter and dry is what your mouth is left feeling sip after sip. It may be self-abusive, but I love it. It's so drinkable that a growler could go down pretty easily, but I'm more interested in sharing...lucky for them...

4.7/5  rDev +19.6%

"jeffboo the magnificent" brings a clear growler into his basement filled with a clearish ambery brown liquid, bestowed upon myself and the Monk while engaging in bottling some homebrew, looks good thus far, a solid color for any IPA, but the pour is what sets this apart from others as the head grows and gains a substantial girth every so quickly building to a towering head of whiteness and fluffy foam. Once the top is there, it stays there, hardly moving for a long while before it finally fades down to a large, thick fluffy coating on top always present and leaves thick patchy and stringy lace.

Aroma is heavenly perfumed with a super nice floral pine, budding spring needles of spruce and cedar. Amarillo hops in a lovely sweet tone within, super fresh, crispened, and clean. A terrific load of hops, floral and lightly resin filled with a bit of dried smokeyness of burnt leaves. An enticing hop nose that you can lose yourself in, wonderful!

Taste is wildly smooth with a clean, crisp bitterness in the amarillo profile of hops with a very nice mellowing grab of floral pine and lovely high sweetness and citrusy resin. Malts in the background with lightly toasted caramel-like biscuity malts helping add profound layers to the hop levels and keeping a good balance. Complexingly simple in its feel, very smooth and quite full building ever so gradually in bittering sweetness leading to complexing dried variants of wood, smoke and leaves, bouncing around with floral and lightly herbal notes. Finish lingers both on the palate and the lips with a piney resin sweetness and sourness. It is the morning after and I still have the lingering tastes on my lips and throat. Whether thats a good thing or not...well its not in the fashion of regurgitation so I guess thats a good thing.
"A long, hot shower does little to erase her from your mind." I can see how the shower thing comes into play cuz it didn't help get rid of any afterthoughts/tastes.

Alot more nose then the regular Bitter Woman, but nearly the same in every aspect in its mellowing character. More of a hop complexity in flavor, length, and feel. Goes down just as smooth if not better, a fine-dandy IPA and I thank jeffboo greatly for the opportunity to drink it down. Yum!

4.97/5  rDev +26.5%

(Original, draught-only release...the BGW bottled version is different, and not quite as good.)

This is the leather-clad, whip-yielding roommate of the regular Bitter Woman. Not altogether different, but certainly more aggressive. If the Bitter Woman is one that you'd date on a frequent or daily basis. This is the lusty fling you try to hide.

She throws the door open. Tanned bronze. Heavily bleached blonde hair. With a slow rising exuberance expressed in sluggish bubbles.
She tosses you upon the floor and blows a pungent, resiny pot smoke Amarillo and Magnum cloud in your face.

It's time to begin.

She allows you to taste her now.
Her hop-augmented assets are bursting through the tight malt corset. Tattered toasted cloth does little to hide what's underneath. Strategically placed dry toffee and caramel biscuit are quickly torn aside. Same goes for the apricot g-string. It's all business now. This is what you paid for.
This is a dirty, bitter girl. Earthy in her hoppy come-ons. Sweet-talking piney with alluring smoky, resin filled eyes. She's hard-edged though. She's been burned, and she doesn't fool around. Her metallic razor blades chop lines of white powdered alum and roll herb into fat cigarettes. She is here to party. Her gin and tonic laced breath falls across your lips. The muscular, stream-lined body is yours for the moment. Curvy and full, yet slender, and probably more that you can handle, but you do all you can to satisfy. You are just lucky enough to be along for the ride. Your eyes roll back and you explode. This is too much...

It's morning now, and she is gone. You expected this, and it is for the best. Just a tingling body and a numbed mouth, and an empty growler trophy on the bed stand to show for the ordeal.
A long, hot shower does little to erase her from your mind.

Desire begins to seep in. You need more of this. And you need it now.

Bitter Woman From Hell Extra IPA from Tyranena Brewing Company