Rocky's Revenge Bourbon Brown - Tyranena Brewing Company

good

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Winter on 11-13-2004)
Reviews by mrseano:
mrseano

4.33/5  rDev +15.8%

A: Brown with retaining head and some lacing.

S: Great smell, could pick up on bourbon and coffee-like notes. Complex enough where you can pick up on multiple scents each smell.

T: Tasty beer. This balances the bourbon flavor with vanilla and a hint of mocha/coffee. Impressed so far!

M: Medium-to-full bodied, thicker than your average brown ale.

O: Good, tasty beer. Would definitely try again soon if I can find it on tap again. Tried at Il Gatto during happy hour in Minneapolis. The coffee notes/tastes surprised me and the bourbon (toned down from full bourbon taste unlike other bourbon beer I've had) was pleasant.

05-17-2011 01:29:38 | More by mrseano
RoyalT

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance – I don’t find American Browns one of the more visually appealing styles, but this one looks mighty good. The brown body is hazy and clouded, and the head actually came up well and showed good retention.

Smell – The plain malts and light hopping opened up as the ale warmed. The brown and raw sugars came out after ten minutes or so and the toasty bread nicely rounded out this bouquet.

Taste – The malts dominate of course at the taste, with the sugars now stepping back to a mere subtle compliment. There might be some leafy hopping in here as well. This guy doesn’t try to do anything fancy, just fit the style which it nicely does.

This beer is aged in bourbon barrels. A lot of “bourbon barrel aged” beers taste like nothing but bourbon, but here the flavor is very subtle. You might not even notice it if you weren’t looking for it.

Mouthfeel – Rocky’s Revenge is a solid medium-bodied with some cold bitterness throughout the drink.

Drinkability – I enjoyed putting away this Tyranena offering. It’s very even-handed, showing the brewer’s restraint throughout.

Comments – Thanks to BuckeyeNation for laying this one on me.

05-08-2005 01:45:34 | More by RoyalT
DaPeculierDane

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap at Wonder’s pub.

Appearance: Bright brown with garnet hues. Beautiful stark white head. Lasting. Sticky.

Nose: Minerals and metal, subtle floral notes. Coconut malts (if there is such a thing?)

Taste: Nutty with bits of rye toast, light chocolate, and vanilla. Could use a bit more bourbon. When I have had this beer straight from the brewery, the bourbon was almost overpowering. I loved it yet here at Wonder’s their keg leaves me wanting more. I will admit that this seemingly dumbed down version is more drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Dry. Medium bodied. Residual sweetness from the malts but very little.

Drinkability: Quite good, higher than most bourbon beers.

11-17-2005 03:31:18 | More by DaPeculierDane

Ben7773

03-08-2014 07:50:19 | More by Ben7773
orbitalr0x

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

The Rocky's Revenge Bourbon Brown pours from the stubby 12oz'er a dark brown with garnet accents. A small khaki head of foam falls quickly to a ring inside the glass. Aromas begin with sweet caramel and a toasted nutty maltiness. A shot of vanilla and a bit of dark fruit. I don't really pull any bourbon out of the aroma.

First sip brings a toasted caramel maltiness upfront with a bit nutty accent. A somewhat strong vanilla flavor moves in that gets to be a bit much halfway through the glass, along with a bit of butterscotch. Subtle notes of cocoa and hops. Finishes with a touch of bourbon.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Lots of fast moving carbonation smooths it out on the way down. An easy drinking beer that just falls off a bit on the flavor profile for me. I don't think I could have more than one or two in a sitting personally. Overall, a unique brown ale that steps outside the norm a bit.

06-14-2006 04:03:06 | More by orbitalr0x
ROBORB

3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

12 oz bottle courtesy of Deniz, thanks man!

This beer poured a translucent brown with a thin 1 inch head. The head died quickly and left a little lacing on the glass. The smell of bourbon is prevalent, as is caramel. I found the taste matched the smell. This beer was very thin for me and I didn't enjoy that aspect of it. Overall, this beer is a great session beer and nothing more.

03-11-2009 03:35:35 | More by ROBORB
danthehopslamman

08-11-2013 18:05:43 | More by danthehopslamman
DaftPatrick

08-07-2014 04:12:01 | More by DaftPatrick
Todd

Colorado

3.38/5  rDev -9.6%

Bright, brown/garnet with a quick slightly off-white foam lacing, retention, and stick.

Grainy/steely in the nose. Mineral and light fresh grist. Soft floral in the background.

Medium-bodied, firm water feel. Nutty malts. Quite dry from the bourbon barrel aging, but some thin residual sweetness remains. Light chocolate, toasted bread crusts, faint vanilla/coconut. Bourbon is only slightly detectable on the palate, becoming more pronounced at the swallow point and in general as the beer warms. Lifting semi-citric sharpness provides bitterness and is amplified by some prickly carbonation that also creates a quick lived creamy feel on the palate. Thin bourbon flavors linger for quite sometime. Dry/nutty finish.

Interesting, but not overly interesting as far as bourbon aged beers go. This could have used more malt backbone, but I did like the subtle bourbon flavor. Perhaps a bit too subtle, but the levels worked for this Brown Ale. Just enough to seep into the palate and let you know it’s there.

03-02-2005 21:33:05 | More by Todd
Twifiter

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

10-15-2012 20:36:54 | More by Twifiter
warriorsoul

3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

Many thanks to onecrazymofo for this normally, out of reach brew...sounds interesting enough and I love the artwork on the label.
Pours unlike your typical brown ale...has a cloudy, dark cherry tint to it, making it look more like a English style barleywine.
A generous off-white head appears, but dissipates fairly quick. A nice coating remains on top for the duration of the pint.
Nothing overpowering in the nose, but I enjoy what is hitting me...cherries mainly, and definitely the oak as well.
Taste is enjoyable and unlike anything I have tried...not one flavor pushing its way in front of the others. Well balanced and the malt giving it just a touch of sweetness.
Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but the carbonation is perfect.
Not sure I would prefer to make a session out of this brew personally, but could easily be done.
Only my second brew from Tyranena...I am impressed so far.

04-30-2005 20:16:13 | More by warriorsoul
tigg924

4.48/5  rDev +19.8%

Appearance: dark brown in color, hazy, minimal head, moderate carbonation

Smell: dark chocolate and coconut

Taste: complex-chocolate, vanilla, oaking from the whiskey and a touch of coconut taste

Mouthfeel: sweet with a dry end, moderate carbonation, medium-heavy bodied

Overall: One of the best beers I had on my recent trip out west. I love the complexity and there is a bit of a taste of coconut that really makes this stand apart. This one reminds me almost of a good candy bar mixed with beer--may not sound good but is fantastic. This would be a regular staple in my fridge if I could get it here. Fantastic beer.

08-14-2012 17:23:04 | More by tigg924
Mora2000

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a clear light brown color with a tan head. The aroma is grain, caramel malt and little wood. The flavor is caramel with some chocolate and toffee. I don't get much bourbon in the aroma or flavor. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

05-22-2010 04:16:10 | More by Mora2000
1Adam12

Indiana

3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours a light mahogany color. Sweet malt on the nose with maybe just the slightest smell of bourbon, but barely. Tastes pretty much like it smells. The bourbon is present, but just barely, with mostly sweet malt. Very light mouthfeel, not much body. Also very little carbonation, which fits the beer. I think any more carbonation would ruin it entirely. I've had this before, but not since I've gotten in to craft beers. Just a so so beer. I won't be buying this dude again.

Edit: Now that my nose and pallet are growing, I smell vanilla, and it has a slight vanilla on the pallet as well. I like this better now than I did before. I'm changing the smell, taste, and overall to a 3.5 and apparently I did buy this dude again. It is now my favorite go to beer. Whoda thunk it?

06-07-2011 17:14:56 | More by 1Adam12
bsp77

3.94/5  rDev +5.3%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Dark reddish brown as expected, but struggles for much head.

Smell: Caramel and chocolate, with some light bourbon.

Taste: Bourbon is noticeable upfront, along with the expected Brown Ale players of chocolate, caramel, cherry and nuts. The finish has floral components, as well as oak.

Feel: Moderately carbonated, medium-bodied beer with a somewhat drying finish.

Overall: Pretty much as described, as standard Brown Ale with bourbon, which elevates the good, but not great, base beer. Nice to see bourbon used for a lower alcohol beer.

02-06-2013 12:31:46 | More by bsp77

04-25-2014 13:25:57 | More by tyleeis
far333

Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

Chestnut colored liquid capped with an oatmeal colored lid of sea foam. The head grips the sides of the glass and slides down, leaving a uniform ring around the inside. The smell is very faint, do I smell bourbon or am I imagining it? I'm picking up some sweet malt, some brown sugar and molasses, but I have to try hard. A creamy mouthfeel leads to a thin-flavored wash of syrupy flavor of sweet malt and caramel, and definite bourbon overtones. Although I think the bourbon detracts. It doesn't mesh well with the other elements, and leaves a sharp and bitter aftertaste, with a metallic linger. Thanks to BuckeyeNation for sharing, but as I glance at the review below, he appears as enthralled as I.

03-12-2005 00:06:27 | More by far333