1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Rocky's Revenge Bourbon Brown - Tyranena Brewing Company

Rocky's Revenge Bourbon BrownRocky's Revenge Bourbon Brown

good

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Winter on 11-13-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rocky's Revenge Bourbon Brown Alström Bros
Ratings: 634 | Reviews: 348 | Show All Ratings:
LairdChisholm

1.6/5  rDev -57.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

A - Pours a chestnut brown color with copper tints. A one finger tan head has a little bit above average retention. No lacing here. There are some very small carbonation bubbles heading to the top.

S - Not much of a nose here, but what I do smell is not good. I get some chemical smelling roasted malts with some scent that is trying to be bourbon but fails miserably.

T - Watery roasted malts with a mutated chemical bourbon taste. After that there is some watered down brown sugar. Then there is a stale plastic taste to finish. This is awful.

M - Way too watery. But then again, I'm glad these tastes are watered down because I don't know If I could even finish my review if the were not.

D - I'm pouring this down the sink after I finish typing this. If you are going to attempt bourbon aging, do it right.

12-03-2010 17:48:41 | More by LairdChisholm
Buebie

1.7/5  rDev -54.5%

Its a bourban barrel aged brown ale.
I have come to the conclusion that beer from this brewer is not for me.
I'm not even going to do a traditional review of this one. I'm a little ticked at my money spent.

I pick up malt in the nose, go to taste it...and get flavor of bourban, some wood and then blamo! Chalk and sour old cheese, and waaaay over carbonated.. I think they might have a problem with their water.

I'm pissed, but its a lesson learned. I'll Stay away from this brewery, I still have 2 more flavors to review from them too.
I hate chugging beer, but had to with this, I didnt want to dump out another one.

They got their revenge allright...on my tastebuds.

03-28-2008 00:18:37 | More by Buebie
dhannes

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

Poured cold into a Sam Adams Lager glass.

A=Very frothy head of 1/2" that lasted over a minute. But the color of the beer had an unappetizing grayish tint to the amber brown.

S=Non-existant...nothing...nada.

T=Like watered down bourbon. I could not detect anything resembling a beer until about halfway through the serving...even then, the bourbon taste dominated--felt-like I was drinking a boilermaker.

M=No problems here.

D=Hard to drink...was like drinking one watered down shot after another.

If I want this taste, I'll just make a bourbon and water.

01-31-2011 04:36:00 | More by dhannes
SeasonalBrew

2.63/5  rDev -29.7%

Poured into my SA perfect pint glass

A: Pours a deep, dark brown with a thin cream colored head. Retention is minimal, but it does leave a little lacing. Not bad overall, just not anything impressive.

S: Honestly, the first scent that I pick up is bittersweet chocolate and oak.. maybe a slight bourbon nose. Some nuttiness, too. I expected more, though.

T: Ok, I know this is fresh.. we just started getting this in Indiana.. the taste is really unappealing. I'm considering a drain pour. I get the taste of stale malts and rotting oak and then it just fall flat. blah

M: Medium bodied, and enjoyable. It's a shame the taste doesn't hold up.

D: Well, unless you have a severe cold and can't really smell or taste this beer, then I wouldn't really consider it drinkable. At least not enjoyable.

I will stick to the rest of the Tyranena line-up, which is fantastic!

06-07-2010 02:35:04 | More by SeasonalBrew
troyboy79

2.68/5  rDev -28.3%

A - Pours a chestnut brown. A little head but No lacing.

S - Not much of a nose here. Some hints of vanilla but lacks much character.

T - Watery roasted malts. After that there is some watered down brown sugar. I was let down by the fact it was supposedly barrell aged.

M - Way too watery. Very thin on the palette.

D - I'm not very excited and probably wouldnt go out of my way to drink this again.

01-03-2011 01:48:35 | More by troyboy79
MuddyFeet

2.7/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured brown in color but very thin and almost transparent around the edges. Not much of a head, but the head that did form quickly disippitated leaving a thing filmy ring around the edge. Nice and shiny. Alas, no lacing.

Nose was slightly metallic tasting with some strong bourbon tones. I was able to pull out some slight floral tones.

Flavor is first and foremost full of bourbon. Hardly my favorite hard liquor so I find it a bit repulsive. Water flavors then rise up and I really struggle to find any malts. Some hoppiness towards the back end. As an example of the style this beer is lacking. For uniqueness it is interesting though. But the beer flavors are lacking.

Mouthfeel is thin and a bit dry (kind of like licking a two by four). There is a bit of an alcohol burn but I think that might be a mental glitch thanks to the bourbon flavor trying to trick me.

Tough to swallow this beer.

10-14-2005 18:27:19 | More by MuddyFeet
Cresant

Kentucky

2.7/5  rDev -27.8%

Served this 12 oz. brown bottle in a Guinness tulip. Bottled on 03 MAR 10. A hard pour resulted in only a modest tan head. The body was a dull amber/brown, with some haze.

The smell was bourbon and sweet, syrupy.

The taste was sweet and bourbon-y. That's it. I suppose a brown ale can't really carry the bourbon aging.

The mouthfeel was thinner than I expected. There was a decent amount of carbonation.

04-11-2011 14:14:38 | More by Cresant
ChadQuest

2.73/5  rDev -27%

A:Nice looking mahogany brown with rather nice robust sticky head with a surprising amount of lacing.impressive.

S&T:Sweet malts and vanilla is most prominent standout, other sweet ness from caramel and maple syrupy, very subtle oaky notes backing it up. Has a certain light Earthy and Peat aspect to it behind all the bright sweetness, probally from the barrel,not much "bourbon" at all, which is understandable since only a small percent is actually aged in the barrels.

M: Not lacking carbination that's for sure, medium body and slick.

D: It's an interesting brew at first, but the sweetness may seem pretty one dimensional after more then one. i think with this one hunting the Wood & Bourbon out is the game, which is hard, and leaves most dissapointed.

02-28-2010 07:47:27 | More by ChadQuest
TheDudeRules

2.73/5  rDev -27%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle to an imperial pint glass.

Color is brown with a hint of copper. Not far off from a Coca Cola with ice melted in it. Two fingers worth of foam. Plenty of lacing after foam fades away.

Picking up caramel,malt and vanilla in the nose.

This is a tad odd. It feels like a soda pop in my mouth. Fizzy,then quickly gives may to vanilla and malt.

It's plenty carbonated. Feels very watery on the finish.

I hate being so negative in reviews,but I really can't rave about or recommend this. Incredibly average offering. One would be fine but I'm stuck with five more.

02-01-2011 01:17:06 | More by TheDudeRules
flyingspatula

2.78/5  rDev -25.7%

Tyranena has better beers, specifically the Bitter Woman IPA. This is not bad, but I was hoping for something better. It pours a nice brown color, pretty much what I expected. Not much head. It has a really sweet wang to it. It's not terrible though. It is a very malty beer, not much hops flavor, not that I would expect that. I wonder if it really has bourbon...hmmmm.

05-27-2011 02:38:33 | More by flyingspatula
BrownAleMale

2.85/5  rDev -23.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a Horny Goat pint glass.

Appearance- Very dark brown with red hues. Off white head that dissipates to a small layer on top that leaves some spotty lacing.

Smell- Some raisin, cracker and very very slight nuttiness. Pretty mellow smelling overall.

Taste- Similar to the nose as far as mellowness. Toasted nut and thats about it, very tasteless beer really.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with average carbonation. A little less then average on the drinkability factor.

Overall- Bottom line is that it is a very blase beer with not a lot going on. Would I rather have it then a Miller Lite? Yes, but would I rather have it then a PBR? No!

09-15-2012 01:45:11 | More by BrownAleMale
FightingEntropy

2.88/5  rDev -23%

Poured this amber colored ale down the center of the glass, and got very little head at all, and what tannish foam was there disappeared quickly. In a strong light, the color is more gold than amber, very light looking, as is the mouthfeel. Watery, but a little something there with the distinct bourbon taste in the beer. It has the nutty, malty flavor of a brown, but not a lot there. Slightly astringent, and maybe a little diacetyl butteriness. Not bad, and the taste is the best part of the beer. Not crazy about the smell--bourbon in an old sock--bit staleish, but again--not excessively bad in any way--just not good or great. I wish I had traded a few more of this six pack for other beers.

10-08-2006 20:48:44 | More by FightingEntropy
afksports

2.9/5  rDev -22.5%

My first offering from Tyranena Brewing Company in Wisconsin has admittedly left something to desire. Nevertheless, a big thank you to Mike for the beer in the trade. In fact, thanks for sending two bottles, because one broke (I think Rocky didn't want to be consumed on the East Coast).

Rocky's Revenge is a brown ale blended with a brown ale aged in bourbon barrels. The bourbon barrel blend imparts a darkness to the beer and a tiny waft in the nose of bourbon aging. Mostly it's closer to root beer candies, though. Not terrible to look at, it's got a minor head that sustains pretty well, dark and full of malts and well, water. The smell is like fake root beer candies that no one really wants. I guess there's a tiny hint of bourbon. Not much else.

The taste is about the same. I love browns, so it's hard to rate this one low, but it's just not that appealing. The taste begins with malt, carries on with water, and finishes with, more water. It's a watery, partially bourbon, heavily malted mess.

Not totally bad I guess, because it's well-carbonated and goes down easily enough. Just not something I'd come back to that often. Or ever.

It seems Rocky has had his Revenge. On my palate.

02-22-2011 02:47:40 | More by afksports
plaid75

2.93/5  rDev -21.7%

Poured a dark amber hue with a one finger creamy head. There was good retention and nice sticky lacing.

The smell had a heavy air of bourbon. As I am not a bourbon drinker, this aroma put me off a bit.

The taste had a strong bourbon element coupled with a solid malty sweetness. Very dry ffinish as well.

The mouthfeel was average and dry.

Overall an interesting brew. I would imagine that this would appeal to a bourbon drinker.

07-14-2006 02:55:53 | More by plaid75
goodbyeohio

Oregon

2.95/5  rDev -21.1%

dark brown pour with nothing much going for it other than a bit of keen reddish hue around the edges. murky topper with solid thin foam ring. typical brown ale, regardless of said bourbon aging.

smells strangely sweet, almost belgian. i get no booze, nor do i get any earthy nuttiness that i expect from a (stronger) brown ale. actually, strangely enough, it smells exactly like honey. it's desirable in that way.. just not what i expected at all. it smells like honey spread on toasted whole wheat. i am getting more and more into it as i whiff.

but then i taste it. a buttery bomb of diacetyl is all that defines this beer. infection perhaps? lord knows the base beer has no definition here, and the bourbon in the barrels has long since retired. all i am left with is a funky vanilla coccus with a slight pleasing hint of dryness in the finish. it feels boozy in my digestive tract, but i don't taste any of the barrely goodness that i had expected. it smelled like honey on toast, and it honestly tastes like buttered toast on the tongue. having recently enjoyed bbc's jim brown (JD-imperial brown), i can confidently say that this beer is a complete failure in its mission to meld the sweet subtlety of a brown ale with the aged, hyperfueled notes from a bourbon barrel.

my suggestion to tyranena: amp up the base beer. bring the brown ale to new (imperial?) heights.. and use barrels with less usage. you're getting woody flaws when you should be getting bourbon notes.

this idea has potential (again, see bbc).. and i have dug many tyranena beers in the past. this one just let me down.

ps: had it on tap at the brewery a week ago, and it maintained much more of the booze flavor, which was abrasive due to the limpness of the brown ale.. but was preferable over this bottled version.

08-17-2007 16:01:34 | More by goodbyeohio
GDBEERMAN

Colorado

2.95/5  rDev -21.1%

12oz bottle into mug:from notes.
A: Pours a dark body, one that has some amber hues. The off white head pours a two finger head that settles into a substantial layer. Overall slight head retention. The lace is minimal.
S: A some what of a deep fried aroma. Not really a bourbon note, but a hazy, smoky note.
T/M: The front of this brew is a light bodied ale and a sweet note that does not blend well with the bourbon undertones. The bourbon is a bit of a mess. The lingering taste is strange and not really that pleasant. A bit of soy sauce on the finish,... woof.
D: An easy drinking brew. but flavor make it a bit hard to finish or even consider coming back to.

10-22-2010 14:00:18 | More by GDBEERMAN
uberez8

2.95/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured a nice clear brown, very carbonated with a two finger head which had me worried. Sure enough the aroma continued this doubt with a weak punch. As for the taste and mouthfeel, Not overly impressed again, the carbonation gets in the way of the flavor, hitting back a malty, nutty simpleness with a watery feel. It's not a bad brown ale by any means but it just suffers from being far to average and simple.

Maybe my mistake with this brew was starting off with Tyranena's brewer's gone wild series and Down n' Dirty stouts, both fantastic in their own ways. This brown ale, on the other hand, not so much.

04-06-2011 00:03:24 | More by uberez8
TheSSG

2.96/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours a huge, dense, off-white head that has great persistence. Initial aroma is floral hops with a distinct wood and oak notes; bright and floral as the head settles. Deep burnt umber color. Starts with a nice mix of toasted malt, floral hops, and bitterness. Good amount of metallic as things mellow, then notes of oak and wood come forward from the shadows. Finish is metallic hops and toasted malt with lingering complexity of oak wood.

There are some really great things going on here, but there's also just too much of a metallic presence coming in and out to allow this to reach its full potential. If the metallic aspect were gone, this would get a score bump of a full point.

08-01-2013 00:41:48 | More by TheSSG
barleywinefiend

Washington

2.98/5  rDev -20.3%

A: Poured slow, boring and dark brown with some reddish highlightss. Small white head quickly fades to a ring around the glass.

S: Light vanilla, toffee, caramel malt and hints if bourbon

T : Sweet malt flavor and caramel with a nice bourbon flavor evident on the finish. Not an overpowering flavor of bourbon. Perhaps I would like a bit more of the bourbon showing. Some nuts, light vanilla and toffee provide some flavor but this beer was rather muddy.

M: Medium body with a light carbonation, not okay for the style.

O: Not impressed, not bad but probably would not drink again. Besides the poor carbonation and muddled flavors it was not bad.

11-04-2012 15:00:02 | More by barleywinefiend
Malty_Matty

3.01/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Huge disappointment. The bourbon flavor completely overwhelms the beer. I would suggest a bolder brown ale base to this beer. I have to give them props, I love a good Brown ale, and bourbon could definitely jive with the style, I just don't know if there is a brown up to the task.

01-23-2013 00:26:01 | More by Malty_Matty
granger10

3.03/5  rDev -19%

Got this bottle thanks to the man known as CRJMellor

Pours out an amber brown color with copper along the edges. Medium sized head rises and falls kind of quickly. Decent lacing along the sides of my glass.

I inhale and whoa that's a burn! My nostril hairs cringed for a second. What the hell? It's a burning bourbon aroma along with some peat. Very unusual, maybe I'm sensitive to it or something, I liked the uniqueness of the aroma but not really the aroma itself.

Taste is much more restrained. Begins with a brown sugar sweetness then slight, undescript fruits come in underneath. Toffee combines with an earthiness in the middle. A little smoke comes forth then the shot of JD in the end. There's vanilla in there the whole time underneath. The bourbon aspect here almost seems different than the brown ale itself. Like drinking the beer then taking a mini shot while the beer is in your mouth.

This mouthfeel was really solid here even though the alcohol seemed a bit separated. Really creamy and a good thickness to hold the flavors together.

As for drinkability, this was a nice drinker but the sweetness would get to me after awhile. While I spoke of the bourbon being separate I really would like to see a little more bourbon in this to match the sweetness. But maybe I'm being harsh because it did go down rather fast.

This was a unique experience that I'm glad I got to try. Those Wisconsin brewers keep surprising me. Thanks Craig.

Edited 8-14-06
I've had this a few times and it just gets worse and worse to me. Now, it really reminds me of jack and coke. Really fake sweet and really, really whiskey strong. The recent bottles need some barrel control or something like that.

02-16-2005 13:29:58 | More by granger10
Px2GrafX

3.05/5  rDev -18.4%

presentation: 12oz. bottle. label has an oval in the center with an illustration of some fishermen battling a sea serpent. "tyranena brewing co." and "lake mills, wisconsin" encircle the oval. "rocky's revenge" is stamped on the right hand side. a story describing the legend of rocky the serpent is on the left side of the label. "rocky's revenge is an american brown ale with a portion aged in bourbon barrels". there appears to be a fresh by date on the neck label, but the majority of the date didn't get stamped on the label and it's not discernable. no abv displayed.

appearance: pours a deep reddish brown with deep red highlights in a stein mug. 2 inch head that's fluffy and off-white in color. retention and lacing is good. bubbles rise inspired through the fairly clear liquid.

smell: malty, but not overly sweet in the nose. nutty and bready. coconut aroma is detected, but not assigned until after reading about it in other reviews.

taste: grainy bread, nutty and lightly sweet. touches of chocolate and vanilla. bourbon is more and more apparent and warming as the brew warms. i'm getting an odd taste and aroma i'm not used to, and after reading some other reviews, i'm confident it's coconut. finish is very dry. aftertaste is lightly astringent and displays hints of bourbon.

mouthfeel: light-medium body with good carbonation. lightly resinous. rolls around in your mouth a little harshly and swallow clunks a bit.

drinkability: alcohol is well masked, but bourbon flavors slow me a bit. coconut aromas and flavors don't make much sense to me either. mouthfeel is a touch rough. one and done.

overall: first of all, i'd like to thank mlh1227 for the try here. however, this is not my thing. i'm not overly attracted to bourbon flavors. the coconut was a hinderance to me as well. a nice try as i always enjoy trying something new, but i can't give my recommendation.

11-07-2005 03:14:14 | More by Px2GrafX
bashiba

Iowa

3.08/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured a semi clear dark brown with light orange highlights, a thin soapy tan head.

The smell is very mild with hints of brown sugar and light bit of peat.

The flavor is very mild and dominate by the light bourbon and oak flavors with just a hint of sweet bready malts coming through. Almost no bitterness and seems a bit out of balance.

The mouthfeel has a dry oaky character to it.

Overall was very average, the beer itself isn't enough to stand up to the barrel aging and it dominates the flavor to a very large degree.

04-27-2011 22:18:50 | More by bashiba
Khazadum

3.08/5  rDev -17.6%

A- Easy head generation, giant bubbles cascade up from the cola colored body. It definitely is clear and should be given props for having light pass through, but docked for having a head that is medium to low retention. Good lacing of off-tan colors give me the impression that there is more than meets the eye... they cling on for dear life.

S- Not much going on here. Very, very faint vanilla oak character, a sharp astringency of paper products follows before that. What could be a malty body lies in wait, musty at times like a bathroom. Wish it actually had a nutty or bourbon character to speak of here.

T- First notes to portray themselves are malty, light sweetness. Transitions into a sharpness and bready nature that is more cellulose and less yeasty goodness than I want. Finish is grainy, mildly sweet, mostly bread. Its a sweetness like caramel syrup, but diluted out. After repeated consumption I'm finding a burst of nutty character. Like a handful of mixed nuts, that finishing combination of flavors right after the opening carbonation settles.

M- Crisp, bitingly so right off the cuff. Lingering nature, sticky flavors that I don't want and thin flavors that I do want. Full body at least and very creamy.

When I buy a bourbon barrel brown ale, guess what I want? Not this fucking beer.

10-26-2011 23:43:43 | More by Khazadum
cpolking

Iowa

3.1/5  rDev -17.1%

This pours a dark brown but still translucent. The aroma is malty, slightly sweet, a bit of caramel and a hint of bourbon. The taste is exactly like what this is, brown beer with a taste of bourbon from the aging. This beer is an American brown ale with a portion aged in bourbon barrels.

11-03-2010 02:34:41 | More by cpolking