1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Rocky's Revenge Bourbon Brown - Tyranena Brewing Company

Rocky's Revenge Bourbon BrownRocky's Revenge Bourbon Brown

good

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Winter on 11-13-2004)
Ratings: 634 | Reviews: 348 | Show All Ratings:
Franz4

3.35/5  rDev -10.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A- nice dark burn sienna brown, off white head settles to nothing quickly.

S- malty, nutty, and bready on the nose, just slightly musty

T- toasted grains, some nuttiness--almonds, mustiness comes through as well. If you serve this cold the bourbon is nowhere to be found, as the beer warms you get more hints of a mild bourbon flavor.

M- carbonation is good, weight is nice for the style, well done here.

O- This is a nice, basically average beer, glad I was able to try it, wish I could try more from the brewery, as it is I need to rely on traveling friends to bring more my way.

10-13-2011 23:16:03 | More by Franz4
THEOPTIMATOR88

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a deep brown with minimal head and retention. Smell is mostly nuts with some roasted notes and just a hint of bourbon. Mouthfeel is creamy and mildly thick, mild carbonation although I don't know how old the bottle is. Taste is roasted nuts followed by a very subtle bourbon sweetness. I really like the balance on this. Finishes fairly dry and sweet with some hop bitterness. Overall, interesting brown ale concept executed well. Would drink this again.

10-13-2011 02:03:04 | More by THEOPTIMATOR88
BennyL1

3.73/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Thorpe429 for the bottle. Bottled on 10/26/10. I've had this one for a while, probably should have had it a bit fresher. But here we go anyways.

Pours a good looking deep chestnut color. Small off white head with a bit of lacing.

Decent aroma showcasing some nuts and hints of bourbon. Maybe some cocoa in there too.

Taste is very pleasing. Smooth, mellow bourbon goes along nicely with some nuttiness and caramel. Even with a year on it, flavors are still fairly pronounced.

Smooth, medium bodied with lower carbonation.

Probably should have had this fresher, but still good none the less.

10-12-2011 01:00:29 | More by BennyL1
JohnnyHopps

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%

Recently this has become one of my "go-to beers" that I keep readily stocked. Bourbon aged beers have become a trend, so bonus points go to this one for its accessability.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, Rocky is a dark brown with a verly slight foamy head. The aroma gives an immediate hint of bourbon with the sours hints of a brown ale. The initial taste is a perfect blend of brown ale balanced with hints of bourbon aging. The bourbon is not overpowering. The oakiness stays in the aftertaste with a slight sourness. The mouthfeel is thick for a brown ale. It coats the tongue allowing the taste to stay in your mouth for a while. The complexity of the taste makes it obvious that this is not a mass produced beer.

This beer makes an excellent intro for those getting into the bourbon aged beer trend. It is not an overwhelming bourbon flavor, but it is accessible and very tasty.

09-12-2011 00:47:05 | More by JohnnyHopps
BUNZILLA

Serving Type : 12oz. Bottle poured into snifter

Appearance : amber brown in color. Excellent lacing with a long lasting head

Smell : subtle malt aromas and subtle bourbon notes

Taste : not any huge bourbon flavors is a very pleasant beer though. It has a nice malt sweetness

Mouthfeel : medium bodied beer with good carbonation. It has a nice long lasting aftertaste

Overall : this was a good beer overall. I would definitely would like to have another one

09-05-2011 18:52:10 | More by BUNZILLA
SkitzIrish3

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

Rocky's Revenge pours very dark brown with a very appealing two fingers of thick, creamy head.

Pronounced bourbon smell instantly, along with light chocolate and mild floral hop aromas.

First taste is smooth and has a light bourbon in the middle of huge chocolate flavor. Some vanilla sneaks in there after a while, bringing an intriguing combination of chocolate and vanilla. Floral, even slightly citrusy hops along with the lingering bourbon and a very subtle presence of alcohol spice up and balance the combination, and leave the palate dry upon the finish.

While certainly not perfect, Rocky's Revenge is an enjoyable, medium-bodied beer that is smooth, drinkable, and complex enough for the palate to appreciate. A brew I will enjoy again.

08-31-2011 19:42:40 | More by SkitzIrish3
Klym

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

Mega-cheers to klikger for the bottle and the surly pint glass I drink from!

On the pour and smell I wasn't so interested in this beer. It looked a little placid and flattish, and the smell was very much a generic-brown smell with a slight kick. The taste though, packed a pleasant surprise. A nicely concentrated generic brown taste profile makes up the core but there's a great bourbon aspect and an unexpected floralness to the beer. Very sessionable with strong, unusual, and well-integrated flavors. Would knock out a six pack of this pretty easily and very happily.

08-28-2011 06:29:20 | More by Klym
tvv375ia

Iowa

3.13/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A-clear chestnut brown with less than1/4" head that vanished quickly with no lacing

S-when first opened I got a lot of bourbon smell but after about 5-10 min in the glass the bourbon smell is gone and I smell vanilla

T-almost like the smell, at first I could taste bourbon and almost nothing else after sitting I have vanilla taste with malt and almost no bourbon

M-doesn't seem to have a lot of carbonation

O-for such a bourbon taste when I first opened the bottle I was amazed at how it disappeared after breathing for just a few minutes if you like the bourbon my advice is drink it quick

08-28-2011 00:56:25 | More by tvv375ia
brew3crew

4.47/5  rDev +19.5%

bottle dated 06/23/2011

A-Light brown body with almost no head whatsoever

S-I said to myself "Oh wow". The bourbon is subtle and pleasant. defineitly not overpowering

t-Sweet bourbon and maltiness, almost a perfect blend.

m-medium body and smooth

O-Wow, a great BA beers that gets no love. Very smooth and subtle but flavorful

08-14-2011 21:30:43 | More by brew3crew
woosterbill

Connecticut

3.4/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Clear body the color of maple syrup underneath a full inch of frothy, coarse tan foam. Retention isn’t the best, but the head does recede into a solid, sticky ring; light lace. Pretty solid.

S: Bourbon certainly comes through, but it isn’t all that strong; even so, it’s clearly the dominant aroma. There’s some caramel and chocolate malt balanced with light, slightly fruity hops as well, but overall this is a fairly underpowering beer smell-wise. Nothing bad at all, but nothing to praise too highly, either.

T: Bourbon starts and finishes things here, with some chocolate and citrus peeking out midway through. Long, slightly boozy finish from the barrel. Some dry oak on the aftertaste. Enjoyable, but again a little weak and unbalanced: only a portion of this beer was aged in barrels, and yet the malt still can’t quite stand up to the bourbon influence.

M: Much like the appearance, this one is overly coarse and foamy; what body I can feel is somewhat sticky and of a medium consistency. Not that great.

O: This is a pretty solid Brown Ale overall, and it’s really exciting to find a bourbon-barrel beer at this kind of price point; that said, I’d much rather drink Tyranena’s own Headless Man if I wanted a nicely malty, balanced brew. The barrel just doesn’t mesh well with the base beer in this case, making me a bit worried about trying the other partially –bal aged beers from this brewery. Here’s hoping the stronger stuff holds its own better than this one did. If I want to drink something that tastes like watered-down bourbon, I’ll just water down some bourbon.

Cheers!

07-29-2011 23:21:58 | More by woosterbill
bluemoonswoon

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

12oz bottle poured into a Two Brothers imperial pint glass.

I have absolutely no idea why I have been so averse to this beer as it has been avaiable in my neck of the words for about two years now. Maybe it was the thought that a beer aged in bourbon barrels that clocks in under 10% abv couldn't possibly be worth breaking a twenty for.

Pours a clear wood stained maple, topped with a half inch head that sticks in a quarter inch cap that lasts through the duration of the drink. Little to no lacing, but not sure that I should be expecting any.

Well maybe I wasn't wrong for avoiding it, or maybe it's because the beer has been sitting on the shelf for longer than I can remember, but the bourbon aroma seems lacking. I've had this on draft before and the bourbon aromas were far more apparent. Past the weaker barrel aromas are hints of vanilla along with a syrupy sweet toasted maltiness.

Taste is a slight disappointment, light vanilla, touches of cherry, pecan, but these richer, more delicate flavors are marred a bit by a bit of washed out grainy-ness, a bit dusty in taste in feel. Mouthfeel might be the biggest disappointment though, because it certainly doesn't match with how rich this beer tastes. Maybe another review would like the sensation and I do admit it is rather interesting, but the body seems off, that is, the lack of carbonation coupled with how clean the beer (relatively) feels on my tongue makes the beer seem flatter than it actually is. Had the beer been a bit higher in the gravity department such a feeling might be more at home, but in a 6% beer aged in bourbon barrels it just seems off.

I am conflicted with this beer, because I am not sure how to feel about it and maybe that's because of how I normally envision barrel aged beers (ie. thick, black as night, and boozy as hell) so when I encounter a beer like this my balance is thrown off and I think, maybe if I had the opportunity to review some lower ABV barrel aged beers the rating might change, but until that day comes the beer gets the rating it gets.

07-27-2011 03:17:52 | More by bluemoonswoon
bdo894

3.35/5  rDev -10.4%

Nice looking brown beer. Clear with a soft creamy head.
Smells of hops and malt. Maple.
Pretty bitter beer upon tasting. Also butterscotch and malt.
Kinda rough mouthfeel.
Pretty good beer. I was given an outstanding recommendation not sure if I agree.

07-21-2011 20:13:46 | More by bdo894
DmanGTR

3.13/5  rDev -16.3%

Review from notes during a blind tasting. Thanks to Jeff for bringing this.

Poured maple brown with no head. Aroma is of oxidation, rather dull and weak. Not much to speak of here. Slight fruitiness in the flavor and a bit of caramel. Body is light and slick with a bit of carbonation. This is a perfect example of a beer that isn't offensive, but simply boring. Bland and boring. I couldn't find any hint of bourbon at all in here. Unveiling of the beer left us scratching our heads.

07-10-2011 03:57:43 | More by DmanGTR
shanblur

3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A - Dark brown with some reddish hues. Small white head quickly fades to a ring.

S - Caramel malts with just a hint of bourbon. Faint hops.

T - Sweet malt flavor and caramel with a nice bourbon flavor evident on the finish. Not an overpowering flavor of bourbon. Perhaps I would like a bit more of the bourbon showing.

M - Light body with a light carbonation

I enjoyed this beer. Have never had a brown ale with bourbon barrel aging. I would have liked a bit more bourbon flavor.

07-09-2011 22:38:27 | More by shanblur
Duff27

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

A- Half inch fizzy head over a clear dark red/brown beer. Decent head retention and lacing. A lot of effervescence if you look close.

S- Cola, vanilla/bourbon amalgamation.

T-Sweet and malty. The very end of each sip, the hint bourbon and vanilla perhaps, takes some getting used to.

M- Smoth. Adequate carbonation, medium mouthfeel.

D/O- Drinks bigger than 6%abv. While bourbon beers are generally alright with this guy, this one just didn't tickle my fancy. It wasn't overpowering, just showed more than I would have liked in a "sessionable" beer. Better browns out there.

06-23-2011 01:43:48 | More by Duff27
CWBlues

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a gorgeous dark caramel color, just a beautiful brown. Not much of a head.

S: Light caramel and vanilla notes, a bit of sweet maltiness.

T: Caramel on the back of the tongue, a bit of vanilla. Some roastiness. What I like most is the VERY light bourbon in the aftertaste. Too many brews can become overpowering on the bourbon. Don't get me wrong, I love a good bourbon, but this one finds a pretty fantastic balance in its aging.

M: It hangs around in the mouth just as long as I want it to. Good carbonation.

O: I was really happy with this one. I've been trying a lot of bourbon-aged ales lately, and this one is up in my top 3. Very well done. I'd be happy drinking this one again and again. In fact, I just might.

06-12-2011 00:41:41 | More by CWBlues
matttttYCE

Arizona

3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

12oz bottle with a bottled on date of 17FEB11. Thanks for another nice extra MooreHopps!

Appearance - Slower, side of the glass pour brings up a nice finger and a half high off white smooth-fizzy head. Head lasts a long while and leaves some light sticky lacing around the side of the glass. Color is a dark amber brown with hints of ruby red in there when held up to the light.

Smell - Sweet caramel malt with nice dark fruit aromas, light bourbon/vanilla notes, and maybe some molasses and a bit of tart cherry in there as well. Complex smell for the style.

Taste - Dry bourbon notes, vanilla and caramel sweetness, roasted and caramel malt, nutty flavors, brown sugar, slight coffee notes, something I can only describe as "a kind of classic brown taste", and wood/oak on the finish. For the taste, I feel it's closest to a bit above average for an Am. Brown Ale. The complexity of the taste with the partial bourbon barrel aging helps put this above average.

Mouthfeel - Consistency is smooth and about average for the style. Carbonation and body are both light-medium, again about average. Finish is average length and really a happy medium between wet and dry.

Overall - For an American Brown Ale, it's a very good example of complexity and something interesting/a bit different from the norm. For my overall I think it's just above average. 3.5 for this one. Definitely worth a try if you like the style or Bourbon or both or if you're just looking for a complex drinkable beer.

06-10-2011 03:25:37 | More by matttttYCE
Bierlerner

Oklahoma

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

A- Dark brown. Pretty much matches the bottle it comes in. 1 finger off-white head that goes away quickly. Not much lacing to speak of.

S- Smells great. A caramel sweetness with hints of coffee, vanilla, and bourbon notes.

T- Really great. Again with the coffee and vanilla. Faint hint of chocolate? Nice sweet malts with traces of bourbon throughout. Nice subtle woody finish.

M- Medium to Medium-light body. Light carbonation. Kinda of creamy with a bubbly dry finish. As the beer warms, get a nice lingering bourbon burn on the lips as well. Awesome.

O- Pretty decent beer. I could definitely throw back a few of these. Another good brew by Tyranena.

06-10-2011 01:22:06 | More by Bierlerner
1Adam12

3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours a light mahogany color. Sweet malt on the nose with maybe just the slightest smell of bourbon, but barely. Tastes pretty much like it smells. The bourbon is present, but just barely, with mostly sweet malt. Very light mouthfeel, not much body. Also very little carbonation, which fits the beer. I think any more carbonation would ruin it entirely. I've had this before, but not since I've gotten in to craft beers. Just a so so beer. I won't be buying this dude again.

Edit: Now that my nose and pallet are growing, I smell vanilla, and it has a slight vanilla on the pallet as well. I like this better now than I did before. I'm changing the smell, taste, and overall to a 3.5 and apparently I did buy this dude again. It is now my favorite go to beer. Whoda thunk it?

06-07-2011 17:14:56 | More by 1Adam12
flyingspatula

2.78/5  rDev -25.7%

Tyranena has better beers, specifically the Bitter Woman IPA. This is not bad, but I was hoping for something better. It pours a nice brown color, pretty much what I expected. Not much head. It has a really sweet wang to it. It's not terrible though. It is a very malty beer, not much hops flavor, not that I would expect that. I wonder if it really has bourbon...hmmmm.

05-27-2011 02:38:33 | More by flyingspatula
mdvatab

3.55/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle dated 4/1/11 into shaker pint.

Aroma: Sweet, malty caramel accompanied by herbal hop note. Pleasant aroma, but not overwhelming.

Appearance: One finger of off-white foam shrinks to a ring aroung the inside of the glass. Ruby brown body.

Flavor: Carmelized sugar, nutty sweetness, and mild bitterness in the middle to balance. Some oak appears in the middle, followed by toasted marshmallow. The finish is relatively clean, faint metallic note aside.

Mouthfeel: Very light body for style-- a bit watery. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Tasty, unoffensive, and sessionable. Balance leans toward malt. Would have liked a bit more body and flavor, but, again, not a bad beer.

05-27-2011 02:11:36 | More by mdvatab
harrymel

Washington

3.55/5  rDev -5.1%

Bottled 21Jun2010

A: pours a brown ale with cherry hues and brilliant clarity. Single finger of off-white head falls to a decent sheet of the same. Spotty lacing.

S: Raisins, raisins, malts, bourbon and raisins. Sweet and stony fruits. Slightly peppery and herbal nose touches and sweet with molasses as well. anise. Nutty. I like this nose.

T: Dry and nutty. Bourbon is present and obvious - and I imagine that the bourbon was ferocious a year ago. Herbal, tea flavors, vanilla, brown sugar, oaky, decent.

M: Medium to thin for the style with medium carbonation. Slightly slicking on the palate.

O: Decent, but brown ales don't really benefit from a barrel really. Still has a slight hint of alcohol. Plenty of fruits on this - indicating to me that the beer wouldn't age particularly well. This is a good attempt, but theres something missing. At 6% abv, the beer doesn't really hold up.

05-25-2011 16:45:06 | More by harrymel
fastpass17

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

12 oz Brown bottle.

A: Chestnut brown with orange and red highlights. Crystal clear appearance with a one finger head that last through the drink, and medium carbonation.

S: Light brown sugar appears first, followed by a slightly tart sherry likeness. Lastly there is a small malt push with a touch of caramel.

T: Vanilla and bourbon come up very pleasantly in the beginning. The middle of the drink the classic brown character come in. Finishes off with a kiss of wood and spice.

M,O: Wonderfully drinkable bourbon aged beer. I wish there were more beers of this strength put into a barrel. A brewery closer to home has to make a beer of this ilk.

05-14-2011 02:06:03 | More by fastpass17
curtiswvu

3.1/5  rDev -17.1%

Pourced into a stemless white wine glass

appearance: dark brown with a read hue. About 1 finger of dirty white head.

smell: Bourbon, brown sugar, candy

taste: Too sweet and the bourbon just mixes in poorly, reminds me of chasing a shot of Jim with a Newcastel.

mouthfeel: mild carbonation much to thin to hold up to barrel aging.

overall: Unremarkable in my opinion. As usual though most brown ales just leave me wishing I had bought a stout.

05-11-2011 23:18:38 | More by curtiswvu
THECPJ

Delaware

3.73/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark brown with a 1 finger off white head

smell: caramel, malts, sweetness,

taste: caramel, sweet, malts, brown sugar, syrup

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: nice flavor and body. enjoyed this brown ale.

Cheers,