Rocky's Revenge Bourbon Brown - Tyranena Brewing Company

good

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Winter on 11-13-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rocky's Revenge Bourbon Brown Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A-clear chestnut brown with less than1/4" head that vanished quickly with no lacing

S-when first opened I got a lot of bourbon smell but after about 5-10 min in the glass the bourbon smell is gone and I smell vanilla

T-almost like the smell, at first I could taste bourbon and almost nothing else after sitting I have vanilla taste with malt and almost no bourbon

M-doesn't seem to have a lot of carbonation

O-for such a bourbon taste when I first opened the bottle I was amazed at how it disappeared after breathing for just a few minutes if you like the bourbon my advice is drink it quick

4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

bottle dated 06/23/2011

A-Light brown body with almost no head whatsoever

S-I said to myself "Oh wow". The bourbon is subtle and pleasant. defineitly not overpowering

t-Sweet bourbon and maltiness, almost a perfect blend.

m-medium body and smooth

O-Wow, a great BA beers that gets no love. Very smooth and subtle but flavorful

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

A: very deep, dark, nice brown-black pour with a dirty looking layer of foam...maybe a finger think, floating calmly on the top..but i think less...but fades rather quickly...

S: Smoky nuts topped with a bit of glazed caramel and and just enough bourbon to be hinted nicely...

T: Nutty, brown sugar, hint of vanilla, light bourbon [by that I mean, not heavy bourbon in comparison to other BBA beers like Ivan or GIBCS, etc]... Very drinkable...

M: medium to light body...

O: a good brown ale, and the bourbon seems to be a nice added touch, very likable!!

3.4/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Clear body the color of maple syrup underneath a full inch of frothy, coarse tan foam. Retention isn’t the best, but the head does recede into a solid, sticky ring; light lace. Pretty solid.

S: Bourbon certainly comes through, but it isn’t all that strong; even so, it’s clearly the dominant aroma. There’s some caramel and chocolate malt balanced with light, slightly fruity hops as well, but overall this is a fairly underpowering beer smell-wise. Nothing bad at all, but nothing to praise too highly, either.

T: Bourbon starts and finishes things here, with some chocolate and citrus peeking out midway through. Long, slightly boozy finish from the barrel. Some dry oak on the aftertaste. Enjoyable, but again a little weak and unbalanced: only a portion of this beer was aged in barrels, and yet the malt still can’t quite stand up to the bourbon influence.

M: Much like the appearance, this one is overly coarse and foamy; what body I can feel is somewhat sticky and of a medium consistency. Not that great.

O: This is a pretty solid Brown Ale overall, and it’s really exciting to find a bourbon-barrel beer at this kind of price point; that said, I’d much rather drink Tyranena’s own Headless Man if I wanted a nicely malty, balanced brew. The barrel just doesn’t mesh well with the base beer in this case, making me a bit worried about trying the other partially –bal aged beers from this brewery. Here’s hoping the stronger stuff holds its own better than this one did. If I want to drink something that tastes like watered-down bourbon, I’ll just water down some bourbon.

Cheers!

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

12oz bottle poured into a Two Brothers imperial pint glass.

I have absolutely no idea why I have been so averse to this beer as it has been avaiable in my neck of the words for about two years now. Maybe it was the thought that a beer aged in bourbon barrels that clocks in under 10% abv couldn't possibly be worth breaking a twenty for.

Pours a clear wood stained maple, topped with a half inch head that sticks in a quarter inch cap that lasts through the duration of the drink. Little to no lacing, but not sure that I should be expecting any.

Well maybe I wasn't wrong for avoiding it, or maybe it's because the beer has been sitting on the shelf for longer than I can remember, but the bourbon aroma seems lacking. I've had this on draft before and the bourbon aromas were far more apparent. Past the weaker barrel aromas are hints of vanilla along with a syrupy sweet toasted maltiness.

Taste is a slight disappointment, light vanilla, touches of cherry, pecan, but these richer, more delicate flavors are marred a bit by a bit of washed out grainy-ness, a bit dusty in taste in feel. Mouthfeel might be the biggest disappointment though, because it certainly doesn't match with how rich this beer tastes. Maybe another review would like the sensation and I do admit it is rather interesting, but the body seems off, that is, the lack of carbonation coupled with how clean the beer (relatively) feels on my tongue makes the beer seem flatter than it actually is. Had the beer been a bit higher in the gravity department such a feeling might be more at home, but in a 6% beer aged in bourbon barrels it just seems off.

I am conflicted with this beer, because I am not sure how to feel about it and maybe that's because of how I normally envision barrel aged beers (ie. thick, black as night, and boozy as hell) so when I encounter a beer like this my balance is thrown off and I think, maybe if I had the opportunity to review some lower ABV barrel aged beers the rating might change, but until that day comes the beer gets the rating it gets.

3.35/5  rDev -10.2%

Nice looking brown beer. Clear with a soft creamy head.
Smells of hops and malt. Maple.
Pretty bitter beer upon tasting. Also butterscotch and malt.
Kinda rough mouthfeel.
Pretty good beer. I was given an outstanding recommendation not sure if I agree.

3.13/5  rDev -16.1%

Review from notes during a blind tasting. Thanks to Jeff for bringing this.

Poured maple brown with no head. Aroma is of oxidation, rather dull and weak. Not much to speak of here. Slight fruitiness in the flavor and a bit of caramel. Body is light and slick with a bit of carbonation. This is a perfect example of a beer that isn't offensive, but simply boring. Bland and boring. I couldn't find any hint of bourbon at all in here. Unveiling of the beer left us scratching our heads.

3.43/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A - Dark brown with some reddish hues. Small white head quickly fades to a ring.

S - Caramel malts with just a hint of bourbon. Faint hops.

T - Sweet malt flavor and caramel with a nice bourbon flavor evident on the finish. Not an overpowering flavor of bourbon. Perhaps I would like a bit more of the bourbon showing.

M - Light body with a light carbonation

I enjoyed this beer. Have never had a brown ale with bourbon barrel aging. I would have liked a bit more bourbon flavor.

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

A- Half inch fizzy head over a clear dark red/brown beer. Decent head retention and lacing. A lot of effervescence if you look close.

S- Cola, vanilla/bourbon amalgamation.

T-Sweet and malty. The very end of each sip, the hint bourbon and vanilla perhaps, takes some getting used to.

M- Smoth. Adequate carbonation, medium mouthfeel.

D/O- Drinks bigger than 6%abv. While bourbon beers are generally alright with this guy, this one just didn't tickle my fancy. It wasn't overpowering, just showed more than I would have liked in a "sessionable" beer. Better browns out there.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a gorgeous dark caramel color, just a beautiful brown. Not much of a head.

S: Light caramel and vanilla notes, a bit of sweet maltiness.

T: Caramel on the back of the tongue, a bit of vanilla. Some roastiness. What I like most is the VERY light bourbon in the aftertaste. Too many brews can become overpowering on the bourbon. Don't get me wrong, I love a good bourbon, but this one finds a pretty fantastic balance in its aging.

M: It hangs around in the mouth just as long as I want it to. Good carbonation.

O: I was really happy with this one. I've been trying a lot of bourbon-aged ales lately, and this one is up in my top 3. Very well done. I'd be happy drinking this one again and again. In fact, I just might.

3.43/5  rDev -8%

12oz bottle with a bottled on date of 17FEB11. Thanks for another nice extra MooreHopps!

Appearance - Slower, side of the glass pour brings up a nice finger and a half high off white smooth-fizzy head. Head lasts a long while and leaves some light sticky lacing around the side of the glass. Color is a dark amber brown with hints of ruby red in there when held up to the light.

Smell - Sweet caramel malt with nice dark fruit aromas, light bourbon/vanilla notes, and maybe some molasses and a bit of tart cherry in there as well. Complex smell for the style.

Taste - Dry bourbon notes, vanilla and caramel sweetness, roasted and caramel malt, nutty flavors, brown sugar, slight coffee notes, something I can only describe as "a kind of classic brown taste", and wood/oak on the finish. For the taste, I feel it's closest to a bit above average for an Am. Brown Ale. The complexity of the taste with the partial bourbon barrel aging helps put this above average.

Mouthfeel - Consistency is smooth and about average for the style. Carbonation and body are both light-medium, again about average. Finish is average length and really a happy medium between wet and dry.

Overall - For an American Brown Ale, it's a very good example of complexity and something interesting/a bit different from the norm. For my overall I think it's just above average. 3.5 for this one. Definitely worth a try if you like the style or Bourbon or both or if you're just looking for a complex drinkable beer.

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

A- Dark brown. Pretty much matches the bottle it comes in. 1 finger off-white head that goes away quickly. Not much lacing to speak of.

S- Smells great. A caramel sweetness with hints of coffee, vanilla, and bourbon notes.

T- Really great. Again with the coffee and vanilla. Faint hint of chocolate? Nice sweet malts with traces of bourbon throughout. Nice subtle woody finish.

M- Medium to Medium-light body. Light carbonation. Kinda of creamy with a bubbly dry finish. As the beer warms, get a nice lingering bourbon burn on the lips as well. Awesome.

O- Pretty decent beer. I could definitely throw back a few of these. Another good brew by Tyranena.

3.43/5  rDev -8%

Pours a light mahogany color. Sweet malt on the nose with maybe just the slightest smell of bourbon, but barely. Tastes pretty much like it smells. The bourbon is present, but just barely, with mostly sweet malt. Very light mouthfeel, not much body. Also very little carbonation, which fits the beer. I think any more carbonation would ruin it entirely. I've had this before, but not since I've gotten in to craft beers. Just a so so beer. I won't be buying this dude again.

Edit: Now that my nose and pallet are growing, I smell vanilla, and it has a slight vanilla on the pallet as well. I like this better now than I did before. I'm changing the smell, taste, and overall to a 3.5 and apparently I did buy this dude again. It is now my favorite go to beer. Whoda thunk it?

2.78/5  rDev -25.5%

Tyranena has better beers, specifically the Bitter Woman IPA. This is not bad, but I was hoping for something better. It pours a nice brown color, pretty much what I expected. Not much head. It has a really sweet wang to it. It's not terrible though. It is a very malty beer, not much hops flavor, not that I would expect that. I wonder if it really has bourbon...hmmmm.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle dated 4/1/11 into shaker pint.

Aroma: Sweet, malty caramel accompanied by herbal hop note. Pleasant aroma, but not overwhelming.

Appearance: One finger of off-white foam shrinks to a ring aroung the inside of the glass. Ruby brown body.

Flavor: Carmelized sugar, nutty sweetness, and mild bitterness in the middle to balance. Some oak appears in the middle, followed by toasted marshmallow. The finish is relatively clean, faint metallic note aside.

Mouthfeel: Very light body for style-- a bit watery. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Tasty, unoffensive, and sessionable. Balance leans toward malt. Would have liked a bit more body and flavor, but, again, not a bad beer.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottled 21Jun2010

A: pours a brown ale with cherry hues and brilliant clarity. Single finger of off-white head falls to a decent sheet of the same. Spotty lacing.

S: Raisins, raisins, malts, bourbon and raisins. Sweet and stony fruits. Slightly peppery and herbal nose touches and sweet with molasses as well. anise. Nutty. I like this nose.

T: Dry and nutty. Bourbon is present and obvious - and I imagine that the bourbon was ferocious a year ago. Herbal, tea flavors, vanilla, brown sugar, oaky, decent.

M: Medium to thin for the style with medium carbonation. Slightly slicking on the palate.

O: Decent, but brown ales don't really benefit from a barrel really. Still has a slight hint of alcohol. Plenty of fruits on this - indicating to me that the beer wouldn't age particularly well. This is a good attempt, but theres something missing. At 6% abv, the beer doesn't really hold up.

4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

A: Brown with retaining head and some lacing.

S: Great smell, could pick up on bourbon and coffee-like notes. Complex enough where you can pick up on multiple scents each smell.

T: Tasty beer. This balances the bourbon flavor with vanilla and a hint of mocha/coffee. Impressed so far!

M: Medium-to-full bodied, thicker than your average brown ale.

O: Good, tasty beer. Would definitely try again soon if I can find it on tap again. Tried at Il Gatto during happy hour in Minneapolis. The coffee notes/tastes surprised me and the bourbon (toned down from full bourbon taste unlike other bourbon beer I've had) was pleasant.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

12 oz Brown bottle.

A: Chestnut brown with orange and red highlights. Crystal clear appearance with a one finger head that last through the drink, and medium carbonation.

S: Light brown sugar appears first, followed by a slightly tart sherry likeness. Lastly there is a small malt push with a touch of caramel.

T: Vanilla and bourbon come up very pleasantly in the beginning. The middle of the drink the classic brown character come in. Finishes off with a kiss of wood and spice.

M,O: Wonderfully drinkable bourbon aged beer. I wish there were more beers of this strength put into a barrel. A brewery closer to home has to make a beer of this ilk.

3.1/5  rDev -16.9%

Pourced into a stemless white wine glass

appearance: dark brown with a read hue. About 1 finger of dirty white head.

smell: Bourbon, brown sugar, candy

taste: Too sweet and the bourbon just mixes in poorly, reminds me of chasing a shot of Jim with a Newcastel.

mouthfeel: mild carbonation much to thin to hold up to barrel aging.

overall: Unremarkable in my opinion. As usual though most brown ales just leave me wishing I had bought a stout.

3.3/5  rDev -11.5%

On tap at the University of Chicago Pub, 4 May 2011.

This pours a deep amber with a slightly frothy, cream colored head, leaving just a hint of lace. The nose is weak, though agitation helps a good deal, but there is some caramel malt and a little bit of spicy hops. Where is the bourbon? In the mouth, the caramel malts come out just a little more with a little bit of spice, presumably from hops but perhaps there is some rye here? The hop profile is herbal rather than piny or citrusy, but again, where is the bourbon? The body is medium with a decent finish, but I was expecting so much more from a brown ale, let alone a bourbon barrel brown.

I wouldn't seek this out in the future. It was okay, but there are plenty of other browns worth drinking over this one. If the bourbon had been a bit more prominent, it might have taken a little step forward, but it wasn't.

3.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark brown with a 1 finger off white head

smell: caramel, malts, sweetness,

taste: caramel, sweet, malts, brown sugar, syrup

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: nice flavor and body. enjoyed this brown ale.

Cheers,
The CPJ

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

A: pour is a deep red with a dense 1 finger head, some splotchy lacing, great retention and clarity, seems a little too red for a brown ale

S: roasted malts, mellow bourbon with vanilla and oak both present, bready Malts come in to play as well

T: picking up some hop character up front that I didn't notice on the nose followed by a significant malt profile which features delicate notes of chocolate and caramel. The bourbon comes in at the end and makes for a mellow and vanilla forward finish

Mf: light body, creamy texture

O: well balanced brown ale with nice flavor. The blending provides some of what I love about bourbon aged beers, but everything stays light and drinkable

3.23/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours dark red-brown with a slight head and cola highlights.

Aroma is caramel and toffee with a touch of molasses and soy sauce.

Taste is initially caramel malt and toffee, with a very strong metallic character. Hints of light fruit and a touch of chocolate. Finishes with a vanilla oak quality and only the slightest hint of bourbon.

Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied.

Overall, worth a try. Flavors really seem to change as it warms.

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured a semi clear dark brown with light orange highlights, a thin soapy tan head.

The smell is very mild with hints of brown sugar and light bit of peat.

The flavor is very mild and dominate by the light bourbon and oak flavors with just a hint of sweet bready malts coming through. Almost no bitterness and seems a bit out of balance.

The mouthfeel has a dry oaky character to it.

Overall was very average, the beer itself isn't enough to stand up to the barrel aging and it dominates the flavor to a very large degree.

4.2/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On draught at the Minneapolis Town Hall, Rocky's Revenge Bourbon Brown is a ruddy chestnut with a light tan head that leaves scattered lace.

Smell is on the sweeter side, note sugary, but malty,cocoa-cola, with the barrel notes resonating well. Not overly robust, even as it warmed, although the bourbon came through well.

Taste is loads of barrel flavor, lots of coconut, vanilla, it really plays well with the base brown ale. It's tough to pick up a ton of the base brown, a good, clean American style, not overly sweet, though no hops of note either.

Mouthfeel is semi-dry, medium light bodied.

Drinkability is pretty good, I really like the bourbon barrel treatment on the brown-ale, notable in that both the beer and the barrel are both more restrained then usual, which makes it satisfying without punishing! Yum, I might have to have another.

Rocky's Revenge Bourbon Brown from Tyranena Brewing Company