Who's Your Daddy? Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Porter - Tyranena Brewing Company

Who's Your Daddy? Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial PorterWho's Your Daddy? Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Porter

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Porter |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: DaPeculierDane on 03-23-2006

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison.

Pours an oily black with an inch of mocha tan, rocky head. No lacing to speak of. Nose is a wonderful blend of warm vanilla and bourbon-soaked wood and hazelnut cream. Taste follows with a standard yet mellow vanilla/bourbon oak and warming alcohol with notes of sweet toffee and mocha with a sublime Ferrero Rocher hazelnut finish. Certainly on the sweet side, but not overbearing or cloying. Mouthfeel is smooth and perhaps a little thinnish, but still satisfying - leading to exceptional drinkability. I wish I had a 4-pack instead of this lonely single. A truly delicious impy porter. I can't wait to try some of the other Brewer's Gone Wild Series beers.

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours out black with a light tan head that retains decent and leaves some lacing as well. Smell is outstanding; chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, French roast coffee, and a little molasses. Taste opens with some vanilla that leads right into some chocolate, toffee, and coffee notes. It's not done there though, there is also some oak and bourbon as well as vanilla. Both smell and taste are 6 out of 5, just amazing. Lower carbonation and full bodied makes this an excellent sipper. I could sip on one of these every night, I just wish I had another so I could enjoy this masterpiece again.

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a nice thick head that retains really really well. Lacing is concrete good. The smell is great! Wow, this smells so sweet and nice. Chocolate coffee with some vanilla. The nose reminds me a a great Irish Cream...one that you'd pay $13 for. The taste is slightly bourbon, but not at all overpowering. It actually makes me want to try bourbon. Mouthfeel is smooth and nice. Overall, I could sip on this all night. I wish to have more.

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a definate black with a half finger tan head that melts to rim hugging lacing.
Aromas are vanilla, caramel, lightly alcohol.
Taste is vanilla, caramel, sweet chocolate (very prominately), just a hint of dark candied fruits and then alcohol.
Mouthfeel is unbelievably rich, thick, and creamy...VERY creamy.
Aftertaste of vanilla and milk chocolate with a little alcohol.
Man, this is heaven...absolutely the best desert beer I have ever had.
Thanks so much nflmvp for this wonderful experience.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours jet black with a small beige head receding to a wisp. Great lacing all down the glass.

Sweet sweet vanilla on the nose. Big barrel presence. Vanilla and bourbon with chocolate, marshmellow and good roasty malts. Vanilla is definitely stronger than the light detectable bourbon as far as the barrel though especially as it warms.

Huge flavor to match then surpass the nose. Rich milk chocolate up front. Loads of vanilla again. This is a total vanilla bomb although the roasted malts and cocoa like bitterness restrain it was being sweet. There is noticable bourbon, but it's very well integrated and doesn't overpower the more nuanced flavors. Incredibly balanced and delicious.

Medium to full bodied mouthfeel. Smooth rich and creamy. Low but present carbonation. A light booze presence, but hardly detectable and well blended.

This is hands down one of the best beers I've had in a long time. I wish I would've traded for a 4 pack of this instead of Fifteen. So good.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

A - Pours an oily black with deep ruby highlights. Thin brown head. Actually has legs in the glass like bourbon.

S - Vanilla, bourbon, hint of chocolate and hazelnut. The porter and bourbon aspects blend wonderfully for an excellent aroma.

T - Bourbon, vanilla, oak, hints of caramel and toffee. Slightly sweet but works well with the bourbon flavor dominance. The alcohol is warming but is very well hidden.

M - Creamy, maybe just a tad thin. Not much carbonation which works very well.

D - I love bourbon aged beers and this is one of the best I have tasted. The bourbon aspects might be just a tad too dominant but I am extremely disappointed I was only able to obtain a 4 pack. If this one let just a bit more of the porter characteristics shine through the bourbon it could be straight 5's.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Blessings upon the house of jverdo1 for picking this up & dropping it into my clutching hands at Darkness Day. I've been waiting a long, long time for a new Brewers Gone Wild! beer I haven't had, & I'm jazzed to have this one. 12 oz. stubby twist-top.

Poured into a generic, heavy tulip, this looks like a porter. The beer, not the footman. Black all the way through. The smell, oh, the bloody smell. Vanilla & fresh coffee, with a root-ball of sweet malts lays down a gorgeous track. I smell it for a good fifteen minutes. That is close to perfection.

Who's Your Daddy? makes me weep for the loss of the great Devil Over a Barrel, because I miss that beer like I miss my first black lab. First, this is a gulping beer. For those who've never had the pleasure to consume a gulping barrel-aged brew, well, here's your chance. The relatively low ABV & slightly thinner body of the porter work in its favor. The flavor? Glad you asked. Nothing stands out, the integration is outstanding. Lovely coffee, dried caramel, vanilla, a spoonful of real maple syrup, chocolate. Oh, & the bourbon. The bourbon in this beer is an absolute work of art that should be hanging on the wall; it only sneaks into the very finish, but builds into an almost burn in the back of the throat before subsiding. Oak ends it all.

This. Beer. Rocks. Certainly in the top 10, maybe the top 5 of new beers I've sampled this year. Just a splendidly crafted beer where everything works. More. Please.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle, picked up a 4-pack at Star Liquor for $6.99 i believe

apperance: interesting labels for the new series of big beers from tyranena (which i am extraordinarily excited for)...pours a rich dark brown colour with a glorious fluffy chocolate brown head into my snifter, lacing is pretty nice as well

smell: upon first smell, i knew this was a winner...smooth and sweet chocolate, glorious aroma only produced by the effects of bourbon barrel aging, light vanilla, maple, slight licorice, delicate woodyness, cocoa powder, coffee

taste: delicious! i absolutely love bourbon barrel aged brews and this one knocks the standard tyranena bourbon brown out of the ballpark. the balance is great...sweet milky chocolate, bold licorice flavours, oak woodiness, smooth caramel, hazelnut coffee blend, toffee, defined malt roastiness. A great effort from tyranena! Thank goodness this should be readily available in my area, because it is certainly worthy of re-purchase

mouthfeel: very smooth, great balance, slight cocoa bitterness

drinkability: mmmm, so fucking good, its a joy to drink

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a single into an imperial pint glass.

Poured thick and viscous, little head-- 1-1.5cm-- with fine bubbles. I could tell this was going to be a mouthful. Darker than I was anticipating, but not as dark as some.

Smells like vanilla and bourbon. Bourbon bourbon bourbon. My gosh, did they just empty a few bottles of Maker's Mark in the brew?

Taste follows smell, but more pronounced roasted flavors. Just assloads of bourbon though. This is remarkable. I've never had a beer that tasted this good. Woody, earthy, coffee too. Just spectacular.

Silky in the mouth and while heavy, not "chunky". Excellent.

Well I say bring it on. I have no idea how much booze is in here and I don't care. Just give me more. I could drink this nightly for the rest of my life.

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Pours a thick, fantastic oatmeal colored head. Body is deep dark opaque brown. The head has fallen to a repectable ring around the glass with healthy wisps across the top. Scattered lace reminds me of sips passed.

S: Smells of vanilla, bourbon. Hints of licorice, espresso grounds, boysenberries and bakers chocolate. Aggresive, seductive...what am I in for?

T: Holy bourbon batman. Right up front with vanilla and big alcohol nose. Custard aftertaste dominates, and this is a very good thing. Hints of oak, french pastries and chocolate grenache.

M: Solid body and very silky. Creamy head adds tp smooth texture.

D: This beer is REALLY good. I really enjoyed this beer.

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees
Thanks goes out to Beertracker for this sweet b'day gift!

Pours black with some deep crimson highlights, when backlit. A finger of dark brown foam recedes to a surface ring, rather quickly. The lacing is in thin strands, but is nicely sticky.

Smells phenomenal.
Loads of bourbon and hazelnuts hit me first. Lots of vanilla and some light traces of toasted oak follow. Nice hints of milk chocolates and roasted malts. Caramels, english toffee and brown sugars make brief appearances. Mild hints of dark coffee.

Taste follows the nose quite well. Everything is very smooth and balanced, at this point. The bourbon is still prominent, yet is not really overwhelming. All of the flavors play very well together.

Full-bodied with a mild carbonation level. This helps make it silky smooth, yet it lacks in creaminess, which I think it would surely benefit from.

I've got no idea what the abv is on this one, but it drinks like it's about 4.50%, or something. I'm sure that it's probably more than that and would likely sledgehammer you into unconciousness, if you weren't careful with it. It sure would be a fun ride getting to that point, though!

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

A- Thin tan head on a black body.
S- Sweet coffee, nuts, almost like a very light hint of a dark fruit, alcohol, bourbon comes through and tickles the nose.
T- A blend of bourbon, hints of vanilla, coffee, light chocolate, alcohol warms throat a bit, a nice size bitterness lingers on tip and mid tongue also.
M- Full body with medium/low carbonation.
D- Very nice! I really like this brew and wish I had my own bottle of this.
Thanks luchman for letting me try this one!

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours to a black-aping darkest brown-orange topped with a thin but sticky beige lid.
Full bore chocolate bourbon nasal assault. Enormous vapors of vanilla, hazelnut, toasted oak, caramel nougat and fudge.
Enters the mouth, and proves true all those things that the nose promised. Huge Bourbon-induced vanillins, charred wood, toasted coconuts, and hazelnuts...especially hazelnuts. At this point, every knows what to expect out of a Bourbon barrel aged beer. This sets itself apart with a fat Tootsie Roll maltiness that provides the perfect canvas for the barrel's strokes. There are minor espresso notes late, but this is all about the sweet, and as such, it is perfectly harmonized.
Rotund in the mouth, portly sweet, but never sticky. Carbonation is appropriately low. This is the type of dessert beer that will make you want to skip you meal.

Hopefully this one gets revisited in the BGW series.

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%

Acquired in a trade from grynder33. Let's just say I am glad he sent me two of these gems!

My first "Imperial" porter. Poured black with very little, but tan head. The smell gets you instantly. Chocolate, oak, vanilla, and of course bourbon.

Taste fantastic. Lots of chocolate with a back up coming from the great oak and bourbon presence. Not much in the way of hops, but that is to be expected with the style and the strong malt and oak flavorings.

Mouth feel is perfect. Crisp carbonation, not overtly thick like some imperial stouts.

I would love to open my second one with my Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout and see how they compare side by side.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Next to Bitter Woman,the finest beer ever to come out of Tyranena.The aroma is subtle but distinct chocolate,coffe vanilla, maple, and just the slightest hint of the bourbon. The color is as black as Zorro's cape. If you have let this warm to 58,59 degrees, you will taste all the flavors in the aroma,plus a little licorice, and the bourbon and the cask wood are a little more evident. It is on the swallow when the full but not at all overpowering richness of the bourbon comes through. What a beautiful aftertaste. Four or five times I have heard"I am not a huge fan of Bourbon aged beers,but I would buy this" And that is a 5.0 for mouthfeel. You have to experience the smoothness of this elexiar to believe it. It is the talk of the Wisconsin beer community,and I hope the rest of the country is lucky enough to secure a bottle from the rapidly diminishing supply

4.54/5  rDev +5.6%

2012 vintage, served cellar temp in a Tyranena snifter

A - pours jet black with a thin head that stays for a moment, then disappears

S - Fantastic aroma, heavy on the bourbon - oak, vanilla, a bit of booze - followed by cocoa and a hint of malt.

T - Vanilla, chocolate, malt, maybe a little of dark cherry, followed by coffee, no hint of alcohol.

M - Smooth. Not as thick as I would have liked or expected, but no hint of alcohol whatsoever.

O - What a great offering from Tyranena. The BGW series continues to impress me with each release. Maybe they'll make this one a more frequent release along with Hop Whore and Dirty Old Man

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

On tap at Wonder’s Pub in Madison’s wonderful Atwood neighborhood at a Madison Homebrewers and Tasters Guild meeting.

Holy stinking Mouthfeel Batman! This is so wonderfully silky. It just coats the tongue and mouth. Superbly drinkable, did someone say this was an imperial, and barrel aged none the less…no way.

I am incredibly impressed here. This is the best beer I’ve had from this brewery bar none. I was hesitant at first because generally I find bourbon barrel to mean Jim Beam like sludge. Now, I don’t care for Jim Beam and I really don’t like sludge so usually I don’t like Bourbon Barrel stuff. This is different.

The Bourbon is very subtle and more oaky than Bourbonish. The chocolates are huge and plentiful. This is very clearly a porter. The bourbon comes second.

This was my first try and I was frankly too blown away by the MF, Drinkability, and Chocolate in the nose and taste too notice much else. I will try this one several times more and rereview soon.

Oh, the Appearance…nearly perfect. Dark, thick, beautiful and with a nice cream lacing crown.

A very fine beer.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewing the Who's Your Daddy? Imperial Porter from Tyranena Brewing Company out of Lake Mills, Wisconsin. This is the first time this beer has been brewed since 2006.
Score: 96

October 2012 vintage bottle served in a Surly Darkness snifter and enjoyed on 11/28/12.

Appearance: Pours an ink black color with a finger-plus of beige foamy head that slowly recedes to a thin layer atop the glass. Awesome lacing sticks to the side of the glass like white on rice. 5/5

Smell: Chocolate, marshmallows, and a hint of coffee. Faint caramel and a light hoppiness too. There is not very much bourbon in the nose at all. There's a sweetness in the nose that reminds me of fresh 2011 Darkness in a good way. For whatever reason, the scent of a box of theater candy "malted milk balls" also comes to mind. As it warms, and maybe this is because I am crazy, I also get a faint note of cherry in the aroma as well. More chocolate comes out in the nose as the beer warms up. 4.5/5

Taste: The nose is substantially more nuanced and subtle than the taste. Milk chocolate and fig flavor followed by a wave of bold bourbon and a light vanilla flavor. There's some dark fruit and mild caramel flavor with residual bourbon. Most of the chocolate flavor is up front, but there is definitely some lingering cocoa-like residual in the aftertaste. There is a light alcohol warmth on the palate, but this is hardly boozy at all. Quite smooth, balanced and bold, with a light leaning towards sweet. There is a faint hint of coffee flavor towards back half too. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel: Just shy of full bodied with an incredibly silky and creamy mouthfeel. Low carbonation. Balanced, but slightly sweet from the vanilla and bourbon characters. Very light alcohol warmth on the back of the palate. No booziness whatsoever. 4.5/5

Overall: What more could you ask for in an imperial porter? It's silky smooth, easy drinking and bold in flavor! Prost!

Recommendation: Seek a bottle of this out while you can. Only 120 cases were bottled.

Pairings: Mocha meltaway chocolate truffles.

Cost: $9.99 for a four pack.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Was wandering Woodmans this afternoon looking for something special for tonight. Figured would take a chance on a local.

Black. Black. Black. Dark brown head that fades to a thin layer that lingers.

Smells like a very good coffee mocha.

So smooth. So thick. So silky. Slides down easy.

Amazing smooth transition of flavors, blending coffee and chocolate. The Bourbon barrel gives a very mellow tie to all the flavors, just a hint of the oak and vanilla in the back ground. Leaves an after taste like i had a glass of chocolate milk.

Incredible. I'm going back tomorrow for more.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

12 ounce bottle. This beer pours out nearly black with almost no head. The aroma is caramel, coconut, oak, hazlenuts, and chocolate. It's a fine aroma, but could be slightly stronger. The taste, on the other hand, is huge. Lots of chocolate and caramel. Bourbon comes in with coconut and hazlenut flavors, and really enhances this beer. Just enough roastiness to combat the sweetness. A tad fruity with a grape flavor. Hops are noticable, but not very strong. The mouthfeel is perfect. So smooth with almost no astringency. Alcohol is nowhere to be found. I loved this brew. It's a perfect example of how bourbon barrels can enhance a beer's flavor. I better go seek out more before it is gone.

4.46/5  rDev +3.7%

Holy Crap, Man! This is what a good porter should be!!! Thanks goes out to grynder33 for the sample. That man knows good beers. Pours out to a coffee black color with a short lived head of foam. Lots of lace, and a lower lever of carbonation. Aromas of smokey roasted malts and grain, wood, dark chocolate and earth. Nice. Taste was full bodied and totally embracing; chocolate, coffee, malt, earth, mild woody notes, sour sweetness, with a bourbon backbone that isn't to prevailant. Perfectly done. Bravo. Mouthfeel was good; some more thickness wouldn't hurt, but I guess if we went that route, we'd be at "stoutville". Good drinkability. This is one of the top 5 porters i've ever had. Highly Recommended.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Tyranena snifter.

A - Pours a deep brown/black with a thin tan head. Head doesn't last long and forms a thin ring around the glass that stays until the end.

S - Big bourbon smell, with oak, vanilla and some chocolate. The smell is fantastic.

T - The taste is a nice vanilla and big bourbon flavor. I get oak and some bitter chocolate with roasted malt. Booze is somewhat present but not overwhelming. This is one of my favorite BA Porters.

M - Mouthfeel is medium for a porter, but there is a chewiness to it. Carbonation is low as one would expect from the aging.

O - A delicious and tasty chocolate oatmeal Porter with good amount of bourbon and vanilla. Well done Tyranena; wish this were brewed more than every 5 years or so.

4.44/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a chilled 12oz bottle into a snifter. Pours pitch dark black. Zero head. Smells of chocolate, vanilla and bourbon. Tastes the same. Bourbon is subtle and well hidden. Dark fruits like cherries. One of THE bests porters I have ever drank. Smooth and delicious. Extremely well balanced. I just taste chocolate, vanilla and bourbon. Just love it.

4.43/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle received as an extra from maximum12, one of the best traders and all around awesome BAs.

Bottled 11/2012; poured into snifter. Opaque, black elixir, thin tan rim, scattered lacing.

Wonderful aroma of vanilla, bourbon, light burnt malt.

There's a lot mixed in here: the malt and hops duel over the nice bourbon backing, with a hop, bitterness balanced by the vanilla finish.

Medium body, nicely carbonated, smooth bittered backing.

Really well constructed brew. Can't believe this would be any better fresh.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks to Robbie for this bottle! Poured in to tulip.

A - Black with a 1/4" of light brown head.

S - Roast, bourbon, vanilla, oak and chocolate.

T - Barrel up front with bourbon, oak and sweet vanilla notes coming through. The base beer adds chocolate fudge and hint of coffee. Really good balance of the base beer and the barrel.

S - Medium body. Creamy. Light to moderate carbonation.

Who's Your Daddy? Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Porter from Tyranena Brewing Company