Who's Your Daddy? Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Porter - Tyranena Brewing Company

Who's Your Daddy? Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial PorterWho's Your Daddy? Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Porter

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Porter |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: DaPeculierDane on 03-23-2006)
Alieniloquium

4.09/5  rDev -5.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Black without much of a head. A few solitary islands on the surface. Thin collar.

Smell - Bourbony as hell. Lots of the liquor. Chocolate and some fudginess.

Taste - Still really bourbony. Raw bourbon flavor. Fudgy chocolate. Roasty. Hot finish.

Mouthfeel - Not really thick, as I'd expect from a porter. The slightest bit too thin for the barrel.

Overall - Tasty, but tons of bourbon. Bourbon is the best part, but the beer has just enough to stand up to the barrel.

04-30-2013 02:38:56 | More by Alieniloquium

03-21-2013 23:31:33 | More by oline73
jmarsh123

Indiana

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours jet black with a small beige head receding to a wisp. Great lacing all down the glass.

Sweet sweet vanilla on the nose. Big barrel presence. Vanilla and bourbon with chocolate, marshmellow and good roasty malts. Vanilla is definitely stronger than the light detectable bourbon as far as the barrel though especially as it warms.

Huge flavor to match then surpass the nose. Rich milk chocolate up front. Loads of vanilla again. This is a total vanilla bomb although the roasted malts and cocoa like bitterness restrain it was being sweet. There is noticable bourbon, but it's very well integrated and doesn't overpower the more nuanced flavors. Incredibly balanced and delicious.

Medium to full bodied mouthfeel. Smooth rich and creamy. Low but present carbonation. A light booze presence, but hardly detectable and well blended.

This is hands down one of the best beers I've had in a long time. I wish I would've traded for a 4 pack of this instead of Fifteen. So good.

03-15-2013 16:46:08 | More by jmarsh123
Robyn

South Carolina

03-15-2013 00:27:27 | More by Robyn
wmobley

03-14-2013 19:32:35 | More by wmobley
kojevergas

4.14/5  rDev -4.2%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with stylish appealing orange label and branded pressure cap* served into a taster glass in me gaff in Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Acquired from the very gracious Duff27 in a trade. Expectations are through the roof; a trusted friend told me this was amazing stuff. This is my first beer from Tyranena. "Imperial Porter aged in Bourbon Barrels." No ABV listed.

*Looking at the neck after I opened it, this might have been a screw-top. Whoops.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with Swiss chocolate.

A: Pours a lovely 1.5 finger rich tan colour head of great cream and thickness and very good retention (5+ minutes) for what I assume is a high ABV. Body colour is a dark solid cola-black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Opaque. I love the soft cream of the head. It's quite an appealing appearance all around. I can't wait to try it.

Sm: Vanilla forward - it comes off as actual vanilla bean, not some vanillicin flavour extract added or anything artificial like that. Chocolate. Oak. Bourbon. Caramel. The notes are subtle and evocative; there's a richness here. It's everything I look for in a bourbon barrel aged beer, yet a bit muted. Cream. Balanced and very appealing. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Maybe light spice; anise perhaps? Some lovely buried roast. I don't get any coffee off the aroma per se. Hazelnut when I look for it (suggested on the label). Dark malts. I wish it were a bit stronger; it's a light to mild aroma. But it's near perfect for the style.

T: Wow. Lots of vanilla, but authentic vanilla as if from a bean. I like the vanilla notes here even better than those of Ballast Point's Victory At Sea. Milk chocolate, marshmallow. Rich and perfectly balanced. No alcohol or heat here. Any roast is well buried. I don't get any coffee. Light hazelnut. The oak isn't quite as prominent or toasty as I'd like, but it's there lending a guiding woody tone to the whole beer and giving it a clear focus. Caramel. Cocoa. Maybe a hint of fudge. Light light subtle fig - that's incredibly well done. Dark malts are seamlessly integrated here. It's subtly executed and well put together; maybe it's not as complex as other imperial porters and stouts, but damn is it well done. Bourbon barrel aging is masterfully done here; these guys know what they're doing.

I do get some warmth in the stomach as I drink, but I'd call it pleasant. There's zero alcohol or heat in the flavour profile itself.

Constructively, the sweetness is just a touch too high; this one flirts with dessert beer territory. I'd like to see them tone down the sweetness just a biteen.

Mf: Silky smooth. Wet. Not at all too heavy or burdening on the palate; it's surprisingly light. Feels custom-tailored to the flavour profile. Really impressive. Carbonation is perfect. Soft. It's got a good feel to it that encourages me to come back. Plenty of body too. Wow.

Dr: Insanely drinkable for what I assert is a high ABV. It executes the idea of a bourbon barrel aged imperial porter almost perfectly. I really love this stuff. I'd definitely have it again. Hides its alcohol content very well. A surprisingly solid brew from Tyranena. I'll have to look out for more beers from this brewery; they clearly know what they're doing. I'd buy lots of this for personal consumption if I had the opportunity (and the cash). So glad I got to try this one; I owe it all to Duff27. I'd highly recommend trying this beer. I'll be recommending it to friends. This one gives Victory At Sea a serious run for its money; off memory I'd say this is better. A side by side would be a great idea for a tasting.

A-

03-11-2013 01:33:07 | More by kojevergas
Beerandboards

New Mexico

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

12oz bottle to a large wine glass

A - black, brown on the edges when held to the light. Very small amount of brown sugar colored head. Minimal lacing.

S - vanilla, chocolate, toasty malt, oak, some slight bourbon-y booze.

T - very nice. It tastes like my brain thinks a porter should taste. Milk chocolate, vanilla bourbon, hazelnut, sweet malts. Very very good porter.

M - thin, but not badly so. Low carbonation. Just a little sticky.

O - a great beer. Very well done barrel application. Home run of a porter.

03-10-2013 04:19:40 | More by Beerandboards

01-13-2013 04:02:16 | More by sjstraub
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Big thanks goes out to StayWhatYouAre2 for sending me this one in a recent box! Served from bottle into a COAST Willi. Poured a massively dark brown with a one finger dark tan head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, cream, sugar, milk chocolate, wood, vanilla, and subtle sweet alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, vanilla, wood, milk chocolate, subtle dark chocolate, cream, and very subtle sweet alcohol. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. This brew gave me high hopes going into it as I have thoroughly enjoyed some of these offerings from them in the past. This one did not disappoint. What I found was a really well rounded porter with an added touch of a bourbon barrel that was integrated beautifully. I just wish this one had a little more of a thick mouthfeel to take it to a whole new level. Really well done guys and I can’t wait to try more things form this series in the future!

01-12-2013 20:09:32 | More by thagr81us
spycow

01-12-2013 19:13:36 | More by spycow
Bubba83

01-10-2013 10:11:44 | More by Bubba83
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks to Robbie for this bottle! Poured in to tulip.

A - Black with a 1/4" of light brown head.

S - Roast, bourbon, vanilla, oak and chocolate.

T - Barrel up front with bourbon, oak and sweet vanilla notes coming through. The base beer adds chocolate fudge and hint of coffee. Really good balance of the base beer and the barrel.

S - Medium body. Creamy. Light to moderate carbonation.

01-05-2013 15:36:38 | More by TheSevenDuffs

JimGlonke

12-05-2012 03:42:50 | More by JimGlonke
schomber

12-02-2012 01:26:04 | More by schomber
Who's Your Daddy? Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Porter from Tyranena Brewing Company