Hop Whore - Tyranena Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Beer added by: murrayswine on 09-15-2006

Ratings: 625 | Reviews: 357
4.82/5  rDev +21.4%

Drove to WI just to find this beer. 12 oz bottle, bottled on 07SEP06, poured into a pint glass

A—pours clear copper orange with a 1 inch tan fluffy head that lasts several minutes before collapsing into a cloud like blob, lacing is thick and abundant. A beautiful beer.

S—Hops a plenty. Pine citrus, floral, perfume aromas all mixed together and very strong. Just a hint of sweetness lingers

T—Wonderful. A hop head’s dream, Pine, citrus and floral flavors are dominate with a hint of sweetness, just like the smell. Excellent

M—sharp and maybe a bit raw, medium bodied, perfect carbonation

D—Great. I wish I would have bought more 4 packs of this. I need to make a return trip to WI for sure.

4.78/5  rDev +20.4%

Appearance - Cloudy. Medium reddish-brown. Thin, quickly dissipating off-white head.

Smell - Hops prominent. Faint barleywine-like maltiness present.

Taste - Barleywine-like malt flavor quickly cut by strong hoppy bitterness. Difficult to describe, but tasty to drink.

Mouthfeel - Full.

Drinkability - Very interesting beer and style. Repays the thought one puts into drinking.

4.77/5  rDev +20.2%

A big thank you to Nlmartin for this one!

Pour is autumn leaves ablaze in crimson fire. Ok yeah, that was bit much but the orange body is something to lust after in terms of IPA speak.

Initially the nose was dominated by pine and grapefruit but as it warms the malt takes center stage.

Taste is gooey sticky cloying hops. Pine and grapefruit elbow their way forward with caramel and hints of toffee bringing up the rear. Finish is extremely bitter and lemony, like lemon zest. To be 100 percent honest this is one fine beer, much akin to something we on the west coast would be accustomed to.

Mouth is wonderful, absolutely full and rich. Decadent would be the term to sum this up.

I could reach for this almost every time I wanted a double IPA. It's really that good.

4.74/5  rDev +19.4%

Look: Deep copper and brilliantly clear; rays of sunset orange bounce around when held up to the light.

Smell: Fragrant, floral, perfume just as described on the label. Hints of melon and caramelized sugars.

Taste: Jarred, sticky, sweet papaya and fresh pine highlight this one. A nice resinous bite follows through to leave a clean finish. The floral aromas linger, enticing you towards another sip. This is a special beer. Must buy more.

4.7/5  rDev +18.4%

Picked up a 4-pack at Riley's here in Madison. Excited for the next in the Brewer's Gone Wild Series.

Pour: a beautiful auburn-copper with active carbonation streams feading a creamy tan head with thick, soapy lacing. A great looking beer.

Nose: Wow, a real Dreadnaught clone here. Intense grapefruit and dripping resinous pine hops, golden syrup, apricot nectar and caramel malts. Mmm Mmmmm, bitch.

Taste: Woo-iee. A lady of the hops indeed. This is what the Bitter Woman From Hell wishes it was. Much more complexity in both hops and malt profiles. Dripping grapefruit, resinous pine, herbal bitterness, apricot nectar, citrus peel, and sweet vanilla/caramel malts. Hint of booze in the finish.

Feel: light syrup, tickling carbonation. Smooth body.

Drinkability/Overall: There really are some valid comparisons with Dreadnaught in here (which I have had a few bombers of this months and on-tap at the Great Taste). This stuff has loads of complexity and less noticeable booze than the D'naught and at $7 a 4-pack compared to $11 a bomber makes me want to load up on this before it disappears.

4.7/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

im new to reviewing, but ima give it a shot

Hop Whore poured from bottle into an Founders Imperial pint glass. Pours a nice looking copper with a small head. Hops, hops and more hops in the nose, along with some citrus notes as well. The taste is all hops up front. Bitter, but not overly bitter. Finishes really nicely. Easy to drink and enjoyable as well. I really enjoy this beer.

4.7/5  rDev +18.4%

Served a little too cold with a huge, cream-colored, thick, foamy,frothy, billowy head and loads of lace. Color is a clear deep copper amber. Aroma is mild for me, but my snooter doesn't work so well. What I could whiff was hop and malt. Flavor's like nose but with giant hop that has enough malt to compliment and excellent carbonic tang. Even though it's too cold body/carboantion are perfect. Finish is like flavor, taperes slow and is so drinkable.

4.67/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours a rich amber/orange color with about a half inch of head. Great nose, full of hops. Looking forward to this beer. Tastes just like it smells, very hoppy throughout. Good lasting flavor that lasts a long time. Medium body feel. Very drinkable beer. I really enjoyed this one. Wish it was a little cheaper, but I'll definitely be buying it again regardless.

4.62/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A - Amber/copper colored with a nice white head and sticky lacing. Good amount of carbonation bubbles floating up.

S - Fresh hops, pine, tangerine, caramel, strong malts. Beautiful! I wish I could find this smell in a candle, I'd burn it all day!

T - Fresh citrus (grapefruit/tangerine mix) up front with delicious malts. Definitely taste the fresh hops, but they're not overbearing as most Imperial IPA's tend to be. Definitely taste the caramel in the background. Slightly sweet/slightly bitter taste that lingers long after you've taken a drink. Amazing!

M - A heavier medium body with an excellent balance of carbonation. A dry finish, but what a great aftertaste!

O - Excellent drinkability. I'd have to say that this is my favorite Imperial IPA by far. Probably my favorite IPA overall. Perhaps one day Tyranena will make this year round, as it is superior to their Bitter Woman and Scury IPA's. Another winner for the Tyranena Brewers Gone Wild series!

4.6/5  rDev +15.9%

Arrived in an awesome package I recently received from aasher. Al - huge THANK YOU for knocking this one off my wants.

Pours a brilliantly clear, medium-orange color. A tight, off-white head formed on top, perhaps a finger and a half thick. The foam settled down quickly but left some lacing along the sides.

Huge hops in the nose. Picking up a lot of fruit. Cantaloupe hit me first followed quickly by nectarine. Certainly appears to be a fair amount of alcohol in here, too though it's not in any way unpleasant. There's a persistent sweetness, almost honey-like but I think that's the fruity hops continuously asserting their dominance.

Floral and fruity hops collide on the palate but this is one hell of a crash. A peach-like fruity hop character is powerfully pungent and the high levels of bitterness grab a hold of the tongue and linger long into the dry finish. Maltiness seems mostly neutral though there are some caramel undertones that won't go unnoticed.

Surprisingly well-bodied for an IPA or at the least, quite a lot more body than I would expect. There's a certain oily thickness with is really holding these flavors together. Carbonation is moderate and continues to percolate the aromas into my awaiting palette.

She had me at hello. And while she might be a whore, I'd still dress her up nicely and take her home to meet the family. It looks and smells outrageous and the flavor doesn't disappoint in the least. It's also quaffable as hell and the kind of beer I could spend all night imbibing….at the risk of that unavoidable feeling of regret when I wake up the next morning alone.

4.59/5  rDev +15.6%

Drank this at Stumelagram IX

this brew pours up a translucent copper color with a quickly fading white head. the nose is grapefruit, honey, floral hops, tree sap, some mint leaves. The taste is amazingly enough the same as the delicious aroma. A smooth, very clean beer, full bodied, low carbo. Damn I love the BGW series!

4.59/5  rDev +15.6%

Fresh out of the case from the two I bought last night at Murray's Wine & Spirits. Thanks Chris.

A- In my Duvel tulip, a golden copper color. Not incredibly dark, almost transparent other than the color.

S- Outstanding. The previous references to Dreadnaught are warranted in this regard. This beer smells every bit as good as any DIPA/IIPA I have ever had.

T- Once again, fantastic. The taste of this beer, which I am NOT basing on the cost is absolutely wonderful. Since there's no category for aftertaste, I'll add that this beer has the most long lasting and pleasant aftertaste of any beer I've ever had.

M- This is probably the weakest point of this beer. A strong fruity resinous blast quickly dissipates into a highly carbonated wash across the palate, and then dissapears, leaving however, the great memory referenced above.

D- F***IN A awesome! The most drinkable DIPA in the world, Tyranena e-mailed the ABV at 7.6, which makes this, for me (at 250+ lbs) a truly sessionable DIPA.

The hype is real! This is the best bang for the buck in the DIPA world! Thanks again to Chris at Murray's for turning me on to this one, and holding a case for me.

4.57/5  rDev +15.1%

Properly imperial styled dark amber hazy body. Hosts a solid inch of light tan head with excellent retention. A wall of lace is left as it fades. Nose is very soft but does show a nice balance between sweet syrupy hops and rich malt with a bit of minerals. With first sip the hop presence is initially juicey with a bit of citrus sweetness. With following sips the middle of the palate yeilds more of a piney mineral based bitter feel to the hops. There is a nice but subtle malt balance throughout the palate that helps to make this a very creamy brew. Mouthfeel is on the sweet and creamy side with some attractive bitter feel. Sensationably drinkable.

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- About a 1/" off white head on a kind of clear amber/copper body.
S- Smells just like a big whiff of hop juice. Big grapefruit and pine in the nose along with a hint of sweet caramel body.
T- Very big up front hop flavor that just drys the mouth out. Pine, grapefruit, grass..it's all there. Just a really strong nice fresh hop flavor with caramel peaking around the corner.
M- Huge sticky hops that just stick all over the mouth and leave it very dry. Full body with low carbonation.
D- I love the tons of hops they use for this. Just a great flavor and love the mouthfeel.

4.54/5  rDev +14.4%

Since I am new to reviewing, I wanted to try reviewing two beers at once so I had some kind of control to work against. I happened to have 2 Imperial IPAs on hand, Hop Whore and Dogfish Head 90 Minute. This may be totally wrong, but I comparing them, side by side as I write up the reviews. I did taste them separately.

A- Deep copper/amber, pour from 12 oz bottle into glass mug didn’t form much of a head, but the thin cap persists with some amount of lacing. Although it doesn't describe itself as unfiltered or bottle conditioned, there is sediment in the bottle which remained suspended after the pour for the entire drinking session.

S- Crazy hop nose! Smells so good I am reluctant to drink it. Halfway down the glass it is still nothing but hoppy florals.

T- There has to be a heavy malt load to carry all these hops, but it is quickly overwhelmed in a good way.

M- Big malty at first quickly replaced by hop everywhere! My mouth is a hop cave… and I love it. Dry finish and there is a definite alcohol kick peeking out from under all those hops. The hops really linger in the mouth, a minute or more. I won’t know because I need another drink. Wow.

D- Very enjoyable, but as I feel an Imperial IPA should be, it leaves you ready to move on. If this was the UFC, my mouth just got submitted by the Hop Whore. Even so I will revisit this Imperial IPA whenever I need a good hop-kickin', for as long as it is available.

Paid 7.99 for a 4 pack.

4.54/5  rDev +14.4%

On tap at the Brewpub. Pours a slightly reddish amber and cloudy with two fingers of thick white carbonation that tracks lacing all over the glass. The aroma is hops, hops, and hops. There's tropical hops-- mango and pineapple. There's piney hops. And then there's straightforward California citric hops. Tastes like it smells, with light caramel hops coming in mid-palate to balance things out.

Fresh at the brewpub, this beer is nothing short of spectacular, matching up to the best in the style-- it's every bit as good as Dreadnaught and Hopslam.

4.53/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance - dark orange pour, showing off an impressive malt bill perhaps? Smallish head, attractive sticky lace. Sheets all the way down. Clouds up considerably with that bottom ounce poured in.

Aroma - steady, sweet, roasted caramel malt and flowery citrus with some mild pine.

Taste - biscuity chewy malt followed by a nice truck load of juicy hops. Real good balance. Turns intensely bitter, grapefruit rind on the aftertaste but stays palatable somehow.

Mouthfeel - very smooth. full body, perfect.

Drinkability - a fine brew this one is, big props to jj21 for the hookup.

4.53/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a fairly clear ruby copper with a thin off white head. I found the ruby highlights to be very unique in this beer.

S - Strong pine and grapefruit aroma that fill the entire room. Slight caramel background for balance but the hops dominate in this one.

T - Tastes just like it smells. Tongue numbing bitterness of pine in the beginning followed by intense grapefruit and floral hops. Just enough sweet caramel to attempt to provide balance but then the hops take over again.

M - Nice creamy mouthfeel with a dry finish.

D - Another good beer in the Gone Wild series. I hope to pick some more up before it disappears. I definitely recommend this one for hop lovers.

4.52/5  rDev +13.9%

Caramel color with a goopy head that breaks, sticks, and blotches in irregular ways, finally dissipates to scantily bubbled film.
The smell is a very raw, resinous bittersweet pine smell similar to such visited by many a plastic baggie in the parlance of our times.

The fact that this came off with a blast of hopped bitterness came as a surprise. Yeah, a total shock, never would have guessed it. Anyhow, one thing that stands out is like a secondary, bitter kick that is somewhere in the realm of dandelion juice, that really makes you pucker up. I thought you had to pay extra for that.

Some contemporaries of this hop whore are sometimes a little thin or gaunt seeming. Probably due to a poor diet/lack of protien/meth addiction. This girl seems to eat alright, has it in all the right places. A little junk in the trunk, even. Dig it.

Bottle asks "shall we?" Fuckin' A.

4.52/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours deep orange with crimson highlights into a goblet. Little lacing etches the glass, but there isn't much head at the start and what little there is collapses quickly.

Smell is pine, orange, grapefruit with a sweet malt back of honey, biscuit, and bitterness. First taste is bitterness and then warm alcohol as the pine begins to assert itself. Complex and unfolding, there is a bitterness mid-palate recognizable as the spot English IPAs generally tip my palate, but then the American hops also chime in, deepening the bitterness and expanding the hops into pine and citrus, pulling the palate-slapping around to the back of the throat and up into the roof of my mouth. Undulating, turning bitterness that ends up drying. Wonderful.

Rich, thick mouthfeel without edging into heaviness, drinkable while satisfying me in almost every facet of what I'm looking for.

I don't know how the Tyranena guys do it. This is an amazing bottle of beer, and I have simply loved everything rolling off the "Brewers Gone Wild" series line. This beer, hop whore, is beautiful; it's a huge hoppy double but it is balanced. The flavor and smell linger and unfold as the beer warms, it fills the mouth with incredible flavors and textures. Just an incredible, amazing experience. Too bad I'm unlikely to get to try it on tap, but to dream, to imagine, to hope: Tyranena dreams. Thanks: I'm looking forward to the outcome of your next "gone wild." Tyranena may be becoming my favorite brewery: look out Sun King, 3Floyds, and Founders. These dudes are playing the game at a very high level.

4.52/5  rDev +13.9%

Just got in today. Tasted side by side with Bitter Women From Hell.

Pours a deep orange/amber with a smooth light cotton-like head.

The aroma is sweet and bitter all at once, it has a distinct green hop characteristic that isnt overwhelmingly spiking, but it is a little spicy as well. I actually note that I have begun to heavily salivate.

The first taste is creamy in texture, but just so floral and hop driven, but the malt texture (a slight caramel) just brings it to level. I like BWFH, but it's just too light in the mouthfeel to stack up. This is a bold statement, but watch out Dreadnaught, this is the next big thing in double IPA's

The finish a smooth, and coating.
A MUST TRY for any Hop heads

4.52/5  rDev +13.9%

A huge thank you to deliriumfest for this beer.

Delicious DIPA with a wonderfully full hop flavor. The appearance is a bit lackluster. It's a light amber beer with little head and not much lacing. It looks lightly carbonated. The smell is a tad on the weak side and the sweet caramel malt shows up too strong for the style. I absolutely love the flavor, and I'm not entirely sure why. Objectively, there's a bit of booziness and it's sweeter than I usually like for the style. However, this combination of specific flavors works really well for me. The caramel malt backbone really allows the hops to be fully tasted under their otherwise bitter flavor. The hops are citric, floral and a bit grassy, very nice. The feel is oily with hop resins. I find the beer interesting and drinkable. despite its sweetness and pungent hop flavors.

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Thanks to boolshot for a bottle of this gem. This my kind of DIPA. This beer has a strong hops smell & taste without too much bitterness. It goes down smooth without a hint of an alcohol taste. If I could, I would buy this beer on a regular basis and I am a hophead. Cheers.

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a golden apricot with a finger of creamy head that dies to sheets of lacing. Smells of huge piney, floral and citrus hops. A touch of grapefruit. Taste is of bold mutiple fresh juicy hops with a touch of malt to provide a weak backbone. Medium in the mouth with a nice carbonation tickle. Extremely crisp, refreshing and drinkable. No apparant ABV. A very good brew that is worth seeking out, especially fresh like it is right now.

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Had this Hop Whore on tap at Timothy O'Toole's in downtown Chicago. Served in a 10z tulip glass.

Appearance - Caramel in color. A little light on the carbonation perhaps. About an inch of head which dissipates rather quickly.

Smell - Can definitely smell the piney hops right off the bat, also get a very strong malt scent. Surprising for a DIPA.

Taste - Much like the smell, the piney hops flavor is most prevalent, closely followed by a strong malt backbone. No booziness whatsoever.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth for a DIPA, almost has a buttery texture to it.

Overall - A very well-balanced beer. If malty DIPAs are your style, then this is a must-have.

Hop Whore from Tyranena Brewing Company