Hop Whore - Tyranena Brewing Company

Hop WhoreHop Whore

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: murrayswine on 09-15-2006)
1.78/5  rDev -55.4%

I am rating this beer in comparison to other Imperial IPAs, which I would have to say this is not. I think this beer has more in common with a barleywine style like Lagunita's Brown Shugga, as opposed to an Imperial IPA. The name is misleading; it has almost no hoppyness to it whatsoever.

Being in California, we do not get Tyranena out here, and I ordered it from a company in Illinois. I am used to West Coast styles of IPA such as Stone Enjoy By, Russian River's Pliny the Elder and Firestone's Union/Double Jack. Those beers are more traditional IPA with a strong hoppy flavor, bite, and substance. Those beers pour with an orangish hue and have a impressive and powerful aroma.

Imperial IPAs kick it up a notch and typically pour browner than regular IPA. They keep the hop flavoring, but lose some of the aroma.

Hop Whore is neither of these descriptions. It pours brown, like a barleywine style. It has a sweet and strong molasses odor, and tastes like sorghum and yeast. I don't get any hoppyness from this at all, which really makes me question the name. If this were described as a barleywine, it would be more appropriate, but lacks the oomph to compete with beers on that level. This beer is really a conundrum to me as I don't know how to classify it, but it is a terrible Imperial IPA.

cjnuxoll, Jun 06, 2014
1.83/5  rDev -54.1%

Chilled bottle into a glass. From The Tick!!!

A: Pours a very dark, but ultimately clear, maroon-amber body with a small off-white head. Retention is medium, and the head leaves very nice lace down the sides as it falls.

S: It's not very pungent at all. Kind of a stale citrus aroma and some caramel.

T: Some caramel, but a general sweetness to the palate; it is immediately detected as a distinct sugar element on the tip of the tongue. Hops are decidedly lacking or even absent; I pick up some elements of citrus (mostly grapefruit and orange) with a touch of pine. They are more noticeable in the finish, but they can't even pull into the aftertaste because of the lingering sugars.

M: Medium-plus bodied, but it's unnecessarily sweet for a DIPA. Some DIPAs have a lot of residual sugar (Pliny the Younger), but they integrate it better with the hop flavors. This one doesn't pull that off.

D: It's subpar.

Arbitrator, Dec 20, 2010

Where are the hops that the name implies are present?

lswilma, Sep 06, 2014
2.33/5  rDev -41.6%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams glass. No date. The body was murky, dull amber. The modest khaki head faded slowly.

Smell was whole wheat bread dough. Fruitcake. Where are you hops?

Taste was too balanced for an IIPA. Plenty of maltiness. I hope this is just an old bottle, otherwise they should take the "Hop" part out of the brand name of this one.

Mouthfeel was medium to full. Medium to mild carbonation. I would like to try this again when I know it is fresh.

Cresant, Mar 24, 2009

2.6/5  rDev -34.8%

Ludy, Aug 23, 2014
2.73/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a little bit of head that goes away leaving a lacing with bubbles. The smell is a bit pilsner-ish. Taste is a little funny and pilsner-ish. It has an aftertaste of funky skunk to it. The mouthfeel is lacking a little bit and the overall drinkability is pretty low. I don't know how this brewery keeps in business because the only stuff I tried that wasn't skunked was an IPA that was ok.

Erdinger2003, Jan 04, 2007
2.73/5  rDev -31.6%

Bottle into pint.

Looks really dark. Like burnt orange with amber hues. Head is really off-white, but looks white as flour compared to the dark body on this one. Some spotty lacing.
Smells... Like Graham crackers. Kinda-sweet malts. Floral, some
Citrus, and piney hop notes. Lots more malt than I expected.
The taste has some sweet caramel malt plus a little graham cracker note with lots of hops-- but the hops are more of the bittering variety and not enough of the flavor/aromatic type. Floral hops lead the charge, and amidst the ruinous bitter bite some citrus appears briefly, and some pine lingers.

Body is syrupy and thick. A little more carbonation could go a long way.

Overall.... Meh. I will pass on this one in the future. It isn't balanced very well-- now don't get me wrong, I LOVE a crisp hop bomb... But this beer is too malty to be that, and too bitter to be really flavorful. It isn't entirely unpleasant, but it just has nothing that actually gets me excited to drink it.

AleWatcher, Oct 18, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -31.1%

d5001986, Mar 19, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -31.1%

Hopstout, Nov 27, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -29.8%

From notes on 8/2/2014

Had this last year and wasn't impressed. Decided to give it another chance. Slightly better, but still not great. Little more flavor than I remember. Still not sure why it is so highly rated. --- Nice golden brown color with a foamy white head. Little disappointed that the bottle has a screw top. Not much of a smell at all. All I really taste us a light bitter flavor. Definitely had better, but it isn't bad.

kkleu357, Aug 03, 2014
2.8/5  rDev -29.8%

Reviewed on 1/10/2010. Bottle thanks to Skyview. Pours a cloudy light brown with a small ring of white head. Aroma is mostly all caramel malt and some prunes. Flavor is also dominated by caramel malt with some bitter hops in the finish. Unfortunately this one hasn't held up so well with age in terms of hop profile -- it's hardly hoppy at all. Syrupy mouthfeel. Would like to try this again fresh and I will rerate.

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 23, 2010
2.84/5  rDev -28.8%

Iceholejacobson, Sep 12, 2014
2.88/5  rDev -27.8%

Tyanena's Hop Whore IPA pours a good two fingers of head over a slightly cloudy
amber brew. Carbonation is active and steady, and the nose was pretty much dominated
by grapefruit like hops. The flavor is dominated by those very same hops as well- the citrus
throughout with more herb/grass in the finish. There does seem to be some kind of maltiness
up front but it's almost totally masked by those hops. Mouthfeel seems fairly round, but again,
the hops prove to be a real distraction. I have really grown to like hoppy brews but unfortuanately
this experiment went a few steps too far- there simply wasn't any balance. I would recommend
this only to real hopheads. To be completely honest, the label went a little bit too far as well.
Tyranena makes some really nice brews- but this one just doesn't make it. I literally couldn't
finish it. Perhaps aging will help- so we'll try it again in a year or so.

shadow1961, Nov 06, 2007

Pours a dark amber with a half inch medium tan head. Aroma is pine, and mild scent of yeast bread. I've let this warm for about 30 minutes to get more out of it, and the bread aroma comes forward a bit.

First taste is a hop forward flavor. Bitter sour citrus. Sharp biting astringency. Follows with an underwhelming bready malt flavor, that I wish was more assertive. It would certainly help to balance this beer.

Medium to thin mouthfeel, pretty decent. Dry, puckering finish.

Overall, I won't be buying this beer again anytime soon. A very unbalanced, one dimensional offering from a usually solid brewery. I can't remember the last time Tyranena let me down, but this one did immensely.

I do have 2 of these remaining that I'm going to cellar for a month or so. I'm hoping Hop Whore is a little "green" yet, and that a short maturation period will do her some good.

dancinwillie, Sep 23, 2008

teamwiggum, Jan 10, 2013

BGsWo22, Mar 02, 2013

smartassboiler, Jul 25, 2014

spoonhawk, Nov 23, 2011

wiscokid920, Sep 05, 2014

jenray, Dec 12, 2011

PickwickHopz, Mar 18, 2014
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Hazy dark orange with a two-finger head which looks nice, but the smell is overwhelmingly resinous from the get-go. I find the beer very unbalanced--so bitter I kind of frown while I'm drinking it--and too syrupy, needs more carbonation to break the heavy hops up. We may have gotten a bad batch but I'm thinking it would be too bitter for my taste anyway.

lstokes, Apr 07, 2013