Hop Whore - Tyranena Brewing Company

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Beer added by: murrayswine on 09-15-2006

1.8/5  rDev -55.1%

I am rating this beer in comparison to other Imperial IPAs, which I would have to say this is not. I think this beer has more in common with a barleywine style like Lagunita's Brown Shugga, as opposed to an Imperial IPA. The name is misleading; it has almost no hoppyness to it whatsoever.

Being in California, we do not get Tyranena out here, and I ordered it from a company in Illinois. I am used to West Coast styles of IPA such as Stone Enjoy By, Russian River's Pliny the Elder and Firestone's Union/Double Jack. Those beers are more traditional IPA with a strong hoppy flavor, bite, and substance. Those beers pour with an orangish hue and have a impressive and powerful aroma.

Imperial IPAs kick it up a notch and typically pour browner than regular IPA. They keep the hop flavoring, but lose some of the aroma.

Hop Whore is neither of these descriptions. It pours brown, like a barleywine style. It has a sweet and strong molasses odor, and tastes like sorghum and yeast. I don't get any hoppyness from this at all, which really makes me question the name. If this were described as a barleywine, it would be more appropriate, but lacks the oomph to compete with beers on that level. This beer is really a conundrum to me as I don't know how to classify it, but it is a terrible Imperial IPA. (1,303 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -53.4%

Chilled bottle into a glass. From The Tick!!!

A: Pours a very dark, but ultimately clear, maroon-amber body with a small off-white head. Retention is medium, and the head leaves very nice lace down the sides as it falls.

S: It's not very pungent at all. Kind of a stale citrus aroma and some caramel.

T: Some caramel, but a general sweetness to the palate; it is immediately detected as a distinct sugar element on the tip of the tongue. Hops are decidedly lacking or even absent; I pick up some elements of citrus (mostly grapefruit and orange) with a touch of pine. They are more noticeable in the finish, but they can't even pull into the aftertaste because of the lingering sugars.

M: Medium-plus bodied, but it's unnecessarily sweet for a DIPA. Some DIPAs have a lot of residual sugar (Pliny the Younger), but they integrate it better with the hop flavors. This one doesn't pull that off.

D: It's subpar. (918 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -41.9%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams glass. No date. The body was murky, dull amber. The modest khaki head faded slowly.

Smell was whole wheat bread dough. Fruitcake. Where are you hops?

Taste was too balanced for an IIPA. Plenty of maltiness. I hope this is just an old bottle, otherwise they should take the "Hop" part out of the brand name of this one.

Mouthfeel was medium to full. Medium to mild carbonation. I would like to try this again when I know it is fresh. (485 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -31.7%

Bottle into pint.

Looks really dark. Like burnt orange with amber hues. Head is really off-white, but looks white as flour compared to the dark body on this one. Some spotty lacing.
Smells... Like Graham crackers. Kinda-sweet malts. Floral, some
Citrus, and piney hop notes. Lots more malt than I expected.
The taste has some sweet caramel malt plus a little graham cracker note with lots of hops-- but the hops are more of the bittering variety and not enough of the flavor/aromatic type. Floral hops lead the charge, and amidst the ruinous bitter bite some citrus appears briefly, and some pine lingers.

Body is syrupy and thick. A little more carbonation could go a long way.

Overall.... Meh. I will pass on this one in the future. It isn't balanced very well-- now don't get me wrong, I LOVE a crisp hop bomb... But this beer is too malty to be that, and too bitter to be really flavorful. It isn't entirely unpleasant, but it just has nothing that actually gets me excited to drink it. (998 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a little bit of head that goes away leaving a lacing with bubbles. The smell is a bit pilsner-ish. Taste is a little funny and pilsner-ish. It has an aftertaste of funky skunk to it. The mouthfeel is lacking a little bit and the overall drinkability is pretty low. I don't know how this brewery keeps in business because the only stuff I tried that wasn't skunked was an IPA that was ok. (393 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -30.2%

From notes on 8/2/2014

Had this last year and wasn't impressed. Decided to give it another chance. Slightly better, but still not great. Little more flavor than I remember. Still not sure why it is so highly rated. --- Nice golden brown color with a foamy white head. Little disappointed that the bottle has a screw top. Not much of a smell at all. All I really taste us a light bitter flavor. Definitely had better, but it isn't bad. (435 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -29.4%

Reviewed on 1/10/2010. Bottle thanks to Skyview. Pours a cloudy light brown with a small ring of white head. Aroma is mostly all caramel malt and some prunes. Flavor is also dominated by caramel malt with some bitter hops in the finish. Unfortunately this one hasn't held up so well with age in terms of hop profile -- it's hardly hoppy at all. Syrupy mouthfeel. Would like to try this again fresh and I will rerate. (416 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -26.9%

Tyanena's Hop Whore IPA pours a good two fingers of head over a slightly cloudy
amber brew. Carbonation is active and steady, and the nose was pretty much dominated
by grapefruit like hops. The flavor is dominated by those very same hops as well- the citrus
throughout with more herb/grass in the finish. There does seem to be some kind of maltiness
up front but it's almost totally masked by those hops. Mouthfeel seems fairly round, but again,
the hops prove to be a real distraction. I have really grown to like hoppy brews but unfortuanately
this experiment went a few steps too far- there simply wasn't any balance. I would recommend
this only to real hopheads. To be completely honest, the label went a little bit too far as well.
Tyranena makes some really nice brews- but this one just doesn't make it. I literally couldn't
finish it. Perhaps aging will help- so we'll try it again in a year or so. (906 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Hazy dark orange with a two-finger head which looks nice, but the smell is overwhelmingly resinous from the get-go. I find the beer very unbalanced--so bitter I kind of frown while I'm drinking it--and too syrupy, needs more carbonation to break the heavy hops up. We may have gotten a bad batch but I'm thinking it would be too bitter for my taste anyway. (356 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours a dark amber with a half inch medium tan head. Aroma is pine, and mild scent of yeast bread. I've let this warm for about 30 minutes to get more out of it, and the bread aroma comes forward a bit.

First taste is a hop forward flavor. Bitter sour citrus. Sharp biting astringency. Follows with an underwhelming bready malt flavor, that I wish was more assertive. It would certainly help to balance this beer.

Medium to thin mouthfeel, pretty decent. Dry, puckering finish.

Overall, I won't be buying this beer again anytime soon. A very unbalanced, one dimensional offering from a usually solid brewery. I can't remember the last time Tyranena let me down, but this one did immensely.

I do have 2 of these remaining that I'm going to cellar for a month or so. I'm hoping Hop Whore is a little "green" yet, and that a short maturation period will do her some good. (875 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -23.7%

A: Pours a crystal clear medium dark orange color with a nice foamy one inch head. Carbonation is generous.

S: Not much here.... It is very reminiscent of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale: a bit of floral notes with a bit of maltiness mixed in. However, the nose is very subdued.

T: Hmmm.... This is the one of the most bitter things (if not THE most bitter) I've ever tasted. Not much in the way of maltiness and the grapefruit notes are super amplified!

M: Because there is not much of a caramel backbone to balance out the hops, the booze is very transparent.

D: I didn't find this one pleasant in the least due to its cloying hoppiness. I'll try it one more time when I score some more from my Midwest connections. (713 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

I poured this one into a perfect pint glass.

A: It was a cloudy amber with no head to speak of surprisingly. all that remains is a thin layer of lace.

S: The smell is a fight between some serious maltiness and some floral hoppiness, with the malt winning out.

T: It is slightly soapy and very malty. May be a bit past it's prime. The malt is very sweet with lots of toffee and caramel notes. The hoppiness is not very bitter, just a bit perfumy.

M: It makes my mouth tingle a little, but just isn't very creamy or full.

D: Meh, One was fine.

This is a beer i plan on trying again when it is fresher. (605 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

12 ounce bottle given as an extra from lordsloth, thanks for giving me the opportunity to try this DIPA, consumed 10/2/08, reviewed from notes, poured into my Duvel tulip glass

A-Mix between a copper and light brown, 3/4 inch off white creamy head that goes away fast, not much retention, very little lacing
S-Orange peel, biscuit, grapefruit, piney hoppiness, sweetness, tangerine, toasted malts, bitterness, and some booze
T-Most IPAs and DIPAs have a hop welcoming the instant you take your first sip but not this one, instead it was sweet fruit, the middle had some toast and chewiness, then the finish finally had some piney hops but they were very weak and did not stand up to the rest of the flavors, got sweeter as it warmed, needs more dryness for some balance, too much malty reliance, has too strong of a fruit character too
M-Sweet, bitter, and fruity mouthfeel, moderate level of carbonation, medium bodied, wish taste did not last so long
D-Could not drink more than a bottle of this and barely got through this one, ABV seems high even though it is not listed, probably in the ten to eleven percent range, not smooth, too sweet, heavy on the stomach

I expected big things from this beer because the other brews in the series are awesome, I was pretty disappointed and really turned away by the overly sweet malt presence, almost traded for more of this before trying it and now I am glad I did not, would not drink again, still worth trying probably (1,467 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a rich hazy amber hue, with a very light tan creamy head of about two fingers. Head really stands up. Half way through the beer, and the head is still a dominate presence.

Aromas of currants, citrus, and honey. Not as aggressive as I would expect for a DIPA, rather tame, even for an American IPA.

First sip is of sweet malt, currants, figs, a honey sweetness. Not quite bracing bitterness lingers on and on. Again a little weak for the style.

Mouthfeel is medium/light with some chewy malts and a not quite puckering bitterness. Ditto.

Very drinkable beer. Despite the alcohol level, very sessionable beer. Not as aggressive as I would expect for the style, a little subdued. A DIPA should really punch you in the face with hops, aroma, flavor and bitterness. This is very subdued in all three. A rather timid attempt. (856 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

Bottle shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks Brad!

The beer is dark amber hued with a thick white head. The aroma offers pine, malt, booze. Aggressive on the palate with prominent pine hops atop a sturdy malt bill. Some bready notes in there as well. Medium to full bodied. Drinks more like a hoppy strong ale than an IPA. Decent, but not what I look for in a beer of this style. (369 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -18.7%

Good IPA. The best from Tyranena Brewers Gone Wild Series....No way.

I was very impressed with the appearance of this beer. Beautiful dark amber color. Exceptional. However, the appearance is a not high on my list for why I love a good beer.

Smell was good. Your run of the mill hops smell. We all know what it smells like and this beer being an Imperial IPA, you would expect a strong hops smell.

As far as the taste, not as complex as many IPAs. The bite of bitterness was present but mostly this beer was only singled layered. Never changed as I progressed through it.

Mouthfeel was the least impressive characteristics. It was VERY thick. I felt like I had cotton mouth while drinking it. At times, it felt like a thick cough syrup.

Would I seek this beer out again? Probably not. But for $1.70 for a single bottle, worth trying. Love the rest of the Brewers Gone Wild line. Just need to wait this one out. (917 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -18.7%

This beer pours a hazy amber color. The head is an half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into a small cap of lacing. The aroma is of pine resin and grapefruit. It is a simple aroma without much to make it intriguing. The taste is abrasively bitter, which I like, with the same boring pine resin and grapefruit as the aroma, which I don't like. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation, and a chewy texture. Overall, this is a decent beer, but there are better DIPAs out there. I can't see myself drinking this beer again. (548 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours a dark golden amber color with a slight head.
Smell is not overly hoppy. In correspondance with the name "Hop Whore" this beer does have a cheap, perfumey, floral scent.
Taste is very flowery as well. This isn't a hop-bomb. It's very balanced and isn't very hoppy.
The mouthfeel comes across more bitter than the hop presence would suggest.
This beer is thin and smooth enough to make it highly sessionable. I could see myself knocking down several of these on a summer evening. Not close to the best DIPA I've had. But not horrible either. (550 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this in a BIF box I believe. Poured into a Russian River tulip. Beer is dark amber and really hazy with a broken thin head of tiny bubbles, some lacing low carbonation.

Aroma is piny and very sweet and malty.

Beer is medium bodied with carbonation late on the palate, overall not a very appealing beer. It's very malty, very heavy, moderately bitter, but no hop flavors. It's heavy but drinkable. I probably won't have this again. (436 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on 7/31/13.

Appearance: Dark caramel and translucent except for the unholy amount of sediment. Poured a one finger off-white head which has quickly dissipated leaving lacing.

Aroma: Dank hops sit below a somewhat sweet and fruity character.

Taste: Starts with a dank hop character (similar to the kind that accompanies an old IPA but with a little more life to it) that evolves into a light earthy flavor that has a bit of orange to it. The bitterness isn't all that harsh here which suits the beers overall flavor well because it balances nicely with the malt. There is a slight candy sweetness on the back end that is an interesting pairing to the nice heat from the moderate 7.5% ABV. It's usually a beers finish and aftertaste that keeps you wanting another sip but in the case of Hop Whore the best part of the flavor is the initial hop dankness.

Mouthfeel: Between medium and full in body with smooth but lively carbonation and average drinkability.

Final Thoughts: Tyranena's Brewers Gone Wild! series is always worth a try and in the case of Hop Whore the results were a bit below my expectations. The general flavor makes me think they were going for something similar to Sculpin or one of the other dank IPAs that are all the rage right now. Unfortunately, it only partially worked out. The first half is great very good and then the finish and aftertaste are like a totally different brew. I'd imagine this would have been great ultra-fresh. Would I drink it again? Sure. (1,495 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -17%

Got my hands on a few of the Brewers Gone Wild series. Figured I'd start with the Hop Whore.

12 ounce bottle, 20 ounce "tulip" shaped pint glass.

A - Nice look. Pours out a golden color that has some orange tint to it. A little less than a finger of off white head. Like the color here. Lacing rings form on the glass.

S - Smell actually has more malt presence than I expected here, with some sweetness and fruits. Some hops on the nose as well.

T - Taste is not quite as in your face hoppy as I expected. The sweetness gets to be a bit much. It's not a bad tasting beer, but for the style needs more.

M - Smooth. Low carbonation.

D - A little out of whack here flavor wise. (680 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -16.5%

First beer I have had from the brewers gone wild series aside from the chipolte porter.

A: It pours a dirty yet vibrant copper color. The head is actually pretty impressive, sticks a round for a little while then gives way.

S: I can get a bitter scent, plus all of the citrus fruits. There is a mild malty sweetness in the nose as well.

T: I had this really fresh, and I could taste a little bit of the hoppy citrus profile, but it was muddled with the bitterness while in the mouth and very shortly there after. As soon as it went down the taste went away instantly.

M/D: Normally, I enjoy a really bitter intense beer. This one had a strange mouthfeel and texture that missed the mark for me. While it was in my mouth it seemed fine, but as soon as it went down it turned really dry. (791 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -16.2%

12oz bottle courtesy of AleWatcher. Thanks Jeff!

A- Deep coppery, almost red color with a finger of dense off- white foam. Head sticks around for awhile. Excellent lacing.

S- Citrus hops and pale malt in the nose. Tangerine, and orange melded with caramel and sugar cookies. Some pine is evident.

T- Orange peel bitterness up front, balanced by a nice malt backbone. Bitterness increases a bit towards the finish, which is semi-sweet. Aftertaste is a lingering mild bitterness.

M- Full bodied, thick and chewy feel. Medium level of carbonation.

O- A middle of the road DIPA. A bit on the malty side for my taste. Everything works well together, but no single aspect stands out. Glad I had the opportunity. (713 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -15.5%

hop whore:
Poured from the bottle into a DFH sniffer.
Hop whore pours a beautiful deep amber and burnt orange. Appears like a BW. A khaki head recedes to leave a thin layer of bubbles over the liquid. Spotty, gossamer-like  lacing is left around the glass. Beautiful and inviting.

The nose is deep and lucious. Greets you with hints of wild onion, floral aroma, and grapefruit rind. You can smell the sticky hop resin as well.

Hop whore is well balanced between the malt body and the hoppiness. I'm pleasantly surprised by the taste as it's not aggressively oniony. As present in the nose the taste is aggressively hop forward with predominant grapefruit. The malt is slightly bready, slightly sweet. The finish is dry and semi-sweet and a bit piney.

Those sticky hop resins coat the finish. Carbonation is par for the style.

I'm pleasantly surprised by this one. If you enjoy DIPA seek this one out while it's fresh. Well done Tyrenena.  (950 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -15.2%

Reviewing the Hop Whore from the Brewers Gone Wild series by Tyranena Brewing Company.
Score: 83

2011 bottle served in a pint glass. Why a pint glass? Because the bar tender at the Old Fashioned -- which I have grown to hate more and more the more often I go there -- got hostile with me when I asked him for a tulip or Duvel glass for my beer. He insisted I take a hurricane glass or pilsner glass instead, claiming they aren't "the kind of bar" that has "elaborate" glassware. For a bar with 150 different beers, that's a pretty pathetic answer (and reality) if you ask me.

Appearance: Pours a half finger of creamy head that settles to a very thin layer and ring around the glass. Pretty transparent amber color. Slightly above average lacing. 3/5

Smell: Sweat and orange citrus upfront. Very earthy, dank hop resin. Hints of pine and apricot. I'm sure there's probably more (especially fresh), but a pint glass does not do justice to IPA aromas! 3/5

Taste: Bitter orange rind. Some grapefruit. A little dirt. Quite earthy and bitter. Very acidic on the mid-palate, and it only gets more acidic as the beer layers. Apricot comes through a few sips in, as does a touch of pine. Bitter caramel malts that tease with a little sweetness between the front and finish. The beer is loaded with hops, though time has clearly subdued some of their kick. Long, lingering finish of bitter citrus hop. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium-high carbonation. Very oily. If this beer was fresher, it would have a lot more zesty zing to the mouthfeel, but it's pretty solid nonetheless. Finish is very dry and bitter. 4/5

Overall: Overall a solid IPA, but nothing special. This one is obviously a hop bomb, but a lot of the citrus zing is lost in favor of heavy, earthy bitterness. I remember this beer being better when I had it fresh in September. I will have to revisit this review and try a fresh batch next season.

Recommendation: I would certainly recommend this one fresh to beer geeks, and it was not bad though a few months old. Probably too hop-forward for the casual beer drinker. This is one of the few Wisconsin-made beers I legitimately enjoy -- probably would have gotten a relatively high B+ rating if fresh.

Pairings: The grass-fed organic hamburger I was eating at the Old Fashioned.

Cost: $3.25 for a 12 oz bottle at the bar, $9.99 for a four pack. (2,365 characters)

Hop Whore from Tyranena Brewing Company