Hop Whore - Tyranena Brewing Company

Hop WhoreHop Whore

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: murrayswine on 09-15-2006)
4.38/5  rDev +9.8%

Acquired via trade purchased at Four Firkins. Recent 2009 release.
Pours an opaque blood orange with a solid finger if cream colored head. Very still froth, bubbles and stuck lacing in spots above the foam.
Aroma is a little difficult to pin down, until the last few ounces. Pretzel roll, musky spruce, fragrant tart white grapefruit juice.

Strong hop nose of dripping pine sap, with just a tad of sweetish citrus underneath. Sourdough malt presence, in a bold way. Bitter and malty. Splash of punguent pink grapefruit, then the bitter pine comes back, big malt notes. Fragrant as hell with hop oil. This one is so damn smooth, for changing gears so frequently. Alcohol very well hidden, finishing long, piney and slightly bitter. Delicious.

RustyDiamond, Oct 07, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

12oz. Hmm....Hop Whore...I'm left with trying to figure out if that's what they are calling the drinker of this beer....

Anyway, poured a deep copper color with a thin, but dense, foamy, off-white head that leaves more lacing than expected. Grapefruit and sweet malt fills the nose with a huge 'perfume' as they call it. It's slightly floral as well, but smells excellent. Juicy grapefruit and orange rind dance on the palate with malty tones that hold up nicely to the hops. Balance is good, but the piny hop bitterness rides out the finish with a little bit of spiciness to boot. Astringency is present, but just enough to beg you for another sip. Feel is creamy, smooth and the hop resins coat the palate nicely. At first it must have been too cold, because the feel wasn't there - seemed kind of thin - but as it warms, it really is nice on the palate. I wonder what the ABV of this is...alcohol is non-existent in taste, but definitely present towards the end of the glass....excellent example of the style.

barnzy78, Oct 01, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks go out to mymrnngjckt for bring a fresh bottle of this back from MN for me.

Pours a crystal clear amber color with a rich and creamy two plus inches of beige head. Keeps a big, chunky lace and leaves a mess on the sides of the glass.

Hops jump from the glass and attack the nostrils with fresh, juicy citrus, grapefruit pith, tropical fruits, and a bit of pine. It's also got a nice malt sweetness with a slightly buttery caramel aroma. Very nice.

Taste doesn't scream hops like the nose did but it's still very tasty. There's a big malt backbone on this one, with lots of caramel and even a toasty, bready quality. I can imagine that as this one ages and the hops fade it becomes too much of a malt bomb. I'm glad I got a fresh bottle because the juicy citrus and tropical fruit flavors from the hops are very nice. Hop bitterness at first seems a little subdued for a DIPA but builds as it warms, with pithy and earthy bitterness in the finish. Lots of hop flavor in this one.

Mouthfeel is very slick and creamy and on the plus side of a medium body. It's quite smooth with appropriate carbonation. Quite clean in the finish, as well.

This is a pretty damn tasty DIPA and I love that it's not just a hop bomb with no malt to speak of. That being said, I can see how this would start to feel a bit lacking in the hop department if it's not fresh. All hoppy beers should be consumed fresh, but this in particular does not seem to me to taste like something that would hold up well. Get your hands on some fresh bottles and don't f around with it!

number1bum, Sep 25, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a nice semi-transparent brownish/orange. Head is tan and clumpy, clinging to my Sam Adams glass.

The hoppy bitterness dominates the initial taste but fades sufficiently to let this citrus hops come through. Perhaps still a little bit too much bitterness in the aftertaste, but the malts are able to peek through well enough to give this one a fairly good semblance of balance. The malts are very nice, slightly sweet but not too sweet. I really like these malts.

Very good beer.

bassmantin, Sep 22, 2009

Amber color with a thick off white head with good retention on an aggressive pour. Note that I had another with a lighter pour and there was almost no head to speak of.

The hop scent is mostly of the citrus variety, light grapefruit and a little orange peel. There is a dash of pine. All of that is backed by a strong presence of caramel malt.

The taste is the same as the smell, but more pronounced in flavor than in the scent. While I typically like my DIPAs to be over the top on the hopiness, this is kept in check with a nice malt backbone and balances it well.

The mouthfeel is creamy and moderate to light in carbonation. This has a heavier body than most DIPAs, but still drinks just fine.

Overall, this was a solid DIPA but for the price there are many more that I'd prefer. In fact, I found their multiple IPA offerings to be more hoppy than this one.

Vonerichs, Sep 21, 2009

Received what I'm told is a fairly fresh bottle from Masterski. Thanks Alex! Consumed on 9/18/2009 and poured into a snifter. The beer appears transparent amber with a one inch frothy beige head. The lacing and retention are both pretty good. This whore looks a bit homely, but she'll do (there's more where that came from).

The nose is of caramel malt with soft orange and grapefruit notes. A little pine lies beneath, but not much. I swirl the whore within an inch of her life and then thrust my nose into the crevice. Some floral perfume notes have become evident. I smell alcohol and it's apparent she's been boozin'...the whore...

I swish the whore's juices around in my mouth for a while as I ponder the flavor. If this were an actual woman's discharge and not a beer, I'd be a bit worried about the bitterness, but it seems okay considering it's an India Pale Ale. She has a moderate level of bitterness with some decent flavor to back her up. Thank god there's not a chunky texture or else I would have to abort this mission. If that were the case, I'd expect full remuneration. She's resiny with some citrus notes and a little caramel sweetness. A little alcohol is noticeable. The bitterness seems to increase in the long finish, as does the alcohol. She's definitely been boozin'...the whore...

She's medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a sticky mouthfeel. She was a good whore and I wouldn't hesitate to try her again.

HopHead84, Sep 19, 2009

12oz stubby bottle poured into a shaker pint glass.

A: Pours a clear and dark copper, color is nice but what is impressive is the head on this beer: two inches thick, bone white, tightly packed and lasts all day long.

S: Intensely fruity, a bouquet of sweet fruits, grapefruit and pine resin but the lions share of the hop aroma are sweeter and mellower, mango and melon being the two strongest features here. Hops are balanced with a sugar cookie like maltiness that brings things together.

T/MF: Juicy, bursts of fruit flavor open but tempered by a relentless malt attack, fighting for ever inch of available space on the tongue to keep some semblance of balance in a beer dripping with hops. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth, no stickiness or tongue ripping dryness, just a solid and easy drinking beer.

D: This beer is disappearing pretty quickly, ABV is barely noticeable. With a wonderful balance struck between heavy hop aroma and flavor, temped with massive doses of malty sweet goodness adds up to one tasty and drinkable DIPA. Good but not as awesome as some of the more one sided hop beasts out in the market today.

bluemoonswoon, Sep 15, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -21.6%

I poured this one into a perfect pint glass.

A: It was a cloudy amber with no head to speak of surprisingly. all that remains is a thin layer of lace.

S: The smell is a fight between some serious maltiness and some floral hoppiness, with the malt winning out.

T: It is slightly soapy and very malty. May be a bit past it's prime. The malt is very sweet with lots of toffee and caramel notes. The hoppiness is not very bitter, just a bit perfumy.

M: It makes my mouth tingle a little, but just isn't very creamy or full.

D: Meh, One was fine.

This is a beer i plan on trying again when it is fresher.

mikey711, Sep 10, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +14.8%

A huge thank you to deliriumfest for this beer.

Delicious DIPA with a wonderfully full hop flavor. The appearance is a bit lackluster. It's a light amber beer with little head and not much lacing. It looks lightly carbonated. The smell is a tad on the weak side and the sweet caramel malt shows up too strong for the style. I absolutely love the flavor, and I'm not entirely sure why. Objectively, there's a bit of booziness and it's sweeter than I usually like for the style. However, this combination of specific flavors works really well for me. The caramel malt backbone really allows the hops to be fully tasted under their otherwise bitter flavor. The hops are citric, floral and a bit grassy, very nice. The feel is oily with hop resins. I find the beer interesting and drinkable. despite its sweetness and pungent hop flavors.

popery, Jul 21, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from bottle to tumbler.

Appearance - Amber brown, your typical ipa, translucent with a nice creamy 1 finer head that has good retention and leaves a nice lacing.

Smell - Smells of a faint bit of citrus hops, grass, earth and malts. The sweeter malt shines through more than the hops, toffee and bready. I am finding it hard to find a good smell here.

Taste - A very earthy taste, nice grass taste and subtle citrus hops, few varieties, i cannot discern which. The bready, sweet malt comes through the most but is chased by a decent amount of bitterness.

Mouthfeel - A bit overcarbonated but still an enjoyable mouthfeel, a bit sweet? tart? in the back of the tongue that is kind of sticky.

Drinkability - Could drink a few of these, not all day or anything but I could down a few before getting sick or full.

Decent offering from Tyranena.

cvaypai, Jul 18, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Purchased From: Riley's (Madison, WI)

Appearance: Pours a darker amber color with a very thin layer of head on top. A fair amount of lacing on the side of my tulip glass which was expected from the sweet smelling caramel malts.

Smell: Not as strong of a hop aroma as I was expecting. I even think the scurvy had a stronger hop aroma than this one. I'm getting an earthy hop aroma with some caramel malt and a dab of toastiness. The caramel malts smell sticky and sweet.

Taste: A sweet toasted caramel malt is right up front. Underneath of the malts come the hops. The hop presence in this is not as strong as it should be for a IIPA, as the smell had suggested. The hop flavor is earthy, initially leading itself to grass, soil, and pine. Following the earthy flavors is a very quick splash of citrus hops which presents a little bit of grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: A medium bodied beer with a fair amount of stickiness to it from the caramel malts. The beer leaves a very pleasant hop oil residue on my teeth and tongue.

Drinkability: I'm glad I picked this one up, but I don't know when it will end up in my crate again. I think the caramel malt backbone was there for an IIPA, but the hop presence just didn't pull it off. I felt like the malts were being thrown in for an IIPA, but the hops were there for an IPA. I would have liked a little more citrus hops in the mix to bring this one up. The sticky and sweet malt threw this beer off for me.

Ek0nomik, Jul 13, 2009

Some shade of brick red that results from the blending of sun-faded terra cotta and a heaping teaspoon of pomegranate juice. Its colour swelters into the light as the dark, deep tone is kindled in a floodlight of warm, bright accenting. The beer looks toasty and tasty. Its head is thin as paper but seems to have outdone itself in the lace department; white strips entomb the glass like a mummy.

I don't think the contents of the bottle quite qualify as 'fresh' anymore and that is likely why its hoppiness is no longer really 'overpowering' as noted on its label. And while I doubt it's as perfumed, assertive or vibrant as it once was, the impression of bitter, acidic, resiny tropical fruit juice continues to live on in time. It seems as though it may be being surpassed, however, by a sweet and toasty malt bill reminiscent of burnt custard.

And those same notes are starting to claim the flavour as well. This chunky, toasty-rich maltiness likens the taste to a sugary pastry soaked in honey-sweet milk. It's delicious, to be sure, but wouldn't be nearly as appealing without the trace of citrus pith that accompanies the pungent herbal hoppiness. With a name like "Hop Whore" I expected the hops to shamelessly throw themselves at me but this seems to be a more malt-heavy DIPA.

That being said, the same hops - undeclared but undoubtedly of obnoxious, pungent American ancestry - linger side by side with the sweetness to procure an aftertaste that is as resiny/herbal as it is sweet/malty. Their presence is never forgotten, the bitterness lingers. I don't care if it is a *double* IPA, I could drink plenty of these. Hey, what is the alcohol percentage on this anyhow? My glass sure is emptying fast...

"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some whore he picked up in town." That's a "deep thought" from SNL's Jack Handy. Why do I mention it? Because Tyranena is a brewery I wish I could have on hand at all times, if only for those evenings when I stay in, cuddled up with a cold six pack and watch TV. Now *that* would be a wild time!

I need to thank MasterSki, my beer sugar daddy for this one!

biegaman, Jun 17, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -1%

I poured this one from a 12oz brown bottle into a shaker pint glass.

A= This ale poured a hazy amber-orange color with a thin 1/4" white head. The head quickly settled to a broken skim and left a fair bit of lace behind.

S= Lots of bready-sweet and caramelly malts in the aroma, as well as the expected hop notes of citrus, tropical fruit, and faint pine.

T= A lot more sweetness than I was expecting and certainly the hoppiness was not dominant in this one. Big malty sweetness lead things off, followed by caramel and toffee. The middle of course turned to hops and threw flavors of grapefruit, pineapple, kiwi, and mango with just enough pine to make the bitterness stand against the sweetness. The finish was drier, but not necessarily dry.

MF= Heavy side of medium bodied, with a bit of a syrupy feel that the carbonation could not overcome.

D= A decent beer here, but ultimately one that I would pass over in favor of other favorite examples of the style. Interesting enough to be worth a try though.

spointon, May 30, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +14%

Poured into a shaped pint, minimal head with thin lacing. Deep orange hued amber color with a tiny bit of visible carbonation. Smells very fruity, mango is evident to me as well as a generous amount of honey. Has a small hint of pine in there somewhere and some weak citrus notes as well. To me this tastes almost exactly like hopslam. Very smooth, honey is prevalent along with apple and fruity hop flavor. There is very little bitterness, but it is there in the aftertaste along with pine and citrus peel. The mouthfeel is pretty good, not overly carbonated and not too syrupy. I have no idea what the ABV is, and there is no hint of alcohol anywhere in this brew. Drinkability is off the charts, this 4pk will be gone soon.

BDLbrewster, May 13, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +1%

Bottle into snifter, a bit below cellar temp and up. Thanks once again to Dev (buckeyesox) for this one!

Pours dark copper, cloudy, with a half-finger off-white head that settles quickly into an island of foam in the center of the glass, surrounded by a soapy layer. Nice clingage around the edge of the glass, fantastic lacing. the island in the center ends up looking really, really cool, with a ring around it making it look like some wicked eye.

Nose is nice - citrusy, lots tropical fruit, an underlying caramel note, almost toffeeish. Maple comes out too. Quite sweet.

Taste is really nice actually. This has really aged well for a DIPA. Wow. Initially sweet, almost barleywinish, notes of toffee, caramel, and maple, toasty, complemented by some citrus and tropical fruits underneath. As the flavor progresses, the hops contributed a sharply bitter bite, that then fades to let the fruity, richly sweet malt notes start to come back to the top. Finish is long, moderate lingering bitterness and sticky sweet citrus notes that don't want to go away. Exhale is rich and toasty. The bitterness is still just a bit sharp, but is one of the few things holding this one down.

Mouthfeel is very lightly carbonated, syrupy, bit viscous.

Drinkability isn't bad, but not outstanding either. A nice, complex beer, but a bit challenging as well. Glad I got to try this one. One of the few DIPA's I've had that carry the malt complexity to actually age fairly well.

JohnQVegas, May 12, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

Big thanks to Buebie for sending this along to me. To be fair to him he told me it had some age
I poured it into a dogfish head snifter and was greeted with a finger worth of off white head that turned to lace. The body was a clear amber colored brew.

Aromas are subdued hops I searched the bottle and could not find a best by date or a brew date so hard to say how old it is. So due to that fact I'll review it but the brewer should put a date on the bottle. The smell is still piney and floral hops but not as big as I would think. The flavor of hops is still here but the malts is way more pronounced, more of a balanced DIPA at this time. It was still hoppy though with a nice dry bitter finish. The body was medium feel in my mouth and good carbonation. A good DIPA at this time I will look for a fresher bottle but I rate it as average in the drinkability.

joepais, Apr 27, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +1%

Bottle received as an 'extra' courtesy of phreak1983 in a recent trade!

Poured this into my brand new tulip glass. First time I've used it! Pours a slightly cloudy amber-orange. Nice ivory head fills up the rest of the glass. Beautiful. Great sticky lacing clings all ove the glass. Smells of some floral, piney hops, but mostly I'm smelling deep breadiness. Sort of a dry mealy scent in there. Interesting.

Mouthfeel is crisp, not overly carbonated. Just right. I wonder if this is an older bottle (as it seems some of the reviews have noticed). Flavor is of muted hops and bitterness is quite low. I really dig this, fresh or not. Great caramel breadiness is present instead. I can catch glimpses of what this was, or used to be. What I'm finding is that, fresh, this beer would be a good rival of PtE. I really want to try this fresh now! Great beer anyways though. Highly recommend.

[Note: 100th brewery].

Onenote81, Apr 26, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Thanks, br3wmeister!

Pours a red-orange color. Fairly small head, but a nice collection of tight bubbles. Good lacing.

The first thing I notice about the aroma is the sweet malt. That's not a bad thing by any means, but I just wasn't expecting to smell anything but juicy, delicious hops, so any time there's noticeable malt in the aroma of a DIPA, it takes me by surprise. It's overpowered, though, by a huge hop aroma. Loads of citrus and pine. Nice.

The malt base kicks things off with the flavor, getting us started on a sweet note. After that, it's all hops. Resinous and grassy hops. Pine forest type stuff here. It has a nice bitter finish, however, the malt backbone puts up a pretty damn good fight, balancing this better than most DIPA's I've tried.

Full body...there's a bit of a syrupy feel. Very nice coating. While I don't know the ABV, I know it's probably at least 8%, and I know they did a fantastic job of masking it.

Gyle41386, Apr 25, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +11%

Another one from mikesgroove and the Fight Club: Project Mayhem BIF.

12 oz bottle, poured into a Boulevard Smokestack Series chalice. Small white head, though a thin film of lace settles to the center of the surface. Delicate lace rings circle the glass. Color is a dark opaque reddish amber.

Smell is a hop-head's delight. Resiny and woody. There is some sweetness. Taste is full on aromatic hops. Flavor is enveloping. Dark wood resin starts off and then finishes with a crisp pine needle. Dried citrus is noted. Very earthy.

Mouthfeel is a solid medium body. Very dry.

Blipped "He's a Whore" by Big Black

bort11, Apr 20, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

This bottle might have a lil age on it.

A - Orange kinda copper in color. Slightly off white orange head that didn't stick around long. Slightly cloudy

S - piney and floral hops. not too big, but that might be because this bottle got lost in the basement beer fridge for a while.

T - Hello hops! More floral and not so much piney. Bitter takes a quick hit to the back of your throat.

M - I think my lips are buzzing a lil bit. Hop after taste hits hard, but doesn't last too long. A little dry in the taste. Has a crisp feel to it.

D - Pretty easy to drink even tho its like being on a wild ride. The abv hasn't caught up with me yet. You don't feel it, but since this is a DIPA it must be there. A good brew and hops experience.

Tolann, Apr 04, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

Tyanks to Masterski for providing this in a recent trade. Good trader

Well my first impression is that I may have received a slightly aged bottle. Nothing bad, but the bottle says Overpowering Perfume... but there was none.

2 fingers of nice off white foamy head forms and stays for quite a while. Big lacing all over the inside of the bottle. An orange/amber beer with a slight haze and no visible carbonation.

Slightly sweet aroma with a touch of fruit and a touch of citrus. Not really floral or perfume like.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I do enjoy somewhat aged DPA's but you can tell they are not fresh.. This has excellent balance. Some nice pine hop bitterness up front and then some deep malt that is balanced. Nice pine afterglow.

Mouth feel is thick and just shy of syrup like.

Very drinkable and a nice DPA. I want to try what I know is a fresh one.

Just saw it... Bottled Sept 08.... Yep, too old. Lost it's MOJO

Reagan1984, Mar 27, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +9%

Pours a crisp copper color with a solid 1+ finger creamy, tan head. Head is nice and dense and leaves solid lacing around the glass. A very nice looking DIPA. There is a nice sweet citrus hop aroma, but nothing too striking. An excellent taste comes from a nice balance upfront between the hops and a sweet underbelly. There is no shortage of hops, but unlike some, there is still some balance to this DIPA. Very crisp in your mouth, from both the hops and some rather serious carbonization. Still a rather nice drinking brew, especially considering its a DIPA. I appreciate Scoobydank hooking me up with this one from the 100% Satisfaction BIF, now I am gonna need to trade for some more.

bhalter8, Mar 26, 2009
2.33/5  rDev -41.6%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams glass. No date. The body was murky, dull amber. The modest khaki head faded slowly.

Smell was whole wheat bread dough. Fruitcake. Where are you hops?

Taste was too balanced for an IIPA. Plenty of maltiness. I hope this is just an old bottle, otherwise they should take the "Hop" part out of the brand name of this one.

Mouthfeel was medium to full. Medium to mild carbonation. I would like to try this again when I know it is fresh.

Cresant, Mar 24, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured with 1/2 finger head that is off white in color and dissipated fairly quickly. Clear brick-red-honey look to it with light carbonation. Leaves a light lacing on the glass.

Smells hoppy, hints of citrus smells.

Strong and apparent bitter hop taste right off the bat, that lingers after the swallow. Piney. Sweet hints of honey.

Mouthfeel is good. Light carbonation. Leaves a light coating in my mouth. Medium bodied.

Pretty easy to drink. Could enjoy several easily.

ThePeskyDingo, Mar 23, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a bottle into an imperial pint.

pours an nice deep honey with an immense soapy three finger head that laces the galss nicely.

Aroma is of floral hops with a nice fruity backing. Malty undertones make their way through, but the hops dominate.

Flavor is fresh grassy hops. Lewisite and floral type flavors. Malt is chewy and sweet with perfect attenuation. Finishes dry and slightly bitter from the hops. Deliscious.

Mouthfeel is medium and slick, chewy from the malt.

this was a kick ass DIPA and is probably past it's prime as far as freshness. I would venture to guess that fresh it may be one of the best.

wheatyweiss, Mar 22, 2009