The Devil Made Me Do It! Coffee Imperial Oatmeal Porter - Tyranena Brewing Company

The Devil Made Me Do It! Coffee Imperial Oatmeal PorterThe Devil Made Me Do It! Coffee Imperial Oatmeal Porter

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Porter |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Winter on 02-10-2007

Coffee beans used are a blend of Costa Rican and Sumatran from Berres Brothers Coffee Roasters in Watertown, Wi.
4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

I had been waiting a long time to try this one. Coffee beers are by far my favorite. So seeing this one pp up, I was all over it. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 01/02/2009.

The pour was very nice. Rich dark brown in color and nearly completely opaque. A huge brown head then rose up over the top of it and took forever to settle down, only actually fading below an inch after five or so minutes and depositing large amounts of side glass lacing.

The aroma was HUGE. Lots of wonderful coffee notes, fresh brewed coffee with that delicate sweetness added in that just made the whole thing really come together wonderfully. Smooth mellow taste here. Coffee right up in your face, but suprisingly not very bitter at all. Smooth notes of sugar mixed in along with hints of light vanilla. Wonderful feel here with deleicate carbonation that avoided the too filling side of it. No hint of the ABV in here at all, in fact it was almost too good, and too easy to drink, this went down way too fast.

Overall a very solid coffee porter, this was a favorite of the night for me for sure, I would not mind having this one again any day!

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Thanks again ThirstyBird. Served in a tulip. Poured two shades shy of black with an off-white head that didn't really linger very long. Nose was decaying coffee grounds - somewhat vegetal. Taste, however, was definitely coffee, as well as a hint of oats. Mouthfeel was medium and lightly effervescent. Alcohol was well-hidden. All and all, a very nice porter; however, I preferred Devil Over a Barrel.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

This beer pours a black color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into a quarter inch cap of foam. The aroma is coffee grounds with hints of roasted malt underneath, but mostly in is very one dimensional. The taste has more malt than the aroma, which is refreshing. There is still a lot of coffee, but the malt really adds some depth. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with a velvety texture, and nice, low carbonation. Overall, this is a nice coffee porter that I will certainly drink again.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

One of many beers sent to me for the secret santa 08 bif from hwwty4. Thanks for yet another great brew Bill.

A dark brown to black body that is completely opaque. Good sized brown head that settles down to a ring and leaves a little bit of lacing.

Smell is great. Coffee beans and some roasted aromas, a touch of chocolate.

This beer is dominated by coffee notes. Up front there is a blast of malty sweetness with notes of chocolate and caramel. This initial sweetness is followed by a solid and strong coffee flavor. Finshes with some more sweetness, most likely oat-enhanced.

Mouthfeel is great. A little thick for a porter, but I dig the smooth, creamy body on this one. In fact, every Tyranena brew seems to have the mouthfeel just right.

A drinkable beer, especially for coffee lovers.

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

A- Pours a thick color. After an aggressive pour you only get a super thin head but before you know it a nice 2 finger tan/brown head emerges from the black under-layer. Big sticky lacing coats the glass.

S- Holy fresh coffee. I mean fresh. Beyond the immense coffee, there is a nice vanilla and chocolate.

T- Starts out with a big chocolate and huge coffee. Next some big caramel comes into play. Almost creme brulee-esque. The finish offers up some bits of vanilla, dark coffee grounds and bakers chocolate.

M- Just a light bit of carbonation peaks its head out. The beer leaves the palette coated with great flavor.

D- I have no clue on the ABV but I'd guess 6-7%. Either way, this is damn good. Will definitely have again.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

It pours a deep, dark black with a smallish head as you might expect from an Oatmeal Porter. There's nothing I like better than giving a freshly poured beer a good whiff after a perfect pour and this one is VERY nice...coffee and cream come to mind, not overpowering, but just right. Perhaps a bit hoppier than what I was expecting, but it's all good!

The taste is what you might expect, a darkly sweet flavor with a very rich coffee undertone. As others have said, the coffee is not the forefront, but certainly is not a backseat passenger. Sweet, malty aftertaste finishes this one off.

The feel in the mouth is very smooth from the oatmeal, a touch of carbonation, but not too much to still be called a porter.

I think what I like best about the beer is the smooth, creamy mouth feel from the oatmeal combined with the rich coffee flavor finished off with a malty sweetness, like you had just one cube in your morning coffee.

Try it while it's abundant, you won't be disappointed!

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Best coffee flavored beer I can say I have had to date. Bought this after unconcernedly browsing the Wisconsin brews.

A:Nice sable/brown coloring with a nice roasty mustache defying head.

S: I smell roasted coffee, malt, oatmeal.

T: Good lord I love coffee and good lord I love beer, this is the perfect mix. The coffee is dominant initially, but fades with a nice oatmeal palate bath. Stay away if you don't like coffee.

M: Medium bodied.

D: My good sir, you say you like coffee and beer? Yes please, very easy drinking coffee beer that is quite sessionable and reasonably priced.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

So I acquired this in a trade and the coffee flavored stouts/porters have been popular w/ me lately and this is my 666th so the Devil Made Me Do It! seemed apropos.

Poured chilled (salivating in ancipation as beads of sweat form on the bottle)
A - A devil of a dark brew -ebony in hue and 3.5 fingers of tightly beaded sandy foam crowning the porter. The top is rocky and the cylinder-like rings of lace are beautiful like petals that cling tightly to the tulip.

S - A rich yet slightly fruity ale scent- the roast note is intense yet not overdone in the nose and sweet malt cushions the coffee's bold aroma but there is an oatmeal scent that is a bit like dark red apples and plum. The subtle vanilla ting in the middle of the rich coffee pulls the elemnts of ale and coffee together.

M - Roasted beans and slightly piney hops embrace the palate w/ a creamy feel of oats guiding the texture. The malt is slightly sweet as the carbonation is moderate. It finishes soft, roasty and slightly malty with sweetness lingering.

T - The silky smoothness of the malt of this porter is enhanced by the oatmeal - a very smooth and mildly roasty flavor w/ a subtle hint of vanilla spice behind the coffee's roasted bean flavors. The dark caramel malt creeps in and envelopes the tasty bean which is a delicious accent to fruitiness of the ale. The coffee has more of a role in the aroma, naturally, but doesn't dissapoint with a nice medium roast flavor and the chocolate malt marries well w/ some depth and a little earthiness to balance the sweet and roasted barley flavors. a nice bonus to the complexity the porter's coffee note is a subtle smokiness from the combination of roasted beans and malts.

D - A fantastic beer - very well brewed(in both senses), substantially packed w/ full porter flavor. A tad less coffee taste than I hoped for overall, but not lacking in drinkability at all. The finish is sweet as expected after 12oz it is noticeable, but a great beer and I would really dig tasty this again! Well worth trading for and I am glad Tyranena brushed the angel off their shoulder and listened to the demon. The Devil Made Me Do it! was a great example of what an excellent combination coffee and porter make.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to Packforever1976 for this one.
Bottle poured into a snifter produced a couple of fingers worth of tan head on t pitch black body

Aroma of Coffee filled my nose, Yup that about it.

The flavor of coffee is very dominant in this one. The oatmeal helps tame the bitterness and ad's some sweetness to it. The mouthfeel is topnotch, nice and thick what I expect in a Porter.

A great drinking porter, I enjoyed it a lot. I would gladly drink it again If I could get it

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

I got a 4-pack of this a block away at the Lake Mills Sentry. Yeah, I'm bragging, as Tyranena is half the reason I moved to this town.

At any rate the review:

A: Black, with a huge medium tan colored head. The head itself drops at a leisurely pace, leaving some intricate lacing around the glass. The oatmeal surely plays a part in the tremendous head. It's a lovely sight, but I usually prefer a darker head. For some reason I associate it with a deep, rich flavor profile. We'll see.

S: Coffee, and a bit of ale fruitness. A lot of coffee. I involuntarily swallow, mouth flooded with saliva, in anticipation.

T: Coffee flavor rushes into my mouth, I seem to taste if before it hits my tongue, but that's impossible, isn't it? Who knows, the devil seems to be at work here. Roasty, with quite a bit of sweetness. Like an after dinner coffee, all that's missing is some doughnuts, or maybe some coffeecake. Little apparent hop bitterness, however, it does seem balanced, so maybe I'm just confusing hop bitterness with coffee bitterness. Either way, pretty darn delicious.

M: Medium to low carbonation, you'll really get the malty flavors here. Smooth and velvety. A little thin on the body, though not enough to complain about.

D: It seems tame enough, ABV-wise. But you never know. The devil is the king of lies and all. But this devil won't steer you wrong. Get some. I've got 1 bottle left, and I'll give it a go in 3-6 months, depending on my patience.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

A: A deep brown/black pour that just kinda sits there.

S: I thought I just walked into a coffee shop with this thing! Good thing I love coffee. There was some sugary sweetness too, but the coffee made it tough to detect.

T: COFFEE! A touch of malt at the very beginning, never got any oatmeal, then coffee. It smells like they used good coffee though. I loved it!

M: Good, I wasn't blown away on how it sat on my tongue but it was nice. I actually thought the coffee would stick around a bit longer

D: I really enjoyed this beer. If anyone likes coffee beers, try this one!

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks to Lordsloth for this one.

Poured a 12oz (twist off) bottle into my New Belgian globe. With just a simple pour, I elicited a huge 3 inch, creamy beige head on top of what appeared to be a jet black liquid. When I held it up to the light, little thin lines of dark mahogany showed through. While no lacing occurred, the beer did produce huge legs when twirled. The aroma is freshly ground coffee, cream, and chocolate. The flavor follows suit with ground coffee being the principal flavor. Sweet chocolate and cream, with roasted malts, and almost what reminds me of coconut. Just as a note, there is no hint of oxidation as with many other twist offs. The mouthfeel is velvety smooth due to the oatmeal. This is according to my taste buds, one of the definitive American porters made. It's really delicious.

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a amber black with a small creamy brown head. Aroma is medium sweet with coffee, sugar and roast. Flavor is big coffee, some sugar, earthy and roasted malt. Nice bitter finish. Medium body, creamy texture. Good beer but I don't get the hype. Perhaps a 2nd taste is in order.

3.48/5  rDev -16.9%

Got as an extra in trade with pitmonkey - many thanks! Poured from a 12oz bottle (no dating info) into a pint glass. This is a one-time brew from early 2007 that was re-released. No date on the bottle but pretty sure this is new batch and not cellared. It was pitch black in color with little carb and slight lacing. It had a small dark brown head that quickly settled into a collar.

The aroma was coffee x3 plus alcohol. I don't like to drink coffee but I do like the aroma so good marks there. But it was a bit much after awhile. Needed something else besides the alcohol aroma to offset it. After drinking a lot of coffee beers this year, I'm starting to get a taste for coffee but still not there so while the taste is good I'm not ready to down a whole one without some effort. Mouthfeel was nice and creamy.

Overall, a pretty good beer and I do recommend especially if you like coffee aroma and/or taste. Heard good things about Tyranena so glad that I got to try one. Look forward to trying some more next time I go to the land of cheese, brats and beer.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Fortunately for me, this beer and most of Tyranena's lineup is easily accessible to me. Like most of the BGW brews, this one did not disappoint. A pure black body with slowly rising layer of mocha head that disappeared quite quickly. Body appears to be semi-thin. The aroma makes this beer! If you had any doubts about the inclusion of coffee in this beer, it is reconfirmed with a vengeance at first whiff. If you are not a fan of coffee, this beer is probably not for you. Deep, dark roasted coffee grounds create a nice touch to the other burnt attributes in this porter. The taste mimics the aroma with coffee being prevalent. Although the deep roasted flavors are plentiful, the body seems a bit thin for such a robust beer. The oats definitely smooth out the mouthfeel but the the heart of the body is a bit lighter than I was expecting. This beer is very good and a must try for coffee beer lovers.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

12oz bottle received from nflmvp as an extra. Thanks, Steve! It's Thanksgiving day and I haven't had my cup of coffee yet, maybe this will do the trick? Bottled 2nd Feb 2007.

A: Poured into my snifter, this beer is tar-black with dark brown highlights. Despite a hard pour, there's only a very thin dark brown head that recedes to a ring very quickly. Swirling it around kicks up a bit of a very nascent head.

S: I won't mind less than gorgeous beers if they all smelt as good as this one does. Wonderful dark roasted coffee, very clean in aroma with a mild burnt aroma. Sniffing towards the edge of the glass reveals some cream, dark chocolate and definitely some oatmeal. Pretty freaking good!

T: On the palate, this is all coffee. Dark roasted with some dark chocolate bitterness. Mild oatmeal flavor but the base beer is good and allows the coffee to shine. Plus, this beer opens up the world of coffee that I'd describe as succulent. Excellent

M: Just a little more carbonated than I'd like but the oatmeal slickness and the dry, bitter coffee finish is awesome. Plus the slight heft in body does add to the brew.

D: This is wonderful stuff, I wish i had more.

** 06 August 2009**
I got to try this again, from the November 2008 release thanks to Faro. The appearance on this batch is a lot better, with excellent retention and some lacework. I've upped the score here, but otherwise, the rest of my thoughts stand.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

First off, I hope there isnt alot of coffee in here, cause I want to sleep tonight.

Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter. Balck in color. 2 finger brownish mocha head. Spotty thin lace, with a nice thin layer of retention.

Aroma is very much coffee dominant. Some chocolate malts with wiffs of peanut butter. A nutty peanut like shell aroma with walmuts as part of the smell. Some earthy hop aroma as well.

Taste and mothfeel is smooth and creamy, with mild un noticeable carbonation. This is what coffee should be every morning. Very much present, but non dominant dark roasted coffee flavors, agains with a mixed nuts flavor. Staying sweet with a smooth balanced lingering of flavors.

Good lord this is to die for! Very fortunate that I can just walk into a store and pick this up. Great brew.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle shared with alexsdad06.

Pours clear dark brown color with a moderater frothy brown head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Heavy toasted dark chocolate and oatmeal aroma. Medium to full body with a thick smooth texture. Heavy chocolate bittersweet flavor with a medium to heavy coffee bittersweet finish of long duration.

This is a standout porter.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Many thanks to iowaherkeye over at RB for hooking me up with this one. Devil over a Barrel is an absolute favorite, so I was looking forward to trying this one. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours dark, dark brown out of the bottle with a small off-white head that dissipates quickly to a ring.

The aroma is big on sweet dark malts and roasted coffee with some chocolate thrown in on top. There are hints of dark fruit and molasses as well.

The taste is fairly sweet up front with some chocolate malts and that smooth oat flavor. But the bitter coffee takes over after the sweetness leaving a lingering bitterness through the finish. Complex and yummy.

The mouthfeel is off-the-charts creamy, like a dessert with good carbonation that coats the mouth in the coffee and malts. Wonderful palate.

This a great porter, if not quite as good as the barrel version. Nonetheless, Tyranena is at the top of their game with the BGW series. Highly recommended.

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

A. Reddish black, absolutely no head. Very inky.

S. Coffee and toffee for sure. Creamy with an "oatmeal with sugar and butter" smell with a touch of cinnamon and sugar.

T. Sweet, smoky, and malty. Coffee and cocoa follow up. Prunes are in the aftertaste with over ripened cherries.

M. Thick to medium in the mouth and no carbonation. It is sort of slick and silky.

D. Very tasty, but definitely a sipper.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Cheers to feloniousmonk for this one!

Pours black with a thumb of mocha colored head. Average head retention & lacing

S: Coffee grounds & coffee

T: Dryness, coffee & chocolate up front. Darker chocolate as this warms, along with semi-charred grain. Finishes roasty with rich mocha & dryness, plus nice roastyness

MF: Fairly creamy, medium bodied with minimal carbonation. just gets richer as this warms

Pretty damn drinkable, not a huge fan of coffee
beers, but when they have the malt depth like this one, they rock! Another great breakfast beer!

A- almost dead head with a thin brown film that built up, and quickly fell to just a thin head again, dead black body all over again.

S- big coffee and chocolate notes all over. strong maltiness. very strong scents especially for such an old beer.

T- the coffee and chocolate malts seem to have mellowed pretty well, has become very smooth and tasty,with a kick of coffee at the finish. very tasty, but not as strong and doesn't have as much of a 'punch' anymore.

M- still thick as hell and low carbonation,

D- pretty good, i would recommend drinking soon but still very tasty.

Pours a solid black with a thin tan head that dissipates immediately. Smells of coffee. In fact that's all I can smell. Tastes of roasted malts, little bit of chocolate, and oh yeah some coffee. Thick creamy body, smooth silky mouthfeel, moderate carbonation, oh yeah and some coffee. Great coffee, er uh I mean beer. I actually enjoyed this brew, but I think I let it sit in the cellar to long, I'd have loved to try this fresher.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

07/08/08- Shared with BA member Talisker.

Presentation- 12oz bottle poured into s Duvel tulip. Did not look for a freshness code on the bottle.

Appearance- Deep brown colored pour with a large inch plus root beer float type head. Dense and whipped cream like. Left behind nice lace chunks and patches.

Smell- Definite coffee nose. Not burnt, but a deep coffee bean nose in which you would smell on a 4 hour old pot of coffee. That's about it...all coffee and all very nice.

Taste- Should have had this beer on it's own rather than having it after a Full Sail Imperial Porter. Seemed a tad watered down, but that was because of the last beer I am assuming. Very nice coffee-espresso flavor. Has some vanilla notes and some dark roasted caramel. Milk chocolate is there, but could use a touch more.

Mouthfeel- Mid range, a touch thin, but maybe not. No real hops to speak of. A bit chalky like a porter should be.

Drinkability- Overall a very good beer which I would love to try again in the future. Coffee lovers will really like this beer.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Into a pint glass, pours a definite pitch black, with a creamy dark an head of a quarter to half inch, not much lacing. The aroma has some shades of classic porter, but is mostly coffee. The taste is a little better rounded, the coffee most apparent but also a palatable core of roasted malt, bitter chocolate, vanilla bean, the oatmeal giving it a smooth body. The mouth is fairly smooth, has some gentle carbonation that leaves the tongue a little bit buzzed through the finish. The taste, the nose, the look, nothing truly remarkable, just quite good, but its an inc readably drinkable beer, one I'd be happy to have a big stash of.

The Devil Made Me Do It! Coffee Imperial Oatmeal Porter from Tyranena Brewing Company