Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter - Tyranena Brewing Company

Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye PorterDirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Porter |  7.90% ABV

Aged in Rye Whiskey barrels.

(Beer added by: Atron67 on 02-10-2008)

DangerDawg, Apr 17, 2012

marine1975, May 17, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks to iasanlee for this one.

I was really stoked to get this in a recent trade. Its one of the few Brewers Gone Wild series beers I haven't been able to try and probably the one I wanted to try the most. Poured a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish Head snifter. This beer pours a oily black velvet with a 2-inch beige cap that leaves soap like lacing down the sides of my snifter. When held to the light mahogany hues show through the edges. Whoa. I stuck my nose in the glass for the first sniff and dang, that's a whole lot of rye whiskey. Whiskey and rye pepper followed closely by rich chocolate cake, cocoa powder, and some black strap molasses. The taste is exactly the same minus the Rye. I know its a blended beer, something like 60% normal 40% barrel aged but its like the 40% came out in the nose and the 60% is the flavor profile. The flavor reminds me of one of those 3 layer super dense chocolate cake that's been wrapped in sweet chocolate icing. It's a desert in a bottle. Really tasty stuff. The mouthfeel is full and creamy but leaves just a slight cocoa powder dryness at the tail of the mouthfeel. I'm a sucker for dry beers. This is a fantastic beer. Wish I had a 4 pack.

hwwty4, Jul 07, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Deep brown, some head that fades sort of quickly.

Smells roasty, full of coffee, oak, malt, vanilla, and rye.

Very flavorful. Roasted flavor, a bit of chocolate, a bit of wood and rye. Some more typical porter burnt tastes are present as well. Not as boozy as I expected.

Smooth body.

Nicely done, but didn't touch Devil Over a Barrel.

Strix, Aug 09, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

TastyIsBeer, Apr 28, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

lonewolfcry, Mar 25, 2013

BYOFB, Oct 07, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +6%

A: For an "American porter", this beer looks quite thick with very very little head. Very little lacing. Dark brown/black body.

S: Very much bourbon front, Coffee, Roasted malt. Some sweetness.

T: Wow. This is awesome. Very long lasting flavor for a porter and quite a bit of sweetness in the back. Bourbon is there, but is much more subtle in the taste than in the nose. Chocolate, vanilla, roated malt, and brown sugar.

M: This feels more like an oatmeal stout but thicker. It's not really "syrupy" but it's chewy. Hard to articulate it, but there is that oatmeal stout consistency. Quite thick beer for the style.

O: What a surprise. This is a great beer, imo. Thank you Beermefitz for throwing this in as an extra.

sukwonee, Jul 15, 2012

HopsHopenstein, Nov 25, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

dsauter, Dec 07, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: Pours out a deep, velvety black and topped with an inch and a half thick, creamy almost nitroginated looking toffee brown head.

S: Dry, dark fruits: woody, slightly sour cherries, splashes of dark chocolate, bourbon, and a dusting of coffee grounds.

T/MF: Rich and toasty, bitter coffee grounds and baker's chocolate, slightly woody like in the nose and touches of bourbon that work in concert with the dry chocolate and coffee flavors. Fruitiness is subdued and comes across as a sort of buttery smoothness that coats the tongue into the finish. Mouthfeel is slick, a bit on the dry side (as I think should already be clear) which provides an interesting balance and makes for an enticing sipper.

D: Not bad, not bad at all. I think I just needed to get away from this beer a little bit to fully appreciate everything it has to offer. Not overpowering in the bourbon department which allows for some exploration into so of the other, deeper, flavors inherent in this beer.

bluemoonswoon, Dec 28, 2009

ithinkimasofa, Nov 15, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Deep and dark, nearly black. Medium tan head without much retention, falling somewhat quickly to a ring. Smell is somewhat subtle but pretty deep. Wood, vanilla, chocolate, light coffee. Nice taste. Big oak flavors. Vanilla and big, rich chocolate that lingers in the aftertaste. Nice spice as well. Underlying flavors of sour fruit. Excellent balance, creamy and lovely. Rich mouthfeel, full and lasting on the tongue. Overall drinkability is good. An interesting brew that I'm glad to have tried.

Thanks to sholland119 for the chance to try this one.

ncvbc, Jul 27, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks to Jay23 for giving me the opportunity to try this beer.

Pours dark with about an inch of light chocolate colored foam.

Very interesting aroma, rye and chocolate right away with hints of cocoa, citrus, roasted and slightly charred malts, and a subtle whiskey overtone. Nicely done. After the beer settles it has a dry chocolate aroma and it reminds me of chocolate corn flakes cereal. There's also some cherries, vanilla, and malted milk.

Taste is very similar to the aroma, chocolate, dry rye, coffee, hints of whiskey, and also some citrus and tangy flavors in the finish.

Seems a tad thin on the palate but still pretty good.

Really tasty porter!

seaoflament, May 13, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a deep brown. In the glass it looks inky black, but when held into the light it's only nearly opaque, with mahagony and ruby light shining through at the extreme edges. A nice 2 finger tan head is produced on the pour, and has excellent retention. It leaves some nice sticky lacing down the sides of the glass.

The nose starts out strong up front with roasted malts. Roasted gives way to sweet, then allowing the earthy and boozy notes of the rye whiskey barrels to come through. Finishes with dark fruits and a bit of toffee/caramel.

Taste is similar to the nose, but I'm just not getting a huge roasted malt character that I was in the nose. It's a lot sweeter, with more subtle whiskey hints. Good, just not spectacular.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with a low carbonation. Drinkability is good.

Of all the Brewers Gone Wild beers, I've had, this might be the best. It's definitely up there, and worth a shot.

Mistofminn, Jan 20, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

jriggins6, Dec 21, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

poured 12oz bottle into Tyranena snifter

A - Deep, dark burnt chocolate brown bordering on obsidian. Frothy 1.5 finger head, impressive in a beer that is barrel aged and about 9 months aged. Collar around the glass with small spots of lacing.

S - A nice roasty light rye, bready smell. Good hints of whiskey and barrel come through. Bakers chocolate, caramel, and vanilla seem to be hidden along with some sweet brown sugar.

T - Wonderful flavor of sweet, dark chocolate and roasted malts. Hints of whiskey and the barrel mix in with a slight rye spiciness. Sweet caramel, and brown sugar. Very nice as it warms and brings the flavor out even more so.

M - Medium bodied, very rich, smooth and mellow. No alcohol burn.

O - This is a great blended barrel aged porter 40% BA mixed back in to the porter. The rye whiskey barrels were a great choice. Ages very nicely.

Ri0, Sep 27, 2012
3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

We had a debate as to when this beer was bottled. We decided to go with FlandersNed dating at 12-09. Thanks Flanders.

Looks like the matrix with foam.

Smells barrely with some choco coffee. Like if Count chocola bit Juan Valdez neck.

Tastes a lot better than I thought. Not a lot of whiskey. The Rick Santorum of Juan Valdez and Count Chocula's affair.

Very good Beer Thanks Flanders.

Murchmac, Apr 03, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A: A dark brown color with no head on a nice even pour. Carbonation was just a thin ring around the edge at the top. Minimal if any glass lacing.

S: Dark roasted malts with chocolate, burnt coffee and a sweet candy smell.

T: The roasted flavors come through first with tastes of burnt coffee, dark chocolate, some woody oak flavors and some toasted malts. The middle yields the sweetness from the whiskey barrels which yielded a very strong vanilla sweet flavor coupled with some sweeter chocolate flavor. I actually found it a bit sweet for my taste. Finish was smooth and creamy with the roasted flavors lingering. I was left with some sort of metallic aftertaste I was not really digging.

M: Creamy and smooth, but a bit thin actually. Slight alcohol burn.

D: Really? I didn't think this was a beer I could ever drink more than one of. The sweetness really wore on me.

Overall I was so eager to try this beer, but left disappointed. I just didn't care for how the whiskey barrels changed the flavor with so much sweetness. I love barrel aged beers, but this one just didn't do it for me.

Kadonny, Sep 08, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

nathanjohnson, Apr 15, 2012

pwoody11, Dec 26, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Insanely creamy and emulsive froth. We have a full finger of head with a retention you rarely see. Thick full curtains of lacing to enjoy! Its got a fullness that just won't quit. Fluffy edges and miniscule bubbles make up the tan cap.

Smells of burnt and acrid grains, cigarette smoke, ashtray remains. Some background noise of ethanol at the very end give it a sharpness only for the last puffs. Hints of dark fruits, cherry specifically.

First flavors are a roasted body, some rankness to it. The aroma made me think of my first experiences with FBS, but this flavor profile... no way. This is more pungent, more wooden. There is a lactose sweetness to the background as well as a bitterness that reminds me of coffee grounds. Spicy bitterness as well. I missed it on the first couple drinks, but after a while I picked up on a sharp dark fruit flavor that blows itself out much like a firecracker on fourth of July. Exciting, but short lived. Finish is all about the acrid nature of charred grains. If you took a corner of burnt toast, dipped it in ethyl alcohol, and let it develop over night you'd find yourself tasting the final verse of this beer.

Feels fantastic. Creamy, full bodied, silky, velvet. Luxurious, rich, sticky. It has the power to maintain its flavors for minutes upon minutes. I'm stuck tasting it all over my tongue, my cheeks, my teeth. What a delightful beer when it comes to physical properties. It has some heat in terms of flavor, but it doesn't feel hot in the least. I couldn't peg it as anything beyond 7 or 8%. The carbonation is very light and present through the first third of each drink. It causes it to tingle and let you know its here, much like an elderly animal. Calm, faithful, and stuck in its ways.

Solid beer. Not amazing flavors, but the aromas and mouth feel are enough to bring this beer into the realm of t-t-t-tasty! I'm happy to have had this beer. Not exact on the style... is it a porter? RIS? I'm leaning towards RIS but can't tell for sure. Reveal is... Brewers Gone Wild Dirty Old Man! Imperial Rye aged in Rye Whiskey eh? Talking about a beer that could use more time in barrels perhaps.

Khazadum, Jul 05, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle into a tulip

A: Pours a dark brown with a really big and thick light brown head that fades to a small layering and leaves some nice lacing on the glass. The head was so thick I couldn't swirl the beer at first until it go to about a 1/4 of an inch tall.

S: The nose is good for a regular porter but this is partially aged in barrels so I expected a bit more. Most bakers chocolate, cocoa, and chocolate milk. There's really no rye at all in this but that doesn't surprise me after 4 years.

T: The taste is very similar to the nose with very little barrel influence but a lot of nice flavors. There are notes of cocoa, vanilla, coffee, hops, and maybe a touch of rye spice in the background.

M: Probably one of the best mouthfeels I've had on a beer. Big, thick, and creamy with beautiful slow rolling carbonation.

O: I wanted to love this one and while it was pretty dang tasty I still think it could be better if it was 100% barrel aged. This is the 2nd time I have said this about a Tyranena beer so hopefully they'll start releasing these as unblended in the future.

GregSVT, Sep 25, 2012