2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter - Tyranena Brewing Company

Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye PorterDirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Porter |  7.90% ABV

Aged in Rye Whiskey barrels.

(Beer added by: Atron67 on 02-10-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 276-300 | 301-325 | 326-350  | next › last »
Ratings: 538 | Reviews: 347 | Show All Ratings:
Maction

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

A:  Looks black until I hold it up to the light, when it shows a very deep garnet with a thin mocha head.

S:  Coffee and sweet nougat with big vanilla, very sweet.

T:  Spicy cola and sweet coffee.  A little bittersweet lemon on the finish.  Not a lot of barrel in the mouth, it's more in the nose.

M:  Just enough carbonation and weight to support the flavors.  Not quite as thick or viscous as I'd expect for an imperial beer.

D:  An easy drinker on a chilly afternoon.  I'm not getting the high alcohol i thought would be here.  I wish it had an ABV on the bottle.

Overall, a nice nose, but flavor and mothfeel was very similar to a couple other high quality Midwest porters: Bell's and Great Lakes.

01-03-2010 20:19:54 | More by Maction
johnkale

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

A - Pours near black with about a finger of dark brown head. Head dissipates pretty quickly leaving a good amount of lacing.

S - A lot of whiskey in the nose, vanilla, caramel, hints of currant and maple.

T - At serving temperature malts shine through i, caramel and bitter chocolate with a smooth vanilla presence. Some hints of berry and raisin. As it warms bourbon notes shine through, tastes from the wood become more apparent.

M - Fills the mouth, almost syrupy without being cloying. A very chewy, dense beer.

This is an awesome big beer. It has similar affects to a heavy quilt and flannel sheets. Unlike other barrel aged beers I never felt the whiskey presence to be overpowering.

01-20-2010 02:19:29 | More by johnkale
Birchgrove77

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

Bottled: 02/04/08, picked up at Three Cellars in May 2008.

Appearance: Pours very dark brown, bordering on black. Carbonation is noticeable, but only mustered about a 1/2 inch chocolate colored head.

Smell: Probably the best smelling beer I've ever consumed. Smelled of gourmet chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, and cocoa.

Taste: Fantastic. Some spicy notes from the rye. A nice cocoa flavor with a very nice bourbon finish. A very slight fig-like quality plays in the background. The finish is more bourbon than rye, and there is a very nice alcohol warming sensation. Definitely surpassed my expectations.

Mouthfeel: Much stiller than I thought it would be, but that seemed to play in the beers favor. Coated the tongue and the warming effect from the alcohol pleased the palate.

Overall: Wish I had a few more laying around as this was a superb offering from Tyranena. Hopefully, this gets rebrewed in the future.

03-07-2009 06:14:36 | More by Birchgrove77
DontCallMeSurly

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

120z bottle poured into my Duvel chalice.

This beer poured out a deep, dark brown/black color. There was very minimal head but what little there was was a muddy brown color. As soon as I poured I got hit in the schnoz with lots of molasses, whiskey, burnt coffee, and dark chocolate notes. I'm salivating like Pavlov's dog right about now! My first sip greets me with an extremely dominant dark chocolate taste, followed up by a sweeter cocoa flavor. I also taste a little bit of black licorice. This doesn't seem as thick as most other porters I've had, but still excellent nonetheless! I'll seek this out and make sure to send a few along in trades as extras!

05-14-2008 04:24:45 | More by DontCallMeSurly
patrick16o

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Same sunflower yellow bottle labels as the rest of the "Brewers Gone Wild" series of beers. Dirty old stick figure man says "Gimme a sponge bath!"

Statement of Composition:
40% Malt Beverage aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels
60% Malt Beverage

Pours a rich black color, hints of deep reds are visible when the beer is thinned out. Rather shallow tan crown

Strong aroma, lots of dark chocolate flavors, cherry, alcohols.

Delicious, rich complex flavor, with similarities to an imperial stout. Roasted malts, a definite rye whiskey character, and dark chocolate flavors. Some alcohol at the end along with a bit of oak barreled aftertaste. Good full body beer. Very tasty.

03-10-2008 03:53:51 | More by patrick16o
plumcrazyfx

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a dark black with just the edges showing brown. Smell has that characteristic porter roast smell with a sweet note that hits you right between the eyes. The rye might be there but it's not obvious - in fact it may just be perfect with this style. I can't pick out the rye from the barrel but it may impart a bit of the roundness to the finish that I get here. It's definately not overpowering or even something I'd notice unless someone pointed it out to me. Definately not to the level of something found in a Black Butte, for example.

The Mouthfeel is where this one shines. Heavier than most porters - it's heavier than most standard stouts I run across. It's a very smooth mouthfeel where the sweet roast coats the tongue. When I started out here on BA, porter was a style I'd drink often. But as I went along I moved to heavier and heavier beers unil only BA Stouts seemed to wow me. This is a great beer without being too heavy. A couple would surely be enough before switching to something lighter but this is a great beer.

Many times I find myself comparing Tyranena to Founders due to some similarities (Backwoods vs. Shaggin', Breakfast vs. Downer and Dirtier, etc.). In most cases Founders ends up ahead - but in this case Tyranena has a definate winner and a porter that kicks butt on most others that I've come across. All of this for a $9 4-pack - they're doing something right.

07-08-2011 20:22:20 | More by plumcrazyfx
CurtisLoew

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

I love this beer. I'm not sure what Tyranena's future plans are, but I hope they include more of this beer.

Pours dark brown/black. Brown head.

Great aroma. Coffee, dark chocolate, nice rye undertones.

Taste is great! Coffee, dark chocolate, malty, rye undertones. Subdues whiskey barrel flavors.

Example of how much I liked this beer: I bought it on a whim because I like rye beers. Went back three days later and bought another 4-pack. Went back a week later and bought three more 4-packs. Awesome stuff.

07-30-2011 05:30:39 | More by CurtisLoew
FreightTrain

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Thanks to Pitmonkey for this!

Pours a very dark red/brown that allows almost no light to penetrate. Tan head dissipates very quickly.

Smell is chocolate, coffee, whisky, and maybe I'm just imagining this, but I could swear that just sniffing it puts a spiciness in the back of my throat.

Very smooth, rich and creamy mouthfeel, light but frothy carbonation. Taste is like milk chocolate spiked with rye, which may not sound appetizing, but it's pretty good. There's plenty of sweetness from the malt, but a strong bite from the booze, which is actually a little numbing on the tongue after a few sips, and rye.

A pretty easy beer to drink--for the category. It's damn smooth but too simple and the flavor doesn't really linger the way you expect it to. Nice but not super memorable.

07-31-2008 04:39:51 | More by FreightTrain
ebit

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance
Opaque black brown with a beautiful thick tan/cream head that's slow to develop but rushes in after the pour. Fun to watch. Drink me!

Aroma
Roasted rye malts, hints of smooth roast coffee and chocolate. A substantial thwack of alcohol to the nose.

Taste
Wow this is a unique porter. A bit hotter on the alcohol than I was expecting due to aging but it works well with the beer and doesn't overpower. The roasted rye character is a unique characteristic of this beer and is very interesting, although it might be a bit much for some. It really cuts through the aftertaste for a new experience. Quite a bit of spice that builds throughout the beer. Some woody profiles towards the end. Not much in the way of hops. I wish the notes of chocolate and coffee had played more prominently into the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel
Minimal carbonation and medium mouthfeel. This is spot on for a porter.

Drinkability/Overall Impression
A little too much rye for me to want to continue drinking this after one. It drinks well enough but the huge flavors of rye and barrel aged alcohol notes beg for a new experience after finishing the glass. The rye malts literally sits on your tonuge until the next sip and are a bit drying. Credit goes where credit's due however and this is a very unique offering from Tyranena that will keep me as a patron of their Brewers Gone Wild series.

05-30-2008 04:02:26 | More by ebit
Macky20

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received as an extra from Oach after he learned how much I love this brewery... Thanks!

Poured into pint glass from bottle. I was somewhat disappointing in the lack of head ...Oh well. Color is a dark coffee brown with no transparency. Consistency looks great for a tasty porter.

Aroma is somewhat faint, I expected a bit more from a Rye, but there are still hints of molasses and whiskey mostly, maybe some honey in there.

As for the taste, I immediately notice licorice, coffee.. with a little bit of tartness on the tongue. You do taste a bit of coffee and sweet malt in this as well. As always, I love the smooth whiskey hint at the end of these aged beers.

Mouthfeel is just ok for a porter. It poured a bit then, and feels this way in the mouth as well. For my preference, it lacks some carbonation.

Drinkability is always hard for me to judge. There is a very suttle alcohol taste on the back of the tongue which doesn't put me off at all, but I wouldn't drink more than one. Not a bad porter overall, but I've certainly had better... especially barrel aged. I am glad I got to try it.

09-04-2010 02:13:51 | More by Macky20
bugaboo416

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a 2nd Shift tasting glass.

A: Black as night. Light head that disappeared when I turned around.

S: Whisky , coffee/roasted malt

T: roasted malt, hint of coffee, boozy, cocoa nibs at the end, slightly dry

M: medium body but still light, smooth and silky

O: This is an excellent example of a porter but the booziness needs to be hidden a bit more because it was evident throughout the taste. Otherwise, it has everything I expect in a porter: light of body and roasted malt, with some additional complexity of flavor to it. I wish my palate could actually taste the rye aside from the slight dryness at the end.

08-22-2011 12:08:22 | More by bugaboo416
black13

Oregon

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Thanks Brian23456 for this tasty brew.

Poured an almost motor oil black into my Dogfish Head signature glass.
A one finger mocha colored head formed, but quickly faded.

The first aroma to shine through is the whisky, which is very pleasant. After that smell subsided, coffee, chocolate, and a roasted maltiness are present. All these together fortell a good beer is about to be consumed.

All the aromas noted above come through nicely in this one. I really enjoyed the whisky flavor but could have used less coffee. Fortunately as it warms up the coffee flavors mellow out, or the whisky gets stronger.

Good mouthfeel but it could be a little thicker. Had more of a stout feel than a porter.

This was a very drinkable beer that was enjoyed from start to finish. Would enjoy another one of these in a few months, but enjoyed getting at least this one.

06-16-2011 20:32:38 | More by black13
Atch

3.9/5  rDev -6%

Tyranena bottled 2/4/08

Appearance: Dirty oil black,minimal head,slight lacing.

Smell: Awesome smoky malt scent. Choccolaty.

Taste: Nice and rich, complex. Just a hint of a sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, somewhat chewy. Lightly carbonated.

Drinkability: Very easy drinking beer. This is my first Baltic style Porter, so I don't have much to compare it to. I'm sure the ABV is high, but the alcohol is hidden well.
Tyranena rarely dissapoints in my opinion.

02-25-2008 21:52:45 | More by Atch
zook74

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Fantastic brew!

I'm not much of a porter drinker, so take this all with a grain ;-)

Nice, dark & rich color as to be expected.

The smell is wonderful. My favorite part of this brew. Malty, bourbon-chocolate. Very nice. Very pleasant.

The taste is very nicely rounded if not particularly expectional, but everything blends nicely; the malt, chocolate & coffee notes countered with that pleasant bourbon.

Overall a very nice brew. I'm thouroughlyl enjoying it as is the wifey who first turned her nose up at it...

04-12-2008 03:34:30 | More by zook74
PTMcB

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

A - Black oil like poor with a chocolate tinted head. Very light head.

S - The smell is excellent and of chocolate.

T - Chocolate malty rye heaven! You can most certainly get the hint of whisky! Outstanding!

M - Smooth and creamy!

D - Surprisingly good for an American Porter. I think I could take on two of these in a row if I could get these anytime. But this is a beer soon to be extinct. I am proud to have had this special and unique drink. Thanks Duff!

11-14-2010 03:39:44 | More by PTMcB
schultzi22

Indiana

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Tasted out of a snifter on 7/22/11.

A: Dark black with a head that quickly dissipates.
N: Strong chocolate hits the nose first, quickly followed by coffee notes. I don't get much whiskey on the nose.
T: The taste follows the nose, but the roasted coffee bitterness stands out more against the chocolate. As a part-time rye whiskey drinker, I was hoping to find more spice in this beer, but it is only barely noticeable in the finish.
M: The mouthfeel is in line with what I was expecting from an imperial porter. Nice carbonation that borders on an excess, but doesn't hurt the beer.
O: This is an outstanding imperial porter, but I am disappointed in the lack of whiskey. I will definitely get another pack of these to share and taste again.

10-04-2011 00:41:01 | More by schultzi22
stooge

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- very dark brown in color with a head that quickly dissipates leaving very little bubbles and a thin burnt orange ring on the edge of the glass. Laces nicely.

S- cocoa, dark fruit, vanilla, and rye in that order

T- Figs and raisins on the front end, along with boozy oak characteristics, followed by vanilla accents finishing with a mellow cocoa flavor that lingers pleasantly on the back end. Nicely balanced, and not too boozy.

M- Medium body with low carbonation and creamy texture

O- I expected a fuller body and more complex rye flavor, but this is quite enjoyable. Very nice blend of cocoa, vanilla, and dark fruit flavors. I would have preferred a more prominent rye flavor and perhaps more carbonation. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed this brew and would buy it again.

05-16-2013 04:41:20 | More by stooge
ChuggyMcBeer

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: A pillowy and frothy two-finger mocha head that slowly dissipated, clinging to the walls of the glass as it receded. The body is a dark, but semi-translucent, brown with hints of ruby when held to the light.

S: A decent amount of vanilla in the nose, along with a toasted rye note and a slight nuttiness. Not getting any booziness from the barrel.

T: The rye overpowers everything else that is going on in this beer. The vanilla sweetness of the barrel pokes its head through, but is quickly repressed by the rye. The barrel does not assert itself enough to keep this one in balance.

M: Sticky yet light

D: Pretty drinkable for something that spent time in a barrel.

11-17-2009 02:12:01 | More by ChuggyMcBeer
Alacy

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a snifter

A- very dark black, almost no carbonation, no lacing

S- sweet caramel, vanilla, whiskey

T- nice amount of sweetness, roasted malt, caramel, vanilla, whiskey

M- a little thin, almost no carbonation

O- really enjoyed this one, pleasant amount of booze, nice sweetness, glad I have a couple of these.

08-26-2011 03:28:24 | More by Alacy
dustine

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Brownish-black with a little bit of a dark tan head. Pretty cool looking lacing that sticks for quite a while but doesn't follow you down the glass. Stouty.

S: Dark chocolate with a hint of coffee and the graininess from the rye.

T: Pleasant whiskey alcohol taste. More of that dark chocolate about halfway with an intense sweetness towards the end. Like eating chocolate chips straight from the bag. Satisfyingly bitter from the I-don't-know-what hops while I think the carbonation might also add to this; very sharp. As it warms, plum fruit becomes more apparent as it overtakes the chocolate.

M: Pretty well carbonated for a porter but a possible distraction from the other complexities here. The alcohol burn from the whiskey is super welcome as I've always been a fan of barrel-aged beers that really include the liquor feel. The taste lingers in your mouth for quite a while.

D: I would definitely drink several more of these in a sitting, but that's just the little chocolate-addicted alcoholic baby in me. The richness of the taste and the alcohol hint however might scare other pussies away into switching beers immediately.

06-03-2010 00:50:48 | More by dustine
FishAndBeer

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Bought from local liquor store...

Appearance- Dark chocolate pour with a half finger thick mocha colored head.

Smell- Vanilla, roasted malts, chocolate with a hint of rye

Taste- little heat from the rye, followed by a sweet chocolate malt flavor.. there was almost a brown sugar taste thought.

Mouth feel- not as heavy as expected it is very smooth and goes down perfect for the next sip.

Overall- Im very impressed with this beer.. it was delicious for a cool fall day. I am definitely going to buy this again and I would suggest it to anyone!

11-08-2011 23:27:45 | More by FishAndBeer
MNHazmat

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

My first review so please be kind...

A gentle pour into a goblet produced very little head. What head there was gripped the sides well leaving a nice ring after each sip. Despite the lack of head it is well carbonated with a very fine bubble.

Dark, very dark. Absolutely NO light transmission though the glass even when using a bright LED flashlight and an aiming laser!

Dark grains, well roasted and plenty of alchohol on the tongue. Bourbon hits the back of my throat but fades quickly under pressure from the dark grains and chocolate.

A first rate brew that I'll be sharing with friends, and an excellent value for the price. I'll be buying out the supply at my local shop.

10-28-2008 05:00:44 | More by MNHazmat