Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter - Tyranena Brewing Company

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Porter |  7.90% ABV

Beer added by: Atron67 on 02-10-2008

Aged in Rye Whiskey barrels.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 564 | Reviews: 351

Enjoyed in a mug

A: pours a coffee black color with a thin finger of medium tan colored head that is very fine and lingers nicely, pours completely thick and non translucent
S: coffee beans and a thin bit of whiskey scent that hits in right at the end
T: black coffee malts, toffee, molasses, finishes with a slight woddy taste
M: thick thick thick, gentle carbonation tingle, smooth all the way through just so thick, slight burn right at the end
O: a nice porter, lacking a bit on the taste aspect, not as complex as i like to see, drinks nice, extremely thick which i find enjoyable, not bad

3.53/5  rDev -14.5%

Had this on tap a couple of times, this is my first time from a bottle.

A: This beer look pretty fabulous. Poured into a pint glass and the head was quick to billow up with good retention. The body is nearly completely opaque with the exception of some highlights on the top and bottom of the glass. Lacing intact.

S: There is elements of the barrel aging, but they are not real strong. I'm guessing it's because of the beer composition: 40% malt beverage aged in rye whiskey barrels 60% malt beverage. This lends to a graceful bourbon nose, not intense like some of the stouts out there. The rye malts stands out in a bready sort of way. In addition to this there are some roasted chocolate tones and a sort of earthiness mixed in.

T: The taste falls a little short of the facade the nose would suggest. I like the roasted chocolate and rye malt used in it, but the barrel aged blending does not do a great job of enhancing this beer. I am certain there was a stronger presence in the tap offerings. The beer sort of loses itself in the finish: earthy and a tad thin. In fact the more I drink it, the more the alcohol and a sort of metallic acidity comes out.

M: Despite the excellent look it falls a little short. Medium bodied at best, but water at moments and certainly not yield a silky or creamy character.

D: Despite the excitement of whiskey barrel blending this one falls a little short. Tyranena's old barreled offerings were far more impressive. I sill consume a fair amount of their stuff, but the Brewers Gone Wild! series isn't what it used to be.

3.55/5  rDev -14%

Thanks to Pitmonkey for this!

Pours a very dark red/brown that allows almost no light to penetrate. Tan head dissipates very quickly.

Smell is chocolate, coffee, whisky, and maybe I'm just imagining this, but I could swear that just sniffing it puts a spiciness in the back of my throat.

Very smooth, rich and creamy mouthfeel, light but frothy carbonation. Taste is like milk chocolate spiked with rye, which may not sound appetizing, but it's pretty good. There's plenty of sweetness from the malt, but a strong bite from the booze, which is actually a little numbing on the tongue after a few sips, and rye.

A pretty easy beer to drink--for the category. It's damn smooth but too simple and the flavor doesn't really linger the way you expect it to. Nice but not super memorable.

3.55/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is my second bottle which has now been aged for about 5-6 months. It certainly has improved over the fresh one for me.

A: Black. Tan head quickly dissipated tan ring around sniffer.

S: Faint coffee and whisky

T: Roasted malts, dark chocolate with a very faint whisky. Without age it had a bit bitterness that I was not particularly fond of.

M: Starts creamy with medium carbonation forming soon after. Leaves a slight alcohol burn in the finish.

O: Could be a bit more complex, but it's a decent beer with some age on it.

3.57/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to GbVDave for the opportunity. Pours a thin layer of light brown head over a dark brown liquid. Ruby edgings is nice. Smells rich chocolate, mild coffee, clean alcohol, dark brooding wood, and vanillins rolling upwards.

Tastes wonderfully balanced between malt flavors, wood, and alcohol. A bit too sticky for my preference, but does dry in the aftertaste, partly due to fine stinging carbonation. Malt flavors are chocolate syrup, licorice, mild smoke, and dark caramel. Vanillins are not as prominent in flavor as they were on the nose.

Thick mouthfeel is too sticky for me. light, but zippy carbonation. Medium drinkability.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a deep, dark brown, almost black, with a nice brown head. Aromas of chocolate, mostly, with some light rye whiskey notes. A bit spicy on the palate, as I get a bit of the rye whiskey (although not nearly as much as I would like), a touch of coffee and more rich chocolate. Nice mouthfeel, good carbonation. A fairly well balanced porter, though I would have liked a bit more whiskey.

3.61/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to Kegatron for gifting me with a bottle of this. I have had very few offerings from Tyranena and each of them thus far have been enjoyable and unique. Poured into a tulip, the brew appears black in color with 2 fingers of tan head. The cap is frothy and slowly recedes coating the entire surface of the glass with a thick coating of lace. What remains is a rich froth that is almost nitrogen-like in appearance with its tiny bubble formation that is very creamy looking.

The aroma opens up with a light tang, perhaps from the rye whiskey inclusion. It is pleasantly roasted with a rich, dark grainy character that is deeply earthy like heavily kilned coffee with a slight touch of citrus aspect. The roast transcends from coffee quality to bitter chocolate and then on to dark fruits like raisins, molasses and a touch of tobacco. The alcohol falls in and out of being noticed with a mild accent to the dark fruity quality of this aroma. Overall, this is a very pleasant smelling brew.

The taste of this brew opens up with a pleasant bitterness that is quite reminiscent of unsweetened cacao. A bit of earthy quality mixes with a roast like fresh coffee. Some dark fruity quality and alcohol is present with a raisin-like touch of character. A touch of tobacco fills out the middle. The backend has a mild touch of barrel presence with tannins and oak quality that flirts with a mild vanilla flavor but doesn't quite get there. As the brew gets warmer, a bit of tangy alcohol touch starts to get increasingly more and more noticeable. It isn't distracting by any means but its also not my favorite aspect of this sort of brew.

This is a rich, medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It has a slick, smooth feel that almost goes with the predescribed look of almost being like it is a nitro deliver but not quite that smooth and silky. I get a little funny about porters and stouts that have dark fruit flavors but this one had enough of roasty bitterness and other character that it really formed a solid, enjoyable package. Thanks again for this one Heath!

3.62/5  rDev -12.3%

Thanks to tytoanderso for this one.

Looks dark brown at a glance, but glows like port when held to the light. Not much head to speak of here.

Smells of milk chocolate and maraschino cherries with a touch of sour booze and a hint of coffee.

Tastes much like cocoa again, but more like chocolate pudding. There really isn't much here other than a milky chocolate blended into an ambiguous boozy dryness. In the finish, a lactic sweetness coats my mouth and I'm left with a touch of black licorice. Looking over some of the other reviews to see what I'm missing, I agree that there may be a bit of peanut butter here, but I still say that this one is a bit dull.

Feels sticky and huge with a ton of thickening micro-bubbles.

I think I missed the point of this one. Perhaps a year in the cellar may bring this one around.

3.62/5  rDev -12.3%

Awesome extra received from brian23456 in a recent trade. Thanks!

Poured into my pint glass. Pours a thick deep black with no head at all. There's just a thin tan ring around the edge. Though this leaves some lace on the glass. The nose is not that bold at all. I'm getting some chocolate notes, and maybe some coffee whiffs.

Big full-bodied beer here. Carbonation level is moderate-to-low. Creamy, chewy mouth. Nice. Flavor is also not as bold as expected. Roasted coffee, some mild cocoa notes, and hints of mellowing wood on the finish. I expected more from this with the addition of rye and being aged in whiskey barrels, but alas, it was not so. Still, this was a better Porter than many. I could have another.

3.62/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received as an extra from Oach after he learned how much I love this brewery... Thanks!

Poured into pint glass from bottle. I was somewhat disappointing in the lack of head ...Oh well. Color is a dark coffee brown with no transparency. Consistency looks great for a tasty porter.

Aroma is somewhat faint, I expected a bit more from a Rye, but there are still hints of molasses and whiskey mostly, maybe some honey in there.

As for the taste, I immediately notice licorice, coffee.. with a little bit of tartness on the tongue. You do taste a bit of coffee and sweet malt in this as well. As always, I love the smooth whiskey hint at the end of these aged beers.

Mouthfeel is just ok for a porter. It poured a bit then, and feels this way in the mouth as well. For my preference, it lacks some carbonation.

Drinkability is always hard for me to judge. There is a very suttle alcohol taste on the back of the tongue which doesn't put me off at all, but I wouldn't drink more than one. Not a bad porter overall, but I've certainly had better... especially barrel aged. I am glad I got to try it.

3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A: A dark brown color with no head on a nice even pour. Carbonation was just a thin ring around the edge at the top. Minimal if any glass lacing.

S: Dark roasted malts with chocolate, burnt coffee and a sweet candy smell.

T: The roasted flavors come through first with tastes of burnt coffee, dark chocolate, some woody oak flavors and some toasted malts. The middle yields the sweetness from the whiskey barrels which yielded a very strong vanilla sweet flavor coupled with some sweeter chocolate flavor. I actually found it a bit sweet for my taste. Finish was smooth and creamy with the roasted flavors lingering. I was left with some sort of metallic aftertaste I was not really digging.

M: Creamy and smooth, but a bit thin actually. Slight alcohol burn.

D: Really? I didn't think this was a beer I could ever drink more than one of. The sweetness really wore on me.

Overall I was so eager to try this beer, but left disappointed. I just didn't care for how the whiskey barrels changed the flavor with so much sweetness. I love barrel aged beers, but this one just didn't do it for me.

3.67/5  rDev -11.1%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a DFH Signature Glass, the beer pours dark brown with a 1/4 inch tan head that went away quickly. There isn't much lacing left behind on the glass. Aroma is caramel, chocolate, roasted malt and a bit of vanilla. It's a nice but slightly weak aroma. The taste is similar to the aroma, but luckily the taste is stronger. Unfortunately I still don't pick up much of any rye whiskey in the aroma or flavor of this brew, other than some vanilla. It's tasty, but I wish I could taste and smell more rye whiskey in this beer. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating and creamy with decent carbonation. I think it's a solid overall brew, but it was a bit disappointing. Maybe Tyranena should age more than just 40% of this in rye whiskey barrels in their next batch.

Dirty Old Man

Served in New Belgium globe glass.

A: Pours deep, deep brown with big, light-brown head. Standard looking stout.

S: Dark chocolate and toasted rye bread dominate smell. Additional aromas include damp wood and alcohol, perhaps whiskey.

T: Roasted malts definitely eclipse toasted rye bread, although that is still present, especially before the beer warms up. Intense dark chocolate and roasted coffee hog palate's attention. Smoke, damp wood and some alcohol figure in taste, too. Medium bitterness. Finish is powdered chocolate and espresso coffee grinds.

M: Medium-heavy body and medium carbonation. Has a velvety mouthfeel. Not particularly warming.

O: I'm coming to the conclusion that all the darker versions of the Brewers Gone Wild series are simply variations on a theme and that the variations themselves tend to be slight. With that said, Tyranena does wonderful work with roasted malts. Dirty Old Man is another solid stout.

3.67/5  rDev -11.1%

Thanks to levifunk for this one. Poured into 10oz glass. Poured black, no translucence, with a thin light tan head that had no retention and low lacing.

Very nice roasted aromas greet the nose. I didn't pick up any Rye in the scent. The flavors were pretty typical for a big Porter, and there was a bit of the Rye sharpness I was expecting.

Body and drinkability were both typical for the style. Overall, a decent beer that's worth a shot if you see it.

3.68/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tulip.

APPEARANCE

The beer pours a viscus deep black. The bubbles took awhile before they creaped up to form the 2 finger head, which was a mocha brown. This beer looks like it's a lot bigger then expected.

SMELL

Tons of roasted malt and chocolate in this one. It's a bitter dark chocolate aroma, and it's followed by some slight espresso. The whiskey comes in quite a bit, but I was expecting more. It smells pretty balanced, with no aroma overpowering any other.

TASTE

Not quite as intense as expected, but very nice. There's a lot of roasted malt and bitter dark chocolate, which is followed by some slight coffee. The rye is subtle but welcomed, and the whiskey is a little underwhelming. The whiskey flavor is a lot more intense in the aroma, but there is enough flavor to satisfy a whiskey-lover's toungue.

MOUTHFEEL

The mouthfeel is fairly thick without making the beer sweet and syrupy. The only way I k ow how to describe it is that it reminds my of the leftover water in a bowl of oatmeal - thick but not sweet. There's a little carbonation which helps clear the mouth a bit.

OVERALL

This is a barrel-aged beer that is pretty easy drinking. Being used to big whiskey-barrel stouts, this brew feels almost watery. However, it's not a bad thing. It makes for a beer that could be enjoyed relatively quickly, but also could be sipped and savored. It's sort of sweet yet earthy, and big yet small. It's a solid beer all around.

Cheers.

3.68/5  rDev -10.9%

Flows from the bottle completely black with a thick khaki head. Smells of roasty toasty oak, chocolate and coffee. Not getting any rye here really, though there's some faint sweet-sourness cropping up as it warms. The sourness and spice does crop up in the flavor profile though, reflecting the sweet, almost lactic finish to this smooth, creamy baltic porter. Prune, boozy cherries, peppery esters, faint smokiness and cocoa round out the character. All in all, not much of a departure from style standards, I think I expected a bit more deviation, a bit more evidence of the aging. Not wowed, but quite good nonetheless. Being my first from Tyranena, I wouldn't mind exploring more from the brewery. Cheers to autumnaldave for the introduction.

3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured a dark brown body and I noted there was a lot of inconsistancy among the 4-pack with the carbonation and head. The best bottle had a good 1 1/2 fingers of head while the worst having barely any at all.

Smell is heavy on the chocolate with a coffee chaser.

The taste was dissapointing. It was good, but the "Imperial Rye Porter Aged In Rye Whiskey Barrels" that I purchased turned out to be just a porter with typical coffee and chocolate flavors. The rye gave off a slightly bready and spicy kick, but if I didn't know it was a rye porter I probably wouldn't have picked it up. As for the barrel aging, it didn't add much to it. There are light vanilla tones, but nothing out of the ordinary for a porter.

Mouthfeel is nice and creamy with decent carbonation.

This is ok on the drinkability. I think my disappointment with my expectations resulted in a little boredom. It wasn't hard to drink, just uninteresting. The alcohol shows up a little, but it's not abrasive.

Overall, this is a good beer but I feel misled by the label. The label made it sound unique and interesting when it was just a little better than ordinary.

3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured from a bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown/almost black with just a little light coming through at the edges. There is a layer of tan head that dissipates to just a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Sweet and mildly roasty. Hints of dark fruit and cocoa. Some rye(the liquor) in there as well.

Taste: Roasty with some burnt malt and coffee as well. A bit sweet with hints of dark chocolate and dark fruits. Some alcohol from the rye, and some spice from the rye grain. Roasty finish.

Mouthfeel: Body is a bit on the thick side with prickly carbonation. The finish is a bit dry.

Overall: I enjoyed this one, but I don't know that I'll be searching it out again. I liked the barrel aging with the flavors, but nothing wowed me. Good but not great.

3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Benji's brew needed a companion in my fridge, and this one looked about right to fit that bill. It pours an opaque burnt sienna topped by a slowly-forming finger of light tan foam. The nose comprises toffee, oak, vanilla, whiskey, and walnuts. The taste ramps up the whiskey and the oak, adds some burnt biscuits and sharp black pepper, and lessens the impact of just about anything else, though a light breeze of roasted malts makes it through the forest. The body is fairly hefty, with a light carbonation and a nearly chewy feel. Overall, a solid brew based on a solid idea, but a bit overdone, I feel.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter from Tyranena Brewing Company