Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter - Tyranena Brewing Company

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Porter |  7.90% ABV

Beer added by: Atron67 on 02-10-2008

Aged in Rye Whiskey barrels.
3.85/5  rDev -6.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a Meantile tulip. Bottled on 09NOV09, no info.

A - A tall pour is suspiciously quiet and offers up no more than a sliver of tan foam. No lace is disappointing as is the poor retention. The beer is completely black otherwise.

S - Dirty is right. The aroma reeks of crusty old dirt. A hint of smoke is reminiscent of both BBQ and bonfire which I like. Roasted malts and a very light hint of woody whiskey. Not boozy in the least though. A teeny chocolate chunk can be smelled floating around in there.

T - The rye has a slight bite in the flavor but the age in the barrels must have been fairly weak. No whiskey comes through but the wood adds a nice characteristic to the roasted chocolate malts. Nice porter flavor.

M - Full-bodied and smooth, the opposite of a dirty old man's skin. Very dry in the finish and just as bitter as a grumpy old fart. Lots of acrid bitterness in this one. No alcohol involvement surprisingly.

D - The sponge bath the label's stick-figure requests is out of the question, but I wouldn't mind putting another one of these beers down. Better fresh, more whiskey involvement, smooth and satisfying with age. What's the ABV? Is this really an 'Imperial'?

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

A - Black oil like poor with a chocolate tinted head. Very light head.

S - The smell is excellent and of chocolate.

T - Chocolate malty rye heaven! You can most certainly get the hint of whisky! Outstanding!

M - Smooth and creamy!

D - Surprisingly good for an American Porter. I think I could take on two of these in a row if I could get these anytime. But this is a beer soon to be extinct. I am proud to have had this special and unique drink. Thanks Duff!

3.73/5  rDev -9.7%

A- Pours black as night. Kind of a mocha colored small head. Minimal lacing. I really like the way this one pours and looks.

S- This is where the rye aspect really makes its presence known.

T- Some chocolate malts present. I get a small sample of the whiskey notes but nothing overpowering at all.

M- Silky smooth. Medium to light mouthfeel. Very nice.

D/O- Somewhat too much to handle beyond this one bottle. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed this Tyranena offering. Glad I had the opportunity to try it as it may never be brewed again.

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%

A= The pour is a total black out color with a thin tan head coming out of it yet holding some pretty steady retention and lacing. Much darker than I expected.

S= Smells sort of like candy. Waxy in a way if that makes sense. There is a great deal of vanilla to it that I get from the barrel. It smells very very familiar but I can't quite put my nose on it. There isn't a ton of rye spice but it comes through a bit. Chocolate is in it. interesting.

T= The taste has much more rye spice to it as well as vanilla. The factor that I couldn't figure out in the nose is gone from the taste. Loads of vanilla still as well as a great deal of barrel and oak to it. Great roastyness for a porter and actually suprisingly porter like for being an imperial. I love my porters but I think they loose a little when you imperialize them. Not much whiskey to it at all. Tyranena does a real nice job with their barrels I think.

M= A little thin on the mouth but nothing too bad.

D= This is a really great brew. I'm impressed all around with it. The individual aspects of it lead the way for each new part. The porter is well represented as well as the rye and barrel. This is the rare example of a complex beer actually working in harmony.

4.13/5  rDev 0%

Another Tyranena beer sent along by Kegatron because he knows this brewery is after my own heart. Poured into a Tyranena logo British Imperial pint glass at about 45 degrees.

This is one fine looking beer. It's actually kind of odd, when I was pouring it there was absolutely no head forming at all so I kept pouring more and more vigorously, once I was done pouring, it started SLOWLY rising up and ended up creating this monstrous head with a big cascading guinness like effect that looked incredible. Be careful if your glass is smaller than my imperial pint glass or it will overflow. Light brown super creamy head, easily 3 finger widths tall. Great retention and awesome uniform lacing. The body is a super dark brown, almost black.

I found the smell to be very similar to other dark Tyranena beers I have had, which is a good thing. Chocolate, raisins, some cherry alcohol, dark caramel, hints of roast... A little bit of spicyness from the rye comes out from this one, and some vanilla from the whiskey barrel. Wonderfully complex and has many layers to it. Could contemplate it more but I want to jump right in and soak my tongue in it.

The flavor is not quite as complex as the nose, but still darn tasty. Chocolate, vanilla, and caramel hit first, then raisins, and finally a bit of rye spice, but the rye doesn't contribute as much as I would have thought. A bit of an alcohol cherry kick lingers around.

Actually seems a little bit thin to me for a beer of this nature. It's very creamy and nice, but I just wish it were a bit thicker is all. Kind of reminds me of a low ABV oatmeal stout consistency.

Drinks relatively well. Another winner from Tyranena, I just love what they're doing with their dark beers. Yes, they make a lot of them, and yes, many of them taste a lot a like, but is that really a bad thing? They're all good! Seek it out.

4.34/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark black with a dirty white head that is short-lived.

Aroma is heavy on the chocolate and has the distinct earthy, musty character that rye can impart. More of a chocolate malt leaning porter than a roasted, coffee porter. Somewhat similar to chocolate chip cookies with a softer, milk chocolate smell that I would attribute to the barrel effect.

Light chocolate and caramel malt are the primary contributors to the flavor, which is also a bit more roasted than it smelled. In addition to a little coffee, there's also vanilla, wood tannin and a distinctive rye character. Like the aroma, I notice the barrel effect, but fail to pick up any whiskey. Would guess that is due to combination of the beer being a blend of barrel aged and non-barrel aged porter and having some age on the bottle.

Mouthfeel is smooth, but not really as thick or chewy as one might like to accompany the flavor. At worst, it seems at least adequate for a porter. Carbonation level is medium.

Overall, there are a few minor flaws you can find with this beer, but it hits the mark where it counts - flavor. Not much whiskey if that's what you're hoping for, but I love the rye contribution. Can't go wrong with Tyranena.

3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Benji's brew needed a companion in my fridge, and this one looked about right to fit that bill. It pours an opaque burnt sienna topped by a slowly-forming finger of light tan foam. The nose comprises toffee, oak, vanilla, whiskey, and walnuts. The taste ramps up the whiskey and the oak, adds some burnt biscuits and sharp black pepper, and lessens the impact of just about anything else, though a light breeze of roasted malts makes it through the forest. The body is fairly hefty, with a light carbonation and a nearly chewy feel. Overall, a solid brew based on a solid idea, but a bit overdone, I feel.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Wow! I found this in the back of my fridge tonight. Hidden gem I forgot I had and can't remember where I got.
A: Dark rose red poured into Sam's Adams glass. Very little head lacing around the rim.
S: Roasted malt
T: Chocolatey yumminess.
M: Thick and swishable
D: As it goes down it gets smoother.

12 oz. bottle courtesy of a trade.
Pours a dark brown with reddish edges. Head was two-finger which settled to a coating lasting throughout. Taste was coffee, vanilla, chocolate, some coconut but with a boozy rye whiskey overcoming in the end. Mouthfeel was robust and full-bodied. A fair amount of carbonation was observed and felt. This was a very good porter and it's sad it was a one-time offering. If you can still get it, try it!

3.62/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received as an extra from Oach after he learned how much I love this brewery... Thanks!

Poured into pint glass from bottle. I was somewhat disappointing in the lack of head ...Oh well. Color is a dark coffee brown with no transparency. Consistency looks great for a tasty porter.

Aroma is somewhat faint, I expected a bit more from a Rye, but there are still hints of molasses and whiskey mostly, maybe some honey in there.

As for the taste, I immediately notice licorice, coffee.. with a little bit of tartness on the tongue. You do taste a bit of coffee and sweet malt in this as well. As always, I love the smooth whiskey hint at the end of these aged beers.

Mouthfeel is just ok for a porter. It poured a bit then, and feels this way in the mouth as well. For my preference, it lacks some carbonation.

Drinkability is always hard for me to judge. There is a very suttle alcohol taste on the back of the tongue which doesn't put me off at all, but I wouldn't drink more than one. Not a bad porter overall, but I've certainly had better... especially barrel aged. I am glad I got to try it.

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Apperance -- Pours a deep brown with a thin layer of brown head.

Smell -- Whiskey, dark chocolate, molasses, vanilla. Not especially aromatic, but it's pleasant.

Tate -- Dark chocolate, burnt bread crust, whiskey, dark brown sugar, licorice, malted milk, vanilla. Nice balance of burnt bitterness and roast malt sweetness. The rye barrel is very downplayed, much to this beer's advantage.

Mouthfeel -- Full in body with mild carbonation. Chewy, smooth, creamy. Very mild oak astringency/dryness.

Drinkability -- The partial barrel aging worked exceptionally well in this beer; lends a lot of depth, but doesn't put a dent in the drinkability. The abv isn't listed on this beer. I can't make a good guess, either. This is concerning...

3.97/5  rDev -3.9%

Oakbluff hooked me up with one of these in our recent trade. Cheers!

From a bottle into a snifter

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger medium-thick tan colored head with good retention. Pours out dark brown and sits black in the glass with zero carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a good wisp. A ring remains until the end and leaves dots of lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Roasted malts, bourbon and vanilla, as well as some oak from the barrels. Hints of milk chocolate in there as well. Mild nose, but very nicely put together.

TASTE: Roasted malts with some more bourbon and vanilla flavors. A good dose of milk chocolate as well, integrated nicely with the rest. The mild but lingering aftertaste is plenty milk chocolaty, with notes of bourbon and vanilla in there as well.

PALATE: Medium-full body and medium carbonation. Creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes slightly dry. Good feel.

OVERALL: Another good offering from Tyranena. Compared to the chipotle porter, I think I enjoyed this one a little more. A solid barrel aged imperial porter. Thanks for chance to try this retired brew oakbluff.

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Black--quite black--with a great medium tan head that has amazing, steady retention

S: The spicy rye quality is first evident but then the whiskey comes sweeping in; there is also a steady roasted malt presence and coffee seems to peak through at the last moment

T: The rye and whiskey hit the taste buds first but that's followed by a wave of flavors from vanilla to chocolate to coffee to roasted--and perhaps a bit burnt--malts; very good flavors but there is a subtle watery thinness that distracts a bit

F: Creamy but yet again, thin toward the end

D: A very drinkable, strong porter with little effect--in the flavors--from the alcohol; good porter...damn good

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

Deep brown, some head that fades sort of quickly.

Smells roasty, full of coffee, oak, malt, vanilla, and rye.

Very flavorful. Roasted flavor, a bit of chocolate, a bit of wood and rye. Some more typical porter burnt tastes are present as well. Not as boozy as I expected.

Smooth body.

Nicely done, but didn't touch Devil Over a Barrel.

4.49/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter.
THe beer pours a clear mahogany with thin beige head going to an edge layer almost immediately.
Aroma is some coffee bean and hints of whisky and oak, with just a dab of smoke in the background.
First sip reveals a fine tingly carbonationwith a thick hearty body and chewy texture.
Flavor is similar to nose advertisement with a little dark chocolate sprinkled in and some brown sugar with the whisky notes. No smoke on the nose and the flavor is not as robust as the aroma. Not a bad thing just a little more mild than the big nose.
I dont get any hops as this is a big malty brew. A bit of a sipper, but one that I enjoy thoroughly, go find a bottle of this and you wont be let down.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

A - Deep translucent brown; like the color of a brown glass bottle. It is capped with a scant head, no real lace to speak of.

S - Some barrel, a good dose of roast, a fair amount of oxidation, rounded out by soy sauce, raisin and cinnamon.

T - The taste is at first quite reminiscent of a nice RIS with a little age on it. The Porter begins to show up as it airs out and develops; I find the line between Porter and Stout to be tangible but frequently inarticulate in nature. Anyhow, heavily roasted character is the mainstay of the flavor profile; rugged notes of milk chocolate, raisin, char, and oxidation fuse with smooth barrel nuances of oak and vanilla.

M - Very creamy feel; velvety-rich, it feels like it coats your whole throat.

D - Very easily quaffed. The people of Wisconsin are up to their eyeballs in world-class beer.

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle received as an extra in a trade with a generous BA thanks!

Appearance: Pours super dark mahogany with a 1 finger beige crown that displays little retention but leaves lots of lace everywhere.

Smell: Dark roast malt, chocolate covered bacon, rye, and whiskey. I like the integration.

Taste: Slight whiskey barrel tinge over dark malt that is moderately roasted and balanced with a moderate chocolate note. Hints of toffee and plum round it out nicely.

Mouthfeel: Thin side of heavy bodied with good carbonation.

Drinkability: Not bad despite the mouthfeel which is a bit thick.

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into a Tulip Glass.

A - Pours pretty thick and straight up black in color. It has very little dark brown head.

S - Dark Roasted Malts, Dark Coffee, and slight whisky and rye too.

T - Big roasted coffee and coffee bitterness, cocoa, whisky, slight rye, and some oxidation. Overall really well balanced and tasty!

M - Kind of on the light side and have good carbonation with a bit of chew to it.

D - This is really quite good. Never had anything from Tyranena before and this is a good way to get started. Recommended!

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks to iasanlee for this one.

I was really stoked to get this in a recent trade. Its one of the few Brewers Gone Wild series beers I haven't been able to try and probably the one I wanted to try the most. Poured a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish Head snifter. This beer pours a oily black velvet with a 2-inch beige cap that leaves soap like lacing down the sides of my snifter. When held to the light mahogany hues show through the edges. Whoa. I stuck my nose in the glass for the first sniff and dang, that's a whole lot of rye whiskey. Whiskey and rye pepper followed closely by rich chocolate cake, cocoa powder, and some black strap molasses. The taste is exactly the same minus the Rye. I know its a blended beer, something like 60% normal 40% barrel aged but its like the 40% came out in the nose and the 60% is the flavor profile. The flavor reminds me of one of those 3 layer super dense chocolate cake that's been wrapped in sweet chocolate icing. It's a desert in a bottle. Really tasty stuff. The mouthfeel is full and creamy but leaves just a slight cocoa powder dryness at the tail of the mouthfeel. I'm a sucker for dry beers. This is a fantastic beer. Wish I had a 4 pack.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Recently purchased by a good buddy in Minneapolis. No born on/best by date on bottle.
Slow rising mocha head on top of the dark brown liquid. Tan ring stays on throughout the tasting.
Toffee on the nose, roasted malt, cocoa nibs, rye whiskey and faint oak.
Smooth as hell. The rye whiskey playing on the roasted malt on the creamy milk chocolate flavor. Bitter in the middle, even some hoppiness detected.
Unreal drinkability! One of the better whiskey beers I've had.

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks to Alicia for this one. I've yet to have a bad Tyranena beer so I had been looking forward to this one.

A: The beer pours a very dark brown color, nearing black in the right lighting, with a modest brown head.

S: Plenty of roast and coffee on the nose. A nice hit of chocolate and maybe even a bit of smokiness as well. The rye provides an interesting spicy quality, but I don't pick up the whiskey too much.

T: The barrel aged portion comes through more in the flavor. A hint of vanilla goes well with the heavy roast, chocolate, and coffee flavors. A nice balance of sweet and bitter.

M: The body is maybe a bit on the thin side for what you would expect from an imperial porter, but a low smooth carbonation redeems things on the mouthfeel.

D: Another Tyranena beverage that does not disappoint. Glad I have another one of these to enjoy at a later date.

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

12oz bottle from a recent trade. Pours a dark brown with a minimal cascade of bubbles to the top, leaving a few streaks of lacing down the glass.

Loads of rye whiskey in the nose, reminds me of the Crown and cokes that were popular in university. Sweet, spicy rye, a bit of roasty malt, a hint of sweet brown sugar. Could use a little more heft to counter the rye.

Taste follows suit: rye, rye, roast, brown sugar, molasses, vanilla, hint of coffee,toast, a light bittering hops in the finish, just a faint whiff of alcohol (or at least the rye gives the impression of it). Thinnish body, not a ton of carbonation.

Not a bad beer, second rye whiskey aged beer I've had and this one comes out the winner. Well integrated but could use a little more heft or roast to balance a dominating sweetness. Well done.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Pours black with nice fluffy, medium dark tan head. Not much lacing, but head retention is nice.

S: Roastiness up front. Lots of rye and some spiciness as well. Hints of coffee and bitter chocolate peek through.

T: Great taste. Lots of roastiness and rye up front that lingers after you swallow. Good chocolate flavor. Hint of whiskey barrels blends in nicely.

M: Nice body. This is actually thicker than I expected. Good example for the style.

D: Really enjoyed this beer. Somewhat of a surprise to me, and I'm glad I picked this up in Milwaukee on my last trip up there. Can't say I've ever had a rye porter, but this one set the bar high.

4.17/5  rDev +1%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A - Very dark brown with a small amount of brown head and lacing

S - Coffee, rye malt, and whiskey.

T - Whiskey is evident pretty quickly, but isn't overpowering like it is in a lot of barrel-aged beers. Medium-roast coffee and semi-sweet chocolate appear next and complement each other well. This isn't nearly as sweet as it could be, which is a surprise (and a plus for me). A generous amount of rye flavor and hops contribute to a pleasing bitter end.

M - Full-bodied for a porter, this is relatively chewy stuff. Not too much carbonation.

D - This is a tasty beverage. I could easily have another, but I'd rather save one for another time.

Tyranena is firing on all cylinders, and this beer is no exception. Easily the best rye beer that I've had (though I've only had a few). I hope this is brewed again in the near future; if you like distinctive porters and can find some, it's a must-try!

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Brownish-black with a little bit of a dark tan head. Pretty cool looking lacing that sticks for quite a while but doesn't follow you down the glass. Stouty.

S: Dark chocolate with a hint of coffee and the graininess from the rye.

T: Pleasant whiskey alcohol taste. More of that dark chocolate about halfway with an intense sweetness towards the end. Like eating chocolate chips straight from the bag. Satisfyingly bitter from the I-don't-know-what hops while I think the carbonation might also add to this; very sharp. As it warms, plum fruit becomes more apparent as it overtakes the chocolate.

M: Pretty well carbonated for a porter but a possible distraction from the other complexities here. The alcohol burn from the whiskey is super welcome as I've always been a fan of barrel-aged beers that really include the liquor feel. The taste lingers in your mouth for quite a while.

D: I would definitely drink several more of these in a sitting, but that's just the little chocolate-addicted alcoholic baby in me. The richness of the taste and the alcohol hint however might scare other pussies away into switching beers immediately.

Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter from Tyranena Brewing Company