Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter - Tyranena Brewing Company

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Porter |  7.90% ABV

Beer added by: Atron67 on 02-10-2008

Aged in Rye Whiskey barrels.
3.62/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received as an extra from Oach after he learned how much I love this brewery... Thanks!

Poured into pint glass from bottle. I was somewhat disappointing in the lack of head ...Oh well. Color is a dark coffee brown with no transparency. Consistency looks great for a tasty porter.

Aroma is somewhat faint, I expected a bit more from a Rye, but there are still hints of molasses and whiskey mostly, maybe some honey in there.

As for the taste, I immediately notice licorice, coffee.. with a little bit of tartness on the tongue. You do taste a bit of coffee and sweet malt in this as well. As always, I love the smooth whiskey hint at the end of these aged beers.

Mouthfeel is just ok for a porter. It poured a bit then, and feels this way in the mouth as well. For my preference, it lacks some carbonation.

Drinkability is always hard for me to judge. There is a very suttle alcohol taste on the back of the tongue which doesn't put me off at all, but I wouldn't drink more than one. Not a bad porter overall, but I've certainly had better... especially barrel aged. I am glad I got to try it.

4.84/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into Portsmouth Brewery tulip. About time I spread the wealth with my glassware. Had let the bottle sit out from the fridge for about 20 minutes before pouring.

A: Very, very dark brown. Almost black. Despite aggressive (read: full vertical pour), there was virtually no head. For a beer with a not so high ABV, this is a bit surprising, but not off-putting by any means.

S: Chocolate covered raisins all the way through. I'm usually not a huge dark fruits fan, but this smells awesome. I'm almost picking up on some prunes. Very intense smell.

T: The smell is replicated on the palette. I'm not picking up on a lot of the barrel, but it makes sense since it was blended. When I think about it, I can definitely pick up on it, but otherwise, I'd be none the wiser. Again, not a big dark fruits guy, but I'm digging this.

M: Velvety smooth and entirely enjoyable. Wouldn't want more than a few of these at a time, but the ABV is well hidden.

O: The only shortcoming is the initial appearance, but otherwise this beer is nothing short of great. If you see this, give it a shot without thinking twice about it.

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Dark brown, almost black with a small tan head. Sweet smell with some toasty undertones, although not very strong. Roasted taste with apparent vanilla undertones. Chocolate flavor becomes more apparent along with hints of whiskey as the beer is consumed. Roasted malts very apparent in the aftertaste that lingers for quite some time.
This is a well crafted beer that does not disappoint.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours thick, molasses like, thin tan/brown 1 finger head and slight turbidity. Retention is mild although nice lacing is left down the glass. Toasty burnt malt/caramel aromas, oaky, vanilla, whiskey and raisin aromas. Less barrel imparted flavors than present in the smell, bitter toasted malt character (rye bread), chocolate, espresso, vanilla pops through in the finish. Nice rounded finish, not too sweet, good sized body that coats the tongue nicely, resinous, rich, boozy and warming down the hatch. Excellent beer here.

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

A - Pours near black with about a finger of dark brown head. Head dissipates pretty quickly leaving a good amount of lacing.

S - A lot of whiskey in the nose, vanilla, caramel, hints of currant and maple.

T - At serving temperature malts shine through i, caramel and bitter chocolate with a smooth vanilla presence. Some hints of berry and raisin. As it warms bourbon notes shine through, tastes from the wood become more apparent.

M - Fills the mouth, almost syrupy without being cloying. A very chewy, dense beer.

This is an awesome big beer. It has similar affects to a heavy quilt and flannel sheets. Unlike other barrel aged beers I never felt the whiskey presence to be overpowering.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

I love this beer. I'm not sure what Tyranena's future plans are, but I hope they include more of this beer.

Pours dark brown/black. Brown head.

Great aroma. Coffee, dark chocolate, nice rye undertones.

Taste is great! Coffee, dark chocolate, malty, rye undertones. Subdues whiskey barrel flavors.

Example of how much I liked this beer: I bought it on a whim because I like rye beers. Went back three days later and bought another 4-pack. Went back a week later and bought three more 4-packs. Awesome stuff.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottled: 02/04/08, picked up at Three Cellars in May 2008.

Appearance: Pours very dark brown, bordering on black. Carbonation is noticeable, but only mustered about a 1/2 inch chocolate colored head.

Smell: Probably the best smelling beer I've ever consumed. Smelled of gourmet chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, and cocoa.

Taste: Fantastic. Some spicy notes from the rye. A nice cocoa flavor with a very nice bourbon finish. A very slight fig-like quality plays in the background. The finish is more bourbon than rye, and there is a very nice alcohol warming sensation. Definitely surpassed my expectations.

Mouthfeel: Much stiller than I thought it would be, but that seemed to play in the beers favor. Coated the tongue and the warming effect from the alcohol pleased the palate.

Overall: Wish I had a few more laying around as this was a superb offering from Tyranena. Hopefully, this gets rebrewed in the future.

4.44/5  rDev +7.5%

120z bottle poured into my Duvel chalice.

This beer poured out a deep, dark brown/black color. There was very minimal head but what little there was was a muddy brown color. As soon as I poured I got hit in the schnoz with lots of molasses, whiskey, burnt coffee, and dark chocolate notes. I'm salivating like Pavlov's dog right about now! My first sip greets me with an extremely dominant dark chocolate taste, followed up by a sweeter cocoa flavor. I also taste a little bit of black licorice. This doesn't seem as thick as most other porters I've had, but still excellent nonetheless! I'll seek this out and make sure to send a few along in trades as extras!

4.27/5  rDev +3.4%

Same sunflower yellow bottle labels as the rest of the "Brewers Gone Wild" series of beers. Dirty old stick figure man says "Gimme a sponge bath!"

Statement of Composition:
40% Malt Beverage aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels
60% Malt Beverage

Pours a rich black color, hints of deep reds are visible when the beer is thinned out. Rather shallow tan crown

Strong aroma, lots of dark chocolate flavors, cherry, alcohols.

Delicious, rich complex flavor, with similarities to an imperial stout. Roasted malts, a definite rye whiskey character, and dark chocolate flavors. Some alcohol at the end along with a bit of oak barreled aftertaste. Good full body beer. Very tasty.

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance
Opaque black brown with a beautiful thick tan/cream head that's slow to develop but rushes in after the pour. Fun to watch. Drink me!

Aroma
Roasted rye malts, hints of smooth roast coffee and chocolate. A substantial thwack of alcohol to the nose.

Taste
Wow this is a unique porter. A bit hotter on the alcohol than I was expecting due to aging but it works well with the beer and doesn't overpower. The roasted rye character is a unique characteristic of this beer and is very interesting, although it might be a bit much for some. It really cuts through the aftertaste for a new experience. Quite a bit of spice that builds throughout the beer. Some woody profiles towards the end. Not much in the way of hops. I wish the notes of chocolate and coffee had played more prominently into the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel
Minimal carbonation and medium mouthfeel. This is spot on for a porter.

Drinkability/Overall Impression
A little too much rye for me to want to continue drinking this after one. It drinks well enough but the huge flavors of rye and barrel aged alcohol notes beg for a new experience after finishing the glass. The rye malts literally sits on your tonuge until the next sip and are a bit drying. Credit goes where credit's due however and this is a very unique offering from Tyranena that will keep me as a patron of their Brewers Gone Wild series.

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a 2nd Shift tasting glass.

A: Black as night. Light head that disappeared when I turned around.

S: Whisky , coffee/roasted malt

T: roasted malt, hint of coffee, boozy, cocoa nibs at the end, slightly dry

M: medium body but still light, smooth and silky

O: This is an excellent example of a porter but the booziness needs to be hidden a bit more because it was evident throughout the taste. Otherwise, it has everything I expect in a porter: light of body and roasted malt, with some additional complexity of flavor to it. I wish my palate could actually taste the rye aside from the slight dryness at the end.

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Tyranena bottled 2/4/08

Appearance: Dirty oil black,minimal head,slight lacing.

Smell: Awesome smoky malt scent. Choccolaty.

Taste: Nice and rich, complex. Just a hint of a sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, somewhat chewy. Lightly carbonated.

Drinkability: Very easy drinking beer. This is my first Baltic style Porter, so I don't have much to compare it to. I'm sure the ABV is high, but the alcohol is hidden well.
Tyranena rarely dissapoints in my opinion.

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%