Devil Over A Barrel - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Coffee Imperial Oatmeal Porter - Tyranena Brewing Company
Displayed for educational use only; do not reuse.
Ratings: 429 | Reviews: 268 | Display Reviews Only:
4.25/5 rDev -1.8%
Dark brown in color. Still a bit translucent. Forms a very minimal bit of head - really not much there. No lacing. Aroma is mostly deeply roasted malts with strong notes of coffee. Lesser notes of chocolate, earth, and raisin. Taste is also strongly of roasted malts. Again there is coffee, but this time there is oak, chocolate, and a slight hint of vanilla in the mix as well. On the heavier side of medium. Moderate bitterness. Very little alcohol. A fine, and quite approachable, barrel aged beer.
08-17-2014 23:45:23 | More by Florida9
4.13/5 rDev -4.6%
A big thanks to Jeff for always providing the goods. 12oz bottle into a Founders snifter.
Pours pitch black and viscous with no head but big, thick, oily legs. Lacing is spotty and sparse with little cling. Certainly looks promising.
Nose is chocolate, liquorice, mocha coffee, fudge, roasted malt, and booze... almost all my favorites start out this way!
Opens chocolate, molasses and roast. Coffee, fudge and smoke in the middle with a sweet bourbon backbone. A light coffee tartness towards the end mixed with more fudge and dark chocolate. Slightly boozy and coffee finish. Great balance. Mellow but full of flavor at the same time.
Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth in the mouth and goes down with some light bubbles. Finishes messy with a lingering, sticky aftertaste. A bit light, but given that this is a porter, really solid.
The non-barrel-aged version of this beer disappointed a little bit but this really blew me away. Just thick enough with great complexity and balance. Definitely worth trying.
08-12-2014 23:51:13 | More by SpeedwayJim
4.51/5 rDev +4.2%
Appearance - The beer was black with brown hues mixed into the blackness. The head was an off-white color.
Smell - The main ingredients in the aroma are the coffee and bourbon notes. The bourbon notes come with hints of vanilla.
Taste - There truly is a lot going on here. Notes of coffee, dark chocolate, tobacco, and bourbon mesh together. The bourbon is accompanied by woody notes and vanilla. After the first initial bliss, the beer does not continue with quite the same potency. It is still very enjoyable as the dark chocolate and bourbon linger in the finish.
Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is spot-on for a porter. I only wish it was a stout so it could last longer.
Overall - I have a new favorite from Tyranena.
08-08-2014 19:44:02 | More by JohnnyHopps
4.2/5 rDev -3%
Bottle as a trade extra from I forget who. Thanks! Pours dark brown to black with some light showing through on the pour but not in the glass, with a small khaki brown head. Huge earthy spicy coffee aroma, sweet lactose and chocolate. Flavor is a rush vanilla coffee combo, very smooth and decadent, without the harsh coffee spice. Wow this is very smooth. Not much bourbon, just a hint of oakiness. Medium bodied and very silky, low plus carbonation, lasting chocolate coffee finish on the tongue. Very nice.
08-04-2014 02:09:17 | More by BMMillsy
4.41/5 rDev +1.8%
12 oz. bottle (twist off?) poured into a Duvel tulip style glass. Beer comes out dark brown and has slightly lighter edges wherever the liquid gets a little more shallow. Looks closer to black as it rises in the glass. Very thin tan head with small bubbles. It doesn't stick around long and not much in the way of lacing.
Smell is freaking awesome. Lots of roasted grain, but the dominant feature is the coffee. I love coffee so I'm a big fan of this. According to the bottle, 60% of the batch was brewed with coffee and aged in bourbon barrels and the other 40% was just brewed with coffee. The coffee is robust but blends quite well with the barrel. The bourbon provides a nice vanilla oak aroma but isn't too sweet.
Taste is equally as great, completely on par with the smell. Rich roasted dark grain and even a touch of hops noticed in the flavor. The coffee flavors are wonderful, its a medium roast yet still strong enough to be considered "robust" in my opinion Bourbon certainly pleasant, but it's mild, the vanilla oak flavors that come about aren't too strong, but everything meshes really well together.
Mouthfeel is good. A heavy medium feel overall, let's you know it's there, but not too heavy. Nice and silky smooth with a bitterness just before the end and a slightly warm finish. I wouldn't call it hot, but the bourbon provides an appropriate amount of heat. One thing I gotta say about this beer is that it's so dangerously drinkable. I can't believe how much flavor it packs while being so easy drinking. My first of hopefully many from this brewery. Thanks Matt for the killer extra.
07-29-2014 02:29:32 | More by AndyAvalanche
Devil Over A Barrel - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Coffee Imperial Oatmeal Porter from Tyranena Brewing Company
96 out of 100 based on 429 ratings.