Devil Over A Barrel - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Coffee Imperial Oatmeal Porter - Tyranena Brewing Company

Devil Over A Barrel - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Coffee Imperial Oatmeal PorterDevil Over A Barrel - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Coffee Imperial Oatmeal Porter

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Porter |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: DaPeculierDane on 04-10-2008

Imperial Oatmeal Porter. 60% Porter brewed with coffee beans and aged in bourbon barrels blended with 40% Porter brewed with coffee beans.
4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

Bottle courtesy of CrazyMacHarris poured into a snifter.

A: Pours pitch black with ruby edges when held up to light. Head is big and dense and hangs around for quite a while with good lacing.

S: Wow! I have never smelled a beer like this before. The aroma is freshly ground coffee, really, really freshly ground coffee. I also get some sweet malts and vanilla, but the coffee is wonderfully dominant. Spectacular smell.

T: Taste is also dominated by the freshly ground coffee. The initial sweet caramel malt and vanilla taste gives way to dark chocolate and coffee before leaving a fairly bitter roasted coffee finish. I know I keep bringing up the coffee, but that's what's going on in this brew...and I like it.

M: Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with moderate carbonation.

D: This is one of the best porters I have ever tasted and is an absolute must for coffee lovers out there (like me). I could drink this all night long. If you haven't tried this one then do everything you can do get a bottle. (1,005 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

Yummy stuff - poured into a pint glass and got 1" of tan head. Seemed a bit reserved until it warmed up some. Then aromas of coffee, bittersweet chocolate and oats emerge. Full bodied on the palate - easy drinking stuff that hits you on the back end with just the right amount of bitterness. To repeat - yummy stuff. (316 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass from a 12oz bottle, no freshness dates seen, but bought in March 2008, this is there current release for the gone wild series.

This is a beer for the ages, or at least top of the ratings. Pours with a creamy tan head, black like a stout.

Huge coffee nose, a bit sweet, just delicious.

Big creamy taste of roasted coffee, a bit of chocolate in the middle, goes down too easy.

Full excellent mouthfeel, creamy and smooth, nicely carbonated.

Very drinkable, must be around 8-9% abv, but hard to tell, too easy to drink, made the mistake of having a Bells Oberon after this, it tasted like water, must find more of these... (654 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thought I'd better review this since I've been spreading it around the country!

Black with little to no head & a smell like the lilacs outside my window, assuming the lilacs are grown in coffee grounds & watered with bourbon.

This tastes motherfrickin great. This is precisely what I expected when I first tried KBS & didn't quite get. I can taste everything running through this, first the coffee, then the bourbon, then vanilla, all wound up in a beer that seems more stout than porter.

All of it lingers on the palate intertwined like two seraphim. I could drink plenty of this, all the while sipping it gratefully.

Another Tyranena beer I really like, but this is the best of the bunch to date. Love it & will be seeking out more before this fine brew vanishes off the face of the Midwest. (799 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Jet black with froathy brown head.

The aroma alone is worth opening this one for. Roasty malt and oats with a balance of bourbon that does not overdo it. Taste is unreal. Sweet chocolate, rich and roasty oats with a frame of fine bourbon. Complex and enjoyable.

I not a big fan of the bourbon barrell trend right now because a lot of the beers over do it and leave me with a feeling that I just had a boilermaker. This one should be the benchmark of the style that the rest are compared to. Tyranena does it again. (517 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +9.5%

Big thanks to maximum12 for hooking me up with this fine brew.

a - pour absolutely black with a smallish dark brown head, retention around the edges, slight lacing

s - wow, awesome aroma, strong coffee/espresso notes blending in nicely with bourbon, oak and vanilla, some dark chocolate and caramel as well, incredibly complex

t - bittersweet chocolate and strong coffee up front, vanilla, bourbon and caramel added on the midpalate, the finish is fairly bitter with the coffee but also has significant oak and vanilla notes as well as some light alcohol, divine!

m - medium-to-full bodied, low carbonation, slightly dry finish, alcohol warming

d - definitely a sipper, though so complex and interesting that a bottle goes down pretty easily, the alcohol is there, but adds another dimension rather than being overwhelming

Awesome beer overall, easily the best porter I've ever tried. It actually reminds me a lot of Kentucky Breakfast Stout even though it's a porter. Perfect use of bourbon barrels to add multiple dimensions to the beer. Seek this one out! (1,064 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Got this unexpected brew from sprinkle, thanks man.

12 oz. stubby bottle allowed to warm up a bit before pouring it into a nonic.

Pours a thick black with tiny ruby outlines. A fluffy two finger head dies to to a thin layer of bubbles after a good while. Nice spotty lacing is left on the sides of the glass. Smell is espresso all the way blended with brownie batter and sweet creamy oatmeal. Oaky caramel and chocolate malts with hint of bourbon. Very complex aroma, I'm lovin' it. Black coffee flavors up front with a sweet caramel drizzled over chocolate ice cream. Vanilla extract and bitter earthy hops with a cocoa powder aftertaste. The bourbon is smooth and pleasant throughout, very enjoyable. Light to medium body with a slick feel, fits the style very well. Carbonation is subtle, but there. There's a lot going on with this beer but everything comes together so well. Very curious about the abv on this one because I put this down much too easy. I really need to get my hand on more beers from Tyranena. I hear their next release will be an IPA brewed with orange peel...someone needs to hook me up!! (1,114 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

Very dark in color, thin coco-y colored foam head. The aroma is of pungent coffee, sweet and chocolaty malt, and silky, milky oatmeal. The coffee really jumps out at you in the taste as well. Again a big roasty, chocolaty poter base to this beer. Caramelly, boozy, and a bit smokey whisky makes itself known, but is not exactly in your face like the coffee. Some tangy hops are detectable in the aftertaste. Medium to full bodied.

Overall: I am biased, beer, coffee, and whiskey are three of my favorite things so I love this beer. This is one coffee beer where you know for sure they brewed it with coffee at first sip. I tried this on-tap as well, I thought it seemed a bit sweeter and silkier like that, maybe the oatmeal was more pronounced. Anyway you have it, this is a good one. Tyranena, please keep experimenting with barrel aging, we will keep drinking. (864 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Jay23 for the opportunity to try this beer!

Good dark color with a steady inch+ of foam.

The aroma is damn good. I can smell some freshly roasted coffee, chocolate milk, toasted malts, hints of bourbon, wood, cocoa, vanilla, and hints of toffee. So far this beers seems to have been done right. The coffee isn't overwhelming or bitter like other coffee infused beers.

Taste is of bitter chocolate, toasted bread, coffee, nutty malts, and a warming bourbon finish. There's also some toasted oatmeal flavor in the middle. There is a good amount of chocolate flavor in this beer to balance the coffee and the oatmeal creates a smooth mouthfeel. Also has a flavor of chocolate oatmeal cookies, yum. The carbonation stings the tongue just a little bit, otherwise it would be near perfect.

I love coffee stouts and porters and now you age it in bourbon barrels and it gives it another layer of aroma and flavor. I like how the barrel aging doesn't over power the beer. (977 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

Firstly, this was on-tap at Happy Gnome and totally thru me for a loopy evening. So I had to search it out on the shelves. Alas, easily and happily enough found it.
Pours dark brown, settles quite black in the glass with a quick tanned, bubbly, spongey foam sitting about a finger high which fades fast to leave long stringy lacing stretched about.

Aroma is delecatablely yummy with strong yet well rounded coffee; cordailly bittered, roasted, and fully enveloped in creamy vanilla, chocolate and oatmeal cookies. The bourbon hint from the aging seaps in there after once it warms and adds one fine and thickly set touch to the aroma. Beautiful!

Taste is so smooth and creamy with quickly dry oat malt and semi sweet chocolate sweetness. Vanilla, cream, and deeper, darker set chocolate sweep in towards the finish as does the roasted scoop of coffee beans. Finish is tender and thickly rich with leftover chocolate notes drying along with oat sweetness and one liquidy center of creamy goodness. Very light touches of the bourbon and coffee interlace throughout each sip bringing a little different nuance each time.

Liquid chocolate mouthfeel on this yummy bad boy is outstanding delish. Lush, thickly set, creamy, easy going, tender, ungodly smooth, and with a tone all of its own that sets a mood quickly with sweet chocolatey lighting and aromas of roasted coffee.

I can and have drank a ton of this. And more will be on the bill any time I can find it. Drinkability is off the charts, but will sink in eventually...oh well, just as any great beer will do. But so worth it. I find this to be the little brother to the Goose Island Bourbon Cnty Stout and cousin to Founder's Kentucky Breakfast. A very fun family to be in I think! (1,739 characters)

12oz single, 3rd consumed out of a 4 pack

appearance: pours into a bells chalice, big black body with a creamy milk chocolate head and sticky retention - lovely

smell: dark roasted coffee, roasted oats, light bourbon, milky chocolate...a big roasty porter

taste: another sensational indulgence from tyranena...the bourbon isnt over powering and compliments the big roasted coffee flavors wonderfully. roasted oats and milk chocolate work wonders on this beer. I tend to forget i'm even drinking a porter as this tastes like it could have been crafted nearby at electric earth or barriques. gonna need more

mouthfeel: perfect, creamy and smooth

drinkability: through the roof (679 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to ThomasHardy for the 4-pack at DLD.

Poured an extremely dark brown bordering on black with a thin khaki head that dissipated to a thin ring with a small foamy patch in the middle. The smell starts off with coffee but gives way to a strong stiff bourbon and then a mellow chocolate and vanilla scent. The taste is amazing. It is everything the name says it is. There is a strong coffee taste that again gives way to the bourbon and chocolate with roasted malts. There is a slight hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is a little thin but this is a porter and not an RIS so it is spot on. This is just as good if not better than the KBS. It has all the great coffee and bourbon flavor but is less filling and easier to drink. (726 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

Big thanks to Atron67 for this great brew. Traded at DLD.

12oz. brown bottle, poured into a snifter. No dating.

A: Deep dark brown or black pour. 1 finger of dark khaki head forms and holds. Good lacing.

S: Rich coffee notes. Very potent with a bit of milky chocolate. Coffee isn't overly bitter but is very strong. Nice bourbon.

T/M: The bourbon comes out to play for a bit. Not aggressive, but plays nice with added woody notes. More of the aggressive coffee/chocolate pairing. The strong coffee bitterness is stronger in teh taste but not overdone.

D: Very easy to drink. Too easy to drink, lol. Man, I love coffee stouts and porters. Add bourbon, MMMmmm. (663 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Dark cola brown with a small rusty brown, off-white head. Aroma is UNREAL. Dark chocolate, bourbon, coffee, espresso, vanilla, and great big bolshy roasted biscuit malt. Taste is all coffee, espresso and bourbon with a nice roasty biscuity malt profile. NICE. Mouthfeel is smooth and lightly carbonated, but not too thick. Drinkability is really good as well. DaMn (364 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Coffee and beer, I have to try this.

This devilish brew pours a oil, black color into my glass. Not a whole lot of head, but a little brownish crown is there intially. The aroma is very complex and exciting. A strong coffee smell makes me think I just waltzed into a coffee house. This is followed by a faint bourbon aroma that makes me think of my dad enjoying a Jack and coke. This is followed by a chocolatey malty sweetness. Very inviting. The flavor just about knocks me on my ass. There is a fantastic coffee blast initially, followed by an almost Hershey syrup like chocolate flavor. There is a faint flavor of bourbon, but not too much. This is good for me, as too much bourbon makes me gag a bit. A slight bitterness finishes out the brew. There may or may not be hops in this based on the flavor. Either way I don't really care, its good. The mouthfeels is medium to thick and smooth. Finishes w/ a pillowy softness.

Coffee and beer is an excellent combination. I've had a few coffee/beer combos before this beer and this one is definitely the best. I'm not sure if the bourbon barrel aging really adds to this beer, I think it would be good without it. Overall it is very well balanced and very addictive. I'd have this for breakfast, but I'm afraid I'd get into trouble. A must try for any coffee or beer lover. (1,325 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Mully and ThomasHardy for hooking me up with this.

Pours oily black with a thick tan head that fades quickly leaving plenty of lacing.

Smell: Mostly coffee with sweet chocolate notes in the background with hint of vanilla and brown sugar.

Taste: Tons of coffee followed by vanilla and bourbon with an oaky finish. Creamy, Smooth and Rich. I love this. It's like KBS but with more coffee, less bourbon, and a bit lighter.

I just found out about Tyranena not too long ago and I've been blown away repeatedly by every BGW beer I've tried. (551 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%

Yesterday I got to drink a fresh Peche Mortel, and one of these. I thought it was a great day.

Poured a rich mahogany color with a very dark tan head with plenty of large bubbles that made it sparkle on top of this beauty. Head stays around for the entire time I let this one sit around. With every swirl of my glass more head clouds the glass in a very cool way. Aroma is oats, cocoa, espresso, vanilla, and light hints of bourbon without any burning alcohol. This one is all smooth. Taste is very complex with every sip bringing up different ingredients used here. Vanilla, then chocolate, then espresso, then dry oats and malt. Mouth feel is like silk with some bourbon warming sensations, but never an alcohol burn. This has taken one of my favorite beers (devil made me do it), and just made it better. (808 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

Blackest black...roasty brown head.

Fantastic aromatics, huge roasty lively rich and fresh coffee aroma...wow! Wow! For 6 am, this is an ideal beer! and then there's the whiff of the whiskey, lingering below. Earthy and alive...amazing.

Drinking it...Chocolate pops up, and the smooth, silky oatmeal feel...coffee comes back, and then comes the sweet bourbon. Good Lord, it's decadent! Sweet, slick, rich, bittersweet, a mystical elixir.
Jumps up and sips sweet succor into the mouth again and again, flavors joust and jockey for their place in the senses.
This is one of those rare beers that puts everything I like in one place. It sets me up just to knock me down. I'm gonna have to stock up on this one!
Delish... (722 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

Black body with a big whipped frothy brown head. The retention is outstanding. And lace comes in full sheets. The aroma is absolutely perfect. The coffee aroma is so thick and rich and decadent. And underneath that huge blanket lies some chocolate and roast. The mouthfeel is like silk. Smooth and velvety. Body is about medium or so. Slightly bitter coffee ground aftertaste. The coffee flavor is big and bold in this one. And it blends perfectly with the Imperial Oatmeal Porter base. Seems to be a heavy, dark roast. Sight notes of vanilla and cocoa. In all honesty, I don't get much bourbon or barrel quality in this beer. But who gives a shit?!?!This is the first coffee beer that I'd say can hold a candle to Bell's Java Stout. Hell, this candle might even be bigger. (773 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

Quite simply a delicious yet still very drinkable beer. Tons of coffee notes with a very pleasant chocolatey sweetness and some creaminess. Not at all challenging to drink. All the chocolate taste reminded me a bit of the best glass of chocolate milk I ever had. Mouthfeel was a bit thinner than I expected (although not inappropriately), so make that milk 1%-2% (not whole). A dark brown/black with a minimal head. A real treat you should seek out.

Had this on-tap at Sugar Maple. (482 characters)

A flat-out classic and I don't even like coffee style beers to start with.

Black with a whisp of a brown/red head...

Aroma is big-time coffee beans...kind of like putting some coffee beans in a plastic bag and then jamming your head into the bag and smelling them....Also some vanilla and fudge...the bourbon notes are not singularly evident on the nose.

Creamy, rich, big in body and smooth...great feel to this as I drink it.

The taste is rich and flavorful with the fudge, vanilla, caramel and finally the coffee beans blending perfectly. The aroma led me to think there would be a huge coffee taste but the blend with the vanilla, caramel and fudge is a work of art.

This may be the best Tyranena beer I have had and I am a big fan of this brewery. A beer I would love to have for breakfast will out in the woods frying some eggs by the campfire...one of these would be the perfect start to the day. (908 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours into my pint like a thick sludge. Small tan head at the top.
Man!, the smell on this is amazing! Huge coffee aromas, and something a little sweeter, like vanilla.
The taste on this is fan-frickin-tastic! Huge blast of coffee flavor assaulting my palate! Some chocolate flavor and again I can sense some vanilla.
This is a great beer. Not too heavy, very smooth. Infinitely drinkable. Hope this one comes around again. Yum. (430 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

I had this first on tap at the brewery, but then went ahead and bought a 4-pack while I was there. I do think it was a bit tastier at the brewery, but maybe that is atmosphere?

Rich black beer, maybe a finger of dark head. For me the aroma of this beer was all coffee, really thoroughly masking all other aromas. However, for me the taste was dominated by the bourbon. Certainly lots of burbon taste in the finish.

Between the coffee aroma and the bourbon flavor I had a hard time finding more subtle characters, but that was OK by me. Surprisingly drinkable despite the strong character. Really one of the best beers I've had this year. (639 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip. pours opaque black with a half finger of light brown head that has little to no retention. light lacings.

aroma is mainly of coffee, with a burnt quality and roasted malt mixed in. some chocolate and caramel notes are distant, overpowered by the coffee.

taste is of coffee up front, with a bit of roasted malt and the same burnt quality. finishes on a roasted note with a bit of the bourbon coming through, and a light chocolate note showing as well. just rich enough without over shooting the profile.

mouthfeel is full bodied with a thick and smooth texture. finishes with a bit of soft CO2 and a coffee coating after the fact.

drinkability is good. the coffee acts as the nucleus here, with the other flavors and aromas just filling in the gaps. cheers! (794 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

It pours like lava fudge and its utter blackness is only betrayed by a glint of magenta under a strong light. The head is short and tan, but resides the duration as a collar.
Fresh ground coffee nose. Loud as hell. Delicious smelling beans. Sweetened and tempered a bit from original The Devil Made Me Do It with vanilla and caramel nougat and cream, but Bourbon itself goes unmarked in the aroma. This is coffee, solely, and as such, this is gourmet.
It enters with that archetypal Tyranena fudge brownie/Tootsie Roll maltiness layered with marzipan. No sooner does it unfurl its plush malted sleeping bag into the mouth and gets comfy, then the razor sharp claws of the java cougar lunge upon it and tear it to shreds. Fresh ground Sumatran. Medium Dark. Vinous more from the beans than the ABV, earthy and spicy and continually chocolately. The Bourbon-barrel traits enter deftly and subtly, and only to provide a counterpoint sweetness. It's more blended and mild in its barreled flavors than most. The beans and dark roasty, semi-sweet malts still are in command, but are offset with oaken black cherry, hazelnut, and especially vanilla. Hops bring a contiguous bitterness in tow from the coffee essence, but only a minor spruce bark bump in flavor.
As with all of the Brewer's Gone Wild. This drinks like liquid dessert. Hugely creamy, thickened, and seemingly fattening for you, like pureed cheesecake or tiramisu, but still you clamor for more. Not particularly sessionable, but rather a brew to drink one a day after day after day.
Maybe I am biased because my three favorite beverages are Coffee, Beer, and Bourbon, and this showcases all three, and brings each ones' assets to the fore.
Regardless, this may well be the best BGW series yet. (1,754 characters)

Devil Over A Barrel - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Coffee Imperial Oatmeal Porter from Tyranena Brewing Company