Devil Over A Barrel - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Coffee Imperial Oatmeal Porter - Tyranena Brewing Company

Devil Over A Barrel - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Coffee Imperial Oatmeal PorterDevil Over A Barrel - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Coffee Imperial Oatmeal Porter

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Porter |  8.00% ABV

Imperial Oatmeal Porter. 60% Porter brewed with coffee beans and aged in bourbon barrels blended with 40% Porter brewed with coffee beans.

(Beer added by: DaPeculierDane on 04-10-2008)
4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured a deep brown with red edges, head faded to a slim ring.

Smells fantastic: coffee, chocolate malt, hazelnut, and caramel.

Tastes of coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon.

Mouthfeel silky smooth, minimal carbonation.

So so tasty. Most big coffee beers I've had have been stouts, nice to see a porter like this. Hopefully this will be brewed again, it was delicious.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to moose3285

Pours a dark molasses brown with a nice coffee head that later laced the glass.

Smell of nice espresso coffee, nutty malts, bitter and slightly acidic aroma but sweet from a nice malt presence.

Taste of coffee, chocolate, light caramel, light vanilla oak and bourbon hints. This is a very well rounded beer. There is a little bit of the acidic coffee presence, but not too much and I thought it was put together well, not overdone in any particular area. A little if not a tiny amount overdone on the black malt, there is a little too much ashy presence, which I tend to like to stay away from. Good light carbonation and a medium mouthfeel. 12 oz bottle was perfect on a Saturday afternoon watching the Yanks.

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Dark black with a thin a quickly disappearing head.

S: Deep coffee flavor with hints of bourbon. Great!

T: Amazing combination of coffee and bourbon. Very unique with a great blend of flavors.

M: Smooth, but with too low carbonation.

D: Excellent! Tastes heavy but goes down lighter than one would expect.

Overall: Another amazing brew from the guys at Tyranena. The coffee and bourbon flavors blend impeccably well but still do not overpower the beer itself. I loved this one!

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks to Azurelimits for opening this at a recent tasting. Also shared with bmanning, Amyliz4, and hhanson.

A: Pours a nice, deep black. Fairly oily. Nice tan head that thins out but always remains.

S: Loads of coffee (amazing how it's kept this for so long!), chocolate, bourbon, molasses, and roasted malt.

T: A decent amount of sweetness comes in to balance out the crazy combination of coffee, chocolate, and bourbon. Elegant complexity and the perfect balancing act between all the flavors. Nice notes of molasses and brown sugar in the background alongside a bit of roast.

M: Very nice. Medium bodied with lower carbonation leading to a nice smoothness.

D: Pretty intense all around. A great sipper.

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Delicious beer, incredible aroma. I would have loved to try a fresh bottle, but I have no complaints about it aged. Appearance and feel probably have gone down hill a bit, but the aroma and flavor have the wonderful melded character that comes from age. The beer pours black, ruby at the edges, with a very small, light brown, dissipating head. The aroma is chock full of chocolate, coffee, sweet mild bourbon, vanilla beans, oak, wood ash and pleasant alcohol heat. It's easily the best aroma on a porter I've encountered and up there even amongst impy stouts. The flavor is a bit hot but there's also lots of excellent aged malt sweetness, vanilla-y oak and a roasty bitter finish. The mouthfeel is a tad thin, but it coats the mouth, quite pleasantly. Wonderful.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Can't thank pwoods enough for putting this one in my Christmas box 2 years ago. Can't believe I was able to hold onto this one for so long....

Exceptionally dark brown, nearly black as midnight. Completely opaque liquid supports an initial 2 finger mocha fluffy head. It fades quickly to a swirly skim with a soft and full ring of lace that clings just along the walls of the glass. Spots of lace manage to hang around with each wash.

Really nice, mild bourbon in the aroma - not overwhelming or hot with alcohol in the nose at all. There's a nice powdery cocoa scent, roasted, charred coffee and the sweetness of vanilla. Smells creamy.

Most delicious and full-flavored beer. I suspect that the bourbon wasn't this smooth, mild and sultry in the fresher version, but it has aged to perfection in this beer. The sweetness seems to come straight from the oak, and the vanilla and charred flavors are incredibly complementary to the crunchy, roasted coffee beans. A nice, smooth bitterness comes from a dry, bittersweet cocoa powder taste, and there's a bit of sticky sweetness that reminds me a little of black licorice. Huge aftertaste of sweet caramel. The flavors are warm, full, chewy and smooth all at the same time. Feel is still pretty nicely carbonated. It's dry while being mouthfilling and just short of thick.

So drinkable, but I'm trying to take this one slow. May never get another chance. I was really interested to see how this porter would be in comparison to the usual barrel-aged imperial stout. This definitely stays true to porters in the lighter body and feel, as well as the crazy-good drinkability.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Pour is black with a thin head - slightly flat in appearance. The nose brings a hefty does of coffee accompanied by vanilla, dark fruit and a faint but pleasant booziness. Taste is much the same as the nose - blast of coffee, vanilla and bit more bourbon. Mouth feel is a creamy medium body. Nice beer that drinks well but I was hoping for a bit more punch.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Sick extra from heliosphann

Pours black with about a half finger of head with a fairly vigorous pour.

Smell is deep roasted coffee, hints of marshmallow and vanilla, some floral hops, and a bit of oak and bourbon in the background. I may have even missed the bourbon had I not known it was there.

Taste is mostly coffee. In the finish I get a nice little rush of vanilla. Not very bitter considering the high levels of coffee. This one has probably faded over time, there isn't much bourbon or oak left.

Mouthfeel is medium with low levels of carbonation. Very appropriate for the flavor profile.

The drinkability on this one is exceptional, I am plowing through this bottle quickly. I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and try this fresh because there is so much flavor here, I can only imagine how good it would be with a more pronounced bourbon aspect to add some complexity. It is still quite good right now, but probably not more so that its little brother The Devil Made Me Do It.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Stone Levitation glass.

A - Pours black, half a fingers worth of tan head which disipiates into a medium sized ring around the edge of the glass. Otherwise, there's just the blackness of the body and nothing more. No real lacing or retention left behind after the initial pour as well.

S - Coffee beans, chocolate, bourbon, and dark fruit. All very subtle, nothing that overwhelms me, all melds together well. It seems that this porter shows off all the aspects of the nose in the best ways possible. Very nice.

T - Well, I'm actually surprised that there isn't more here. I'm getting coffee and some bitter chocolate, but otherwise, it seems to be missing something here. Bourbon perhaps? I guess there's a very slight bourbon kick, but nothing that I can pick out really easy. I was expecting more here.

M - Light bodied (need a bit more here), a nice low carbonation, smooth and rich, creamy finish (perhaps a bit dry).

D - Very easy to drink, although I would like more bourbon and would like to review it again a little more fresh.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%

I regret that at the time I was getting into Tyranena I was head over heals with The Devil Made Me Do It! and this bourbon-barreled version couldn't even be found on the dustiest of shelves.

I'm up late, why not let the devil out on the eve of christmas, this pour is for you old geez.

A: Poured into a immaculately cleaned and free of any traces of soap Surly Darkness snifter. The beer looks immediately dark and the head rose to about 2 cm and retained itself for a good half minute. The top of the beer has a good caramel saliva look to it on top. Ring of burnt sienna foam and some extroverted lace. Completely opaque body with the only lightest hints coming out if you shone it in front of a spotlight. Great considering the age, especially with it's silky motor-oil look.

S:The beer has a pleasant roastedness, caramel covered chocolates, and maltose sweetness. The overall the biggest component is the roasted coffee nose that pops out. Surprised that there are not bigger bourbon particles hitting me in the face and making me want to raise my glass and shout at the devil. Perhaps it's because I had fresh Breakfast Stout on tap, but the nose fails to dominate my senses, but is quite good. I am sure the coffee would have been brighter with a fresher bottle.

T: My first impression is where is the bourbon being a big fan of bourbon, but I'm judging this as a porter still and can't pick on the beer for that. Up front it lactose like sweetness that silkily transforms itself into a wave of bitterness that finish on the whole tongue with roasted coffee and sweetness. The sweetness on the finish is really pleasant and maybe it's created, but there seems to be a little barrel dryness in the finish.

M: From the pour I knew that I would like this beer. Silky, smooth, yet viscous at the same time. Like a well blended synthetic oil this beer gets the job done. Yum.

D: I really like the base porter, the bourbon elements are not enough to separate this beer into the stratosphere. I just wish I could do a side by side tasting with both at the same age. Definitely no chump. Great beer. Viva la coffee!

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into Darkness snifter.

Pours about 1/2 finger of chocolate milk colored head. Fades down quickly to a ring around the edge of the class and leaves some slight splattered lace. Color is a midnight black.

Aroma: Tons of fresh coffee beans, caramel, vanilla, chocolate, roasted malt flavors. There are some earthy hops that balance it out a bit. I am really not getting very much of the bourbon flavors here, but the aroma is simply amazing.

Taste: Coffee straight up front. Then the chocolate, caramel, and vanilla kick in with the bourbon notes. A nice amount of earthy hops again. Lots of roasted malt flavors. The taste ends with a nice oak flavor. Very nice tasting beer.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, a tad crisp. The aftertaste brings some heat along with it. Medium to full bodied with lower amount of carbonation.

Overall, a very great tasting porter. I wish I would have gotten a lot of this when it was first released. It is pretty drinkable, but at the same time pretty filling.

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%

2008 Bottle received in a trade with FlandersNed thanks!

Appearance: Pours opaque with minimal head, retention or lace.

Smell: Well melded hints of bourbon chocolate and roast coffee.

Taste: Deep roast malt and coffee, dark chocolate and a strong nuttiness. Not much astringency or bitterness which is surprising considering the amount of coffee and dark chocolate flavor. This is melded and mellowed nicely.

Mouthfeel: Oatmeal smoothness is always a welcome thing in my book. The dark chocolate flavor works well with the lushness of the mouthfeel. Carbonation is slightly mellow but works PERFECTLY!

Drinkability: All day!

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Bottle acquired via trade. Wow. This was the first Tyranena I've had and it was really impressive.

Black in color with a one-finger beige head.

Lots of coffee on the aroma, along with roast, chocolate, and barrel notes. Mmm, -bal aging...

Flavor is fresh coffee city with chocolate, roasted malt, vanilla, oak, bourbon, and spice.

Well-balanced with a medium-full body and pretty smooth mouthfeel with just a little coffee astringency.

Drinkability is very high.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Received this bottle in a trade with kryptic. Definitely excited to try this one!

A- Pours a jet black with a finger of fizzy, dark brown head. Head dissipates rather quickly unfortunately leaving just a small ring around the top.

S- Smells are of sweet, roasted coffee beans and heavy aromas of chocolate and vanilla. A bit boozy, but not much. Very pleasant, reminds me of KBS to be honest.

T- Taste is the same as the smells but the flavors seem more watered down than the aromas. Finishes off a bit sweet.

M- Silky smooth with a medium-heavy body. Adequate amounts of carbonation.

D- Surprisingly high for the 8% ABV. This one was an easy sipper and left me wanting more.

Thanks again, Mike!

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

Received from Kryptic in a recent trade. 12oz bottle poured into a Cigar City snifter. Lately I have been on a coffee beer kick, so let's see if this one gives me the fix I'm looking for.

DOaB pours black with the thinnest brown head that quickly dissipates, leaving almost nothing but a tiny ring around the glass. The tiniest bit of lacing sticks around.

This beer smells un-freaking-believable. I let it sit for a while before diving in, and just before this one hits room temperature it opens up, reavealing layers of deliciousness. Sweet caramel/ maple syrup gives way to a hint of bourbon followed by a faint roasted coffee and chocolate. Not exactly a cup of joe, but it smells so good that doesn't matter.

The taste is wonderful. Delicious vanilla and caramel sweetness, followed by a sweet milk chocolate. The coffee is all but completely lost, peaking in at the finish to let me know it's in there.

The mouthfeel was silky smooth, but almost a bit thin for my taste. I have to remind myself this is a porter and not an impy stout in my hand, but still I could use a bit more richness. The flavor comes and goes with a nearly clean finish.

Drinkability is good for this one, and most likely enhanced by the thin body. Not a breakfast beer by any means, DOaB is no slouch when it comes to barrel-aged coffee greatness.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

12oz screw-off snubby bottle. Served in a Pint glass. Ended up with several of these from multiple traders (some as extras). Big thanks to those guys.

A: A small brown head which fades quickly. Pours very, very dark. Upon close inspection there's a lot of small particles, and some surprising carbonation going on. In fact looking down at the top of my glass with my flashlight, it's quite mesmerizing. The carbonation is bubbling up and creating some captivating patterns. Lacing is also quite good.

S: Blast of roasted coffee. Some bittersweet chocolate. Maybe the slightest hint of bourbon and vanilla. Not much more than that though...

T: Roasted coffee with a lot of big milk chocolate action. Some roasted malts round out the middle. Finishes with some sweetness and bourbon notes. Not as complex as I thought it would be, but still tasty. In fact as the beer warmed up, I thought it actually suffered some.

M: Initially I though the mouthfeel was amazing, but as it warmed up it seemed to get a little thinner. Still the carbonation and oatmeal smoothness made it very pleasant.

D: Very good. The 8.0 ABV is not really noticeable and the oatmeal and solid carbonation helps it go down easy. The residual bitterness does stick around and one of these is all I'd want to drink.

I'd heard that DOAB isn't quite as good as it used to be and I think that might be true. I was expecting it to be a little more complex, or to feature the bourbon a little more. All in all though, it's still a very solid beer. Almost more of a lighter stout than a Porter. I'd love to see Tyranna revisit this so I could taste it fresh.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%

"A shot of espresso, will you? I had a long night yestereve. Go ahead and throw me a shot of bourbon as well."
It arrives, a dense black with a mocha-tan head, the perfect looking espresso, thick and dark. Doesn't leave anything on the walls of the glass.
Pour them together, take a whiff...
Mmmm, the espresso smells freshly-roasted, the bourbon adding a tinge of oak barrel sour behind a huge mask of molasses, but the coffee is the main event.
"Long night of drinking, eh? Trying to end that hangover quick-like?"
"No, little drinking last night, simply talking to my love, she's across the continent right now... I don't suppose I'll see her for a while, what with her in school and me in the factory six days a week. Still, I like a good shot of bourbon with the old espresso... wakes you up but keeps you loose as well."
So dive in then, take a sip.
Creamy-smooth, thick, with bourbon notes all over, tons and tons of fresh coffee beans, a swath of chocolate there, a good bit of oak-barrel.
Just enough carbonation to add to the creaminess, a warmth in the finish, oily clinging to the center of the throat.
"Well then. I'll see you on the morrow I suppose."
I grab my coat and hat, stroll towards the door. It swings open and a tall silhouette against the stairs behind... Shapely... The long hair framing her beautiful face...
"You're here? How did you..."
"I've decided that you're more important to me. I'm here to be with you."

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

12oz bottle shared with Viggo - another gem from the man.

Pours a jet black with rings and splotches of a deep chocolate head. Looks great.

Nose is an integration of earthy coffee, spicy bourbon, sweet caramel and rich roasting malts. Nothing overly bold, everything seems to be in on the balancing act.

The taste is in line with the nose - balanced and round. Hints of smoky porter roll with rich bourbon notes, lots of coffee to fill out the body along with a rich brown sugar/molasses, roasting malts make an appearance but not nearly as bold as one might expect, though this is more in line with a porter. Rich flavor, smooth carbonation, luxurious in the mouth, hint of warming in the finish.

Pretty delicious stuff. Perhaps a bit lower on the drinkability score due to the ABV and richness but a true sipper for those cool nights.

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

Pulled from the fridge with excitement.

A - Black, hmmmm...didn't expect that.

S- Terrific. Sweet bourbon, dark malts, dark chocolate and coffee. Very appealing.

T- Muted but nice bourbon greets you ate the door, and coffee says hello and directs you down the hall where chocolate drop kicks you to the turf.

M - Fine

D - Easy to find your glass empty in a hurry.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

This is the first review I've decided to do this way, the short way. While I feel that beer reviews are useful...I think that my brief raw feelings toward a beer is more useful.

Brewers Gone Wild Bottle poured into an oversized Duvel glass on 9/8/09

Appearance - black, tan head, 1 finger head, light carbonation

Smell - bitter chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, complex

Taste & Feeling - Smooth sweet chocolate, coffee, sweet roasted malt, medium to heavy mouthfeel, smooth drinker, but still a cokplex sipper

Overall 5 words - delicious, coffee, smooth, drinkable, I wish this wasn't a one time only beer

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Kegatron sent me this bottle in the mail because he is a stud.

Pours an evil jet black with an espresso tan head, around 1.5 finger widths of smooth, creamy foam. Foam dissipates really quick and leaves a thin little ring behind. A little bit of lacing each time I bring it up for a sip but it doesn't stick around very long.

Wow! Definitely up there among the best smelling beers I've ever had. Milk chocolate, cocoa powder, toffee, vanilla, cherries, coffee, roastyness, caramel. If you really inhale you get a big bourbon note smacking you in the face.

The taste is quite balanced between the bourbon and the beer, which is a direct result of 60% of it being bourbon barrel aged, and 40% of it fresh. This makes for a lot of complexity, and makes it easy access to the porter flavors up front. Quite sweet at first, bringing a ton of milk chocolate and caramel. Mid-range is dominated by freshly scraped vanilla beans and faint cherries. Migrates towards coffee, then bourbon and some surprisingly vibrant hops to finish.

Mouthfeel is a little thin for me, I wish this was a little more carbonated, and also a little chewier. All in all though, it's pretty creamy, almost like a milky consistency, which feels nice.

Pretty easy drinking, at first I was getting some heat at the end, but as it warmed up it's finishing pretty smooth.

4.18/5  rDev -3%

Always cheery to see that bright yellow lable with grade school sketches. Great packaging and marketing. Inviting even before you know what the beer is about.

The beer pours with a very dark brown and complete opaqueness. Light on carbonation, the turbulent pour releases the daintiest foamstand that settles into a soft mousse creme, much like that of a well built espresso. Slight lacing and legging on the glass.

Strong aromas of nutty and woodsy coffees give the impression of Sumatra, Kona, and Columbian beans. Not extending into espresso aromas, but toasty and bitter throughout. Coffee notes waver at times, giving me a glimpse of strong maltiness that could be either a Porter or a Stout. Soft milky sweetness rides deep in the nose along with caramels, licorice, and raisons.

Flavors of caramel, molassas and toffee set the tone for sweetness, but the foreground doesn't last long. The roastiness of the highly kilned barley and coffee quickly impeeds upon the malty tast and give complex Stout and French Roast flavors and bitterness. Still, the esters from the yeast offer a nice, subtle, and compex fruitiness to give rise to the caramelized malts again in the end.

Silky and velvety to the mouth, and maybe thinned somewhat by the coffee bitterness and alcohol dryness; giving doubts to the self proclaimed 'imperial' notion to the beer. Very easily drinkable due to varying dryness compounds from both the arid roasted barley and the bitter coffee.

The beer could be considered a stout if not for the restraint shown not to overwhelm the great coffee nuances. Soft, creamy, and smooth despite such aggression from the coffee notes. Very well done.

Thanks JMBSH!

3.75/5  rDev -13%

Beer poured from a bottle courtesy of Todd and the White Whale. Thanks! Poured into my Piraat glass with a very thin tan head that dissipates quickly leaving a small ring around the outside of the glass. Color is very dark yet slightly opaque, right on par with what a porter should be. Smell is almost all coffee and oak at first, almost entirely overpowering any malt that is present. There is a slight chocolate malt smell, but I had to really try hard to get anything other then the coffee. The taste is much more balanced, with some nice dark malts coming through and just the right amount of oak and very little bourbon. The coffee adds just the right amount of bitterness. The alcohol is covered up well and each sip leaves a smokey aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a little too thin in my opinion but suits the style well and has the silky oatmeal characteristic. Overall a very drinkable imperial brew.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Bottle. Pours brown with a small ring of head. Aroma of coffee beans, roasted malt, and roasted nuts. Wow, awesome coffee aroma!! Flavor is not quite as powerful--more coffee, bourbon, roasted nuts, iced tea, and sweet malt. A touch sweet. A nice example of a bourbon-aged beer that is NOT dominated by the bourbon. Great coffee beer (although the aroma is better than the flavor).

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

thanks to vwcraig, i believe, for including as an extra. (correct me if i'm wrong.)

12oz bottle. no date. tasted in mid/late april 2009

almost opaque black, some translucent brown under the light. pale brown head soon fades to thin layer, then wisps, then just foamy ring. lacing never sticks however.

aroma: blast of vanilla, then fresh roasted coffee! wow! almost like a hazelnut latte! touch of earthiness, touch of milk chocolate. more pleasantly gentle vanilla.

taste is a bit subdued and almost watered down in comparison. vanilla notes are much lighter, showing more of the oak and bourbon. coffee note is also less, giving way to roasted malts, burnt caramel, and earthy hop. moderate bitterness and light acidity, very coffee-like, prominent in both the finish and aftertaste.

light to medium body, smooth at first, then more astringent and tannic towards the end. mild to moderate carbonation helps with flavor lift.

one of the easier-drinking bourbon beers out there

Devil Over A Barrel - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Coffee Imperial Oatmeal Porter from Tyranena Brewing Company