Scurvy - Tyranena Brewing Company

ScurvyScurvy

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Beer added by: younger35 on 06-25-2008

IPA brewed with orange zest. Available: May-June.
2.5/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

copper toned body with some soft off white head.
The nose is like sweet sugar coated oranges.
A sweeter IPA, not very bitter, reminds me of those orange slices candy my grandma used to have. Simple and shallow.
mouthfeel is medium to full for a 6.5% IPA.

nothing off, but not really desirable. (295 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

Kegatron sent me this bottle. Hooray Kegatron!

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tumbler at around 45 degrees F. Dark orange amber body topped by a 1/2 inch off-white finely textured head. Quite a bit of floaty bits, may actually be the orange zest... Bubbles rising from the bottom. Decent retention, spotty lacing.

Smells like butterscotch, pine, grapefruit, orange peel, caramel, and heavy bready malts. Sort of a weird combination, but not bad...

Quite a good bit of caramel and bread pudding, followed by butterscotch. The orange zest is definitely apparent here too, and makes me think they used a little too much. Contrasting with the rather heavy malt flavor is a lot of grapefruit and raw undefined bitterness. Pine and spice finishes things up. Again, a little all over the place.

Fairly heavy feel, but maintains a good carbonation level and oilyness. Grainy feel, almost as if I'm eating the orange zest directly...

Finding it rather difficult to drink. It's cloyingly bitter, and lacks the beautifully hoppy flavors to go along with that bitterness that I am used to. Additionally, I just don't like what the orange zest is doing, and don't find it complementary. On top of all that, I don't really like the butterscotch flavors in IPA at all, very out of place for me. This beer needs some serious refinement and suffers from a lack of focus. (1,360 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -28.4%

pour a burnt orange color with 1/2 " head and good lacing thru-out the smell is of burnt citrus and malt and honey..the taste is just average it starts with a burnt orange taste followed by a bitter hop taste i dont detect pine or citrus/floral tastes of ipas i dont taste alot of orange either for a brew called scurvy.... this ipa is ok drinkable but i dont recommend it. ipas are my favorite style but this one was just not that good (436 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -27.6%

Tyranena makes Hop Whore...'nuff said. Scurvy is a near miss from a great brewery. poured into a pint a satisfyingly cloudy golden orange with a wispy head of thin foam and a long display of lace. The smell is of citrus but less distinct than advertised. As with many Tyranena offerings the hops dominate the flavor with pine and sharp spice striking first. The citrus flavor is faint and hints not at the flavorful zest, but the bitter white pith below. The brewer seems to have toned down the malt to make room for the orange, and this leads to a hugely imbalanced offering where the hops overrun everything, and not in a good way (said the hophead). A fine IPA with some good flavor, but not enough special "oomph" to justify inclusion in the Brewers Gone Wild" series. (772 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -26.8%

From a bottle that looks a bit different than the one shown (as of 05.24.2011): apparently Scurvy has graduated from the Brewers Gone Wild into a regular brew. Poured into a straight pint glass.

A – Orange to light brown, perfectly clear, with about an inch of yellowish head after a fairly aggressive pour. Dissipates within sixty seconds, leaving some strong lacing above the liquid and a tiny film of bubbles. The head itself was fairly loose and big-bubbled.

S – Definitely smell the orange, which is distinct in the smell from the hops, which are more of the grassy variety, methinks. A pretty strong, inviting citrus smell.

T – Nose is fairly typical IPA-ish, somewhat grassy and lemony, but not committed enough for my admittedly particular tastes. The body picks up with a stronger bitterness, unbalanced by sweetness until faint notes of grapefruit and, duh, orange trickle in. Very obvious orange peel in the finish, almost makes me want to pick strings out of my teeth.

M – Thinner than I'd like, but typical of the style. Seems a bit undercarbonated, at any rate.

D – Well, I have a whole six-pack of this, so I'm dedicated to liking it, but I'm not happy about how hard I'm trying. Honestly, this is my first IPA in many months, so perhaps that is affecting my judgment. So, for now, plus 0.5 for likely human error, and I'll try again with one of the others after a few weeks of drinking IPAs I already know I like. (1,444 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -25.8%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

I didn't think I'd ever be happy when I said "My brother got scurvy," but that's what happened when I looked in the fridge last night. This stuff pours a clear brass topped by a finger or so of white foam. Since I let it sit for a few minutes following the pour, I found a healthy layer of sediment at the base of the beer. Hmm. The nose comprises orange zest, light lemon zest, and a touch of mint. It's all pretty faint, though. The taste holds notes of orange peel, lemon rind, light coriander, and very light caramel. The body is a hefty light, with a very light moderate carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, a kinda sad, limp IPA. I wouldn't go anywhere near saying it's as bad as its namesake, but I can easily say I was decidedly disappointed. (806 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -22.8%

I was not a huge fan of this beer's execution. I got this as a generous extra in a trade, and I couldn't wait to try it. I found myself amazed at the color, and head, both of which allowed some orange, caramel color into it.

The taste for me was not ultra-impressive, and I really love hops. I am not afraid of the hoppiness at all in most beers. The beer was more tart than hoppy. A bit sour-ish mixed with the piny hops really, to me, fell short. If this beer were a desert, I think I'd return it--like a key lime pie that doesn't mature and lose a bit of the tart, this beer sucks the moisture out of the palate, and the taste, to me, is not great enough to pull this score up higher. (688 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -22.5%

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. Thanks go out to markhvizdak for including this in our trade.

A: Clear copper body with a solid cap of creamy off-white head. Good retention and some nice lace. Attractive.

S: More malty than hoppy, with caramel + brown sugar on top of some grapefruit, orange, and herbal notes. Ok, but a little forgettable.

T: Tons of caramel malt up front, in the middle, and on the tail end as well. Some fruitiness is certainly present, but it strikes me as grapefruit and apricot more than orange. Very, very sweet for an IPA. Some latent bitterness finally shows up on the aftertaste, but it's too late to 'pologize - this one's an over-sweet malt-bomb.

M: Slightly syrupy, lightly carbonated body. If anything, the body enhances the sweetness.

O: There's nothing particularly wrong with this beer as far as off flavors go (and in that way it's a step up from the terrible bottle of Bitter Woman I had last year), but I really can't say that it's anything better than average for the style - it's just too sweet to be interesting. I was hoping for more than sugaaarrrggh from Scurvy.

Cheers! (1,119 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -21%

I got one of these as an extra from jojomdma....thanks very much for this. I love Ipas with citrus notes, so I am guessing this one is going to be no problem. The appearance is sort of a dirty, cloudy orange color, with not a whole lot of heading. As soon as I poured it in to my glass, I could smell hops from a few feet away. As I got in closer I could really get the orange peel coming through, along with some nice mild spice, and even a little bit of cream. The hop flavor is not as citrus filled as I would have liked. They are definitely heavy, but come off dirty and unbalanced in some places. Mouthfeel is medium, quite hoppy, and rather spicy. The drinkability is about average for me as far as an IPA...I don't love it but I do not really hate it either. Not too bad of a beer from Tyranena, but I don't think I would seek it out. Cheers (848 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Looks like a bright semi cloudy IPA. Excellent carbonation with a head that sticks around.

S: Smells like citrus from the orange peel faint hop notes but only because the citrus over powers them. I can detect a faint alcohol smell.

T: Tangy fruit and a nice hop character. I like this but I think it smells better than it tastes. Its refreshing though.

M: Carbonation prickle, on par with the run of the mill IPAs out there.

O: This is good and I will drink it if its around but probably wouldn't look for it again. I'd rather had a Two Hearted. (552 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a dark amber in color with a half inch of head forming on the pour. There's plenty of sticky lacing on the side of the glass as the beer recedes.
Smell is citrus hops, but there's a fairly sizable amount of malt supporting. You can actually smell the citrus/orange. Taste is very balanced. A citrusy IPA meets a huge american barleywine. This beer tastes a lot bigger than it actually is, interesting. Very creamy and smooth in the mouthfeel. Incredibly smooth. Not what I was expecting, but it's a welcomed surprise. (523 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -17%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. It pours a hazy light amber color and forms a 1/8 inch light tan head reducing to a nice lacing. Definite sediment and some carbonation visible.

The aroma has a faint citrus hops that does not seem to stand out. A hint of citrus with some odd orange rind aroma. A touch of caramel.

The taste has the friendly confines of citrus hops and again that orange rind component. The caramel malt sweetness comes through a little more here.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a crisp carbonation. There is a bite to the bitterness that leaves a dry astringent feel.

This is an interesting beer. I like some parts of it and don't like others. It stands out in uniqueness, but does not hit my palate right. The bitter components make it hard to have a whole lot. (791 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -15.9%

Appearance: Nice copper tone, but the carbonation is flat and there is no foam or lacing.

Smell: Strong orange peel. Not much else. A bit to strong.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is more strong orange peel. Mouthfeel is quite flat. I might have gotten an old bottle.

Overall Drinkability: A very, very average IPA. I would rather try this on tap. (342 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -15.9%

From a light brown 12oz bottle - Pours a clear orange/red color with small quickly dissipating head. Below average carbonation. Smells sweet with a lot of orange peels notes going on here and a tad of hops. First sip is very mild and with a nice bitterness. Fairly balanced between the hops and malts. Medium light bodied, makes for a pleasant brew. Excellent bitter finish. (374 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -15.2%

Thanks to Jeff for this beer.

A: The pour is a fairly clear amber color with a finger of white head.

S: Lots of citrus aroma, which was to be expected considering this was brewed with orange peel. There is a bit of sweet tropical fruit and caramel malts.

T: The flavor is surprisingly bland. Definitely some bitterness with most of it coming from the orange peel. Not much hop bitterness or flavor. Some toasted malts and a bit of sweet bread.

M: Medium in body with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Probably the first beer from Tyranena I've had that I didn't like. (572 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -14.7%

A - Very light, pale orange color with a thin, clingy head and tiny lacing.

S - All kinds of bright fruits make up the aroma, namely peaches, apples, citrus and berries. Some of these may be coming from the hops, others form spices. Nice summery smell.

T - More bitter then anticipated. Much of the fruit from the aroma is found in the flavor as well. Only enough malt sweetness to balance.

M/D - Creamy and crisp beer that would probably go great with hot and spicy wings! (477 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%

This beer pours a burnt pumpkin orange with a one finger, frothy, creamy head with a moderate amount of sediment floating around. It looks great. The smell is of subdued oranges, slight hops, and sweet malt. The flavor is pretty average though. It tastes like a wet hopped IPA with subdued citrus fruit. It's alright. The mouthfeel is pretty good. It's both smooth and has moderate carbonation. It's not perfect but above average. This beer is alright but I wouldn't seek it out. I like the name but the beer isn't as good as Tyranena's other offerings. (553 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%

Another awesome bottle received from pochman in a recent trade. Huge thanks!

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a darker amber/orange. There's a huge billowy off-white head resting on top. Retains very well; leaves lots of clinging lace and rings. At first whiff, this beer has lots of citrus notes present. Some orange zest, lemon, grapefruit. But the nose fades quickly, leaving some light caramel and spice.

The mouth is smooth with ample carbonation. The flavor is a bit average. I see that this is a rotating release, so I wonder what the date is on this one [?]. The hops are pretty muted, with some mild bitterness. The malts have surfaced instead, with notes of toffee and caramel. The orange is surprisingly muted as well. Not as much citrus as expected. Drinkability was decent though, as it was a good enough beer, just not what I was expecting. (868 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received in trade as an extra. 12 oz bottle

Pours a deep orange body with a 1/4" head that faded to a thin head that stays floating on the top of the beer through out the span of the beer. Smells orangey, piney, Tastes super bitter on the tongue. There are better IPA's out there but this is pretty good. (305 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -13.9%

12oz stubby.
A) Pours with a finger thick head. Copper in color with active carbonation. Mostly clear body - slight chill haze. Thin sticky lacing on the drink down.
S) Earthy citrus with some piney notes, almost cannabis aroma.
T) Earthy hops and bite upfront. Bitterness stays all the way through. Malt sweetness eeks its way in but not completely integrated with the hops. Lingering piney bitterness in the finish and beyond.
M) Fizzy and crisp up front. Medium body. Dry tannin finish.
O) A decent brew. The hops are a bit much. The bitterness is on par with an ESB. (570 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -12.7%

I enjoyed this from a stubby 12oz brown bottle poured chilled into a tulip.

A golden amber shade like orange tea with small cap of light tan spots of lace stick to the glass. The smell comes of as fruity, not necessarily hoppy, but slightly baby aspirin orange rind is a possibility with some sweet candy tinges from the malt and mild rind/peel scent from the orange. The mouthfeel is fruity with some sweetness in the back with a grassy tannic bitter edge with slight resinous and astringent quality with semi-sweet finish and moderate carbonation which helps.

The flavor does have a dominant bitter orange quality, slight grassiness with some mild caramel malt sweetness toning somewhat with a gentle light sweetness that carries over to the finish. The peel gives an interesting flavor to the ipa, but the hops are a little on the grassy/astringent side which seems to distract from the spice addition. Overall this is a good Ipa, it is a nice take on the style and adding orange peel gives it a little edge of something extra but I prefer more hop flavor, this has a sharp bitterness that distracts in the flavor in my opinion. (1,136 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -12.4%

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A: bright orange, almost apricot color with a finger of bubbly white foam. the foam settles into a nice ring around the glass and on the surface. lacing is strong as well. lots of sediment present.

S: from reading a few other reviews, I was really expecting strong citrus and hoppy flavors in the aroma, but I'm simply not getting much at the outset. I thought maybe I was developing a cold, but my wife couldn't detect much either. as it warms, I begin to detect subtle orange, honey and floral hops aromas, but still only subtle at that.

T: mostly hops, with subtle citrus notes. as with the aroma, the orange flavor grows stronger as the beer warms, but the hoppy bitterness is dominant throughout. a bit of toasty malt is present, but certainly not enough to balance the hops (which isn't necessarily a bad thing- I like my hops).

M: mouthfeel is about what I expected for the style- smooth and medium bodied with hop bitterness that really lingers on the tongue, though not quite as much in the back of the throat like other IPAs. has a little bit of a dry kick at the back end and is sticky on the lips.

D: overall an enjoyable IPA, though I was expecting a bit more in the aroma category given what I'd heard and read. Scurvy wouldn't immediately jump to mind if asked for a list of my favorite American IPAs, but I'd have no problem throwing back 3 or 6 of these on a warm midwestern summer day while cooking up brats and burgers on the grill. (1,503 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks Santa (Deuane) for this want
Bottle poured into a snifter produced a finger worth of off white head that turned into a thick lace and slid down the glass. The body of the brew was Hazy orange /amber in color.

Aromas were balanced in their profile (maybe the bottle age) the hops and malts hitting my nose where very equal. Alas no orange detected at all.

Flavors are sweet and bitter at the same time .Again I go with the word balanced. Nice malt sweetness followed by a hop bitter and a dry finish

Drinkability is good. I go for a few of these with a spicy meal. I wish the orange was a little more prevalent in the brew considering it was the selling point for me. (678 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Golden brown in color with a light head that lasts a long time.

Smell is of malt and a suprising light citrus, almost none. I would have thought there would have been more citrus aroma.

Same with the taste malt and yeast with a little hint of orange. Slightly dry.

I would call this an ok beer. (337 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Thanks to drewone for sharing this one at jmgrub’s tasting.

Pours a clear honey orange with a foamy tan head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of citrus fruit and citrus zest. Taste is of citrus fruit, citrus zest, and slight malt. There is a mild bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a very citrusy presence. (516 characters)

Scurvy from Tyranena Brewing Company