Ancient Aztalan Brown Ale - Tyranena Brewing Company

Ancient Aztalan Brown AleAncient Aztalan Brown Ale

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

English Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-09-2002)
Reviews by Skidz:
Skidz

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

This review is already dwindled by that of TheLongBeachBum, good lord. ;)

Pours out a light golden brown and sits deep amber brown in the glass. A small off-white head pops up from the pour, but fades down to a light skimming on the surface.

Smells quite malty, very delicious, like walking into a fudge shop. Caramel and a real nice chocolaty aroma rise from the body of the beer. Super attractive nose, perfect for catching your attention.

Taste on the other hand...dissapointing. Similar to Tyranena's Porter, this Brown brings in a citric sourness that is easily distinguished. Brown sugar and powdered chocolate flavors bring in some juice to the overall dissapointing start.

Smooth and rich feeling in the mouth, with a light carbonation. A great feel for a brown ale, but it just doesn't deliver. Still, that nose makes me want to keep thinking it tastes better.

06-29-2004 03:20:09 | More by Skidz
ADR

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

Reddish brown, clearish, good light transmission -- attractive. Soft 1/4 inch head and nice lacing qualities. Nose is malty and agreeable, some dry chocolate tones and even a sense of finishing hops. Flavor is pleasant, sweet Hershey bar and subtle butteriness. Body leans toward thinnish. Dries with a better-than-expected hopiness late in the profile, almost becomes a little hot. Highly drinkable, light on the tongue but a good deal more to it than many Brown Ales...

12-23-2003 16:41:22 | More by ADR
cokes

4.38/5  rDev +15%

Pours a glass the color of tarnished copper (without the green oxidation). Looks like an old penny. Pale khaki head starts impressive and slowly fades to a substancial film.
Smells slightly roasted and bitter. A little of that soapy, hard-waterness I get out of most of Tyranena's stuff. It is more distinctive than distracting. Still nice smelling.
Taste begins malty. Starts off somewhat roasted and becomes nutty before finishing with faint chocolate hues. Faint carmel sweetness pops up here and there. Juicy Hops jump in at the end to wipe things up with some slight citric and woody notes. Finishes quite dry with some bitterness. Ghostly roastedness lingers.
Medium bodied and fills the mouth well. Leaves no tastebud untouched. Seems to thin just a little as it sits.
A well done brew here. Brown Ales aren't usually my thing, but I will pick this up from time to time.

Update 08/03/02 Actually, the more I drink this...the more I like it. I've nudged up some of my rankings a bit. Probably one of my favorite browns. A very enjoyable session.

07-09-2002 21:13:20 | More by cokes
Golden2wenty1

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

Thanks to battlekow for leaving this rare gem in my fridge a month or two ago. Apparently it is no longer in production and I've never seen it in stores so I believe it. The date on the bottle is "22JUL04", so yeah I'm about a year off, but I was pleasantly surprised with a non-vile brew.

Pours a dark amber/red/brown with a half inch off-white head that dies rather quickly with some lacing. Smell is caramel/toffee malt, and some sour/spicy hops. Taste follows suit, a nice balance between roasted caramel/coffee malts and spicy hops, especially hoppy for a brown. Mouthfeel is velvety smooth. Highly drinkable, it's a shame it seems to be defunct, gone the way of its namesake ancient city. I feel lucky to be one of the very last to enjoy this tasty brown.

08-08-2005 05:09:46 | More by Golden2wenty1
battlekow

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

I'm not sure, but I think this beer was retired by Tyranena in favor of Rocky's Revenge Bourbon Barrel Brown; at any rate, I haven't seen it anywhere in Milwaukee except for two lonely six-packs at Grapes & Grain. It's fun to think that I might be drinking one of the last bottles of this stuff. Anyway, it's a cherry-tinted deep brown, looks nice. Doesn't smell like much, but what it does smell of is unpleasant: roasted vegetables is as close as I can get to describing it. Tastes pretty good, a nice roasted, chocolately flavor. Overall, a very decent brown ale, but nothing special. I doubt anyone is going to miss this if indeed it has been retired.

07-15-2005 01:45:33 | More by battlekow
TheLongBeachBum

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

Presentation: 12 ounce rather squat brown glass bottle. Neck label is generic in presentation and has a date of ‘04DEC03’ on it in black print. The main label lists the beer as ‘Ancient Aztalan Brown Ale’ and has a picture of the old stone walled city of Aztalan. Lots of marketing blurb to the left of the label and a simpler explanation to the right “Ancient Aztalan Brown Ale is brewed in the style of an American brown ale. A rich, satisfying chocolaty brown ale”. No listed strength.

Appearance: The head on the last two Tyranena beers was big and creamy, and the Brown Ale is no exception. Settled to a ½” thick tan brown covering with a moonscape crater marked surface it laces extremely well and is enjoyable to view in my straight sided Imperial Pint Glass. The body is of a murky chestnut appearance with some ruby hue when back lit. Finely dissolved and small-bubbled carbonation is exemplary when the beer is lightly tipped as it races back to the underside of the head when up righted again.

Nose: Lightly toasted malts, Nuts and milk chocolates all entwined in an English Bitter nose that reminds me of the Tap Room at my local back in England. Nothing special, but this has a nose that has plenty of character for a Brown.

Taste: Toasted malts with some lightly roasted peanut flavors. Velvety smooth the dissociation of the conditioning allows the smooth malts, chocolate and creaminess to coat the mouth. The malts still linger in the middle and latter third, but I just love the way that the silky-smooth Cadburys chocolate tastes race through into the mouth just after you swallow this beer. Beautiful. Finishes with an astringent chocolate nuttiness. Dry in the end, it begs you to take another swig and relive the whole process all over again. Déjà vu a la Bruin.

Mouthfeel: This has just the right balance for a Brown. A smooth well carbonated feel on the tongue, a flavorsome body on the cheeks, yet it sits light in the stomach and begs you to remind yourself how good it is. Perfect!

Drinkability: Well I for one could drink this one all night without any problems whatsoever. This is a true session beer in every sense of the term. Easily quaffed with just the right balance of flavor and body to see you through until closing time - without getting you plastered! If this beer had a Latin Motto, it would be “Imbibulous Copius”.

Overall: I dearly love Brown Ales and Milds, and whilst my Review may be slightly biased as such, I have to say that this Brown is rather good. Brown Ales in England were for the Working Man, copiously imbibed in huge quantities before, during, and after work in a time when Insurance and Harassment Policies never existed. A decent strength at 6.0%, this does not disappoint. It reminded me so *very* much of the “buzz” that I got the first time that I ever tried a craft-brewed nutty-chocolate English Brown, euphoniously called 'Brown Willy', which incidentally was also sampled at my first ever UK Beer Festival (Barnsley CAMRA, Civic Hall, April 1988). Was that really 16 years ago? Damn, nevertheless, this is an accomplished Brown in every sense of the definition. I could easily destroy a 6-pack of this after a hard day at work. My goodness this is great!! I wonder what this would be like on draft!? I can only imagine.

Another winner that winged its way out West thanks to BigHuge!

05-11-2004 04:47:51 | More by TheLongBeachBum
Winter

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Pours a dark copper in appearance with a light tan head. Malt and chocolate on the nose. When I sampled this, the temp of the ale was a little bit warmer than I would have liked. Still not bad. Taste consisted of roasted malt, some slight nut, with dark chocolate being the prominent flavor towards the finish. Missing a good caramel flavor that a lot of browns tend to have. Finishes dry and a bit smokey.

08-03-2003 18:51:15 | More by Winter
tavernjef

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

Color is a dark coppery brown with a thin head that fizzed out quick and has some spotty dot-like lace. Smells of pale, but sweet malt, nuts, and has a bit of light cherry note, quite nice. Taste is light and smooth with some solid nut and malt flavors. This is an all malt brew and it shows, cuz there ain't no hops to be found. Thats not a bad thing as long as it makes up for it, which it does. It just lacks some in the robust and roundedness compared to most other browns. Has solid medium smooth body and is very drinkable, gets a little better as it warms a bit. One nice, easy and smooth beer, I'd have another, no prob.

thanks jeffboo

04-26-2003 08:42:29 | More by tavernjef
jeffboo

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

This is a solid nut brown effort, aesy to drink with enough character to keep it interesting.

A nice light chocolate brown with cream colored head. Aromas of sweet chocolate,nuts, and a hint of roast. Flavors fill in where the aroma leaves off with chocolate, cinnamon, more nuts, and finishing grainy with a touch of hop bitterness. It's light bodied and thirst quenching, would work well with grilled foods and most meats.

06-11-2003 09:17:08 | More by jeffboo
ZAP

3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

Re-re-Rate (3-18-04)-Must be old...sourish flavor...metallic taste too....not real good at all....much different than my previous tastings...My scores have been dropped to an average of the good and bad...

Re-rate...10/22/02...still agree with my previous comments, but I can't believe I didn't mention the big chocolate taste to this the first time....it's the first thing that jumps out on me with this new sixer....

Original rate-A very nice brown ale...a rich looking brown color with a small soft lace that rims the glass....malty/toasty nose....a very nice maltiness on the buds for a brown....nutty/toasty flavor....the body of this beer is about perfect for a brown ale....finishes with a slight dry note...a very nice brown ale...one of the better one's I've tried..

03-19-2004 05:51:01 | More by ZAP
Bighuge

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

The appearance is a slightly hazy brown/ruby. Throws out a nice medium beige head. Good lacing patterns observed. Some mild cocoa on the nose. This is a hopped up brown ale which appeals to my tastes. I'm guessing cascade is one of the hops utilized. (The taste is similar to SN Porter.) Besides the hop attributes coming from cascades, there is a nice dry woody taste too. Some chocolate malt and a nice dry finish. Very drinkable. For a brown ale, this does the job.

That ends my little run of 4 brews from Tyranena (plus 2 others I reviewed about a month ago) and they have shown a very nice consistent quality in their product.

Thank you cokes.

07-17-2002 19:59:33 | More by Bighuge
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

Particle-filled ruddy bronze capped by a head of light caramel brown that slowly deflates as tiny bubbles pop on its lightly pebbled upper surface. A fair amount of Swiss cheese-like lace is deposited on the glass, most of which sticks around for a bit.

The nose is abundantly chocolatey and puts me in mind of a porter more than a brown ale. There isn't much else in the nose, other than some well-mannered hops, but then there doesn't need to be. Well done.

The flavor is... uh... interesting and caught me a little off-guard. I didn't expect quite this much sourness, but it occurs to me that I noted some sourness in Chief BlackHawk Porter as well. It isn't bad necessarily, just out of place. I can still appreciate chocolate, although to a lesser extent than in the nose.

Additional elements of the flavor profile include sour fruit (peaches and pears) and a wee trace of coffee to go along with the cocoa. Sour keeps its nose ahead of bitter, at least until the finish, which is indicative of the less than prominent role played by hops. The body is no larger than light-medium, even taking style into consideration.

Ancient Aztalan Brown is a different sort of English brown ale. I can't decide if sourness is intended in Tyranena beer or not. Probably not. Even though it doesn't rise to level of annoyance in this beer, I'd like to see it tamed a bit. Or, better yet, eliminated entirely. Thanks (once again) to Skidz for the bottle.

12-05-2004 16:44:09 | More by BuckeyeNation
feloniousmonk

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Dark plummy color, close to brown, reddish 'round the sides. Decent, if short, off-white head. Aroma has traces of nuts, cocoa, and sweet malt, but rather shyly, even vapid.
Very smooth on the palate, with a good, solid body, juicy malt, and slight hops, if any. Soft texture, good balance.
Nice, drinkable, but none-too-complex. Better than many a brown ale, like certain ones in see-through bottles.
Another good brew from Tyranena.

05-11-2003 19:33:34 | More by feloniousmonk