Bitter Woman India Pale Ale - Tyranena Brewing Company

Bitter Woman India Pale AleBitter Woman India Pale Ale

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 10-22-2002)

scootercrabb, Nov 21, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +28.2%

This is the epitome of a true IPA. The properly appointed name is as accuarate as you can get. The hoppiness is phenomenal but your mouth is left with a very sweet finish. The only reason I didn't give this a full "5" was because the head on it disappeared very quickly. This beer is so perfectly crafted that it will definately find itself in my fridge in the future.

ALESwhatCURESya, May 23, 2004
4.9/5  rDev +26.9%

My friends and I had this at a beer festival last year, I thought it was great but extremely hopped. My friends complained they couldn't get that taste out of their mouth the rest of the night. Over the course of the winter I became a shamelessly addicted hophead, and tried this again. Wonderful full hop grapefruit aroma amber orange color, rich full hop slightly sweet citrus taste,with the best aftertaste I have experienced in my beer drinking days. And surprise, my friends have jumped aboard my hop train and passionately crave this brew themselves. Currently my absolute favorite beverage, hard to find in stores because it sells so quickly, I can only imagine what kissing the Bitter Woman From Hell, what I assume Is Tyranena's Imperial IPA, but seldom available must be like.

grynder33, Apr 01, 2004
4.85/5  rDev +25.6%

First time I ever tried this delicacy was at the "Dells On Tap" beerfest, in Wisconsin Dells. Right from the start I could tell that little six ounce glass was holding liquid gold.

The smell was, pardon the pun; "intoxicating", the taste was oh so bitter, and very refreshing. Like a potato chip can't have just one.

However I have also had this beer in the bottle and unfortunately, for whatever reason it just isn't the same.

Thankfully, I only live twelve miles from the brewery/tasting room:)

Hopster, Apr 07, 2004
4.85/5  rDev +25.6%

This is one of the best beers that I have ever had. Once poured into your glass there is a rich hoppy flavor that makes your mouth water for a taste. The color is rich orange with min. foam. The taste is a bitter citurs. As you are tasting the well crafted beer there is a rich fullness in your mouth. There is a delightful remembrance after every taste.
This is a great hoppy beer. Some who are not used to hoppy beers may want to use caution when drinking.
They don't call her a bitter women for nothing!

HopHottie, May 19, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +25.1%

This is the all IPA's should be measured; it's color, wonderful citrus smell is only the begining. From the first taste you are engulfed with a burst of hop filled joy which made me yearn for yet another mouthful. Certainly not for the domestic beer pallet, but if you are like myself a hop crazed adventurer, you can appreciate what a creation this really is.

onehoppypoppy, May 13, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +25.1%

A very nice surpise when i crossed the border to go on a camping trip in northern Wisconsin. Body is deep ruby copper, slightly hazed, with a smal ring of head around the top of the glass. Big hops in the nose, juicy, floral and citrus, everything you'd expect. You can also smell a hint of alcohol. Taste is lip smacking hops. Wow, enough malt to complement the huge delicious hop presence. Just great, can't ask for much more from an IPA. Great drinkability, looks like i will have to go across the border again to get this gem.

TastyTaste, May 26, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +25.1%

This is the second or third one I've had from my 6 pack I grabbed in Wisconsin over the Thanksgiving Holiday. The beer pours a hazy orange color with minimal head that falls to ring the beer. The nose is beautiful. A beautiful dance between sweet caramel malts and even sweeter grapefruity hop. I love it. The flavor is equally as well balanced. There is a ton of hop flavor, but not a lot of bitterness to linger and the caramel actually comes through secondarily after swallowing the beer. The feel is just where I want it. Nicely creamy feel to it and good thickness. Damn nice beer. Drinkability is top of its class. I could sit and drink this beer all day long.

kmpitz2, Dec 08, 2004
4.8/5  rDev +24.4%

Clear orange/copper color with a bubbly, white head that retains beautifully. Rings of lace permeate the pint glass. Nose is like walking into a pine forest and a citrus grove simultaneously. Very aromatic, resinous hops make their presence known. The taste is an awesome balance between fruity, citric, bitter hops and a sturdy caramel malt backbone. Very nicely done, and not overly syrupy like some IPAs that have more than their fair share of hops. This brew fills the mouth with a variety of complex flavors and is appropriately carbonated. Hop burps abound long after drinking. Immensely drinkable, an excellent ale. Would work wonderfully as a session ale. I just wish this was readily available in my area.

Jon, Aug 22, 2003
4.8/5  rDev +24.4%

I picked up a six pack of this in Hudson, on my way back home from playing golf. I had heard many good things about this one and have been looking for an excuse to get to WI to pick it up. I had some questions regarding the dates on the bottles so I emailed Stacey at the brewery. She replied with the answer quicker than any other brewery that I have contacted. Great customer service! On to the beer…12 oz bottle, with a bottled on date of 07 Jan 06. Also 00003895 was on the bottle.

A—pours a rusty orange color, slightly hazy with a 1 ½ inch sand colored fluffy cloud like head. The head slowly collapses into a pillow that floats on the top. The lacing that is produced is thick and resembles sea foam. Beautiful.

S—strong citrus and floral hop aroma, mild candy sweetness is hidden. My mouth waters as I smell it.

T—Wow! This is awesome! Not as bitter as the smell (or name) implies…it is balanced with a touch of sweetness. The bitterness lingers in the aftertaste. Finishes a bit on the dry side as well. This is great.

M—crisp and clean, light/medium bodied, moderate carbonation

D—no question about it. This is my new favorite bottled IPA. I drove a little bit out of the way to find it and it was well worth it. The only downside is gas prices….because I will return to WI again and again for this one. I can’t wait to try Bitter Woman from Hell!!

hanco005, Jun 21, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +23.8%

Pours a clear copper with a light tan head. Tantalizing aroma consists of pine, citrus and fruity pineapple. Medium-bodied mouthfeel. Stinging hop bitterness pierces the tongue initially. Hop loaded front end. Flavor really seems to emerge more toward the back as the initial bitter shock to the taste buds subsides a little. Then flavors rush in from all directions. Hop bitterness, sour pineapple, all exist over a light malt backbone. This IPA really emphasizes the bitterness of the hop.

But rather than featuring the malt/hop relationship that a lot of IPAs have, Bitter Woman plays off the fruitiness of the ale to balance the aggressive hoppiness. Almost a ying-yang of the sweet-sour thing going on. The beer gets smoother as it warms and the carbonation has a chance to seep out. An excellent IPA.

Winter, Sep 02, 2003
4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

ffshore545, Jul 07, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

SortaAmbivalent, Jan 11, 2012
4.72/5  rDev +22.3%

New 2003 edition and is now a year round offering.

Shiny orange/gold in color with a smaller, creamy head. Big chewy hop aroma here. Lots of citrus,pine, cedar, and fresh hop resins. A beer that is easy to just smell for a while. But drinking it is also on the agenda so...a very drinkable medium bodied brew with lots of complex hop flavors enclosed in a solid malt backbone. Hop flavors run lemon/lime and finishes dry and bitter- in a good mouth coating way with some toasty malt dragged along. The hop finish stays very long and is lemon rind-like. It is nicely balanced and very quaffable.

jeffboo, Sep 06, 2003
4.72/5  rDev +22.3%

Hazy copper brew. Topped with a thin and somewhat bubbly tan head. The aroma is pungent, citric and oily. And strong. Excellent. This beer is all about the hops, although the malt backing is definitely sufficient. The malt characteristic is mostly toffee like. I must love Amarillo hops cuz I love this beer. They are like orange peel. They are oily. They are pungent and resin-like. That specific taste quality reminds me of the sweet resin-like smell of cannabis. The body of this beer is damn near full. Mouthfeel creamy and easy. What a nice IPA. Tyranena is a damn fine brewery.

Thanks a ton to cokes for the great West Coast, I mean Wisconsin IPA.

Bighuge, Jan 07, 2003
4.7/5  rDev +21.8%

Served chilled in my imperial pint.

A: Pours a clear medium copper, with a nice and creamy off-white head. Decent head retention, nice lacing.

S: The nose is dominated by hoppy bitterness. Grapefruit, pine, pineapple. The malts are there, but take a back-seat to the hoppy goodness.

T: See above. Damn, it's been a long time since I've had the pleasure of enjoying this. The hops are very intense, but not over-done, if that makes sense. The malts are there just enough to keep things balanced.

M: Thickness and carbonation are perfect for an IPA. Nice and creamy, resiny goodness!

D: For a bitter IPA, this is pretty damn drinkable. Tyranena rules.

Packforever1976, Jul 05, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +21.8%

Wow, after recently trying the Masala Mama, which is the number 1 ranked single IPA on BA, I now get the chance to sample #2, and see how they compare. With the "Mama" still on my mind, I popped the twist-off cap and poured this brew into my stone brewing co. shaker pint. The colour of this brew, was a slightly hazy peach/orange colour with a meringue like head of whipped, white foam. The aromas jumped out of the glass and consisted of fresh piney/citric hops, various fruits, a malty sweetness, and more! The taste was excellent and consisted of those same hops (I wonder what varieties are used?) up front, some jucy berry-like, grapefruit flavors in the middle, and a sweet maltiness that is shattered by a bitter burst of hops in the long, lingering, finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, and perfect for a brew like this. As for the drinkability...simply awesome. I could drain these all night. Another great "session IPA" from the mid-west!

francisweizen, Feb 20, 2004
4.68/5  rDev +21.2%

I got this in the mail today from an amazing BA and beer trader, and I just had to try it as soon as it chilled.
The beer pours into my willibecker glass a rich amber, touching upon gold, capped with a thick ivory froth. Plenty of belgian lace sheets the glass, the head holding strong the whole time. Nice clarity, with perhaps a bit of a naturally settled chill haze. The aroma is powerfully hoppy, huge grapefruity citrus wafting up to assault my nasal passages. Extremely fruity and vibrant, this is my idea of IPA. Floral and pine notes, as well. The flavor starts with the barest touch of toasty malt, explosive grapefruity hops coming through immediately. Just enough malt sits beneath to keep things in check. Soft peach and apricot esters add to the fruity and floral hop attack. Nice and clean, with softer, natural carbonation and a stick-to-your-ribs mouthfeel. Enough malt sweetness remains throughout to keep your eyes from scrunching up. The hops are so potent in the aftertaste that they almost approach a metallic astringency. The aftertaste sticks around forever, forging through tortilla chips and salsa I ate afterwards to hang around for a while longer, reminding me of what I can't just drive to the store and get again. Bless the bitter woman and her evil ways.
A very, very solid IPA, this is the stuff you want when you're jonesing for hops. I could take this stuff down all day. Next time I'll have to ask for a keg! The label has a little blurb about Aunt Cal, which is pretty humorous. I'd like to try more from this brewery.
Thanks to Bditty for the bottle! I loved this stuff!!

UnionMade, Sep 16, 2004
4.68/5  rDev +21.2%

Pours a hazy orange-copper color with a sticky white head that leaves spiders webs of lace across the sides of the glass as it recedes. Nose is quite zesty and fruity with notes of fresh citrus and pine oil—quite “sniffable.” A solid malt-backbone supports the strong bitterness with flavors of grapefruit rind, orange pith, fresh lemon, and raw hop leaf oils and tannins. The bitter hop resins remain in a lasting aftertaste that lingers until the next sip. A truly marvelous IPA—one of the finest I’ve had the pleasure to drink. Thanks to bditty187 for the sample!

Morris729, Nov 14, 2004
4.65/5  rDev +20.5%

Cool label with a crotchety old lady (Aunt Cal) and an amusing story to go along with it. Pours a nice clear amber orange with a fluffy, bubbly white head on top...chunky thick lacing and some nice yeasties floating on the bottom. Oh me, oh my...what a nose. A plethora of grapefruit, orange and lemony citrus hopiness with piney notes and hints of caramel hard candy. Salivation increases as I continue to inhale its beautiful bouqet.

A bright, vibrant wall of citrusy hops cascades down my throat along with a nice chewy caramel maltiness in the background. Mouth puckering biterness hits the back of the palate with a vengance. It's all about the hops here and I'm loving it....a damn fine IPA.

Mouthfeel is chewy and creamy...has a great body in my opinion. This is a brew I could drink all night.I wish I could get my hands on this one on a regular basis. Hop burps are good...highly recommended to all the IPA fans / hopheads. Many many thanks to kmpitz2 for the chance to partake in this fine offering from Wisconsin.

orbitalr0x, Dec 30, 2004
4.65/5  rDev +20.5%

My first beer from Tyranena....tried to find Bitter Woman from Hell but this was all i got (at first) so i had to "settle." Smells very citrusy and hoppy, which makes me eager to drink it. Delicious taste. Really bitter grapefruit flavor with lots of hops as well. Sweet malts on the finish. Perfect, silky smooth mouthfeel with a tart sting. Absolutely delicious and im glad i have some more. I neeed to try more from this brewery.

aforbes10, Jun 05, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Serves out a deep-golden/amber glass with a milky head that stays around the duration. It leaves a milkshake-like trail down the sides of the glass.
Nose-tingling IPA aroma of pine forest, citric hops with floral hues. Toasty carmel underbelly. Absolutely wonderful. Likely the best smelling beer I've encountered.
The aroma gives a pretty good preview of the taste. Good hop bitterness. Juicy Grapefruit, with ample floral, pine, metallic and slightly grassy notes. You can tell that amarillos were used. A longitudinal survey of hopping. Delicious amounts unripened fruit, primarily passion fruit and pineapple. Malt is distantly secondary, but not forgotten. Sugar cookies and toasted caramel backing provide a sturdy (and fucking tasty!) foundation. A deluge of lime- and grapefruit- peel hops completes things.
Just divine.
Creamy and smooth in the mouth. Goes down faster than it should. Stay out a little too long while consuming these, and find out the meaning of the name.
Place this one in my upper tier of IPA's. Not as huge as some, but it doesn't need to be. Orgasmic session brew.

Update 3/25/03: Broke out one of my few remaining bottles to see if I still like it as much as I remember. I do. Though it shines slighter brighter on tap.
An all time favorite, IPA or otherwise.

cokes, Oct 22, 2002
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

O the analogies my guttered mind conjures when tasting a bitter woman. Pours a hazy wafer capped peach jutting branches of wiry fine lace. Nose of tinned shortbread cookies opened under a fresh xmas tree. Pine makes its way onto the buds in maramalade on toast fashion for a superbly balanced brew that rivals the best of them. Creamy and painfully(in an I've only got one sort of way) drinkable. Like chewing sugared Kumquats while accepting the Pulitzer.

Thanks Ryan, for the best from WI!

inebrius, Jan 12, 2003
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pristine peachy orange-amber. The bone white head is medium-large, firm and persists admirably. Once it does deflate, never lower than one finger, the glass is coated with a copious amount of lace in delicately speckled sheets. I've seen better IPA eye candy, but Bitter Woman's appearance is top notch.

I continue to be amazed at the myriad aromas that beer of this style can possess. They all use (basically) the same ingredients and even though there are many different varieties of hop, certain ones get used again and again. I've had dozens upon dozens of IPAs, but this one has a distinctive aroma. Like Hop Wallop, it smells more tropical than most. Anyway, it's different and it's great.

The flavor is easily the equal of the nose. Lovely, sweetly fruity hoppy goodness fills my mouth with each sip (okay, gulp). It tastes like a tropical fruit juice-beer cocktail with elements of pink grapefruit, pineapple, orange, papaya and passionfruit. I'll have to remember this combination of Amarillo and Cascade; it's a corker. There's no doubt that Bitter Woman is highly hopped, but isn't even close to over the top as far as I'm concerned.

And, unlike the lovely lady on the label, it isn't bitter. At least not as I define bitter. Very little malt is noticeable in the flavor profile; just the way that I like it. Unbalanced? Absolutely. Damn tasty and addictingly hoppy? Oh yeah. The body/mouthfeel is tremendous. It's slightly viscous and lightly sticky, a perfect compliment to the resinous hop flavor.

Attention all hopheads! Bitter Woman is a great IPA that can take its place beside some of the best that either coast has to offer. It makes me proud to be a Midwestern boy, born and bred. Now if you'll pardon me, I've got five more of these bad boys (bad women?) to drink and then I've got to find some more. Highly recommended.

BuckeyeNation, Jun 15, 2004
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Shines and gleems like polished brass with an light white head that fades to the sides leaving a light skim. Nice lacings all around.

Smells quite strongly of hops, very strong hops...wow. Fruity, mainly citrus pulls out alongside; grapefruit, lime and a dash of oranges. Thick and full feeling of hops, chewy if at all possible. Taste is still quite fruity, those citrus hues come out like a racehorse, but the strong bitterness wins this race as it slaps you across the face like a blind date gone wrong. Very refreshing, the tangy fruitiness meshes extremely well with the strong bitterness that makes you want to take another. Finish is well bittered with plenty of lingering hop flavors, just enough to make me never want to stop drinking this beer.

Nice body, good carbonation and built quite well. Easily consumed and enjoyable so.

EDIT (11/10/04): Updated review a bit and boosted score. This beer is probably my favorite of all WI IPA's, citric hop flavors are to die for, and so it's become a staple in my diet.

Skidz, Mar 19, 2004