Bitter Woman In The Rye - Tyranena Brewing Company

Bitter Woman In The RyeBitter Woman In The Rye

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: bound4er on 05-18-2009)
3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

A semi-clear amber with a one finger off white head.

Hops in the nose with little to no spiciness nor rye. Where is it?

Tastes pretty good however and I'm catching the rye now. Nothing is overpowering... pretty balanced to the point where it's a little boring.

A dry finish and it hides the booze making this rather sessionable.

All in all, I was a little let down seeing as this is a BGW beer. C'mon Tyranena! I know you have it in you to make great beers... I just need to see it a lot more often.

rudylaw, Jun 09, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

Dark, dark golden color. Very clear. The head is thin, but very sticky. It quickly fades to a ring around the glass, leaving rings behind after each sip.

Very floral. The hops come out immediately. There is a sweet, caramel scent lingering in the background.

The rye is very strong in the flavor, it sort of cuts your mouth apart with knives of bitter, stagnant flavor. But that's not a bad thing. It makes for a unique and developed taste, but not something I'm exactly fond of. You get some hoppiness in there as well, that's good. There's a lavendar flavor mixed in the finish. There really isn't much to balance the bitterness, it's just wave after wave of tongue twisters. I don't think I'd get this one again, but I'm glad I tried it. A large departure from typical IPAs, yet at the same time very characteristic of the style.

dogger6253, Jun 05, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a deep orange color with a small white head.

Scent of rye, oily hops, grass and some fruits. Good balance, but not much strength to it.

Taste of rye with hops and some fruits with a good amount of rye in the finish. Rye overpowers the base beer, which seems a bit lacking, but it's still pretty good.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, slightly oily and clean with good carbonation.

paco1029384756, Jun 04, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours a nice amber color with no head and no lacing. Looks like carbonation is light on this one. Smell is a little off. Underneath the piney notes and lightly spicy rye is an off aroma of paint thinner and fusel alcohol. Taste is about average for an rye beer (this is not an IPA, by the way). Hops are up front, nice bitterness, decent amount of citrus/grapefruit and a touch of pine, a touch of rye spiciness, but really the malts are a bit subdued and I honestly wouldn't be able to tell there was any rye in here if I wasn't told so on the bottle. When I think of hop-bomb rye brews, I think of Red's Rye or Hop Rod Rye, but this one just can't live up to those other beers. It is pretty good if you can get past the paint thinner aroma and somewhat light body and lack of carbonation, there definitely some good things going on there, just not enough of them and not enough malt or hops to cover up the strong alcohol aroma and warmth. I wanted to love this beer, and was excited when I bought it, but I have to say I was slightly let down and feel like this is my least favorite of BGW series.

KeefD, May 31, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +24%

A big fan of IPAs & rye here, so I've been looking forward to this one hitting the Twin Cities for the past couple of weeks. Finally found a stack of 4 packs at Cellars in Eagan this afternoon & a few minutes later, here I am.

Look is classic IPA, golden amber beauty. Smell is dominated by the hops.

Taste is grandstanding unique. The hop oils are slithering & shaking scales all over my tongue, & the rye is fresh out of the fields & left via dump truck on my palate. The aftertaste is raw rye, & the oily hops make it an...interesting experience. Not sure after the first sip, but this is growing on me by falling boulders.

Goes down like a greased pig, uh, well, a liquid, tasty greased pig. Drinkability? I split the stubby little bottle with the wife before going out to dinner with friends, & am already looking forward to coming home & having another.

Fantastic. Three-run homer from them fine folks at Tyranena. Can't wait to visit for the Great Taste & see what they have up their sleeves for that weekend!

maximum12, May 30, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

12oz Stubby
$8.99 4-Pack
Steve's, Madison

Bitter Woman in the Rye has the look of a freshly minted penny and shows off bright orange highlights when backlit. Exactly three strands of tiny carbonation bubbles rise to the surface. The head is dirty white and easy to conjure up, growing to two fingers quickly but falling just as fast to a thick cap, thick collar, and chunk left behind to coat the glass.

There is a massive amount of rye tossed into these Bitter Women. Spicy rye is first and foremost in the nose of this beer but make no mistake, the hops are not far behind. The hop profile shows off large amounts of floral and orange citric hoppiness. The malt backbone is clean caramel with a slight buttery quality that's oddly, perfectly in place. Although the hops are here in gobs the rye beats them back enough to stay in the forefront.

The flavor backs up exactly what the aroma was leaning towards. Spicy rye jumps out front before settling into a nice balance with the citric floral hoppiness. Caramel maltiness lays down the backbone but knows its place and stays in the rear. The rye comes back on the swallow with a long lingering spiciness. This is an all around interesting brew.

Somehow Tyranena manages to nail the mouthfeel on almost all their beers. The body is medium with such a soft carbonation it's something you have to concentrate on. Not that this beer is flat but it's so well integrated it's something that doesn't even cross the mind. Silky smooth and velvety are just a couple words to describe this decadent mouthfeel.

This glass disappears quickly on a warm day like today with a ballgame on the tube. As a matter of fact I'm going to go and grab another in a couple minutes.

This is a damn fine brew from Tyranena. The rye is huge in this beer and adds an interesting spicy component that works really well with the hop profile and actually leaves a little bitterness when combined with the hops.

joe1510, May 30, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Served in a pint glass.

Nice head, larger bubble than I expect on a IPA, good head retention. Color appropriate for the style.

Distinct hop aroma, but not has much as expected. I had heard this was a hopped up ale, but the hoppiness was not as extreme as I expected. Maybe I had misguided expectations. Malt aromas were there, but light.

From a previous rye IPA experience, I was expecting whiskey flavors, but there were none.

Medium mouthfeel, nice bitter finish.

Very drinkable.

triguy84, May 30, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

A- Deep amber orange in color with a solid 2 finger white head. The beer is perfectly clear. Nice retention and some decent lacing.

S- Really disappointing smell from this beer a little rye spiciness and some hops character. A hint of yeast and alcohol. I would like to have seen more presence of hops or rye one or the other would really improve the beer.

T- Fair taste, the hops make more of an appearance here, the only problem is they overpower the rye tastes. This seems typical of a IPA with rye though. So they did a good of balancing the two.

MF- Very nice dry finish. Good carbonation, medium body.

D- Very drinkable beer, not the best IPA and not as good as Hot Rod but it's a nice beer.

brow1901, May 29, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

A-Clear brownish-copper w/nice beige head and good lacing.

S-Spicy w/herbal and citrus hops, and a bit of toasty malt.

T-Bitter and fruity upfront w/malty backbone emerging midway, and a mix of spice and a variety of hop character in the finish. Aftertaste is citrusy w/herbal hop oils and coats the back of the tongue.

M-Moderate carbonation w/balance hanging on the hops. The malty backbone is there, but does not emerge boldly enough.

D-I love Rye PAs, and I am a big fan of most of Tyranena's brews, but this one, although good, does not quite measure up to others of this style. The spice and hops dominate a little too strongly, and the balance lacks as a result. Usually I prefer the rye versions, but I prefer regular Bitter Woman in this case.

BoitSansSoif, May 25, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -1%

Clear brass bodied with a skin of pale gray suds and a some pockets of bubbles clinging to the edge. Not much retention, but gobs of lace down the sides of the glass.
Lime rind and dry grass hoppiness, with blooms of tropical fruit (mango, mostly). Rye adds its distict peppery spiciness, and enhances the grassy qualities.
Rye is perceived immediately in the mouth, lightly doughy and perkily peppery. Malt fades quickly, though the spiciness lingers. Hops join with a dried grass and herb, that broadens over time to include mint, lime, papaya, and sandy minerality. Later on, burps add pine and resin, curiously, the first time they appear.
The body enters puffed out, and nearly brawny feeling, but it deflates over the course of the sip, leaving it limp and thin by the swallow. This is a small gripe, as it's monster drinkable.
I'm a big fan of rye, simply put. And this succeeds in that aspect. The rye, though, competes with, and seems to alter the hop profile, and at the end, it's not clearly recognizable as a Bitter Woman spinoff.

I'm not 100% sure how I feel (mostly because I expected a more "Bitter Woman-esque" hop clarity), the rye has won me over and I've gone through a couple four packs over the weekend, and I'll be restocking soon.

Update: The more I drink of this, the more I'm left somewhat nonplussed. The rye and the hops just don't really jive.

cokes, May 24, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a clear amber color with one inch of white head that settled to a thin cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left on the glass. The aroma is very spicy. Almost has a noble hop characteristics but I do not know if this beer has any. The flavor was a let down. Hops is dominate but I wonder where the malt went. Has a nice rye malt finish but I would want more of the other malt to influence this beer. Has a little band-aid flavor as well. Bitterness is moderate. The body is a little thin but it is nicely carbonated with a good texture. Perfectly drinkable but I was hoping for a whole lot more. Not Tyranena's best effort as I see it could easily be improved.

morimech, May 23, 2009

12oz single, brewers gone wild and whatnot

appearance: served in tyranena pint glass, glowing straw-amber body, frothy beige waves and nice lacing

smell: punchy aromatic hops, tropical and juicy, pine and citrus. this one is a very nice nose

taste: hmm - this beer is really hoppy - the bottle proclaims an "orgy of hops". i'm not sure the rye really works that well - it sure provides some spice that is quite fiery when mixed with hop blast. very tropical and juicy

mouthfeel: juicy and pungent, high bitterness

drinkability: one went down really quick

i think the reviews will level out on this one at some point, after mixed early reviews

dirtylou, May 22, 2009
2.65/5  rDev -31.5%

Picked this up today at Heritage.

Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pub glass.
The pour produces a 1'' off white head, receeding to leave thin drapes of lace.
The color is transparent and a darker amber copper, glows well when held to light.

The aroma is kinda funky. There is some malt and hemp with just a bit of skunky UV light lengthy exposure.
I got this from a dark cooler with no lights. And I know how they treat beer at this establishment. So I'm wondering if I just got a bad bottle.

The taste is bitter, with plenty of rye spice to back. Bittering hops, grassy, but some pine. The rye helps cover the lack of anything else going on here.
Some charred malt and a bit of charcoal.
Finishing with plenty of rye kick and spice as well as super bitter mouth puckering pine.

I dont understand whats going on with this brew. It seems like there was an attempt at somthing, but it was lost in translation.
The last 2 beers, this included from the BGWS have been flops ( paradise by the dashboard lights and this one here) compared to the first few. Seems like they are just making anything now and calling a brewers gone wild.

Sub par. I will pick up a 4 pack and give it another shot, because you guys have made great beer in the past, so you deserve a 2ND chance. But in my own defense, its hard to have a bad bottle on a beer that was just released yesterday.
This just seems skunky.

Buebie, May 20, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured in a tulip glass. I love the reddish amber appearance in IPAs and this one does not disappoint.

The aroma is of citrusy hops...nothing too overpowering.

The taste is a hop punch to the face, followed by a pleasant malty sweetness and next with the back of the tongue bitterness that I've come to associate with Tyranena IPAs. The rye flavor is not extreme, but adds a nice spiciness to the finish along with the bitter hops

This is my favorite Tyranena IPA to date. I have a feeling I'm going to be drinking this heavily for the next couple of weeks or months.

Edit: This beer wasn't nearly as good from the bottle as it was from on tap for some reason. Not sure why.

milwaukeeclassic, May 19, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Clear amber pour into my La Chouffee tulip

Scents of mild citrus and pine needle, not the strength of this beer, rather mild and a bit soapy

Taste of soft mellow hops and an abrasive rye finish that cuts a swath across the palate, leaving an abrupt bitter finish.

Well carbonated and nice lacing for a somewhat watery body.

Poundable. Good, but not the best BGW beer from Tyranena.

BarrytheBear, May 18, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

A new one from Tyranena under their "Brewers Gone Wild!" series. As the name implies, this is an IPA brewed with rye.

A. Straight up amber appearance. Pours beautifully showcasing 2 to 3 fingers of white head that settles to a 1/4" and stays that way. Lacing is damn fine too.

S. Pine hops and a bit of malt. Not an overpowering nose by any means.

T. I like this beer as I do most IPA's. The hops come across with a blast of citrus and then turns bitter quickly expanding across my palate with another final shot of citrus. There's pretty good balance from the malts - not sure how the rye comes into play here.

M. Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D. Goes down fast - two or three would not be a problem. This will be a nice beer to have around this summer. Not a mind bender but plenty enjoyable.

bound4er, May 18, 2009