Painted Ladies Pumpkin Spice Ale - Tyranena Brewing Company

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Brewed with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices. Available: September.

(Beer added by: beerwolf77 on 09-24-2009)

3.98/5  rDev +6.1%

I've been very disappointed in the past few years searching for a pumpkin 'fall harvesty' brew.
Pleasantly stumble on this one ontap. Since tap was gone in 1 day, bottles will suffice.

The aroma for me is like putting my schnoz over a pumpkin pie. In saying this, I really don't get alot. But I'm not really expecting much either.

Nothing overbearing here. Noticeable traits of mace. Other spices of cinnamon and allspice do meld well together though, with a saccharinly sweet pumpkin aftertaste (in a good way). I close my eyes and pick out notes of vanilla and brown sugar leading me to imagine and taste the 'bready' flaky crust.

Creamy finish coats the palate and taste does linger.

Enjoyed taking my time with this. I do not want the taste of pumpkin puree in my mouth, but I do want a pumpkin spiced brew that delivers. Tyranena has ended my search and look forward to next year!

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a beautiful translucent and crystal clear, bubbly, orange amber. Carbonation is lively, almost champagne like, little to no head retention. Aromas of cinnamon, nutmeg, pine, pumpkin flesh, and malt come out. A strong champagne like, grape, yeast aroma comes through as well. Strong champagne like flavors dominate as well. More cinnamon and nutmeg but pumpkin is almost absent here. The spices are subdued however, so it doesnt feel out of balance despite this. Light body, spicy in the finish, almost a very very slight tartness to it. THe champagne character that I get, I found interesting, and good. Very drinkable and mellow, definitely not a mouth full of spices, but could have used a bit more pumpkin character.

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

A-Pours a clear, reddish amber color with moderate white head that leaves a nice ring on the surface of the beer.
S-Aroma of pumpkin bread with cinnamon, nutmeg and a hint of vanilla.
T-A slightly sour flavor. Flavors of pumpkin pie spice, I taste all the cinnamon and nutmeg. Fairly strong alcohol which might be the cause of the sour flavor when combined with the pumpkin pie spice.
M-Starts fairly sweet and has a balanced finish. Very light carbonation.
Overall, a very good pumpkin spice ale. Not overpowering with the spice. A nice subtle flavor but not too subtle. Not too heavy.

3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

A-Clear amber, not much carbonation, one finger head.

S-Very spice heavy, lots of cinnamon, tad bit of pumpkin but not much,

T-Like the nose, spice heavy. Some pumpkin in the finish. Not much else, no bitterness.

M-Light, not much carbonation, tad watery as well.

O-Another run of the mill pumpkin beer, that being said run of the mill means really good to me because of the style.

3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

Sure it's 96-degrees out (and may reach 100 later today), but I'm feeling like 'fall' today...specifically a pumpkin ale! 12 oz. bottle, poured to a pint glass.
Sent as an extra (x2!) by excellent trader joshuaseresse.

Label features (what else?) 'painted ladies'...well, actually they're pumpkins, all dolled up in garish hats and make-up. A blurb on the side panel describes the Annual Fling in Tyranena's home of Lake Mills and it's celebartion of it's Victorian-era downtown.

Neck shows: Bottled on 14SEP09...so take this review for what it's worth.

A: Good rusty amber, deep and sultry. Plenty of rising carbonation, but cutting through a slightly unsettling dusty fog - signs of age but not too distracting. Topped with only a 1/2 finger of khaki cream, pretty good retention. Lace drapes like ribbons.

S: Requisite noseful of pie spices; earthy and nutty and not as preposterously sweet as some I've sniffed. Gingerbread and tea. A little fruit, such as raisins and a little cloved orange. The slightest paper-y/oxidized hint.

T: Very nice spicing, earthy nutmeg and cinnamon and zesty undertones (a hint of ginger?). Not too sweet, nor too blatantly 'pumpkin pie'. Some vanilla hints finish off a caramel- and spice-rich treat.

M: A little less thick than a 7.5% ale might warrant, maybe a softer carbonation prickle too. A veil of graininess sticks a little.

D: I'm an unabashed supporter of pumpkin ales, and this is among the finer ones I've tasted. Sure, she's old enough to show some warts and whiskers, but this Painted Lady has still 'got it'. An alluring spice and lasting flavor would bring me back; I'll look for it fresher next time, but as-is she's still a winner.

3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance- Nice deep amber with a couple fingers of white head.

Smell- Classic pumpkin spice with clove being the most dominant. Also pickup a good amount of sweetness.

Taste- Great pumpkin pie spices followed by a nice sweet malt and bitter finish. Themspice profile reminds me of Pumking without the pie crust flavor.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with a perfect amount of carbonation.

Overall- Really solid pumpkin beer. Not the best I've ever had but it scratches the pumpkin itch. I only bought a single but I would go back for a 6 pack.

Tyranena Brewing Company, Painted Ladies Pumpkin Spice Ale, Lake Mills, WI

"The Painted Ladies Annual Fling celebrates the renaissance of downtown Lake Mills. Although named for the restoration of the many Victorian storefronts, some of the more adventurous women-folk added a playful twist and dressed as, well, painted ladies. Inspired by these bold and spicy women, we brewed Painted Ladies, a pumpkin and spice-infused amber ale. This fall, make sure you enjoy a fling with a few Painted Ladies."

Well, I grabbed up 6-pack, so that fling is on. I've had this on tap before, at local ale establishments. This is my first time enjoying bottles. So, how is it?

Deep amber hued, slim head. S'okay.

Aroma: Warm, sweet and spicy. Cinnamon, allspice, clove. Some vegetable flesh beneath it. Beautiful blend.

Taste: Malt flavor is first and fullest, pumpkin taste is light, but there. Hops are minor, too, but give a little bite. Spices are prominent, and mix well with malt. Not too hot, not too big, just nice and balanced, imparting sweet and spicy flavor. I feel we get more from the "pumpkin spices", and less from the actual fruit (or vegetable, or legume, or whatever.) Good and mellow, but not quite full-flavored enough for my taste.

however…there ain't nothing wrong with it. Very malty, toasty amber brew, filled with fresh, tasty flavor. Spices never quit. Mmmm.

3.92/5  rDev +4.5%

3.9/5  rDev +4%

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

Apparently this is the year of pumpkin ales for me; let’s have another, courtesy of Tyranena.

Brewed six weeks before the date of this tasting (“Bottled on: 14SEP12”).

A: A great translucent, burnt orange color to the body reminds me of fall right away. There’s not much head at all, though, and only a small amount of wet tan bubbles for retention. Still, the body looks pretty fizzy, and even has some slick, sticky lacing wrapped around the glass.

S: Lots of spice here – cinnamon, allspice, ginger – but not without a bed of pumpkin. I’ve come to expect something like this when it’s pumpkin ale time, but this one has a definite pumpkin pie scent to it that I really enjoy. You get wafts of pumpkin, caramel, vanilla, and graham cracker from center of the nose, and the neat spice surrounds that holiday warmth. A pleasing nose.

T: Spice-forward, but malt-backed: we have a lot of cinnamon and nutmeg up first, giving it a mildly fiery kick, with a dose of piney hops as a chaser. One of the first beers where I can actually taste the pumpkin (though mild), it mixes the flavor with toffee malt and sugar cookie sweetness in a roasted manner. The spices mix in with the sweets to give it a snickerdoodle character, which embraces the slight pumpkin note with a pie crust-like compliment. Aftertaste is sort of sharp and citrusy, like the spice went a little farther than the malts.

M: You can feel the bubbles on the tongue, but without a big commotion. I’d characterize it as smoothly carbonated with a light body; drinkable, but maybe with a little too much carbonation to be sessionable.

O: I’m glad to be getting closer to the holiday with better and better beer. Of all the pumpkin ales I’ve had this year, this is one of the memorable ones. Cheers!

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

I bought a single bottle of this from Woodman's in Menomonee Falls, WI for about $1.50 in early fall 2010.

This fall seasonal from Tyranena is quite unique. There is a very rich smell of pumpkin and spices while you pour this medium brown beer. The overall taste is hard to describe because I've never had a pumkin ale taste like this before but the spices are very evident in its taste. Definetly a beer to get you into the fall mood.

3.85/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into my trusty Pumking goblet...

A - Pours a clear amber orange color, little to no head, small ring around the the edge.
S - Great aroma of pumpkin and spices.
T - Would be a good amber ale even without the pumpkin and spaces. The pumpkin takes a back seat to the balanced spices - I taste cinnamon and cloves.
M - Medium mouth feel, medium carbonation.
O - Very good fall spiced beer. Highly drinkable, would love to try this on tap.

3.85/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks to BeerFMAndy for sending this out as an extra. Served in tulip.

Pours an orange-copper color with a really nice white head and quite a bit of spotty lacing. Nose is quite a bit of sweet pumpkin pie with a bit of cinnamon in the background, though mostly nutmeg. The taste is, again, some pretty sweet pumpkin with mostly nutmeg and a bit of clove. Medium body with a tad bit of spice. Drinks pretty well and is a nice pumpkin beer all around.

From 10/24/11 tasting notes

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into my Ale Asylum pint glass

A) A clean looking orange, with a finger of off white head. The head dissipates to a nice dusting, and there was some decent lacing. The parade of bubbles making their way to the surface was also visually pleasing.

S) Pumpkin... Spice... The aroma is fairly sweet, but not overpowering.

T) Sweet pumpkin bread, spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Hops detected slightly in the finish. The 7.50 ABV was extremely well hidden.

M) Medium body, and quite well carbonated. Settles well on the palate. A nice crisp feel and good aftertaste.

O) A real nice pumpkin brew. It reminded me a bit of Lakefront's Pumpkin Lager, just a little more spiced. I must say, these pumpkin beers are really growing on me. I would gladly recommend this beer. Well done Tyranena...

3.84/5  rDev +2.4%

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A - Medium-darkish amber with white head a ring finger thick and average lacing

S - Ginger, cinnamon, yeast, a little clove

T - Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and sweet malts --> caramel, black pepper, ginger --> pumpkin, yeast (Belgian?), lingering spices --> finish is spicy and slightly sweet

M - Medium-bodied, decent carbonation, slightly sticky as it warms

D - One is perfect, more would be a stretch for me. For the style, though, it's not bad.

An enjoyable beer, Painted Ladies is an annual treat, and it's best that way. Better than most pumpkin beers for sure.

3.8/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured In: Snifter

I can't believe I'm just now getting to review this. I was sipping on these throughout the Fall, but the constant acquiring of new beer put this on the back burner. Time to do this proper.

Appearance: The pour is a bronze and burnt orange color with absolutely no head showing up. No lace on the side of the glass and the beer is just ever so slightly effervescent.

Smell: A bit o' pumpkin, allspice, clove and nutmeg. The malt does come out as well; smells like caramel malt.

Taste: The tasting starts out with the spices coming through right away. More allspice, clove and nutmeg. The caramel malt starts to come through in the middle and the tasting finishes with sweet spice lingering on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Thin to medium bodied. Carbonation level was actually maybe a bit on the low side for the more thin body.

Drinkability: Pumpkin beers are not my favorite style, but in the Autumn they sure do hit the spot. Cool breeze, colorful leaves and the sense of excitement from the Summer starts to come to an end. Granted, I'm a handful of months late for that to be the case today, but Tyranena's raising of the glass to pumpkin beer will end up in my crate again.

3.76/5  rDev +0.3%