Painted Ladies Pumpkin Spice Ale - Tyranena Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: beerwolf77 on 09-24-2009

Brewed with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices. Available: September.
Ratings: 214 | Reviews: 91
3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

A nice overall drinker.

The appearance is a golden amber color with minimal foam despite a good pour.

The smell has some spicy overtones but nothing too agressive.

The taste is some mild pumpkin with some slight phenolic tastes.

The mouthfeel is nice and full with a bit of remainy grainy taste.

The drinkability is overall fairly high although it drops off as the beer gets warmer.

A good pumpkin beer overall, but not in the top tier.

2.64/5  rDev -29.6%

Good looking dark orange boardering on brown with a creamy tan/off white head. Any kind of beer-like aroma is quickly overpowered by the cinamon, nutmeg pumpkin pie spice. I know this style is supposed to be spiced in this way, but it is a little too much. Smooth thick, creamy sweetness on the palate that instantly gets pushed out of the way by the spice. Very thick creamy mouthfeel, a lot of body in this beer. This is not bad for a one and done change of pace desert beer for the fall. Would probably go good with my Mom's pumpkin pie. Not a beer that I could conume on a regular basis.

The beer pours a hazy amber color, with an orangish tint. The head is white, and thin. The aroma of this beer smells of pumpkin spices and malt. The taste is bready, with the flavor of pumpkin spices. The mouthfeel is sort of a medium light. Its a drinkable beer. Overall not much pumpkin flavor.

4.2/5  rDev +12%

Poured into a tulip glass. Light foam that dissipates to a ring almost instantly. Very good looking clear burnt orange color. The scent is heavy pumpkin spice and biscuit. The taste is heavy spice, sweet, malty with light pumpkin. medium mouth feel with nice carbonation. This is one of my favorite pumpkin ales. I could drink a few which is rare for pumpkin ales. Highly recommended.

3.65/5  rDev -2.7%

This is a decent pumpkin. It's a little heavier focused on the spice aspect, which I like but I'd rather have a pumpkin that screams, well, pumpkin. This beer is malty and spicey. I almost feel like it would be good warm, like a heavily spiced apple cider. I don't think this is a beer I could have more than a couple of in a night but I could certainly enjoy one from time to time on a fall night.

3.36/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Aroma: Sweet maltiness. Definite nutmeg up front with hint of ginger and allspice. An earthy note present as it warms, but not extreme.

Appearance: Crystal clear copper color. Large off-white head that is very persistent.

Flavor: Sweet and malty but not cloying. As with aroma, the nutmeg is front and center, with an allspice/clove "burn" coming up last. This has a slightly astringent earthy or musty finish, but doesn't detract from overall enjoyment too much. I think that flavor is the actual pumpkin in the beer. The spicing on this one is borderline too high.

Overall: Not a bad beer. Probably the best beer I've had from Tyranena in a while. I honestly had kind of written them off over the past few years after I'd tried a couple of duds. This one is high on the spices, so if you hate them then you likely won't like this beer!

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a beautiful translucent and crystal clear, bubbly, orange amber. Carbonation is lively, almost champagne like, little to no head retention. Aromas of cinnamon, nutmeg, pine, pumpkin flesh, and malt come out. A strong champagne like, grape, yeast aroma comes through as well. Strong champagne like flavors dominate as well. More cinnamon and nutmeg but pumpkin is almost absent here. The spices are subdued however, so it doesnt feel out of balance despite this. Light body, spicy in the finish, almost a very very slight tartness to it. THe champagne character that I get, I found interesting, and good. Very drinkable and mellow, definitely not a mouth full of spices, but could have used a bit more pumpkin character.

4.12/5  rDev +9.9%

Jarrod, a local beer fanatic, brought over a bottle to share with my husband and I.

Appearance is clear yellow/red with a white head, this was in sample glasses, so I can't evaluate the head overmuch.

The scent is absolutely heady - like beery incense. Pumpkin, cinnamon, with a little after-whiff of ginger. Mmm!

The taste delivers on the scent - a lovely pumpkin/ginger/clove/cinnamon and pumpkinny taste that ends sweet and clovey. Maybe slightly too much clove for my taste, but clove oils tend to predominate for me when they're in a beer. Not 'too sweet' for a pumpkin ale. Very lovely!

Higher carbonation carries the spices through very well for me. A nicely done pumpkin/spice ale, definitely delivers through on the name.

3.92/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance- Nice deep amber with a couple fingers of white head.

Smell- Classic pumpkin spice with clove being the most dominant. Also pickup a good amount of sweetness.

Taste- Great pumpkin pie spices followed by a nice sweet malt and bitter finish. Themspice profile reminds me of Pumking without the pie crust flavor.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with a perfect amount of carbonation.

Overall- Really solid pumpkin beer. Not the best I've ever had but it scratches the pumpkin itch. I only bought a single but I would go back for a 6 pack.

3.49/5  rDev -6.9%

My 2nd pumpkin ale of the season. I'm not really fond of the style.

But as dictated, by style:

[L] This one pours out a honey-colored, golden/amber hue with a fizzy head that is off-white. Pretty calm looking, with a few bubbles making their way up.

[S] I could pickup on the smell from quite a few inches away. I imagine that by style, out of a vast variety, this is pretty spot-on. Nutmeg, pie crust, cinnamon, pumpkin puree; with a mental pickup on some whipped cream. Possibly some grain in the back.

[T] Spices are upfront. Nutmeg probably most prominent. Apparently, the base is an amber-ale, showing hoppy/caramel notes that meld with the pumpkin pretty well. Good for what it is.

[F] Very thin feel, with a chalky dry finish, due to spice. Slight bite. Smooth on the palate for the most.

[D] Though I find this to be on the higher end of the spectrum for this style, I could only do 3 or so before the spice and burps turn my stomach.

Everytime I grab a pumpkin beer, I try to like it; I really do. But again, pales, lagers, milds, and ambers don't seem to really hold up as bases for the amount of character the spices usually impart. Porters, stouts, and darker bases are what I would seek out in this department. Don't think I've really heard of any highly hopped "Pumpkin IPAs", though. Floral/citrus hops would be an interesting pair with a dry spice.

4.22/5  rDev +12.5%

After reading about Painted Ladies Pumpkin spiced Ale on beer advocate. com. I went looking for it at some stores I knew carried Tyranena Brewing Co. brews. Finally found one of the seasonal six packs this month, January 2010. It was worth the search, I have always enjoyed Tyranenas products and was not disappointed. Hard pour gave it a nice head and some nice lacing and bronze color. The taste of clove, pumpkin and brown sugar hit me first followed by a nice warming feel. Although it would have been nice to have after a day of raking leaves, this spicy brew tastes just as well on a cold winter night.

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%

Nice; really nice. I've never been a pumpkin pie fan and yet I loved this beer. It's a pretty pour, with a nice head that dissipates fairly rapidly. Taste is spice and pumpkin, with nothing over the top. It's slightly sweet and the weight is neither heavy nor light; it's right in the middle. It's very easy drinking and though I have to be in the mood for a fruit/vegetable beer, I could down quite a few glasses of this. Nicely done!

3.7/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Dark orange with small head that is gone as quick as you can appreciate it.

S - A lot of orange with exceptional pumkin (a very good mixtured smell) with your average hints of cinnamon, caramel, and brown sugar.

T - You taste some pumkin but mainly the cinnamon/brown sugar. It seems to focus mainly for the taste of beer which I enjoy. Could use more malt, but what do I know, I just taste.

M - Almost syrup like, but not quite. Not crisp, but with exceptional carbonation.

D - Very good. Especially for a seasonal brew. For me pumkin beers are good to have one a night, maybe two, but this beer seems to wanting more. Not the most unique, but one you'll want to drink on again.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

nice spice, don't taste any pumpkin/

4.77/5  rDev +27.2%

Pours a hazy orangeish brown with a finger of a white head.

smell- Smells like fall in a bottle, pumpkin pie, nutmeg, cinnamon and a hint of citrus. Very sweet smelling.

taste- Tastes like pumpkin pie with cinnamon. Spices were not overwhelming either which I thought they would be smelling the beer.

mouthfeel- thin bodied... carbonation was good

overall- It was a very good pumpkin ale, by far the best ive had so far and it should go perfect for thanksgiving.

4.67/5  rDev +24.5%

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. One of the best I've had recently. And the best of 4 or so specialty pumpkin ales (including Dogfish Head) that I've tried in the past few weeks.

It's just really flavorful, complex and smooth. Well balanced--not overwhelming malt, pumpkin, spice or hops. Just a nice balance of everything.

Biggest problem is that it's hard to find. I'll definitely buy again.

Painted Ladies Pumpkin Spice Ale from Tyranena Brewing Company