Doubly Down 'N Even Dirtier - Tyranena Brewing Company

Tyranena Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: beerwolf77 on 11-12-2010

Bourbon barrels filled with cocoa nibs, vanilla beans and our chocolate oatmeal double stout.
4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle poured into pint glass:

A - A pour produces no head at first, but eventually forms a tiny bit of a head..although it does dissolve quickly. Light bubbles around the edges. Black center but semi dark brown around the edges. It was weird because I've had this before and other bottles produced more of a solid head, but this one didn't. I'd rank it a 3.75 but I'm rounding down.

S - Oak barrel, coco and coffee. Bits of vanilla and cream. Hints of oatmeal...reminds me of Founders Breakfast Stout but not as strong. I expected to smell more bourboney character, but didn't pick it up as much.

T - Chocolate roast and oats. Oak and earth. Little bits of vanilla and coffee. Not as much bourbon as I wanted but it's ok...

M - Really smooth and velvety. Creamy but more on the lighter side. Not much carbonation.

D - Pretty easy to drink. Reminds me more of a barrel-aged porter. While it tastes good and goes down easy, I just expected more bourbon. It is tasty though and I do like it but I imagined it a tad different.

4.07/5  rDev -1.7%

Served in a pint glass. Bottle is dated November 4, 2010 (a little tricky to see, in black ink right between the base of the neck and where the bottle starts to fatten up)

A - Dark brown/black in color with very little head.

S - Roasted coffee, chocolate, some sweet notes in the background, I'm not getting much bourbon or vanilla on the nose.

T - Coffee, dark chocolate, some sweetness on the finish. The bourbon seems to come through on the finish in the sweetness, though not as boozy tasting as some bourbon barrel aged stouts. I'm really not getting much vanilla, if anything it's blending in with the bourbon on the finish.

M - Very smooth and not as rich as many other barrel aged stouts. I'm not sure if I like this - part of me likes how it's not as sweet and cloying as some, and another part of me would like more body.

D - Very good considering the style - this is on the lighter side for an imperial stout, if there is such a thing.

Overall, I really like this beer. It reminds me of their dirty old man rye porter (also a Brewer's Gone Wild series beer) but with more oomph - more flavor and roastiness, which it should have, since it's a stout. I also like the fact that this beer clocks in at 7.5% alcohol and still provides similar flavors to beers in the 10% range. I can't stress enough how smooth this beer is, considering the flavor profile. Tyranena more often than not really strikes gold with their Brewer's Gone Wild series, and at about 9.99 a 4 pack the price makes their beers a good value when compared to similar beers that will get into the $15-20 range per 4 pack. Definitely look out for this one.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

A - Deep motor oil brown, near black, with a big refined head that reminds me of a fine chocolate mousse.

S - Chocolate, Vanilla, Coffee and roasted malt. The nose almost reminds me of a Chocolate Mocha drink from Starbucks. Incredibly sweet and inviting.

T - Lives up to the nose. Rich chocolate and coffee flavors up front give way to a smooth vanilla roastiness out back. Absolutely delicious.

M - A bit thinner than I would have liked considering the richness of these flavors, and the carbonation finds the door rather quickly. However, it is not watery and still has some chewiness to it.

D - Incredibly drinkable Imperial Stout. I did not find the rich chocolate and vanilla sweetness to be cloying, but can imagine it being so to some peoples palettes. I will be picking up more of this one for sure. 2 or 3 of these in a night doesn't sound like it would be a challenge in the least.

3.62/5  rDev -12.6%

Appearance -- Pours an inky black with no highlights and a thin foamy tan head. Minimal lacing, but coats the glass well.

Smell -- Dark chocolate, coffee with cream, brown sugar, vanilla, bourbon, and a little bit of leather.

Taste -- Cafe mocha, black patent malt, oaky vanilla, brown sugar, gentle bourbon, leather, peat smoke. Lingering flavors of dark chocolate, leather, and oak.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied in body with milder prickly carbonation. Mild oak tannin astringency is present. Needs body big time. Not distracting, but a thicker feel would make this beer so much better.

Drinkability -- Barrel-aged imperial oatmeal stout? Nice. A little on the sweet side, but not cloying. Got to hand it to Tyrenena for really knowing their way around a barrel. The bourbon influence is gentle - partial BA blend? - that tends to accentuate the oaken barrel influence more than the bourbon, keeping drinkability high. They could possibly use a heavier hand with the bourbon influence, but again many brewers could take some notes from these folks.

With all of this good stuff going on in the taste, the mouthfeel becomes a bit of a letdown: a bit thin for the style with gentle carbonation. Had the carbonation or the body been upped a little I'd be more inclined to give this a better overall grade. That said, this is another satisfying Brewers Gone Wild from Tyranena.

3.77/5  rDev -8.9%

I found this at Whole Foods in Chicago. I see their beers on the shelves more and more as they have pretty good distribution here. I poured into a Unibroue tulip.

A: It doesn't have a very thick head. It leaves a much thinner ring than I would have expected. It is deep mahogany brown and opaque. A thin swirl remains at the surface.

S: Sweet caramel, vanilla and barrel-aged bourbon oaky notes.

T: The taste of Doubly Down is probably why you purchase a barrel-aged chocolate vanilla stout, right? Although I didn't get the mouthfeel I expected or perhaps wanted (oh vanilla bean dark lord...how spoiled on DLD), I do encounter the flavors advertised. The vanilla notes are not overly sweet (thank god), but they will satisfy any sweetness craving on my palate. Perhaps because this doesn't have a heaviness to it, these notes certainly are forward. Beneath I detect the barrel aging and a slight tingle from the bourbon and oak. These aren't as powerful a K.O. as, say, a Bourbon County, but ok--I get where you're coming from, DD... just 7.5 ABV. The cocoa nibs are definitely lurking underneath, but I think that the vanilla wins the match--a little hard to discern through the sweetness. I'm not overloaded.

Mf: Not a very thick mouthfeel. It almost feels like a dark lager or closer to their Rocky's Revenge...

D: Ok, so I'm not a very "sweet guy." Sorry. This about as sweet as I can get, and 12 oz o' DD is plenty to satisfy any craving I would have. That said, I have had sweeter beers (i.e. Southern Tier Crème Brûlée) that I know I'll split with someone when I crack it. This doesn't quite fall into that sweet a category, but close. This becomes more evident toward the end of the bottle. However, I will happily enjoy my remaining brews one at a time as the sweet one in the lineup. I am impressed with this beer for what it is and what it ambitiously aspires to be. Vanilla bean Dark Lord it ain't, but--hey--you can actually buy it at Whole Foods in 12 oz bottles. I dig what Tyranena does, and the barrel aged stouts are definitely something that I look for on the shelves. Check it out in tandem with some others.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance- Pour is black. With a one finger tan head. When held to the light, nothing enters this, even darker than expected. Head fades to a ring around the surface and leaves good lacing all the way down.

Smell- What do you know... chocolate and vanilla. Some sweet bourbon poking through too.

Taste- Dark roasted malts and chocolate. Vanilla and oaky bourbon noticed. Lots of cocoa. Has a milk stout feel to it, with a hint of bourbon. The tasting notes on the label are basically spot on.

Mouthfeel- lighter than expected, but again it is not a Huge stout. ABV's are not noticed at all. Smooth.

Overall- Solid and afordable barrel aged brew. Velvety smooth going down.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

A- Pours and dark chocolate almost black body with a heavy tan head.

S- Smell of Bourbon but not to strong at all with cocoa nibs and vanilla/

T- You can taste the vanilla and cocoa nibs with rich chocolate malts in a good blend of bourbon at the finish.

M- Very heavy almost velvety and creamy with a smoothness of the bourbon and vanilla and cocoa nibs present.

D- Dang this beer is good a pefect blend of flavors nothing is over powering it just blended nicely. Get it and enjoy it like me.

4.46/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been looking forward to this one!

A: pours pitch black, little to no head with some lacing, appears to be thinner than some impy stouts, but is still quite dark

S: big notes of vanilla up front along with bourbon and oak, these notes meld flawlessly with smooth dark chocolate, everything smells like it is in perfect balance and there is no pronounced booziness like I often find in barrel aged beers.

T: the flavors first presents some big bitter dark chocolate notes and quickly comes into to deliciousness with the follow up of vanilla and bourbon. The vanilla seems to really balance well with the bourbon... it seems to preserve the nice bourbony flavors and keep out some of the harshness. This beer is very delicate and well balanced. My only complaint is that the base beer is a little on the thin side. Either way, this brew tastes amazing.

MF: as I mentioned, this is a little thin and light (7.5%) for an imperial stout. That doesn't take away from the complexity and the amount of flavor.

D: At 8.99 per four pack, this is by far the best value I have ever found in terms of barrel aged stouts. Plus, it drinks smooth and delicious. This is probably my favorite from Tyranena, but that's not to downplay some of the other great brews such as Dirty Old Man, Benji's Smoked Porter, Sheep Shagger, etc etc.

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

12oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a dark black with a small dark brown head that fades to a ring and leaves only the smallest lacing when you tip the glass up.

S: The nose is roasty chocolate and coffee. I'm not getting any vanilla or barrel aromas here which was unexpected.

T: The taste is cocoa, coffee, and fudge with vanilla and a molasses taste on the finish. Really reminds me of KBS but with a bit more vanilla and chocolate flavors.

M: The feel is actually relatively thick compared to some other reviews I've read. It's thick and coats the mouth with all the flavors.

D: I enjoyed this and given the ABV and the fact that it was pretty cheap compared to other barrel aged beers, I could see me drinking more than 1 if I could buy it locally.

Very tasty and I can't wait to try this with some age. Hopefully the coffee tones down and lets the barrel flavors come through a bit more.

12oz single - seems like its been a while since the last brewers gone wild brew.

"double stout brewed with cocao nibs and aged in bourbon barrels with cocoa nibs and vanilla beans"

appearance: served in my great lakes chalice, chocolatey brown body, tan head with light retention

smell: chocolate milk, vanilla bean, mild bourbon, oats, subtle roastiness.

taste: Very interesting blend of great flavors - chocolate milk, cocoa nibs, LOTS of chocolate. vanilla bean, oats, fudge cake, bourbon plays nicely but not overpowering. I like this a lot, but some of their other barrel aged efforts have turned out better. Calling this a double stout is pushing it - it's a solid american stout

mouthfeel: a little thin, creamy

drinkability: good

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

12 oz bottle poured into my arcadia tulip.

Picked this beauty up at binny's the other day. 10 bucks for a 4 pack. :D

Pours a deep black with hints of maroon on the edges. Very thin head, deep tan/cocoa color. Decent head retention.

The smell is out of this world. Loaded with chocolate and vanilla. Easily one of the best smelling beers I have personally ever had.

Taste. Wow. Bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, and oak all make their presence known. The bourbon is not hot or very up front, but is noticeable in a good way. Tons of chocolate fills my mouth with every sip. The vanilla overpowers the chocolate, but I am a fan of that, so hooray! Drinking it now, when it gets towards room temp the vanilla character in the aroma and taste come through more.

Very thin for a double stout. Wish this one was a bit thicker.

Easy drinker. I am a big stout fan, and this one does not dissapoint. Going back to pick up another 4 pack soon.

4.04/5  rDev -2.4%

Inflatablechair is my homeboy. Sammy just got back from a stint in Chicago and pulled this one out... Thanks buddy. Pours with a thin dark tan head.. okay retention with nice rings of lace.

Aroma is pretty much as advertised... nice dark maltiness.. the chocolate is great!! Lesser vanilla .. thankfully.. but lite oak and roasty malts smoooths things out ... very nice.

Good dark/chocolate malts show before the bourbon.. vanilla is way too much for my palate.... the vanilla helps pull out the chocolate, roasty malts are pretty lite... the oak shows with warmth.. I guess bourbon barrels... but the vanilla just blows things out of the water for me.

Seems pretty thin... medium/lite body.. carbonation is ever present and smooth.. yet the overall presentation is lacking.

Mehhh... I like it... and hope I get a chance to try it again, but I won't cry if not. Thanks. Sammy!! Pretty cool late night Saturday tasting ;-)

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle - Bottled November 4th, 2010 - Poured into my Tyranena pint glass...

Pours pretty much black, when held to the light the edges show a mahogany color...very thin cap of tan head recedes quickly leaving a bit of haze on top of the beer...

Roasted coffee and some bittersweet dark chocolate fills the nose on first whiff. Dark chocolate overtakes the coffee aroma, very rich smelling with just a touch of vanilla, the bourbon barrels add a touch of sweetness, but are very muted...

Loads of dark chocolate to start, somewhat bitter but offset by some sweet, rich chocolate. The bourbon barrel aging is much more present in the taste than the nose indicated, sweet and slightly warming. Oak is apparent too, somewhat unexpected after reading the reviews, but the barrel aging is completely shows through, in my bottle(s) at least...

Medium bodied, a tad thinner than I like in my Imperial Stouts, but this one is also only 7.5%, also lighter then most Imperial Stouts. Slick and creamy, slightly bitter and drying in the finish with some alcohol heat as well...

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

12oz bottle poured into Sprecher snifter.

A- Pours almost pitch black with a small head, basically just a small cap on the beer. It recedes quickly and leaves no lacing on the side of the glass.

S- Bitter dark chocolate, espresso and hints of vanilla. Some nice roasted malts, some cinnamon and just a little touch of brown sugar.

T- Big and bold dark chocolate, a little bitter, mellowed by a kiss of vanilla. A little bit of oak melds well and adds a nice smooth balance. The bourbon gets masked by the dark chocolate but you can still pick up a little bit of it. This is a very rich beer.

M- Full bodied and incredibly smooth on the tongue. Thick and luscious, this beer just coats your mouth. There is no real detection of carbonation.

D- This is a very balanced beer with a great mix of flavors. This goes down nice and easy. The barrel isn't too dominate and the booze can't even be detected. Another winner from the Brewers Gone Wild series.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. November 4, 2010 bottled date.

(A)- Pours a pitch black color that produced a good frothy tan head that stuck around for awhile.

(S)- A subtle roastedness behind a decadent profile of chocolate, vanilla, and a mellow caramel/brown sugar dry oakiness.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. Very chocolate-like up front. Has a vanilla-like oaky caramel-like background that is quite nice.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Sweet, but by all means not overly sweet; a tad thinner than expected actually. Has a very mellow roasted/bitterness for the style. A very smooth beer.

(D)- Very smooth and easy drinking; lightly sweet. Very sessionable in a style not known for it. One of Tyranena's better offerings I have had thus far. Seek it out if you can.

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

12 oz. Brewer's Gone Wild series into a Great Taste of the Midwest taster glass.

Deep dark brown with some red highlights when shown the light. Initial surface layer yields a thin film that bubbles and dissipates leaving a modest clumping long the edges.

Initial scents of coffee sitting on a layer of roasted malt. Underneath sits some dark chocolate and a very mild, understated bourbon presence and a healthy whiff of vanilla.. Clearly, at least based on the scent, the barrel aging is complimentary, but not the star of the show. Overall, quite mellow.

A chocolate bomb with loads of dry, bitter dark chocolate. Not be feel left out, vanilla shows up for a guest spot. Together, these two complimentary flavor decide to play nice together. What doesn't work as well is when big, bad barrel shows up to strut his stuff. He's a bit harsh and doesn't integrate to make this a smooth experience. Maybe this beer needs some more time to come together, but it's not there yet.

Carbonation is low and the body is on the lighter side of medium. I'm not in a hurry to finish this though I very much appreciate the fact that Tyranena continues to strive to make affordable, local barrel aged beers. Not my favorite of the bunch, but a nice effort and one I hope improves with time.

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%

12oz bottle picked up the day it landed in chicagoland. pretty excited about this one after how much i liked the original version. drank from my stone IRS snifter.

A- this one pours out an opaque colored body with a small cap of tightly knit beige bubbles. the head has excellent retention and leaves behind small rings of lacing.

S- the first thing i notice are the dark roasted malts. after that comes some sweet smelling milk chocolate. a large blast of coffee at the end. there is some evidence that this has been barrel aged (oak/vanilla and a hint of bourbon), but it doesnt smell over powering at all.

T- the taste starts out with the dark roasted malts i could smell and then opens up with some sweet milk chocolate. the oak and vanilla from the barrel are more evident here, but it still seems understated. same thing with the bourbon. the finish is a decent coffee kick. there is no trace of the alcohol.

M- the body is a little on the thin side for an imperial stout. there is also not much warming from the alcohol. i dont think this is very strong as far as other double/imperial stouts go. its on the dryer side, which is nice. decently bitter.

D- another successful brewers gone wild. this is a series that i always look forward to. i wasnt let down with this one. i have some more to lay down for a while and see how it changes over time, but im not sure that many of them will be around for too much longer.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Been eagerly awaiting this release. High hopes for this one. Poured from a room temp bottle into an imperial pint.

A: Dark chocolate brown nearing black. Nice two fingers of tan head. Thick coating of lace. Great retention and a hefty cap.

S: Pure dark chocolate is the dominant character. Smooth black coffee and a touch of smoke. The bourbon is subtle but I can pick it out. Not much vanilla though.

T: Holy crap! The flavor is spectacular. Rich chocolate fudge cake with coffee icing. There's the bourbon and vanilla. So smooth and rich. The bourbon adds just another layer without feeling boozy at all. No heat at all. Curious what the ABV is. It feels on the low side.

M: Maybe a touch thinner than most Double Stouts but sometimes it's nice to not feel like I'm downing a glass of syrup. Low carbonation but it's present.

D: Overall possibly the easiest drinking Double Stout I've ever had. I'm down to my last sip and I'm going to have to go crack another one. Tyranena didn't quite top their Imperial Chocolate Porter but this one comes close. Seek this out.

4.27/5  rDev +3.1%

Have been looking forward to this one all summer since the news came out they were making it for the BGW series. Excited to finally see it on the shelf...also love being the first to review this as I'm not influenced by previous reviews.
On with the show!
A-Pours a typical (for stouts), yet beautiful, dark brown nearly black. There's a modest brown head that briefly appears then fades away to leave some froth on the edges of the surface. A small swirl produces a long lasting bit of lacing on the sides of the glass....Dark cola highlights on the edges when held up to the light.
S-Exceptional smell of roasted dark malts, chocolate, and coffee. The Vanilla and Bourbon are there, hiding in the background, yet the whole thing feels supremely balanced with nothing overpowering the others.
T-Rich and flavorful....Coffee, deep dark chocolate, roasted malts, leather, nuts, vanilla, and chewing tobacco....the bourbon again hides in the background peeking out from behind the curtain of flavors. To me, that's one of the many things that Tyranena does right...they don't let the bourbon rule the production. It's a small, but important, player in a whole big show. Excellent balance to this. A mild bitterness leads the final act with a bit of lingering dryness to end the show...
M-I like to taste my beers through the whole range of temperatures to get the best overall feel for them and this one seems thin at first, but ultimately ends up being just right. Carbonation is on the lower side, but decent.
D-Not sure what the ABV is but my glass is nearly empty and I'm contemplating another. Despite the richness, I feel I could have 2-5 of these with no problem.
Another fine beer from the folks at Tyranena. While their regular lineup is solid but not spectacular, they seem to really, really know how to treat their specialty porters and stouts for the Brewers Gone Wild lineup. Devil Made Me Do It, Devil Over A Barrel, Benji's Chipotle Porter, etc. are all amazingly solid. This beer is another great addition to that stellar line of interesting and delicious beers.

Doubly Down 'N Even Dirtier from Tyranena Brewing Company