Point Special - Stevens Point Brewery

Stevens Point Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-19-2002

Taste- not bitter, not overly defined- Just right

Smell - Wheaty aroma- perfect head when poured in pilsner glass.

Very well balanced. Awesome on tap. Very good for the price. Great Brewery tour also. Go on it.l I wish more bars in the State of WI would sell it on tap or even in bottles.

4.52/5  rDev +46.3%

The beer pours a beautiful golden color with a thin white head.

The nose of this brew is a light malt with just a touch of hops.

The taste is sweet with a light but solid hoppy finish.

This beer is a little light on the palate.

This is a beer which can be drank all night long with no taste overload like a heavier beer.

Poit Beer is not just for breakfast anymore. Give it a try.

4.35/5  rDev +40.8%

Appearance - Pours a clear golden-yellow color with a half-inch thick head that dissipates quickly.

Smell - Sweet, grainy, lemon zest, and maybe a slight bit of coriander.

Taste - Pretty sweet with lemon, maybe some corn, grain, grass, and a bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Somewhat thin body and light carbonation.

Overall - This would be the perfect beer on a hot summer day. Very crisp.

4.23/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a small stemmed pilsner glass. Pours a honey-gold, with a big, frothy, white head on top. Great retention. Mild citrus, dry grains, smack of lemon the finish. Crisp, clean mouth feel wets the palate. Not too slick. Really fresh beer. I love the flavor on this one! Fresh crisp bitterness, lemon, lime rind, grassy notes - really a "green" beer. I like this one a lot. This is an adjunct? For reals? I thought this had a lot of pilsner character with the sharp pale citrus, hop presence, and crisp feel. If this is an adjunct, this is one of the best out there. I would stock and restock the fridge with this beer. I'll be getting this one again when I'm back in WI.

4.16/5  rDev +34.6%

Point Special is a great american lager that has not changed it's flavor over the years. A crisp and smooth lager that is not light and not heavy. You can taste the history in this brew, like it tasted 100 years ago. I guess I am just idealizing it. But as far as American lagers go, this is premium stuff.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

$2.00 / Can
Archies Bar
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Appearance - Golden brown with a honey 's deepness to the color. The head is white and pours an inch and half but fades quickly away. Carbonation is evident by the consistent bubbles rising from the bottom.

Smell - There's a certain graininess to the scent. More than you'd find with most macros. The aroma indicates there will be something to this lager.

Taste - The taste is firm and obvious. There is malt and grain here. Very little hops if any, and no bitterness in the aftertaste. However, to enjoy a Point takes a special individual willing to be patient. Most who try Point Special need some time to adjust to it's full flavor.

Mouthfeel - Goes down smooth to the experienced Point taster. Those who've experienced Point know the following morning may tell a different story. Usually from the backend.

~ This is my 'recreational" beer of choice. When I'm hangin' with friends, watchin' a ballgame at the sports bar, out on the boat, or dining with the wife I usually enjoy a Point Special.

Point ^ Well Made

First sip was hard, not acceptable. After a few moments, the hops showed up and then the flavor. Perhaps I was being too judgemental at first. The hops were formitable and seemd too roasted. I accepted that and then savored the sweetness that followed. The second can was easier, maybe becuse we were fishing in the northwoods of Wisconsin. Enjoyed the rest of the five cases that endured the fising trip that week. The beer had a faint hint of saltiness that promoted the flavor of our catches. Musky and panfish were delicious as well at the introduction to Point Special. Wish I couold get it here in Indiana.

3.97/5  rDev +28.5%

At the request of an in-law I picked up a 12 pack in Chicago and took it down to Cincinnati for the holidays, What better time for a review. Beer poured a light golden color with head that was very delicate and disappeared a little quickly, the aroma was not very strong and had little to differentiate it from mass brewed beers.
Surprisingly the taste was light and a little sweet yet it wasn't at all watery. It had body and considering the 12 pack was in a fridge with 7 other competitors and was the first one gone means the 5 men hanging out in the garage found it very drinkable. I know the request has already been placed for more.

3.95/5  rDev +27.8%

I am a lager fan my self this is a classic lager. the color is right and the taste is very well with peanuts. I like that you can have more than one and still not be full. this beer is one of the top for lagers for me with its clarity and texture. I request this to anyone.

3.88/5  rDev +25.6%

A friend brought some back from a trip to Wisconsin and I was delighted.

A...nice golden lager color with decent white head.
S...a hint of hops and corn.
T...very nice sweet and sour tones with a good amount of carbonation.
M...a heavy feel at first but then a smooth finish with a nice after taste, leaving you wanting another sip.
D...Strong drinkability! If this beer were available in Florida, it would be my #1 choice for a session beer, and football games..., much better than the big brewery choices.
I really enjoyed it, too bad the distribution is limited to the Midwest.

3.86/5  rDev +24.9%

Although Point Special Lager is a stereotypical American-style lager, it has a lot going for it. It has a thick, white head and a golden-yellow color, with high carbonation. The aroma is almost non-existent, but I think I noticed a slight sour note here. Taste is run-of-the-mill beer, but it's still good; just a dab of hops can be detected. Mouth-feel is light and watery. Point Special finished crisp, with some bite to it. Overall, this is a good beer to have in volume, and I thought its sour aspect was very similar to Dixie beer, but the appearance is not cloudy like that New Orleans brand. The color is similar to it, though. Yeah, this is good beer. Too bad it's not sold in Louisiana.

3.86/5  rDev +24.9%

Paid $10.39 for a 12 pack at Santori's Liquors in Lansing, IL last weekend, and I was glad I did. I've had this brew before and don't remember it tasting this good. I prefer to drink it out of the bottle, but doing the review here in a tall beer glass. This is a very drinkable brew and it's definitely a new favorite of mine.

3.85/5  rDev +24.6%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Medium foamy head on a "standard" lager yellow. Everything about the beer was basic macro lager, except I found the smell and taste to be much smoother than other macros, with slight sweetness and low hops. Very smooth and easy to drink. Considerably better than your average macro lager.

3.85/5  rDev +24.6%

This beer is light gold yellow smells of corn and a light malt has little foam but lacing on the glass all the way to the bottom has a good after tast very good on a hot day better than most big brands and the price is right.My go to beer for when i just want a plain lager with some tast.

3.83/5  rDev +23.9%

This is my favorite standard beer of all time. No doubt about that. Budweiser and Miller should bow down! Back when I lived in Wisconsin I could get a 20 pack of bottles (returnable) in Sun Prarie for $12! And this was in 2003. It's a great standard beer, no fancy flavors, no fancy smells, just good old slightly chewy lager.
A - Normal bronze color. Thick head from tap, thin from bottles. Not much lace.
S - Smells a little like Miller High Life, stronger and richer if anything.
T - Rich, easy going taste. No berries or peanuts, just beer!
M - Great served cold, good for afterwork on a July afternoon.
D - The best part. Doesn't leave a strong aftertaste, refreshing and tasty. Especially out of a tap or cold bottle. Cans I don't care for.

3.77/5  rDev +22%

This beer has a dark yellow appearance with a little more depth and color than most of the big macros. The head unimpressively does not last very long, but does generate a continuous supply of champagne-esque bubbles.

Has better aroma than one expects in an American Lager. Nice pils malts and a little caramel sweetness and light hops.

Flavor is a bit of a letdown after the expectations generated by the smell. Adjunct and corn-like up front with decent bitterness in the middle and a relatively clean finish, this beer is a significantly more complex beer than its bigger brothers but doesn't quite live up to its potential. It coats exceptionally well without cloying.

This beer has always made me wonder if this is what basic American lagers may have tasted like for my grandparents. It just always has a little more than the basics produced in this country now that all taste the same. A very drinkable beer at a reasonable price, this brew always keeps me coming back again.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle

Pours a pale straw color with a small white head that thins. Mild lacing on the glass.

Fresh, crisp malt aroma with a nice herbal hop presence.

Crisp and malty upfront, a nice herbal hop flavor appears along with a mild bitterness. Finishes clean and dry.

Medium-light body, medium carbonation.

After getting back to my "roots" this summer and re-visiting some old favorite macro style lagers (and being disappointed most of the time) this was a nice find for a summer quencher. Easy to drink while mowing the lawn, while providing a satisfying amount of flavor. No problems breezing through a few of these.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the best American lager I've had in a long time, reminding me of the continental European roots of the style more than it reminded me of BMC lagers. It poured deep gold and had a thin white head. As the glass approached my nose, I first got a faint sulfury whiff, followed by some hoppiness reminiscent of noble hops (I'll guess Mt. Hood, but I could be way off). The lightly sweet maltiness did not seem watered down and overly laden with adjunct. Bittering was appropriate for the style. With it's clean malts, it's easy to drink and enjoyable.

3.7/5  rDev +19.7%

Straight from the can after a brutally hilly 16 miles, this thing was a gift from god. This may have been mild dehydration already set it, or maybe the nectar of the gods is found in Wisconsin. Ignoring my possible impared judgement, this wasn't a bad brew. It was surely the best beer I've ever had out of a can. I would much like to try it again, but I'm not sure if it can be easily purchased in my area (mid-Michigan)

3.63/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured a golden hue with a good amount of head that quickly dissipated. Smelled like a typical lager with hints of sweet corn and grains. Tasted of grains and corn with a slightly sweet finish. Overall this was a very refreshing lager and one of the better cheap beers I have had.

3.62/5  rDev +17.2%

Another beer with many sentimental qualities to it, such as great slogans like "...it's not just for breakfast anymore", or "when you're out of Point you're out of town" (which is not true anymore). Another memory is from my freshman year in college at the Square at the bar name Ray and Gerts, where they at times served Point for $.10 a 6oz. plastic cup (it may have been the only beer they served) and the owners were often more lit than the patrons.
Anyway, pale gold, fizzy creamy white head that left quickly. Somewhat pungent malt aroma, that I like. Smooth quality, but with too much carbonation (which makes it feel filling). Light overall malt taste, but nice bitterness to middle and finish, with dryness at the end. It doesn't taste horrible as it warms either. I like this beer with a cigar because neither intrudes on the other.

3.6/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer has a pretty good smell for one classified as a macro lager.. It smelled mostly of malt to me, with a little bit of hops. It poured a golden yellow color, a bit darker than the standard pale yellow of many beers in this style, and had about one finger of foamy white head. This beer has a pretty good amount of carbonation, more than I was expecting. The taste was very crisp, with the malt being the main taste, though hops were present as well. However, the malt taste wasn't too heavy, it was really about right I'd say, made for a tasty beer. The mouthfeel was quite good as well, a bit thicker than I expected. As for drinkability, I'd gladly drink this again if I could get it in Colorado, but I don't think I can make my dad go back to Wisconsin just to bring me more beer. This is probably one of the best macro lager-style beers I've ever had.

3.6/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Nice golden color, very clear and a pretty pure white head.

There's a nice sweet malt aroma, a touch of hops in it, and I guess some corn/adjunct aroma. Over all, very low-key and non-intrusive, but it does have some depth. This is not your father's American adjunct lager. Actually a nice bit of hop flavor, with some earthy-sweet malt. Not getting much adjunct flavor from this beer, there is a grainy taste though.

This beer has some body to it, not just a watery macro lager.

Hey this is an easy drinking session lager. I can't imagine one I've had in this category that beats this one.

Graded against the others I've had, mostly BMC...this is a solid B.

3.59/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear dark gold with just a tiny fizzy head. Nothing at all in the way of head retention or lacing.

Aroma of light sweet corn and bread with just a touch of biscuit. Some light grassy hops floating on top.

Fairly light flavor as well but there is nothing off about it. Corn and bread along with some spicy, grassy hops and a light refreshing bitterness. Moderate mouthfeel with a very clean finish.

Overall, one of the better AAL's I have had. Very refreshing and no off flavors. One to pick up again.

3.57/5  rDev +15.5%

I have to say, I wasn't amazed by this beer but I was still pleasantly suprised. This beer poured a crystal clear yellow color with a very small white head that didn't stick around very long.

The aroma is doesn't smell like your average lager. It smells like a wheat beer. It smells pretty good actually, wheat malt, corn.

The flavor taste like there is wheat malt present as well. It has citrus hop bitterness. Not bad.

The mouthfeel is light with medium carbonation.

This is a very drinkable beer. I think I will buy this beer again next time I need a good cheap session beer.

Point Special from Stevens Point Brewery