Whole Hog Six Hop IPA - Stevens Point Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 243 | Reviews: 116
Reviews by jacobseyb:
3.7/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass a nice orangish yellow. First beer from Stevens Point and starting off well. Smell is a little malty and biscuity to start but the hops definitely round out the aroma. Some pine and some floral seem to be the prominent hop aromas. Taste is again bready with a real bitterness in the floral hops. Feel is well carbonated and slightly oily on the finish. Overall a good example of the Double IPA with a distinct English Style IPA lean. Nearly an English Double IPA.

2.44/5  rDev -30.5%

Poured bright orange with a white head. I thought the hop aroma was rather faint, not a good sign for an IPA. The first flavor was a biting, spicy bitterness followed by malt character that didn't stand up to the bitterness. Then comes the dry, bitter after taste which wasn't appealing to me. Maybe this is the kind of "big" IPA that some folks are looking for, but not me.

3.2/5  rDev -8.8%

In a Sam Adams pint glass the beer was a light gold color with a tiny white head.

It had a rather bland aroma: some caramel malt and citrus/peppery hops.

The taste came through more than the aroma promised. I got some sweet biscuit, piney/herbal notes, and a little bit of grapefruit.

This was an OK IPA. Not bad, not great.

3.33/5  rDev -5.1%

The beer pours a cloudy golden color with a white head. The aroma features a lot of grapefruit notes, as well as some biscuit malt. The flavor is a bit similar. The grapefruit notes still dominate, but I get some pine and a decent amount of bitterness. There is also some nice biscuit malt backbone. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.69/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a teku glass

A -hazy bright copper with minimal creamy head.

S - Fairly strong carmel scent with hints of grapefuit and pine.

T - Very robust sweet carmel taste with quite a bit of hops. The floral taste is very subtle but pleasant. For me, it helps subdue the pine taste.

M -Slightly heavy, but smooth and medium bodied. Has a somewhat dry finish with minimal carbonation. Smooth and creamy, medium bodied. Low carbonation, dry finish.

O - Overall, a decent IPA. Was expecting a little more hops given the six hops used. Would definitely try it again and recommend to any fans of IPAs.

3.4/5  rDev -3.1%

Caramel copper amber body with a light khaki head, intricate lacing fine and even rings with each sips stick to the glass. Aroma has some earthy piney citrus notes with caramel and a touch of alcohol backing it all up. Flavor is lively with hop bitterness, citrus, earthy, slightly dirty notes. Pine and grassiness as well hell six hops that better add some character. Alcohol doesn't burn but it's evident, caramel malt with a grain driven finish does the job well in the balancing department that runs this beer's intent. Big balanced Hoppy beer isn't that kind of like a girly man, what a fuckin' oxymoron. Mouthfeel is slick with hop oils and heavy with carbonation, can't say I'm loving the feel. Medium bodied other than that read above. Drinkability overall is solid as a lighter DIPA for the early on hop heads, I'm not saying I'm past this, but I'm past this.

2.84/5  rDev -19.1%

A- Clear rusty amber color. Small head that diminishes quickly but leaves a bit of lacing as it goes. Not bad in appearance the clarity of the beer almost seems unusual but whatever.

S- Alright I'm starting to question this beer even being an IPA. Hardly a hop character, I'm not sure what is wrong with the beer. Maybe its old but I've had IPA's past their prime that smelled better. It could be that the blend of the six hops just doesn't work. There is just nothing siginficant no nice citrus grapefruit or piney smells.

T- Same story with the taste, not nearly as much hops as I hoped for, even for an east coast IPA. The taste practically downright bad. Some how it reminds me of a pils blended with a pale ale, just really awkward.

M- Strange carbonation, big fizzy bubbles untypical of an IPA, this makes the beer less smooth and less drinkable.

D- Not very drinkable I didn't really enjoy it that much. Not worth a try IMO.

12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Smith nonic.

Appearance: Mildly in-the-middle copper color, fluffy, lacing-left retention of the top bulbous part of the glass, and good sniper-like singular carbonation floating to the top.

Smell: Earthy and candied bitterness overall. A lot of citrus and lemon with a swirl, caramel, husk, and woodiness. It's a little imbalanced, but it has balls, and I like that, and there's a lot going on.

Taste: I mostly like the finish here, which goes from sweet to bitter and from bitter to sweet, all fairly quickly. There's honey and caramel, there's some bitter rind earthiness and tree bark. I don't mind the morphine flavors here. There's a lot going on, and I like it. Every second with each sip there's good stuff going on. I think that should be admired. And the finish is long, and the same.

Mouthfeel: Good and medium-bodied, though it should be deemed heavier, more cloying. Alas, I feel it's not, and the carbonation does its work and cuts through overall.

Drinkability: This is a weird brew for me, mainly because of it's morphing and shiftiness, but I like it after everything. I don't think most of the reviews do it justice. It's a more candied IPA, but it's got a weird, earthy nature that I like overall. And the 4-pack was only around $7, meaning I'd like to get another one at some point, and since this is my first Stevens Point brew, I won't mind trying a few more if I can find them.

2.74/5  rDev -21.9%

Clear amber orange with a tight gray head that fades to a skim and leaves spotty lace.
The nose exudes caramel and copper. Not exactly what I'd expect from a IIPA. Some orange nuance comes out as it warms.
Malty full and sweet in the mouth. Loads of caramel. Some berries. Some bubblegum. Honey. Nuts. Toasted grain. Hops are M.I.A., flavorwise, aside from a vague citric orange rind vapor, and a wan smear of pine tar. It fares better in the bitterness department, but seems incongruent, given that nothing precedes it.
Medium full, grabby malt heavy bodied. It seems much more an Old Ale than an Imperial India Pale Ale.
It's not awful, but when you brag about your hop-focused beer, the drinker better be able to actually taste them. It's a mess for the style.

3.55/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

pours a dirty copper hue with frothy head that leaves nice lacing down glass

very malty on the nose... brown sugar and molasses. detect the hops as undertones... pine & light citrus

wow, not what I expected from a IIPA... almost all malts on the flavor: bready, sweet candy & caramel. it does offer a bit of bitterness on the end that lingers as boozy.

best part of the beer. medium body that is thick & creamy. feels nice on the palate

decent beer but does not strike me as a IIPA. I think I would have enjoyed beer much more if it were classified as a strong ale. just a little out of balance missing that citrus many look for in an imperial pale ale. if you looking for some sharp hops, better pass on this one.

3.8/5  rDev +8.3%

At ta recent beer tasting soiree and I brought a Stevens Point 6-Hop Whole Hog IPA that I got from teh bargin bin at Binny's. The beer poured clear amber with decent white head that laced on my glass. The scent had subtle sweetness and hops. The taste mirrored the scent....because it started a little sweet by (I think) molasis then finished with a hop after tastethat left just a little bitterness on the pallet. The sweet malt was used I am sure to cover/mask the higher ABV...this beer is a big beer. Due to the big ABV there was alcohol present in the taste which downgraded the mouthfeel....for me.

3.24/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours copper with effervescence & 3+ fingers of tan head. Average lacing & near zero head retention

S: Breadyness, apricots & grassy hops in minute quantities, grassy hops pick up as this warms

T: Breadyness, fruittyness & grapefruit up front, plus herbal & woody hops. Dryness, caramel, a bit boozey with near astringent bitterness & apricot fruittyness as this warms. Finishes with leafy hops, boozeyness, plus grapefruit, but mostly a bit of a disjointed mess

MF: Medium bodied, kind of sticky, low carbonation; so-so balance

Drinks okay, not in love with the hop blend here & is a bit boozey throughout. This would do in a pinch, otherwise pass...

2.61/5  rDev -25.6%

12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a clear coppery amber rose color, with a little over a finger of tight, off-white, foamy head. This retains with a rich 1/2 finger that leaves some thick spotty lace down the sides of the glass. The aroma is VERY sweet with tropical fruits and malt in the nose, which also provides a deep graininess to the proceedings. Some earthy and herbal hops character adds tanginess and sharpness to this.

The hops in the taste are quite earthy feeling, leaving a dirty and pithy bitterness in their wake that sticks to the tongue and is hard to shake. The bitterness is almost an afterthough here however, as they seem to play a distant runner-up to the sweetness here, which consists of bread, caramel, and a STRONG dose of tropical fruits. This is way unbalanced towards the almost cloying side at times. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a soft creamiess to the carbonation that is actually pretty welcome here, as it helps move some rather obvious alcohol beef around. Speaking of which, the ABV never gets over warm here but does help bring out some of the stronger aspects of this, namely that sweetness and overly bitter finish.

Well I can't really say that I dug this one a whole lot beyond the initial look. Very unbalanced profile here, being overly sticky and sweet in some areas and then harshly bitter in others. I think that for 9%, this actually did a really good job of keeping the alcohol hidden for the most part, especially considering that the flavors sure didn't things any favors. This is one DIPA that I would not go back to.

3.33/5  rDev -5.1%

A - clear light copper with some bubbles clinging to the sides, short head retained at a thin cover
S - big caramel, there is a minty type aroma, some herbs, not bad aromas but a little confusing for the style
T - big butterscotch maltiness right away, herbal hops, lightly fruity and minty in the background, again doesn't taste bad but strange for the style
M - light and just a little on the thin or flat side, light bitter finish
O - a bit of an enigma for me, the maltiness seems to dominate, and while it is definitely tasty its not what i'm looking for in a DIPA

3.45/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

A nice slow pour yielded a dark ruby orange liquid with a creamy head. Lacing, yes, but it dissolved halfway through the brew. Smell was hoppy, but much weaker than expected. Actually, it smelled sweeter than hoppy. This was surprising given the fact that the "six hop" aspect of the beer is clearly emphasized. Taste was sugary and sweet, with a bitter backbone from the hops. Thick sticky mouthfeel.

Ok, so I enjoyed this beer. I am not going to lie. They should stop emphasizing the hops in the beer because it really throws the drinker off. Still, it is a tasty brew. I wouldn't seek it out, but I would absolutely drink it again.

2.75/5  rDev -21.7%

A - poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Off-white two finger head that held retention nicely. Thick lacing, dark amber. No freshness dating noted on bottle.

S - as the beer's title would suggest there's lots of hops in there! A tinge of alcohol was detected.

T - a tinny taste with alcohol apparent. Pepper in the aftertaste.

M - light to medium-bodied, but that metallic aftertaste sticks with me. less than average carbonation.

D - not on my list of faves. the smell and appearance had me going early but the taste stifled me. will not buy again.

3.67/5  rDev +4.6%

Sampled on January 13, 2012. It pours medium amber with little no head and decent clarity. Six Hops they say but in the aroma I really do not get much in the way of hops at all. It is more bready and malty with just a mellow hop bite. The body is creamy and smooth. But the taste was the life saver on this beer as it came on strong up front with a fruit-like sweetness followed by a hoppy bitterness that finished on the dryer side. Easy to drink though.

3.48/5  rDev -0.9%

Quite a jaunty little hog pictured on the label, it looks like a dog chasing a fox or something. Never saw a pig gallop, maybe it's a rodeo pig?

Poured a crimson orange into a snifter, at a height of 4-6" it produced a finger of ecru foam that faded slowly into a ring and thin veil over the surface. Aroma was grassy and botanical with toasted malts peeking through, not the strong hop dominance I was expecting. It was okay, more just like an average IPA smells.

Caramel and bitter grassy hop presence, as it warmed the alcohol became more apparent. Some floral/soapy/bitter hop character, reminded me of an imperialized SNPA. Sort of dissonant and not fully meshed. Full bodied with some astringency and heat. That said it was light enough to finish the bottle, glad I was able to find it as a single though.

2.77/5  rDev -21.1%

A - a lovely copper with startling clarity, it truly poured beautifully. If the review stopped here it would be a winner.

S - Not nearly as hoppy as I was expecting, nor as hoppy as I hoped for.

T - I was very disappointed in the taste. Overly malty and unbalanced, I would hesitate to call this an IPA.

M - Mouthfeel was "mushy." I found it most unpleasant.

D - I finished the one but would not have been able to drink another. Overall I was very disappointed with this beer.

2.46/5  rDev -29.9%

A: Pours a hazy dark amber. One finger of head that dissipates in seconds.

S: Flat. Practically snorting the beer, I almost dipped my nose in it to try to get something distinctive. Nothing to speak of.

T: Hmmmm....well, um....hmm. I really don't know what to say. I suppose it hides the 8.5% awfully well, but doesn't do much else. It is surprisingly smooth, but the hops just don't come through the way I thought they would, and they aren't compensated with much malt either.

M: Full as one would expect from an IIPA, with a little alcohol heat, but not much. The hops leave a bit of a bittering coat in the finish.

D: It's an IIPA, and though a fairly smooth one for the style, it's not a session beer.

Verdict: I don't really know what to say again. This REALLY isn't a bad beer; it also REALLY isn't a "good" beer. Maybe this will be the best way of putting it: if my double IPA homebrew turns out like this, I'll be somewhat nonplussed. If offered one, I wouldn't turn it down. That said, I won't buy it again.

3.91/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz twist-off poured into a snifter
8.5% ABV

A - Awesome in color, this hazed beer is a rich, deep golden honey color that is crowned by a long-lasting cap of off-white foam. Rocky peaks of lace are left steadfast on the glass.

S - Firm, assertive hops have an explosive nose but they don't quite present a fresh hop scent. Combined with the sturdy, bread-like Munich malt backbone, the hops seem to have a musty, old cardboard oxidized aroma though they definitely bring the IBUs. The hop aroma is predominantly earthy but highlights biter grapefruit skin as well juice, lemongrass, and pine notes.

T - Hop forward like the aroma but nearly as "old" tasting, the flavor profile captures some of the same grapefruit undertones like jam thinly spread across a toasted English muffin.

M - Whole Hop Six Hop IPA might be a little dull in aroma and flavor but it shines when it comes to mouthfeel! A smooth and soft entry leads to faint alcohol warmth and a wonderful carbonation level before dry hop bitterness punctuates the finish!

O - Point's Whole Hog double IPA might not win over the hearts of every hop head out there but it's on the right track. Maybe the combination of six hops becomes a bit to muddled, producing the "old" character but the bitterness and balance with the smooth malt profile is wonderful.

3.18/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours out really clear light yellow to amber with a smidge of white suds. Plenty of effervescence and some lacing.
Smell is sugar and malt before the hop. Almost a cotton candy aroma.
Taste is a dirty mix of hop and sugar water. Not a lot going on here. The only thing good here is that it's hiding the alcohol very well.
Mouthfeel is a little sticky from the sugars. This one is a bit too sweet for me.
Overall I wouldn 't rate this a good IPA. Just average.

3.53/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this one as a great extra recently. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, I decided to start my night off with it last night. Consumed on 06/24/2009.

The pour was nice. Caramel tinted amber coming out of the bottle with a nice level of carbonation and a smooth, rich look to it. Nice head, maybe an inch of white comes up and over the top, settling down nicely with minimal side glass lacing. A very interesting profile. Piney hops up front but there is definitely some balance to be had here as the bready malt notes are very easily picked up here. Nice grassy and herbal quality to it as well. Smooth flavor, not much going on in the way of overpowering anything, it was much more mellowed, subdued even then I thought it would be, still though, nice piney hops notes, light hints of citrus around the edges with lots of malty exposure going on. Well balanced carbonation with a smooth, easy to drink profile and nice medium body.

Overall very solid. I would not have a problem with having this one again, just thought it would have been a bit bigger on the hops then it turned out to be. Still a very solid offering though.

3.69/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I have got to say, I wasn't expecting much. Especially after seeing average reviews, but I actually made an account for this beer. I have had a few hundred IPAs, and I think this one is above average. It has layers of hops throughout the flavor profile. Front, back, middle, all over. The sweet malt ties it all together and balances it out. I really think this is slightly underrated. I do not see a clear date on the bottle, which does bother me.

4.03/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a rusted ruby color with a big foamy tan head. Head falls very slow. Decent lace.

Has a nice floral hop nose. Smells like it could be good.

Pronounced hop flavor. Bit slick and oily with a nice alcohol finish. Pretty darn good.

Medium bodied in the mouth. Bit slick on the tongue and a slight alcohol bite.

I like it. Nice IPA coming from the Point brewery. Would have again.

to view more.