Whole Hog Six Hop IPA - Stevens Point Brewery

Whole Hog Six Hop IPAWhole Hog Six Hop IPA

good

Stevens Point Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: SykDoc on 04-12-2009)
View: Beers (35) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
BHopp12

1.8/5  rDev -48.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: A lighter gold color with a thin white head that remains throughout

S: Some citrus hops maybe a little caramel malt

T: Very bland, not as hoppy as expected in a DIPA and mostly just a malt flavor

M: Low carbonation and a little piney note

O: Maybe this was a bad beer but the date on it was from October. Not very impressed with this one and will not have again.

01-19-2012 15:30:55 | More by BHopp12
shohog

1.83/5  rDev -47.7%

Poured into a pint glass and it has a nice clear amber copper color typical of IPAs. The head was 1-2 fingers which disappeared quickly.

Where is the smell of all these 6 hops? You would think at least one of the hops would have been detected in the beer loaded with 6 varieties of hops.

These hops must all have been bittering hops because this beer tasted like a chewed up aspirin. This beer has a extemely bad bitter aftertaste that lingers.

Steven's Point makes some nice beers but they totally blew it on this one. This one is pathetic and it should be TERMINATED!

10-20-2009 01:09:25 | More by shohog
BenBraswell

04-08-2012 00:33:27 | More by BenBraswell
nelson4

2.08/5  rDev -40.6%

Poured out of a bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass.

A - Light golden, straw. Seems very clear. I am excited

S - I am not excited. Heavy on malt with a slight lemon tinge on the finish (not in a good way)

T - Continues to be unbalanced. I don't want another sip. I would order this over a bud light, but it is close. Malty sweetness overpowers until it gives way to a sticky sharp bitter. I am not happy.

M - Average when considering the style. Slightly heavy and sticky. Flavors tend to linger. This would be okay if it was good. Carbonation is on point.

O - I am hoping that this is better fresh, or that maybe I got a bad bottle. Maybe I ate the wrong thing before trying (I didn't, but maybe). I have three more left. This makes me sad.

02-19-2012 05:13:18 | More by nelson4
jsulko

2.08/5  rDev -40.6%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass

Pours a hazy goldish color with a white head that does not linger.

Smell is malty with a slight citrus smell.

Taste is quite odd for an IPA or DIPA. Malty and sweet with a fruity bitterness on the finish.

I have had quite a few different DIPA's ranging from the Piney to the Malty. This one is a complete miss for me and makes me wonder if the last run of this product just went south. Positive reviews in All About Beer make me wonder if we were tasking the same beer.

04-05-2012 03:02:01 | More by jsulko
Deuane

2.28/5  rDev -34.9%

A-Slightly hazy deep copper with a thin off-white head that hangs on strong and leaves decent coating lace.

S-Musty citrus and a touch of malt sweetness and that is really it. Not very aromatic....certainly you know there are malt and hops in this but....

T-What the? Yuk is the first word that popped into my head. Seriously out of balanced orange bitterness--almost like overripe fruit--strong rind notes riding on top of a weak caramel malt base. This simply does not work at all for me.

M-Medium body and at first OK but then the nasty lingering bitterness takes over and makes this totally unpleasant.

D-For a beer I was excited about getting...geesh! I am a person who LOVES and can handle my hops in abundance but this is just unbalanced and wrong! Was it suppose to come out this way, I certainly hope not! There is an art to adding a shit ton of hops to a brew and make it come out tasty-->this is an example of what NOT to do. I am not a drain pourer in general but this one came darn close to meeting that fate.

12-28-2009 21:46:33 | More by Deuane
blackearth

2.42/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured bright orange with a white head. I thought the hop aroma was rather faint, not a good sign for an IPA. The first flavor was a biting, spicy bitterness followed by malt character that didn't stand up to the bitterness. Then comes the dry, bitter after taste which wasn't appealing to me. Maybe this is the kind of "big" IPA that some folks are looking for, but not me.

05-31-2009 19:25:26 | More by blackearth
EJNibs

2.45/5  rDev -30%

A: Pours a hazy dark amber. One finger of head that dissipates in seconds.

S: Flat. Practically snorting the beer, I almost dipped my nose in it to try to get something distinctive. Nothing to speak of.

T: Hmmmm....well, um....hmm. I really don't know what to say. I suppose it hides the 8.5% awfully well, but doesn't do much else. It is surprisingly smooth, but the hops just don't come through the way I thought they would, and they aren't compensated with much malt either.

M: Full as one would expect from an IIPA, with a little alcohol heat, but not much. The hops leave a bit of a bittering coat in the finish.

D: It's an IIPA, and though a fairly smooth one for the style, it's not a session beer.

Verdict: I don't really know what to say again. This REALLY isn't a bad beer; it also REALLY isn't a "good" beer. Maybe this will be the best way of putting it: if my double IPA homebrew turns out like this, I'll be somewhat nonplussed. If offered one, I wouldn't turn it down. That said, I won't buy it again.

12-27-2009 01:34:48 | More by EJNibs
TylerBGoode

2.48/5  rDev -29.1%

I've never been a fan of Stevens Point, but after seeing this I thought it was worth a shot. The Whole Hog series is sort of the signature series of Stevens Points beers, they offer their more unique and flavorful beers and thus charge more per bottle in the process. While other offerings in the Whole Hog series have been styles such as Saisons and Imperial Stouts, this one was a DIPA, and so I figured that a Whole Hog Double IPA would be worth my time. Not so much.

I poured my bottle of Six Hop into a standard pint glass. The color of the beer was a pretty dark amber, darker than I expected. The beer left very little head, and what was there didn't stick around for long. The smell and taste would follow suit with what the hue of the beer originally indicated, more malt than hop. Sure there is a good amount of hop taste, but the maltiness of the brew intrudes way too much here and masks the floral taste and smell of the hops. There's also a pretty strong alcohol flavor with every sip, which is to be expected in an 8.5 brew I suppose, but it's still not all that pleasant.

I really can't think of a whole lot of IPAs that I've enjoyed less than this one.The drinkability is low based on it's rather high alcohol content and taste. But, to be honest, my time is better spent with a better tasting beer so I'm pretty sure that Stevens Point Six Hop wouldn't become a session beer of mine even with a lower ABV.

10-29-2010 18:04:36 | More by TylerBGoode

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

03-21-2013 01:22:59 | More by ChrisMon02
Kegatron

2.55/5  rDev -27.1%

12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a clear coppery amber rose color, with a little over a finger of tight, off-white, foamy head. This retains with a rich 1/2 finger that leaves some thick spotty lace down the sides of the glass. The aroma is VERY sweet with tropical fruits and malt in the nose, which also provides a deep graininess to the proceedings. Some earthy and herbal hops character adds tanginess and sharpness to this.

The hops in the taste are quite earthy feeling, leaving a dirty and pithy bitterness in their wake that sticks to the tongue and is hard to shake. The bitterness is almost an afterthough here however, as they seem to play a distant runner-up to the sweetness here, which consists of bread, caramel, and a STRONG dose of tropical fruits. This is way unbalanced towards the almost cloying side at times. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a soft creamiess to the carbonation that is actually pretty welcome here, as it helps move some rather obvious alcohol beef around. Speaking of which, the ABV never gets over warm here but does help bring out some of the stronger aspects of this, namely that sweetness and overly bitter finish.

Well I can't really say that I dug this one a whole lot beyond the initial look. Very unbalanced profile here, being overly sticky and sweet in some areas and then harshly bitter in others. I think that for 9%, this actually did a really good job of keeping the alcohol hidden for the most part, especially considering that the flavors sure didn't things any favors. This is one DIPA that I would not go back to.

07-29-2010 17:06:51 | More by Kegatron
webbcreative

2.58/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a nice deep cooper color with 2 finger white head.

Aroma = Sweet caramel malt, BA calls this a DIPA and I would tend to agree more with that, BUT Point calls this an IPA, so I gotta review according to that, this is too sweet smelling to be an IPA, and the aroma is decent, but it doesnt have that nice, citrus, piney smell that I like so much.

Taste = Again, sweet caramel malt, with big hop bitterness, but no citrus or piney hops, and the taste comes across like medicine.

Mouthfeel = For an IPA to thick and sticky.

Drinkability = Although it's 8.5% abv, you would never know it, so its pretty drinkable in that aspect, but overall I wouldn't be able to put down more than one of these because of the flavor.

Overall = If im looking for an IPA [or a DIPA] I would look almost ANYWHERE else but this one for that fix. And its actually getting worse at it warms to me.

11-01-2009 19:10:27 | More by webbcreative
maleman

Mississippi

2.65/5  rDev -24.3%

A - poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Off-white two finger head that held retention nicely. Thick lacing, dark amber. No freshness dating noted on bottle.

S - as the beer's title would suggest there's lots of hops in there! A tinge of alcohol was detected.

T - a tinny taste with alcohol apparent. Pepper in the aftertaste.

M - light to medium-bodied, but that metallic aftertaste sticks with me. less than average carbonation.

D - not on my list of faves. the smell and appearance had me going early but the taste stifled me. will not buy again.

08-19-2010 22:57:48 | More by maleman
homebrew311

2.65/5  rDev -24.3%

I came across this new beer at my local liquor store. I am always intrigued by new imperial 4 packs, especially ones that are 7.99. It took me a moment to figure out that this was brewed by Point as it's label is entirely different than Point's other offering.

A: Pours a deep golden/amber color that is transparent. A 1 finger soapy white head forms and leaves a good deal of lacing throughout.

S: Given the style and the name of the beer, the aroma threw me for a loop. Sweet caramel notes first followed by more malts. There is a slight earthy hop flavor towards the end, but certainly not what you would expect from a "6 Hop IPA". That being said, it does have a nice aroma, just not for the style.

T: Well I found some hops on the tongue, but not the good kind. Very bitter hops without that nice bright citrus flavor that tones down the bitterness in other hoppy ipas. A lot of sweet malts coming through like the nose, this reminds me more of an amber or scotch ale over an IPA. Too bad...

M: A fairly heavy body that lends nicely to this high gravity brew. Lower on the carbonation than expected. Slightly sticky.

D: Well for 8.5%, the alcohol is well hidden and this beer is easy to drink. You are better off going into with out knowing its hoppy intentions. This is definitely a disappointment as it doesn't deliver what the packaging claims, however, it is not a bad beer.

10-23-2009 01:16:12 | More by homebrew311
JamesS

Indiana

2.65/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a decent, if light, copper color, with almost no head and with no lacing. Very hoppy scent, but not much more than hoppy water, no real malt sweetness at all to balance it out. Hoppy water taste; the hops don't even match very well with too many attributes (pine, citrus, jerky, etc); no maltiness to even it out at all. It has a very weak body for a higher ABV brew.

11-24-2009 13:45:34 | More by JamesS
cokes

Wisconsin

2.73/5  rDev -22%

Clear amber orange with a tight gray head that fades to a skim and leaves spotty lace.
The nose exudes caramel and copper. Not exactly what I'd expect from a IIPA. Some orange nuance comes out as it warms.
Malty full and sweet in the mouth. Loads of caramel. Some berries. Some bubblegum. Honey. Nuts. Toasted grain. Hops are M.I.A., flavorwise, aside from a vague citric orange rind vapor, and a wan smear of pine tar. It fares better in the bitterness department, but seems incongruent, given that nothing precedes it.
Medium full, grabby malt heavy bodied. It seems much more an Old Ale than an Imperial India Pale Ale.
It's not awful, but when you brag about your hop-focused beer, the drinker better be able to actually taste them. It's a mess for the style.

06-30-2009 06:35:32 | More by cokes
brentk56

2.73/5  rDev -22%

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a three fingered head; excellent retention and it leaves behind strands of lace

Smell: More malty than hoppy, with a grainy, vegetal aroma

Taste: Caramel malt, up front, with a growing grainy aspect that moves into the pine forest by mid-palate; after the swallow, the piney hops dominate but the combination of the hops and malt bill seems rather unbalanced

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Rather disappointing in many ways, unfortunately; looks good, but I didn't care for the aroma or the taste, and that is what it is all about, ultimately

02-21-2011 21:18:10 | More by brentk56
Dibujob

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%

A - a lovely copper with startling clarity, it truly poured beautifully. If the review stopped here it would be a winner.

S - Not nearly as hoppy as I was expecting, nor as hoppy as I hoped for.

T - I was very disappointed in the taste. Overly malty and unbalanced, I would hesitate to call this an IPA.

M - Mouthfeel was "mushy." I found it most unpleasant.

D - I finished the one but would not have been able to drink another. Overall I was very disappointed with this beer.

06-19-2009 03:20:21 | More by Dibujob

08-18-2012 02:22:07 | More by GMan
DarrinRasberry

Iowa

2.8/5  rDev -20%

A: Head vanishes quickly and leaves no lacing. Body looks like an IPA. Nothing at all remarkable here.

S: Hops and earth over obvious booze.

T: It's all right. Bitter hops and malt dominate with little comparable citrus. Booze, earth, and onions.

M: Nice and thick, but the bitterness is never answered by the crisp finish that I've grown to expect from IPA's.

D: The high booze content is not well-hidden, and certainly does not grow on you.

06-04-2010 01:52:32 | More by DarrinRasberry
Jimmys

2.8/5  rDev -20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into tulip. no bottled on date.

A: bright copper body. white head is foamy and has good retention/average lacing. very pretty copper color.

S: the earthy herbal hop aroma battles hard with brown sugar and caramel. a little bit of acetaldehyde/green apple?

T: lots of caramel candied malt flavor. cant really fight through the grain to get a real hop flavor/presence. a little nail polish-y. alcohol.

M: average carbonation on a medium/full body.

D: too many problems for me to really enjoy this too much. pass imo.

07-23-2012 02:29:25 | More by Jimmys
brow1901

2.83/5  rDev -19.1%

A- Clear rusty amber color. Small head that diminishes quickly but leaves a bit of lacing as it goes. Not bad in appearance the clarity of the beer almost seems unusual but whatever.

S- Alright I'm starting to question this beer even being an IPA. Hardly a hop character, I'm not sure what is wrong with the beer. Maybe its old but I've had IPA's past their prime that smelled better. It could be that the blend of the six hops just doesn't work. There is just nothing siginficant no nice citrus grapefruit or piney smells.

T- Same story with the taste, not nearly as much hops as I hoped for, even for an east coast IPA. The taste practically downright bad. Some how it reminds me of a pils blended with a pale ale, just really awkward.

M- Strange carbonation, big fizzy bubbles untypical of an IPA, this makes the beer less smooth and less drinkable.

D- Not very drinkable I didn't really enjoy it that much. Not worth a try IMO.

06-11-2009 02:40:21 | More by brow1901