Whole Hog Six Hop IPA - Stevens Point Brewery

Wisconsin, United States

Beer added by: SykDoc on 04-12-2009

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

A - Clear copper with a thin off white head even with a vigorous pour. Slight spotty lacing but not much to speak of.

S - Sweet caramel with toasty malts and a slight grassy hop presence. Not the hop aroma I was expecting after reading the label.

T - Sweet caramel, slightly grainy toasted malts, a touch of grassy and maybe even piney hops but the hops are definitely missing on this one.

M - Medium body with some alcohol hotness and a lingering sweetness. Slightly watery in the aftertaste which makes it a little easier to drink.

D - The only thing DIPA about this is the abv. Rather disappointing. (606 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +21.5%

A clear copper caramel color with a goodly off-white head and solid lacing. The aroma is sweet pine and caramel malt, very enticing and smooth. The taste offers pleasantly toned down sweetness of the caramel malt with a nice grassy pine bitterness. The hops eventually suggest some orange citrus with a dry rye cover, kind of earthy and sort of burnt earth/pine. Well carbonated, mid to light bodied. Overall a little different and enjoyable. Plenty drinkable, however, I will say that I had no idea this was a double IPA until I called up the page for this review. It doesn't seem nearly powerful enough to warrant that label. It's more a middle of the road IPA with relatively mellow hop presence. (699 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +25.7%

CDKrenz, thanks for the trade...
Poured into a pint glass this brew has the best red amber color that has a tint of ruby when held to the light. The head is a reddish cream color that settles to a thin cap with nice sticky lacing all on the glass. The aroma is HOP goodness! Some floral notes with a strong hint of spice. The taste is bold and balanced at the same time. You can almost chew through the bitterness that is left in your mouth taunting you to take another drink. Well done! (487 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +2.7%

Quite a jaunty little hog pictured on the label, it looks like a dog chasing a fox or something. Never saw a pig gallop, maybe it's a rodeo pig?

Poured a crimson orange into a snifter, at a height of 4-6" it produced a finger of ecru foam that faded slowly into a ring and thin veil over the surface. Aroma was grassy and botanical with toasted malts peeking through, not the strong hop dominance I was expecting. It was okay, more just like an average IPA smells.

Caramel and bitter grassy hop presence, as it warmed the alcohol became more apparent. Some floral/soapy/bitter hop character, reminded me of an imperialized SNPA. Sort of dissonant and not fully meshed. Full bodied with some astringency and heat. That said it was light enough to finish the bottle, glad I was able to find it as a single though. (814 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -19.2%

Clear amber orange with a tight gray head that fades to a skim and leaves spotty lace.
The nose exudes caramel and copper. Not exactly what I'd expect from a IIPA. Some orange nuance comes out as it warms.
Malty full and sweet in the mouth. Loads of caramel. Some berries. Some bubblegum. Honey. Nuts. Toasted grain. Hops are M.I.A., flavorwise, aside from a vague citric orange rind vapor, and a wan smear of pine tar. It fares better in the bitterness department, but seems incongruent, given that nothing precedes it.
Medium full, grabby malt heavy bodied. It seems much more an Old Ale than an Imperial India Pale Ale.
It's not awful, but when you brag about your hop-focused beer, the drinker better be able to actually taste them. It's a mess for the style. (763 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this one as a great extra recently. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, I decided to start my night off with it last night. Consumed on 06/24/2009.

The pour was nice. Caramel tinted amber coming out of the bottle with a nice level of carbonation and a smooth, rich look to it. Nice head, maybe an inch of white comes up and over the top, settling down nicely with minimal side glass lacing. A very interesting profile. Piney hops up front but there is definitely some balance to be had here as the bready malt notes are very easily picked up here. Nice grassy and herbal quality to it as well. Smooth flavor, not much going on in the way of overpowering anything, it was much more mellowed, subdued even then I thought it would be, still though, nice piney hops notes, light hints of citrus around the edges with lots of malty exposure going on. Well balanced carbonation with a smooth, easy to drink profile and nice medium body.

Overall very solid. I would not have a problem with having this one again, just thought it would have been a bit bigger on the hops then it turned out to be. Still a very solid offering though. (1,144 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

pours light orange, decent head

Multiple hop aromas are indeed present: flowers, grass, butter, pine, and grapefruit.

But do they all go together? Starts out sweet, then buttery, then pine shows up, a bit of a grassy grapefruit aftertaste.

Medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

An ambitious attempt, but to me it suffers from a lack of direction. It's hoppy. And there are different hops. But they aren't really working together at this point. And I was never a fan of buttery/grassy flavors in an IPA anyway. Eh, it was an interesting experiment, but was not among my favorite IPAs. (583 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -18.3%

A - a lovely copper with startling clarity, it truly poured beautifully. If the review stopped here it would be a winner.

S - Not nearly as hoppy as I was expecting, nor as hoppy as I hoped for.

T - I was very disappointed in the taste. Overly malty and unbalanced, I would hesitate to call this an IPA.

M - Mouthfeel was "mushy." I found it most unpleasant.

D - I finished the one but would not have been able to drink another. Overall I was very disappointed with this beer. (484 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks to Mike Mittendorf for his generosity.

A - Rich red colored body with a nice off-white to nearly tan head starting out at an inch and a half but fading thin rather quickly. The red color is really the eye-catcher with this pig.

S - I'm not really smelling anything here.

T - This is a smooth flavored brew. The hops are thick in the finish and hinting to start. The middle is a perfect acceleration that presses near perfectly.

M - I've never done this before but... see my "T".

~ Overall, I like this beer. I recommend you give it a try. It's great to see my local brewing offering a solid IPA. Thanks guys and gals. (630 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -16.2%

A- Clear rusty amber color. Small head that diminishes quickly but leaves a bit of lacing as it goes. Not bad in appearance the clarity of the beer almost seems unusual but whatever.

S- Alright I'm starting to question this beer even being an IPA. Hardly a hop character, I'm not sure what is wrong with the beer. Maybe its old but I've had IPA's past their prime that smelled better. It could be that the blend of the six hops just doesn't work. There is just nothing siginficant no nice citrus grapefruit or piney smells.

T- Same story with the taste, not nearly as much hops as I hoped for, even for an east coast IPA. The taste practically downright bad. Some how it reminds me of a pils blended with a pale ale, just really awkward.

M- Strange carbonation, big fizzy bubbles untypical of an IPA, this makes the beer less smooth and less drinkable.

D- Not very drinkable I didn't really enjoy it that much. Not worth a try IMO. (936 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Copper-amber body with a decent sized offwhite head... Moderate retention and good lacing.

S: Slight pine. Rich caramel malt and a soft floral undertone. Not particularly hoppy.

T: Follows the nose, with a rich malt base, the hops don't really shine through. Considering it is brewed with six hops, its not particularly bitter nor strong in hop flavorings.

M: Smooth. Medium bodied.

D: Not bad. Somewhat bland. Nothing really makes me want to drink this beer again though. (479 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -28%

Poured bright orange with a white head. I thought the hop aroma was rather faint, not a good sign for an IPA. The first flavor was a biting, spicy bitterness followed by malt character that didn't stand up to the bitterness. Then comes the dry, bitter after taste which wasn't appealing to me. Maybe this is the kind of "big" IPA that some folks are looking for, but not me. (374 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic.

Pours a light amber with perfect clarity and a two inch head that recedes to a cap. Lace sticks like rubber.

Smell is of malt. Sweet toasty malt with a hop rider of bitterness. Toasted whole wheat bread with honey. Crackery bready aromas on the finish.

Taste is malt up front. Malt is creamy and powerful, very well represented. Hops are big here, piney earthey and fresh. Grapefruit and resinous pine and vegemite like flavors. Malt is the powerhouse here, enough that there is a balance, but it kinda kills the hoppiness of the brew. As the beer warms I get a boozey flavor, which is completely expected given the ABV.

Mouthfeel is thick, oily and everything I would expect from a higher ABV ale. Carbonation is spot on.

I think I would call this a double or imperial IPA rather than an straight American IPA. At 8.5% the price point per fou pack is astonsishing. This is 90 minute at less than 60 minute prices. (954 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -3.5%

I had this beer as a sample yesterday. It poured a very clear gold/straw color with a small white head. Smell had a decent amount of Pine and citrus in it and I got excited for the taste. The taste however let me down a bit. It didn't match the smell, it was more malty sweet than the hops that were in the nose. Just average. M and D were OK, but each sip left something to be desired out of this beer. (403 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured into a pint. Extremely clear amber with a thick tan head that survived a surprisingly long time. Short on aroma. Initial flavor was overly crisp, lacking the sweet nuances I enjoy in better IPAs and DIPAs. Sharp citrus and pine notes begin with a fairly long bitter finish, some caramel notes complement the finish and support the next sip. While not deep or complex, it is a satisfying IPA that could be enjoyed as a session. Point Special was my college beer back in the "when you're out of Point, you're out of town" days. Today, it doesn't live up to my memories. But this beer was a welcome find. Too bad it's a limited release. Far from the best beer I have ever had. But a darn satisfying pint none the less! (722 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +28.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It pours a nice copper/amber color. A 1/2 inch off-white head forms and slowly reduces with a nice full coverage lacing. The carbonation is obvious.

The aroma is, as expected, heavy in pine and citrus up front. A mild earthy component lingers with a mild sweet malt backbone.

The taste is again strong on the citrus and pine but also has a solid earthy and malty sweet component that balances quite nicely. The nice bitterness lingers but not too long.

The mouthfeel starts out medium/full bodied with a nice crispiness from the carbonation. It is not too thick and goes down fairly smooth. The dry/bitterness that lingers makes this an enjoyable beer to sip because it sits around for a little while.

Overall, I was quite impressed with this beer. I saw it on the shelf at our local best place to get beer and figured I would give it a try. I certainly think this beer can compete with some of the best. It could have been a bit stiffer in aroma and the flavor could have punished a bit more, but this is a very good beer and I will be trying to get more. (1,108 characters)

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last