Whole Hog Six Hop IPA - Stevens Point Brewery

good

pDev: 16%
Stevens Point Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: SykDoc on 04-12-2009)
Tpsauer

06-23-2012 16:09:28 | More by Tpsauer
peabody

Kentucky

3.15/5  rDev -10%

Pours out really clear light yellow to amber with a smidge of white suds. Plenty of effervescence and some lacing.
Smell is sugar and malt before the hop. Almost a cotton candy aroma.
Taste is a dirty mix of hop and sugar water. Not a lot going on here. The only thing good here is that it's hiding the alcohol very well.
Mouthfeel is a little sticky from the sugars. This one is a bit too sweet for me.
Overall I wouldn 't rate this a good IPA. Just average.

06-10-2012 00:58:58 | More by peabody

Indiana

04-23-2012 00:41:41 | More by gratefuld
TheHoppiest

3.48/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a clear copper-amber color, witha 3/4" cream colored head that leaves plenty of sticky lacing as it reduces.

The aroma is sweet, almost too sweet, with a grape-Nerds like smell. Alcohol, caramel malt, tangerine all combine underneath for a more pleasant aroma.

Starts malty and thick, resinous and mildly astringent, with honey malt, piney hops, orange zest and ruby red grapefruit, ending bitter and pithy.

Medium to full bodied, the IBU's must be high in this one 'cuz it is leaving my tongue and gums tingling.

The label advertises this as a six hop extravaganza, with Cluster, WIlliamette, Sterling, Cascade, Lettananger and Perle hops. Clearly there was both dry hopping and hops added during the boil, as it gives you up-front resin and finishing bitterness. Maybe the brewer was concerned this was too much, and dosed it with extra malt to balance the bitter. Or, perhaps this is an older bottle; I can't locate a bottled-on date, though the neck bears a stamp of "0553", which I would guess is a batch number. I'm not saying this has aged too long, especially given its abundant hoppiness, but it does have a maltier taste, and that odd grape-like aroma, you get sometime from a beer that seems a bit aged. Still, I bought this three days ago, and this was the first time I had seen this on the shelf at the place I bought it, so I am guessing that the maltiness is intended. Whichever it is, I find that the malt is overpowering the six varieties of hops and generally taking away from what could be a great brew. I'd love to get a hold of some of this fresh from the brewery and on tap so I could see if the maltiness was intended.

04-20-2012 00:44:57 | More by TheHoppiest
SnatchyMcPants

Indiana

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

04-13-2012 22:15:55 | More by SnatchyMcPants
CaptCleveland

3.4/5  rDev -2.9%

12oz bottle poured in SA glass.

One finger, white head over clear, yellow-gold elixir, settles to thin rim. Minimal lacing.

Aroma of fruit, zest, lightly roasted malt.

Very smooth and muted hop bitterness. Malt comes through in the middle and then the hops linger at the end. Alcohol well hidden.

Tangy carbonation gives way to creamy texture.

Decent. Prefer more hop forward IPAs and much less malt.

04-13-2012 01:41:06 | More by CaptCleveland

BenBraswell

04-08-2012 00:33:27 | More by BenBraswell
jsulko

2.08/5  rDev -40.6%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass

Pours a hazy goldish color with a white head that does not linger.

Smell is malty with a slight citrus smell.

Taste is quite odd for an IPA or DIPA. Malty and sweet with a fruity bitterness on the finish.

I have had quite a few different DIPA's ranging from the Piney to the Malty. This one is a complete miss for me and makes me wonder if the last run of this product just went south. Positive reviews in All About Beer make me wonder if we were tasking the same beer.

04-05-2012 03:02:01 | More by jsulko

04-01-2012 21:11:35 | More by Satchboogie
blackcompg

2.83/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured from their 12oz bottle from their 4-pak:

Appearance - Poured 2 foingers of lite honey colored head, larger bubbles though, and dissipated very quickly. Color is a perfectly transparent amber, like a liquid penny.

Smell - Really nice sweet citrus scent, pineapple, mango, touch of grapefruit, and a whiff of vanilla carmel in the background.

Taste - Damn...I really had higher expectations from the smell. Starts out with a clover honey flavor, not overly sweet, but no citrus either. Hop flavors are all very floral and meadowy, with a definite honey backbone, not carmel. After the first few sips you begin to notice a little alcohol too. Longer into the finish you get some medicinal bitterness, and some grapefruit peel.

Mouthfeel - Hmmm...I'm going to say almost medium because the carb is somewhat low, and the cloying flavors and some alcohol are somewhat strong. Unfortunately, the mouthfeel on this beer seems to amplify the negatives here - I want more carb to cleanse my palate with this one, and the alcohol presence seems to build more after each sip, the alcohol is not hidden well at all here.

Overall - I'm just so disappointed. The price was pretty nice on this one, especially for a beer that had higher ABV and boldly advertises 6 hops. When you take a whiff from the bottle I'm telling you it really smells nice! But then the 2 finger head dissappeared quickly and left no lacing. The taste was avg at first, but then got worse as the beer warmed, not to mention much hotter. I will try to finish the other 3 beers in this 4-pack, but I can't recommend this one at all, especially since 2XIPA is a dollar more for a 6-pak.

03-19-2012 02:45:00 | More by blackcompg
hosehead83

3.98/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Chill-hazed gold in color, with a short, bright white head of foam.
Aroma-Toasted malt, fruity
Taste-Toast and marmalade, understated, underlying hop bite. Nice balance and well-hidden ABV. Recommended.

03-04-2012 17:02:58 | More by hosehead83

Wisconsin

02-26-2012 05:00:05 | More by Vicsvapo
nelson4

2.08/5  rDev -40.6%

Poured out of a bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass.

A - Light golden, straw. Seems very clear. I am excited

S - I am not excited. Heavy on malt with a slight lemon tinge on the finish (not in a good way)

T - Continues to be unbalanced. I don't want another sip. I would order this over a bud light, but it is close. Malty sweetness overpowers until it gives way to a sticky sharp bitter. I am not happy.

M - Average when considering the style. Slightly heavy and sticky. Flavors tend to linger. This would be okay if it was good. Carbonation is on point.

O - I am hoping that this is better fresh, or that maybe I got a bad bottle. Maybe I ate the wrong thing before trying (I didn't, but maybe). I have three more left. This makes me sad.

02-19-2012 05:13:18 | More by nelson4