Whole Hog Six Hop IPA - Stevens Point Brewery

Wisconsin, United States

Beer added by: SykDoc on 04-12-2009

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
2.75/5  rDev -18.9%

A - poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Off-white two finger head that held retention nicely. Thick lacing, dark amber. No freshness dating noted on bottle.

S - as the beer's title would suggest there's lots of hops in there! A tinge of alcohol was detected.

T - a tinny taste with alcohol apparent. Pepper in the aftertaste.

M - light to medium-bodied, but that metallic aftertaste sticks with me. less than average carbonation.

D - not on my list of faves. the smell and appearance had me going early but the taste stifled me. will not buy again. (562 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -16.2%

A- Clear rusty amber color. Small head that diminishes quickly but leaves a bit of lacing as it goes. Not bad in appearance the clarity of the beer almost seems unusual but whatever.

S- Alright I'm starting to question this beer even being an IPA. Hardly a hop character, I'm not sure what is wrong with the beer. Maybe its old but I've had IPA's past their prime that smelled better. It could be that the blend of the six hops just doesn't work. There is just nothing siginficant no nice citrus grapefruit or piney smells.

T- Same story with the taste, not nearly as much hops as I hoped for, even for an east coast IPA. The taste practically downright bad. Some how it reminds me of a pils blended with a pale ale, just really awkward.

M- Strange carbonation, big fizzy bubbles untypical of an IPA, this makes the beer less smooth and less drinkable.

D- Not very drinkable I didn't really enjoy it that much. Not worth a try IMO. (936 characters)

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Newcastle Geordie Schooner.

A: a bit hazy, not much action on top. Only a slight rim of bubbles around the glass after the pour settled.

S: not much activity here either. A bit of hops on the nose. Mostly grain.

T: not hoppy, not malty. Somewhere in the grey area in between. I expect an IPA (particularly one presented as *SIX HOP* IPA) to be a bit hops forward. Not the case here. Very balanced.

M: A little slick, but carbonation is good.

O: Pretty much a middle of the road IPA. Nothing to see (or taste) here. If the opportunity presents itself, endulge- but don"t seek it out. (622 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

pours a nice bright amber/copper, fluffy white head.
Not a lot of hop in the odor, i get some booze, but not much hop or citrus.
tastes sweet and malty, again not a lot of hop. I guess i would not put this in the category of Imperial IPA.
It is certainly good and drinkable but seems off for the style. (303 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -47.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: A lighter gold color with a thin white head that remains throughout

S: Some citrus hops maybe a little caramel malt

T: Very bland, not as hoppy as expected in a DIPA and mostly just a malt flavor

M: Low carbonation and a little piney note

O: Maybe this was a bad beer but the date on it was from October. Not very impressed with this one and will not have again. (405 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured into a pint. Extremely clear amber with a thick tan head that survived a surprisingly long time. Short on aroma. Initial flavor was overly crisp, lacking the sweet nuances I enjoy in better IPAs and DIPAs. Sharp citrus and pine notes begin with a fairly long bitter finish, some caramel notes complement the finish and support the next sip. While not deep or complex, it is a satisfying IPA that could be enjoyed as a session. Point Special was my college beer back in the "when you're out of Point, you're out of town" days. Today, it doesn't live up to my memories. But this beer was a welcome find. Too bad it's a limited release. Far from the best beer I have ever had. But a darn satisfying pint none the less! (722 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -3.5%

4/18/10--gave this one another chance after what I really thought was an old bottle. This time around it was much better. Citrus and Pine hop aroma were stronger, head retention better, and hop flavor a little better; mouthfeel still a little oily and slick and watery. Still not my favorite DIPA, but better than my first impression.

3/1/10, poured from bottle into tall lager glass.

Very clear, almost watery, golden brown color. Small head that quickly flattened to nothing. Not really smelling the hops, just kind of a weak aroma. Taste is nothing interesting at all, very disappointing. Almost like it was flat or old, although I couldn't find a date. Mouthfeel was slick and highly carbonated. Will try another later to see if it was just a bad bottle. (761 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -36.9%

Poured out of a bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass.

A - Light golden, straw. Seems very clear. I am excited

S - I am not excited. Heavy on malt with a slight lemon tinge on the finish (not in a good way)

T - Continues to be unbalanced. I don't want another sip. I would order this over a bud light, but it is close. Malty sweetness overpowers until it gives way to a sticky sharp bitter. I am not happy.

M - Average when considering the style. Slightly heavy and sticky. Flavors tend to linger. This would be okay if it was good. Carbonation is on point.

O - I am hoping that this is better fresh, or that maybe I got a bad bottle. Maybe I ate the wrong thing before trying (I didn't, but maybe). I have three more left. This makes me sad. (747 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -18.3%

A - a lovely copper with startling clarity, it truly poured beautifully. If the review stopped here it would be a winner.

S - Not nearly as hoppy as I was expecting, nor as hoppy as I hoped for.

T - I was very disappointed in the taste. Overly malty and unbalanced, I would hesitate to call this an IPA.

M - Mouthfeel was "mushy." I found it most unpleasant.

D - I finished the one but would not have been able to drink another. Overall I was very disappointed with this beer. (484 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -27.4%

A: Pours a hazy dark amber. One finger of head that dissipates in seconds.

S: Flat. Practically snorting the beer, I almost dipped my nose in it to try to get something distinctive. Nothing to speak of.

T: Hmmmm....well, um....hmm. I really don't know what to say. I suppose it hides the 8.5% awfully well, but doesn't do much else. It is surprisingly smooth, but the hops just don't come through the way I thought they would, and they aren't compensated with much malt either.

M: Full as one would expect from an IIPA, with a little alcohol heat, but not much. The hops leave a bit of a bittering coat in the finish.

D: It's an IIPA, and though a fairly smooth one for the style, it's not a session beer.

Verdict: I don't really know what to say again. This REALLY isn't a bad beer; it also REALLY isn't a "good" beer. Maybe this will be the best way of putting it: if my double IPA homebrew turns out like this, I'll be somewhat nonplussed. If offered one, I wouldn't turn it down. That said, I won't buy it again. (1,021 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -45.7%

Poured into a pint glass and it has a nice clear amber copper color typical of IPAs. The head was 1-2 fingers which disappeared quickly.

Where is the smell of all these 6 hops? You would think at least one of the hops would have been detected in the beer loaded with 6 varieties of hops.

These hops must all have been bittering hops because this beer tasted like a chewed up aspirin. This beer has a extemely bad bitter aftertaste that lingers.

Steven's Point makes some nice beers but they totally blew it on this one. This one is pathetic and it should be TERMINATED! (574 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Head vanishes quickly and leaves no lacing. Body looks like an IPA. Nothing at all remarkable here.

S: Hops and earth over obvious booze.

T: It's all right. Bitter hops and malt dominate with little comparable citrus. Booze, earth, and onions.

M: Nice and thick, but the bitterness is never answered by the crisp finish that I've grown to expect from IPA's.

D: The high booze content is not well-hidden, and certainly does not grow on you. (449 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -26.8%

I've never been a fan of Stevens Point, but after seeing this I thought it was worth a shot. The Whole Hog series is sort of the signature series of Stevens Points beers, they offer their more unique and flavorful beers and thus charge more per bottle in the process. While other offerings in the Whole Hog series have been styles such as Saisons and Imperial Stouts, this one was a DIPA, and so I figured that a Whole Hog Double IPA would be worth my time. Not so much.

I poured my bottle of Six Hop into a standard pint glass. The color of the beer was a pretty dark amber, darker than I expected. The beer left very little head, and what was there didn't stick around for long. The smell and taste would follow suit with what the hue of the beer originally indicated, more malt than hop. Sure there is a good amount of hop taste, but the maltiness of the brew intrudes way too much here and masks the floral taste and smell of the hops. There's also a pretty strong alcohol flavor with every sip, which is to be expected in an 8.5 brew I suppose, but it's still not all that pleasant.

I really can't think of a whole lot of IPAs that I've enjoyed less than this one.The drinkability is low based on it's rather high alcohol content and taste. But, to be honest, my time is better spent with a better tasting beer so I'm pretty sure that Stevens Point Six Hop wouldn't become a session beer of mine even with a lower ABV. (1,425 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -1.2%

An average example of the Imperial IPA style, but after sampling many more from the segment this seems a backup at best.

Copper appearance with little head and moderate lacing. Strong taste of alcohol masks even the hops, in both taste and smell.

Would not turn one down, but will not make it a staple in my fridge. (317 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +19.8%

just tried a couple of bottles of Wholehog six hop ipa, brought back to me from a friend on vacation. I really enjoyed this beer. It had a well balanced blend of hops that gave a light starting flavor expanding into a solid hoppy finish without being to overpowering or bitter.

A red and orange color coming out of the bottle with a nice hoppy aroma, my only dissapointment with the beer was it had a weak head that dissapeted rather quickly.

Overall i enjoyed this one and wouldnt mind having a few more (506 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I have got to say, I wasn't expecting much. Especially after seeing average reviews, but I actually made an account for this beer. I have had a few hundred IPAs, and I think this one is above average. It has layers of hops throughout the flavor profile. Front, back, middle, all over. The sweet malt ties it all together and balances it out. I really think this is slightly underrated. I do not see a clear date on the bottle, which does bother me. (448 characters)

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last