Whole Hog Six Hop IPA - Stevens Point Brewery

good

pDev: 16%
Stevens Point Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: SykDoc on 04-12-2009)
ummswimmin

3.48/5  rDev -0.6%

I had this tonight while waiting for friends at a local restaurant. The server warned me that this beer is pretty "overwhelming." I took this in stride as the waiter was probably just trying to be helpful.

The coloring was an okay shade of brown and the foam was minimal. The foam could have been affected by the bartender's pour or if they used a chilled glass.

The scents coming across the top was minimal. I expected much more aroma from a DIPA. The citrus and pine were pretty muted.

The taste came across with decent hoppiness and a very present alcohol flavoring. The hops were out of balance with the alcohol.

This was an okay example of a DIPA. I wouldn't turn it away, but I probably won't buy a bottle in the future.

08-05-2011 01:39:34 | More by ummswimmin
DavidSeanNJ

3.45/5  rDev -1.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

A nice slow pour yielded a dark ruby orange liquid with a creamy head. Lacing, yes, but it dissolved halfway through the brew. Smell was hoppy, but much weaker than expected. Actually, it smelled sweeter than hoppy. This was surprising given the fact that the "six hop" aspect of the beer is clearly emphasized. Taste was sugary and sweet, with a bitter backbone from the hops. Thick sticky mouthfeel.

Ok, so I enjoyed this beer. I am not going to lie. They should stop emphasizing the hops in the beer because it really throws the drinker off. Still, it is a tasty brew. I wouldn't seek it out, but I would absolutely drink it again.

07-23-2011 15:07:31 | More by DavidSeanNJ
jacobseyb

Alabama

3.73/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass a nice orangish yellow. First beer from Stevens Point and starting off well. Smell is a little malty and biscuity to start but the hops definitely round out the aroma. Some pine and some floral seem to be the prominent hop aromas. Taste is again bready with a real bitterness in the floral hops. Feel is well carbonated and slightly oily on the finish. Overall a good example of the Double IPA with a distinct English Style IPA lean. Nearly an English Double IPA.

05-06-2011 04:21:49 | More by jacobseyb
jzeilinger

3.4/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Pours a medium copper color with mild carbonaton and no head, barely any lacing at all.

S - Some mild citrus, toffee notes, and a little floral aroma. For a D-IPA, it's on the weak side.

T - Evenly balanced throughout the sip and I do mean "balanced". With using (6) hops, I would have expected much more bitterness and the malt backbone is the more dominating character of this beer, but only by a little bit. There is some floral and citrus tang thrown into the mix to keep the malt in check. The aftertaste is a little bitter and leaves some of the citrus left in the mouth is fairly clean for a bigger IPA. The 8.5% does come through underneath, though not overly huge, and it does exhibit slight warming in the throat as it heads south.

M - Medium thin body, fairly mild on the tongue, and lip smacking sticky.

O - Not what I expected but this beer has potential, especially if the hops are accentuated more in the aroma and the taste. I don't hate this beer, but I don't exactly love it either, I'm pretty much neutral on this one. Also, I can't comment on how old the bottle is so if it happens to be a little older, it may very well be more intense, it's hard to say. If you're an IPA lover (like I am), I think it's definitely worth trying. Needs more body.

05-05-2011 00:31:41 | More by jzeilinger
Stinkypuss

3.45/5  rDev -1.4%

Stevens Point Whole Hog Six Hop IPA

Pours a light orange, white head stickage and some lace. In the aroma, floral, citrus, cat piss and honey. Very bitter on the palate, a nice onslaught of six varieties of hops. Earthy, rind like bitterness in the finish on the medium bodied brew. Overall I thought this was the best of the beer Ive had from Stevens Point.

04-14-2011 17:39:00 | More by Stinkypuss
9InchNails

3.23/5  rDev -7.7%

I let this sit for a hour after I took it out of the fridge.

Light Copper body, like a lighter shade of Apple Juice and the fastest dissolving head I have ever seen. Sporadic bubbles, some shooting up very quickly.

Sweet smell of pine, citrus and caramel that blend very nicely.

Pine, some citrus and a bitter metallic taste at the end. Alcohol is a little noticeable but is more pronounce when it warms. I feel there is something really missing with this taste. It isn't complex at all, flavors don't meld well together. Quite a boring IPA. Very let down since the aroma seemed to make this a tease. I really thought this was going to be a quite enjoyable tasting beer.

Light to medium body, light carbonation but feels like a flat soda. Leaves the lips a little sticky. Slight alcohol warmth with a decent ABV with a 8.5.

I've had some great IPA's before and this isn't even close to any of them. Taste is lacking and is pretty much nothing more than average. It looks okay and feels average as well. Don't waste your time with an average IPA when they're so many better ones.

04-08-2011 07:26:21 | More by 9InchNails
brentk56

2.73/5  rDev -22%

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a three fingered head; excellent retention and it leaves behind strands of lace

Smell: More malty than hoppy, with a grainy, vegetal aroma

Taste: Caramel malt, up front, with a growing grainy aspect that moves into the pine forest by mid-palate; after the swallow, the piney hops dominate but the combination of the hops and malt bill seems rather unbalanced

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Rather disappointing in many ways, unfortunately; looks good, but I didn't care for the aroma or the taste, and that is what it is all about, ultimately

02-21-2011 21:18:10 | More by brentk56
Duff27

3.78/5  rDev +8%

A- Pours a one fingered head atop a mid red hue beer. Slightly above average lacing.

S- Not a lot of smell in this one. Grainy...step above your average lager which is sad. Maybe a hint of citrus as it warms.

T- Assertive hops up front. Citrus. I enjoy this taste quite a bit more than would have expected from the smell. Pine. Alcohol.

M- The way this feels in the mouth area of my body is great.

D/O- I don't know about drinkability but I enjoyed this much more than what other BA's as a whole have. Whether it should be sought out depends on how big of a DIPA fan you are and whether you've tried all the great interpretations of that style. Having said that, it's nice to see Point expanding their lineup doing some "imperialized" beers nowadays.

01-27-2011 04:07:34 | More by Duff27
TylerBGoode

2.48/5  rDev -29.1%

I've never been a fan of Stevens Point, but after seeing this I thought it was worth a shot. The Whole Hog series is sort of the signature series of Stevens Points beers, they offer their more unique and flavorful beers and thus charge more per bottle in the process. While other offerings in the Whole Hog series have been styles such as Saisons and Imperial Stouts, this one was a DIPA, and so I figured that a Whole Hog Double IPA would be worth my time. Not so much.

I poured my bottle of Six Hop into a standard pint glass. The color of the beer was a pretty dark amber, darker than I expected. The beer left very little head, and what was there didn't stick around for long. The smell and taste would follow suit with what the hue of the beer originally indicated, more malt than hop. Sure there is a good amount of hop taste, but the maltiness of the brew intrudes way too much here and masks the floral taste and smell of the hops. There's also a pretty strong alcohol flavor with every sip, which is to be expected in an 8.5 brew I suppose, but it's still not all that pleasant.

I really can't think of a whole lot of IPAs that I've enjoyed less than this one.The drinkability is low based on it's rather high alcohol content and taste. But, to be honest, my time is better spent with a better tasting beer so I'm pretty sure that Stevens Point Six Hop wouldn't become a session beer of mine even with a lower ABV.

10-29-2010 18:04:36 | More by TylerBGoode
megahurts4

Louisiana

4.2/5  rDev +20%

Steven's Point Whole Hog 6 hop IPA

Appearance: Orange-red, small head, and a little lacing.

Smell: Strong flowery hops.

Taste: Malty hop goodness and a slight caramel sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy and smooth.

Overall:
The first scent is strong hops. The first taste is not as strong as expected. It is fairly malty and hoppy. There is also a subtle alcohol tinge.

10-14-2010 06:26:44 | More by megahurts4
drxandy

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

12oz to tulip glass, pours a copper golden color, creamy head fades to nice lacing

smells of sweet malt and lots of hops, herbal and earthy

taste is sweet and bitter, lot of hop presence making the balance a little crazy, heavy sweet malt, bitter, grassy citrus

mouthfeel is fairly good, but with all the hop varieties kinda all over, creamy malt, quite sweet

drinkable but not something i would come back to often

09-28-2010 01:12:22 | More by drxandy
AgentMunky

2.98/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a St. Bernardus glass.

A: Ruddy chestnut with a light, short-lived head. Very clear, but with a nice internal glow.

S: Delicious, delicious hops. The six varieties promised in the title really shine through here in a complex intermingling of scents. Malt is almost as prominent and more forceful by virtue of presenting a single, united aroma. Strong, pleasant smell.

T: The taste is a mishmash of a whole bunch of different things. What are very nice flavours individually collide headlong like a trainwreck on the tongue. The most obvious is the extreme hop bitterness. This bitterness is mildly unpleasant, I think due to the disharmonious amalgamation of hop strains -- this beer may be trying to do too much (which is why, I suppose, they call it Whole Hog). The malt is very strong, but out-of-place and at odds with the bitterness. Overall, this beer is a mess, but all the individual elements are good.

M: Smooth malt and dry hops. Pleasant and stimulating.

D: Too bitter and confused to make for very good drinking. It took me a very long time to finish the glass. A very complex, intimidating brew, it may be over my head...or it may just be underdeveloped. Either way, I don't recommend it.

09-13-2010 01:28:03 | More by AgentMunky
lovindahops

3.03/5  rDev -13.4%

Saw this at a local grocery store. Emphasis on the hops really drew me in

A- a full amber body of a beer. Virtually no head at all. Unfortunately, I was hoping for a golden yellow look (given the focus on the hops)

S- malt out the ying yang. Strong as all heck. However, guess what's missing? Anytime type of a hop profile. I guess there is some slight earthy presence. The caramel malt is just overwhelming

T- this might be as unbalanced as it gets. Nothing but malt. Not really what I wanted as far as a dipa goes. There is consistan bitterness that makes the bre decent though. You need some type of hop flavor when you write six hops on the label though

M- creamy and overwhelming taste that attacks your mouth. The flavor is absolutely overwhelming. I do like this aspect of it

D- just being honest... If your battle cry is hops, you need to have some. The unstoppable malt attack makes this not enjoyable. This really halted my steven's point experience

09-06-2010 00:00:41 | More by lovindahops
StaveHooks

3.95/5  rDev +12.9%

A - An amber orange that casts red light from the glass. A two finger off-white head that settles into a nice base of bubbles. Minimal lacing.

S - Sweet bread, buttery toffee malt. Very inviting aroma. Notes of pine and citrus.

T - Malt forward start. Rich malt wrapped with grapefruit and pine bitterness. It has a hefty bit of peppery spice that works with the malt and creates a welcomed dryness. The bitterness balances up on the finish.

Overall I love this beer. It's between an IPA and a DIPA. Great malt flavor going on. I love the gentle hops profile as well. I could drink this all night. Highly recommended.

09-01-2010 23:05:17 | More by StaveHooks
Cyberkedi

Georgia

Has a strong, richly hoppy, almost evergreen aroma with a good undertone of grapefruit. It pours a clear coppery orange with a decent off-white head. Lively, hoppy flavor is typical of a good Imperial IPA and has tones of pine and grapefruit and even a hint of cinnamon. Smooth texture has a firm tingle and leaves behind a bit of a fizz, as well as some grapefruit flavor.

08-31-2010 00:53:02 | More by Cyberkedi
paddyboydan

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev +15.7%

just tried a couple of bottles of Wholehog six hop ipa, brought back to me from a friend on vacation. I really enjoyed this beer. It had a well balanced blend of hops that gave a light starting flavor expanding into a solid hoppy finish without being to overpowering or bitter.

A red and orange color coming out of the bottle with a nice hoppy aroma, my only dissapointment with the beer was it had a weak head that dissapeted rather quickly.

Overall i enjoyed this one and wouldnt mind having a few more

08-23-2010 07:25:08 | More by paddyboydan
WesWes

3.3/5  rDev -5.7%

The beer pours a dark golden/amber color with a thick frothy off-white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a malt forward aroma that boasts of pale, crystal, and bisquit malts. It has a decent hop nose, but nothing too exciting. The taste is decent. It has quite a bitter hop kick along with a very solid malt base. It's piney as hell and resinates in the finish. I like the malt bill, but it doesn't really compliment the hop arrangement. It goes down bitter and finishes bitter with a mild alcohol bite and a bit of biquit/breadiness. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a beer with much potential. It needs to be a little lighter in the malt department. Complexity is good, but this seems overly so. Thin the malt bill and let the hops speak for themselves.

08-21-2010 21:03:28 | More by WesWes
maleman

Mississippi

2.65/5  rDev -24.3%

A - poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Off-white two finger head that held retention nicely. Thick lacing, dark amber. No freshness dating noted on bottle.

S - as the beer's title would suggest there's lots of hops in there! A tinge of alcohol was detected.

T - a tinny taste with alcohol apparent. Pepper in the aftertaste.

M - light to medium-bodied, but that metallic aftertaste sticks with me. less than average carbonation.

D - not on my list of faves. the smell and appearance had me going early but the taste stifled me. will not buy again.

08-19-2010 22:57:48 | More by maleman
haddon

Kentucky

3.55/5  rDev +1.4%

pours a dirty copper hue with frothy head that leaves nice lacing down glass

very malty on the nose... brown sugar and molasses. detect the hops as undertones... pine & light citrus

wow, not what I expected from a IIPA... almost all malts on the flavor: bready, sweet candy & caramel. it does offer a bit of bitterness on the end that lingers as boozy.

best part of the beer. medium body that is thick & creamy. feels nice on the palate

decent beer but does not strike me as a IIPA. I think I would have enjoyed beer much more if it were classified as a strong ale. just a little out of balance missing that citrus many look for in an imperial pale ale. if you looking for some sharp hops, better pass on this one.

08-15-2010 02:27:20 | More by haddon
asabreed

12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Smith nonic.

Appearance: Mildly in-the-middle copper color, fluffy, lacing-left retention of the top bulbous part of the glass, and good sniper-like singular carbonation floating to the top.

Smell: Earthy and candied bitterness overall. A lot of citrus and lemon with a swirl, caramel, husk, and woodiness. It's a little imbalanced, but it has balls, and I like that, and there's a lot going on.

Taste: I mostly like the finish here, which goes from sweet to bitter and from bitter to sweet, all fairly quickly. There's honey and caramel, there's some bitter rind earthiness and tree bark. I don't mind the morphine flavors here. There's a lot going on, and I like it. Every second with each sip there's good stuff going on. I think that should be admired. And the finish is long, and the same.

Mouthfeel: Good and medium-bodied, though it should be deemed heavier, more cloying. Alas, I feel it's not, and the carbonation does its work and cuts through overall.

Drinkability: This is a weird brew for me, mainly because of it's morphing and shiftiness, but I like it after everything. I don't think most of the reviews do it justice. It's a more candied IPA, but it's got a weird, earthy nature that I like overall. And the 4-pack was only around $7, meaning I'd like to get another one at some point, and since this is my first Stevens Point brew, I won't mind trying a few more if I can find them.

08-11-2010 23:51:52 | More by asabreed
Kegatron

2.55/5  rDev -27.1%

12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a clear coppery amber rose color, with a little over a finger of tight, off-white, foamy head. This retains with a rich 1/2 finger that leaves some thick spotty lace down the sides of the glass. The aroma is VERY sweet with tropical fruits and malt in the nose, which also provides a deep graininess to the proceedings. Some earthy and herbal hops character adds tanginess and sharpness to this.

The hops in the taste are quite earthy feeling, leaving a dirty and pithy bitterness in their wake that sticks to the tongue and is hard to shake. The bitterness is almost an afterthough here however, as they seem to play a distant runner-up to the sweetness here, which consists of bread, caramel, and a STRONG dose of tropical fruits. This is way unbalanced towards the almost cloying side at times. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a soft creamiess to the carbonation that is actually pretty welcome here, as it helps move some rather obvious alcohol beef around. Speaking of which, the ABV never gets over warm here but does help bring out some of the stronger aspects of this, namely that sweetness and overly bitter finish.

Well I can't really say that I dug this one a whole lot beyond the initial look. Very unbalanced profile here, being overly sticky and sweet in some areas and then harshly bitter in others. I think that for 9%, this actually did a really good job of keeping the alcohol hidden for the most part, especially considering that the flavors sure didn't things any favors. This is one DIPA that I would not go back to.

07-29-2010 17:06:51 | More by Kegatron
climax

Missouri

3.55/5  rDev +1.4%

This one poured a very cloudy caramel copper with a decent head that descended quickly leaving no trace.

For an imperial IPA, this one does not shock the senses with hops, more of a regular IPA, in my opinion. The hop bill consisted of a sturdy leafy/floral presence and was well matched by biscuity bread-like malts.

The flavor had a bit more pungent bitterness, but was still somewhat mild. The malt was almost heavier, giving out significant caramel, dark wheat bread, and even a cocoa and coffee flavors.

The body was a good consistency, medium weight, with sharp carbonation. The finish was dry with slight bitterness.

This is a good beer, but not the right beer if your looking for a heavy hitting IPA.

07-11-2010 21:05:10 | More by climax
beerdrifter

Germany

3.48/5  rDev -0.6%

Clear amber pour with a nice creamy head and great lacing. The nose has lots of pine with a nice malty backbone. The taste is much the same with lots of pine, grapefruit and earthy, grassy bitterness but lots of butterscotch, caramel malt notes to balance. The alcohol is well hidden and it has a nice crisp, dry finish. This is a bit too malty for me but still a decent beer.

07-01-2010 03:45:05 | More by beerdrifter
OWSLEY069

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Pours a clean orange-ish color with an off white head. In the aroma, grapefruity hops and gingerbread like maltiness. In the taste, hodge podge of hops, and sharp, sweet maltiness. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a fresh dry hopped aftertaste. It seems that all the hops cancel each other out. Hides ABV, decent IPA.

06-23-2010 15:08:00 | More by OWSLEY069
chemidtown

3.38/5  rDev -3.4%

An average example of the Imperial IPA style, but after sampling many more from the segment this seems a backup at best.

Copper appearance with little head and moderate lacing. Strong taste of alcohol masks even the hops, in both taste and smell.

Would not turn one down, but will not make it a staple in my fridge.

06-20-2010 07:59:47 | More by chemidtown