Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale - Stevens Point Brewery

Stevens Point Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: beerwolf77 on 09-01-2009)
View: Beers (35) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
joeseppy

Pumpkin dark orange pour with white head that clears quickly and recedes to the edges.

The aroma is the same as opening a can of pumpkin spiced filling. Pumpkin flesh with mace, clove, cinnamon, allspice, vanilla, brown sugar, nutmeg--am I missing anybody--it' all there. I can only imagine the graham cracker crust.

The taste is the same as the smell. Caramel malts, hops and biscuit balancing this out well. Not too sweet and not one ingredient outdoes the other but works well like a World Series baseball team. Grandma blended this concoction well and baked to perfection. Nothing obtrusive about this. Love just sipping this.

Mouthfeel is creamier than all in class I've had thus far. Lush, full, rounded and chewy. Juz 'nuff carbonation to sparkle this craft.

I really wanted to give this all fives but the only thing this Whole Hog is missing is the Cool Whip. Now if they can master that for next year--one can only imagine. Thanks Grandma!!

**Update Sep 22--Just had a homemade pumpkin pie from my wife and had this Whole Hog and tastes were matched. This now goes a 5 for me.

09-08-2013 03:12:31 | More by joeseppy

ssjkyle

Nebraska

07-14-2012 19:28:05 | More by ssjkyle
TequilaTom

Bought this on a whim while at my local beer store. Wasn't getting my hopes up too high, as I am quite picky about my pumpkin beers. I do not like a lot of spice overpowering everything. Several other pumpkin ales have almost nauseated me, and consequentially became instant drain cleaner. I really have to say that this is THE BEST pumpkin ale I have ever had. And I've had quite a few. I liked this even more than Southern Tier Pumking, Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin, and several others. I liked this so much I was inspired to write this, my first full review. I'm not going to break down the taste, mouthfeel, etc., just want to note that I found this to be the best pumpkin ale I've had to date. I am going out to my local homebrew store soon to get ingredients to try and clone this. Way to go Whole Hog!!

08-30-2013 21:28:09 | More by TequilaTom

truestar

11-26-2011 01:43:24 | More by truestar
CleJB

4.98/5  rDev +19.4%

This beer is outstanding. If you want a pumpkin ale that actually tastes like pumpkin this ale is for you. The only Pumpkin ale I have had that compares is Southern Tier Pumking Ale (which is much more expensive). I have tried roughly 20 different pumpkin ales and this one is #2 overall and #1 bang for my buck. Worth every bit of $8.99 for a 4 pack.

09-06-2013 01:00:43 | More by CleJB
nickapalooza86

4.96/5  rDev +18.9%

Hazy amber, quarter finger of head that slips quickly into a ring of foam.

Smell is pumpkin pie, graham cracker crust, cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel... Pumpkin pie

Taste is amazing, best in style that is for sure. Graham cracker crust hits you in the first wave with bready malt in the finish, spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, glove and a wee bit of ginger) whip cream sweetness. Wow!

Mouthfeel is medium full, creamy just like pie should be!

Wow, had this last year but not a whole one so I could not review it.... I got a case this year! It is amazing. Pumking used to be my pumpkin beer of choice. This takes pumking outside and kicks it in the balls and a 4 pack cost about the same as 1 bomber... I love being able to taste the crust of the pie in the beer!! Ya, I know some people think of Point as a Faux craft brewery but this beer WORLD CLASS.

09-05-2013 00:10:37 | More by nickapalooza86
JGlitz87

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: Cloudy with a very pumpkin like orange color. Little to no head on pour. Slight lacing down glass.

S: Perfect. This is fall. It smells like the best pumpkin pie you have ever tasted. Pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg.

T: Incredible. I have had pumpkin ales before, but nothing like this. I simply can't imagine something tasting more like pumpkin pie than this beer. Very smooth, hides the alcohol content well.

F: Medium to low carbonation and body. Smooth going down.

O: As close to perfect as I have tasted in a long time. I love pumpkin which only makes this beer all the better. It is a must have for any true beer fans.

09-09-2013 00:31:19 | More by JGlitz87
Stew

4.81/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours a bronzy Thanksgiving holiday orange. Thin head that disappears quickly. Looks tasty!

S – Delicious pumpkin pie aroma…Provides the November sweet ‘made from scratch’ pumpkin pie crust and all the filling with pumpkin pie spices exceptionally present. I get the nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla. Pure Perfection!!!

T – Malty flavor filled with notes of caramel, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Has the toasted pumpkin complimented by the aroma of nutmeg and cinnamon. A slight bitterness, not nearly as sweet as it smells. Yet, perfectly capturing the sweet taste of pumpkin pie in liquid form loaded with creamy spiciness.

M - Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale definitely has a slight creamy texture-like sweetness, balance with a slight earthy hop bitterness and smooth lingering pumpkin spice flavor.

O - Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale is definitely the equivalent of a piece of pumpkin pie in a glass; Whole Hog got it right from smell, color and texture. A must to have on thanksgiving with friends and family. Very rich in flavor and character with all the classic pumpkin pie qualities. Finally a pumpkin ale that’s not too boozy, but still has a kick. Not water down a faint taste of pumpkin, yet still a full-flavored winter beverage. Probably the best drinkable pumpkin ale I’ve had so far and I love pumpkin ales.

08-25-2013 05:22:52 | More by Stew

Taste 40/40
Feel 10/10
Drinkability 19/20

Overall 97/100

Taste like straight home homemade pie... Hands down the best Pumpkin beer I ever had. Near perfect in every way... Can't wait till next Autumn~

01-18-2014 05:05:11 | More by BrewUSA