Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale - Stevens Point Brewery

Stevens Point Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: beerwolf77 on 09-01-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros

Pumpkin dark orange pour with white head that clears quickly and recedes to the edges.

The aroma is the same as opening a can of pumpkin spiced filling. Pumpkin flesh with mace, clove, cinnamon, allspice, vanilla, brown sugar, nutmeg--am I missing anybody--it' all there. I can only imagine the graham cracker crust.

The taste is the same as the smell. Caramel malts, hops and biscuit balancing this out well. Not too sweet and not one ingredient outdoes the other but works well like a World Series baseball team. Grandma blended this concoction well and baked to perfection. Nothing obtrusive about this. Love just sipping this.

Mouthfeel is creamier than all in class I've had thus far. Lush, full, rounded and chewy. Juz 'nuff carbonation to sparkle this craft.

I really wanted to give this all fives but the only thing this Whole Hog is missing is the Cool Whip. Now if they can master that for next year--one can only imagine. Thanks Grandma!!

**Update Sep 22--Just had a homemade pumpkin pie from my wife and had this Whole Hog and tastes were matched. This now goes a 5 for me.

Bought this on a whim while at my local beer store. Wasn't getting my hopes up too high, as I am quite picky about my pumpkin beers. I do not like a lot of spice overpowering everything. Several other pumpkin ales have almost nauseated me, and consequentially became instant drain cleaner. I really have to say that this is THE BEST pumpkin ale I have ever had. And I've had quite a few. I liked this even more than Southern Tier Pumking, Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin, and several others. I liked this so much I was inspired to write this, my first full review. I'm not going to break down the taste, mouthfeel, etc., just want to note that I found this to be the best pumpkin ale I've had to date. I am going out to my local homebrew store soon to get ingredients to try and clone this. Way to go Whole Hog!!

Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale from Stevens Point Brewery