Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale - Stevens Point Brewery

Wisconsin, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: beerwolf77 on 09-01-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros

Pumpkin dark orange pour with white head that clears quickly and recedes to the edges.

The aroma is the same as opening a can of pumpkin spiced filling. Pumpkin flesh with mace, clove, cinnamon, allspice, vanilla, brown sugar, nutmeg--am I missing anybody--it' all there. I can only imagine the graham cracker crust.

The taste is the same as the smell. Caramel malts, hops and biscuit balancing this out well. Not too sweet and not one ingredient outdoes the other but works well like a World Series baseball team. Grandma blended this concoction well and baked to perfection. Nothing obtrusive about this. Love just sipping this.

Mouthfeel is creamier than all in class I've had thus far. Lush, full, rounded and chewy. Juz 'nuff carbonation to sparkle this craft.

I really wanted to give this all fives but the only thing this Whole Hog is missing is the Cool Whip. Now if they can master that for next year--one can only imagine. Thanks Grandma!!

**Update Sep 22--Just had a homemade pumpkin pie from my wife and had this Whole Hog and tastes were matched. This now goes a 5 for me.

Bought this on a whim while at my local beer store. Wasn't getting my hopes up too high, as I am quite picky about my pumpkin beers. I do not like a lot of spice overpowering everything. Several other pumpkin ales have almost nauseated me, and consequentially became instant drain cleaner. I really have to say that this is THE BEST pumpkin ale I have ever had. And I've had quite a few. I liked this even more than Southern Tier Pumking, Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin, and several others. I liked this so much I was inspired to write this, my first full review. I'm not going to break down the taste, mouthfeel, etc., just want to note that I found this to be the best pumpkin ale I've had to date. I am going out to my local homebrew store soon to get ingredients to try and clone this. Way to go Whole Hog!!

4.97/5  rDev +21.5%

This beer is outstanding. If you want a pumpkin ale that actually tastes like pumpkin this ale is for you. The only Pumpkin ale I have had that compares is Southern Tier Pumking Ale (which is much more expensive). I have tried roughly 20 different pumpkin ales and this one is #2 overall and #1 bang for my buck. Worth every bit of $8.99 for a 4 pack.

4.96/5  rDev +21.3%

Hazy amber, quarter finger of head that slips quickly into a ring of foam.

Smell is pumpkin pie, graham cracker crust, cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel... Pumpkin pie

Taste is amazing, best in style that is for sure. Graham cracker crust hits you in the first wave with bready malt in the finish, spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, glove and a wee bit of ginger) whip cream sweetness. Wow!

Mouthfeel is medium full, creamy just like pie should be!

Wow, had this last year but not a whole one so I could not review it.... I got a case this year! It is amazing. Pumking used to be my pumpkin beer of choice. This takes pumking outside and kicks it in the balls and a 4 pack cost about the same as 1 bomber... I love being able to taste the crust of the pie in the beer!! Ya, I know some people think of Point as a Faux craft brewery but this beer WORLD CLASS.

4.94/5  rDev +20.8%

Great desert beer. One of my top 3 pumpkin beers I've had to date. Closest to Pumkin pie that your going to get. Sweet and delicious. Highly recommend.

4.92/5  rDev +20.3%

Pours from the bottle deep amber brown with a nice tan head that leaves lots of lace.
Smells of sweet breads and fresh baked Pumpkin Pie, with cinnamon. Now the best part the taste. Liquid Pumpkin Pie with a kick. A nice semi sweet Pumpkin pie taste hits your mouth with a nice hit of Alcohol and spices. Clean semi sweet and filled with real pumpkin flavor this is the best Pumpkin Ale I have ever had. Mouth feel, It is also very creamy in your mouth. It makes your mouth feel totaly refreshed and ready for another one. This is one Pumpkin Ale everyone should try! It is Exceptional in flavor and refreshment and very balanced and at 7.50 ABV very drinkable anyway.
Give this one a try you will thank yourself. Overall I give it a 4.75 A truely Amazing Pumpkin Ale! My number one pumpkin Ale for Thanksgiving.

4.84/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: Cloudy with a very pumpkin like orange color. Little to no head on pour. Slight lacing down glass.

S: Perfect. This is fall. It smells like the best pumpkin pie you have ever tasted. Pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg.

T: Incredible. I have had pumpkin ales before, but nothing like this. I simply can't imagine something tasting more like pumpkin pie than this beer. Very smooth, hides the alcohol content well.

F: Medium to low carbonation and body. Smooth going down.

O: As close to perfect as I have tasted in a long time. I love pumpkin which only makes this beer all the better. It is a must have for any true beer fans.

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This was awesome!!! It tastes just like pumpkin pie in a bottle. I definitely recommend it but it does have that pumpkin pie taste so you probably won't be drinking more than one or two.

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours a bronzy Thanksgiving holiday orange. Thin head that disappears quickly. Looks tasty!

S – Delicious pumpkin pie aroma…Provides the November sweet ‘made from scratch’ pumpkin pie crust and all the filling with pumpkin pie spices exceptionally present. I get the nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla. Pure Perfection!!!

T – Malty flavor filled with notes of caramel, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Has the toasted pumpkin complimented by the aroma of nutmeg and cinnamon. A slight bitterness, not nearly as sweet as it smells. Yet, perfectly capturing the sweet taste of pumpkin pie in liquid form loaded with creamy spiciness.

M - Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale definitely has a slight creamy texture-like sweetness, balance with a slight earthy hop bitterness and smooth lingering pumpkin spice flavor.

O - Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale is definitely the equivalent of a piece of pumpkin pie in a glass; Whole Hog got it right from smell, color and texture. A must to have on thanksgiving with friends and family. Very rich in flavor and character with all the classic pumpkin pie qualities. Finally a pumpkin ale that’s not too boozy, but still has a kick. Not water down a faint taste of pumpkin, yet still a full-flavored winter beverage. Probably the best drinkable pumpkin ale I’ve had so far and I love pumpkin ales.

4.77/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

As many have noted, super mega pumpkin pie. Initial whiff of cinnamon is soon overtaken by that creamy sweet pumpkin pie and crust smell.

If sweet isn't your thing, then this is one to avoid. A paltry 10 IBUs, this brew is all candy. Very similar to Southern Tier's Pumking, but with more pie than spices. If you're looking for a sweet-spiced pumpkin beer, this one can hold its own with the best of them.

The only thing that was a bit un-beer-like was the head. It foamed up and fell a lot more like a soda than a beer. But color, smell, taste, and feel are all exquisite for this style.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

OUTSTANDING BREW!!!!! Tough to find in my neck of the woods, but I was able to find a few 4 packs so that I could give this one a try...boy did it NOT disappoint!!! So far, this one has been my favorite pumpkin ale that I have had so far this year...just a tad better than the Dog Fish Head Punkin...great flavor, spices are perfectly blended and it is one smooth brew!!! I highly recommend you gove this one a try...it is pure bliss...pumpkin pie in a bottle!!!

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Sampled yesterday on 3/8/15. Been almost 3 years since I had one of these. My friend bought a case (4-4packs) last September and gave me 3 bottles last Thursday. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and pouted in to a handled-glass stein.

This seasonal 'Pumpkin Ale' pours a hazy mahogany in color with about a half-finger off-white foamy head. A good amount of lacing is seen with each sip, close to ring-like even. Sediment is seen in the bottom of the bottle after the pour. The aroma is like a fresh pumpkin pie. Fantastic! Even more going on with the taste as their are the perfect amount of spices of cinnamon, nutmeg and even a hint of clove in the mix. Really smooth and goes down so easy. One of the BEST pumpkin ales on the market. Medium-bodied with perfect carbonation. Love this one but I do remember how good it was from back in 2012. This is as good as it gets!

4.74/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a cloudy dark amber-orange with medium head that slowly dissipates
into a thin lacing. Aroma of baked pumpkin pie. As already noted by numerous reviewers this beer is as close to pumpkin pie in a bottle as any brewery has achieved so far. The finish is superb, possibly the best part of the experience. Pumpkin pie spices and caramelized pumpkin including the baked crust linger on the palate demanding another sip. Amazing how far this style has been developed over the years. I still wish there was a bit less ABV, but that may be impossible to achieve at this level of flavor richness.

4.73/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This Pumpkin ale is now my champ! Ive done a pumking side by side test and this one is off the charts. Please be sure to let this beer warm a bit. The pumpkin characteristics really come through at a warmer temp than typical beers. Think of it like a stout.
Just to reiterate how good this beer is, I had a fall beer fest with a handful of my good beer friends and this one stole the show.

4.71/5  rDev +15.2%

Taste 40/40
Feel 10/10
Drinkability 19/20

Overall 97/100

Taste like straight home homemade pie... Hands down the best Pumpkin beer I ever had. Near perfect in every way... Can't wait till next Autumn~

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%

Smell - on the nose, cinnamon graham crackers, sweet brown sugar, gingerbread and pumpkin spices.

Taste - on the palate, picking up all those same notes as I did on the nose. The smell is amazing. This is a big contender against Southern Tier PumKing!

Mouthfeel - seems to dance around as its smooth and tantalizing.

Do yourself a favor and go buy a 4pk. I'm sad this was the last one left at our local liquor store. As I said earlier, this is a solid medium body beer that gives Southern Tier PumKing a run for there money. It's big on the "pumpkin" flavor, which imo how a pumpkin beer should be.

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured in pint glass

A) Dark orange, cloudy, medium amount of visible carbonation, thick amber color head.

S) Pumpkin Pie spices, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, pumpkin, honey, malt, bread

T) Same as the smell but a tasted a lot of brown sugar and pumpkin.

M) medium carbonation and thick

O) very tasty beer great series by Steven's Point. So far this one may be my favorite.

4.69/5  rDev +14.7%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

(A)- Pours a hazed copper orange color. Produced some solid white froth.

(S)- Superb combo of gingersnaps, pumpkin, and a subtle hint of vanilla. Very closely reminds me of pumpkin pie. Very inviting.

(T)- Almost just like the smell. Just an awesome component of gingersnap & cinnamon meets a slightly sweet vanilla character rounded out by some rustic and ever so slightly rich pumpkin.

(M)- A good carbonation level. It has almost the perfect balance of spice, sweet bits, and of course pumpkin. Not overly bitter or overly sweet. It is actually a touch higher in the ABV for the style I think, but it does not show.

(O)- Easily my favorite of this season so far. Really reminds me of a rich yet slightly sweet pumpkin pie. We had Southern Tier's Pumking along side this and I would choose this over Pumking all day long.

4.66/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

12 oz twist-off bottle poured into a snifter.
7.5% ABV

A - Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale pours a tarnished copper color, showing some orange highlights around the edges. Loose light khaki foam disappears quickly, sinking to a halo of bubbles below minimal lace.

S - Pumpkin pie city; the aroma of Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale has got it all! Biscuity malt provides the pie crust while pumpkin puree and heavy nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove spice makes for a rich and thick filling

T - It's malt base brings complimentary notes of caramel and toffee to the table while toasted nuances continue to suggest pie crust, perfectly transitioning into smooth pumpkin pie filling loaded with nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove spiciness.

M - Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale has a wonderful creaminess texture that smoothly carries through sweetness to a perfectly balanced finish of faint earthy hop bitterness and delicate spice lingering on the tongue.

O - Perfect for the cooler fall days, Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale is pumpkin pie in a glass; as it warms up, so too do you with it's inciting aroma, delectable flavor, luscious mouthfeel and complex, warming finish. If it's a rich pumpkin ale you crave, this one is not to miss and make sure you keep some on hand for Thanksgiving, as it almost certainly requests a pairing with the classic turkey dinner.

4.61/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: cloudy copper body, trace white head, solid lacing

S: allspice, pumpkin, graham cracker malt

T: cinnamon, graham cracker, big pumpkin, smooth malt finish

M: med body, hint of creamy mouth

O: This beer shocked me; usually not huge Point
fan. Whole Hog series is obviously amazing.

4.61/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fantastic pumpkin beer. Thick on the mouth feel, incredible smell, full bodied and deep pumpkin flavor. Best pumpkin beer I've had, tops PumKing for me.

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a loud, fizzy, off-white head that has surprising persistence. Aroma is absolutely pumpkin pie; pumpkin in front of a nice, soft, clovey-spiciness. Burnt sienna color. Starts off with a great biscuity/cookie sweetness and spiciness; reminiscent of good gingerbread. Clears a little for the malt to surface more, a touch of floral hoppiness, and then back down to spiciness. Finish is lingering pumpkin and spice; clove, nutmeg (?), allspice, cinnamon.

This is maybe the best pumpkin bier I've had yet. It's dead-on for Pumpkin pie, but it has a GREAT balance of pumpkin and spice. Every bottle I drink, I just think, "Jeez...I need to buy more of this." Absolute PERFECT start to Autumn!

4.51/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bets pumpkin beer I've ever had the privilege of drinking. It's liquid pumpkin pie, whereby the main taste is pumpkin, with the spices as a side note. Typically the spice dominates the beer and ruins it, this one is spot on!

4.5/5  rDev +10%

A - Pours amber brown with a head that dies down pretty quickly.
S - Pumpkin and spices fill your nose. You can smell the pumpkin as you are pouring the beer into the glass.
T - A mouthful of pumpkin. You get a great balance of sweet/sour/spice in this pumpkin ale.
M - Medium to thin mouth feel, but the flavor does hang around for awhile.
O - This is really a model pumpkin beer that others should aspire to. Full, rich pumpkin flavor but balanced and very drinkable. Top 5 Pumpkin of 2014 for me.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Appearance: Hazy golden orange, with a large, dense, fine-beaded off-white head. Thick, fine-beaded lacing coats the glass walls in an unbroken sheet. Sparse streams of minute bubbles drift lazily to the surface.

Aroma: Massive pumpkin pie spice aroma, gloriously over-the-top. The pumpkin pie spices: nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, and ginger are spot on. The malt contributes a remarkable note of pie crust. Were I blindfolded, by the aroma, I would think this was a pumpkin pie from the refrigerator.

Taste: The taste begins with caramel, roasted pumpkin, and a surge of pumpkin pie spices,. A wave of sweet and spicy alcohol soon follows, offering a distinct warming quality. These flavors compliment each other throughout the lingering taste, with pie crust, somewhat like graham cracker, bringing the taste to a graceful close.

Mouth feel: Very smooth, exceptionally soft, with only a hint of carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Simply excellent, like drinking pumpkin pie. This would be an elegant compliment to a Thanksgiving dinner.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass long-neck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

In Memoriam: Pumpkin (April 1998 - November 22, 2014) - the best cat ever. We will always miss you.

Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale from Stevens Point Brewery