Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale - Stevens Point Brewery

Wisconsin, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: beerwolf77 on 09-01-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a loud, fizzy, off-white head that has surprising persistence. Aroma is absolutely pumpkin pie; pumpkin in front of a nice, soft, clovey-spiciness. Burnt sienna color. Starts off with a great biscuity/cookie sweetness and spiciness; reminiscent of good gingerbread. Clears a little for the malt to surface more, a touch of floral hoppiness, and then back down to spiciness. Finish is lingering pumpkin and spice; clove, nutmeg (?), allspice, cinnamon.

This is maybe the best pumpkin bier I've had yet. It's dead-on for Pumpkin pie, but it has a GREAT balance of pumpkin and spice. Every bottle I drink, I just think, "Jeez...I need to buy more of this." Absolute PERFECT start to Autumn!

4.01/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle served in a snifter.
Pours clear, deep red-copper with a modest tan head. A small amopunt of sediment lurking at the bottom of the bottle was added to the pour.

Despite plenty of pie spices, the pumpkin shines thru as well. More spicy in the flavor and feel than in the nose, particular the cinnamon component. Perhaps due to a richer malt base, even with rather bold spicing this pumpkin is not over-spiced. Those not liking cinnamon probably will disagree; this has enough cinnamon to, I think, add a slight burn to the feel. Still, very nice mix of flavors.

O: tasty!

4.36/5  rDev +6.6%

Tasted On: 10-13-2013
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, screw-cap
Glassware: Mini snifter
Purchased: 4-pack from Frugal MacDoogal, Nashville

Appearance is a dark orange-red beer with a small white head. The head has fair retention and lacing.

The smell features a pleasing array of pumpkin pie aromas, with nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon. It also has aromas of pumpkin fruit and graham crackers, for a sweet smell.

The taste is similar to the aromas; semi-sweet flavors of pumpkin fruit and pumpkin pie spices. Body is medium and the carbonation is medium to high. A toasty alcohol warmth is present. The finish is dry with a lingering dose of spices like cinnamon and clove.

Overall an excellent pumpkin ale -- one of the best I've tried.

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Close to a finger of deep tan, not dense nor airy, just a scattershot of larger bubbles, boils down to the surface at a steady clip, the lacing is not that sticky but certainly better than most in the category. Not cloudy but darn close to opaque liquid, sunset red up close, more a mix of browns and oranges further away, few bubbles visible. The nose is clean and direct, cinnamon to clove spice, orange peel, the pumpkin is ripe but not sweet, light breadiness without it being pie-like, touch of cocoa powder too, nothing here overdone or unnecessarily flamboyant. Medium-bodied, has enough prickle from the carbonation to keep the sweetness in check, even has a sort of tart, metallic edge at times. Otherwise, straight up fresh pumpkin with cinnamon, nutmeg spice, chocolate and vanilla accents. Less citrus here, mostly orange, some lemon. Stays balanced and the flavors cruise at a steady altitude, you don’t get worn out by it. Finishes cleanly yet with bite. Easy to like and, again, doesn’t try too hard, always a plus in my book.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pretty run of the mill appearance: Clear body of red/amber with a bubbly off-white head that recedes moderately.

S - VERY pungent, with aromas of freshly baked pumpkin pie dominating. The pumpkin pie spice specifically is very forward. I don't know any other way to describe it than saying it smells just like a pumpkin pie. Literally.

T - As with the nose, pumpkin pie is forward with nutmeg and cinnamon being upfront, ginger and allspice taking the backseat. The malt notes are very reminiscent of a pie crust... I'm now starting to think that this is actually a pumpkin pie in liquid form.

M - Smooth, carbonation relatively low.

O - I think this surpasses Pumpking as my new favorite pumpkin beer. Really good if you are looking for something that is forward with the pumpkin pie spice.

4.46/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours out with a clear pumpkin color; a massive head dominates the pint glass and leaves strips of lacing behind

Smell: Caramel and pumpkin aromas balance out the base, with soft spicing wafts of cinnamon and nutmeg

Taste: Caramel and pumpkin flavors set the tone, with the spicing building on top through the middle; the balance between the malt and the spices works very well

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation and some tingling on the tongue from the spices

Overall: I have been waiting for several years to try this beer and am delighted to finally have tasted this; the Munich and caramel malts really make a difference here as does the delicate spicing

4.69/5  rDev +14.7%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

(A)- Pours a hazed copper orange color. Produced some solid white froth.

(S)- Superb combo of gingersnaps, pumpkin, and a subtle hint of vanilla. Very closely reminds me of pumpkin pie. Very inviting.

(T)- Almost just like the smell. Just an awesome component of gingersnap & cinnamon meets a slightly sweet vanilla character rounded out by some rustic and ever so slightly rich pumpkin.

(M)- A good carbonation level. It has almost the perfect balance of spice, sweet bits, and of course pumpkin. Not overly bitter or overly sweet. It is actually a touch higher in the ABV for the style I think, but it does not show.

(O)- Easily my favorite of this season so far. Really reminds me of a rich yet slightly sweet pumpkin pie. We had Southern Tier's Pumking along side this and I would choose this over Pumking all day long.

4.46/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wanted to try some pumpkin beers, since its starting to cool down in Texas, so we grabbed this at the local liquor store in a mix a six. Glad we did! This beer was fantastic. Great pumpkin spice aroma, almost like Thanksgiving dinner. The taste follows the aroma, almost like homemade pumpkin puree from your moms pumpkin pie. It carries this taste throughout the finish. Went back to the store to grab a sixer but they were already out, and said they would be out till next year. Bummer! Definitely worth a try!!!

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

If the point of a pumpkin beer is to evoke the smells and tastes of pumpkin pie, then this beer succeeds better than any I have tried to date. Better still, the flavor is exceedingly balanced to the last drop, never veering into overly-spiced or overly-sweet territory. This beer was completely off my radar, so it was a really great surprise. First rate.

All that said, I am going to ding this beer a little for seeping from the bottle in transit, something I blame entirely on the twist-top. The smell when I unwrapped it was nasty. Lose the twist-offs, guys.

Great thanks to st9647v3 for this autumn treat.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a CBS snifter. Served chilled...

A) This was a slightly foggy orange brew with a creamy finger of head that settled to a collar. Not much lacing.

S) The aroma is spot on pumpkin pie from the moment you crack the bottle. Seriously, pass the whipped cream! Plenty of pumpkin, perfectly spiced, and a buttery crust.

T) The flavor is not quite as intense as the aroma. A nice amount of pumpkin, and a spicy finish, that I could see mistaken for alcohol tingle. Never overly sweet...

M) Medium body with mild carbonation. Spices coat the mouth and the finish is semi-dry. Nice aftertaste.

O) I enjoy pumpkin beers, but generally only knock back one in a sitting, then move along to another style. I could legitimately see myself throwing back a four pack of this without much regret. Well done Whole Hog. Well done...

3.84/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip glass

A- Hazy red, burnt orange nice medium off-white head

S- Nice spices that and pumpkin with a malty sweetness. Not to much and not to little which is the thing with pumpkin beers

T- Similar to aroma, medium cinnamon and nutmeg, mellow pumpkin, faint sourness.

M- Nice viscosity, creamy, yet not too much that makes it a chore to drink

O- Balance it the key with pumpkin beers and this one has it. Not too much alcohol, nice spice level that keeps the pumpkin noticeable and a clean aftertaste.

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured in pint glass

A) Dark orange, cloudy, medium amount of visible carbonation, thick amber color head.

S) Pumpkin Pie spices, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, pumpkin, honey, malt, bread

T) Same as the smell but a tasted a lot of brown sugar and pumpkin.

M) medium carbonation and thick

O) very tasty beer great series by Steven's Point. So far this one may be my favorite.

4.11/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: The beer is quite hazy amber orange in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high beige colored head that died down but consistently left a thin head covering the surface.
S: Moderately strong aromas of pumpkin pie are present in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste has bright flavors of pumpkin and pumpkin pie, but there's no associated sweetness. There are flavors of nutmeg and other spices, but these aren't too strong.
M:It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I really liked this beer because it had lots of pumpkins and pumpkin pie spices, but it wasn't really sweet or spicy. It has excellent drinkability.

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served in a chilled tulip glass. Bright amber orange, moderately cloudy appearance. Pumpkin and nutmeg dominate the aroma. True pumpkin aroma and taste, clean, and refreshing. Balanced nutmeg, cinnamon and pumpkin aroma and taste develop in 3-5 minutes: smooth, no sharp edges and nothing overwhelming. Simply a very pleasant and true pumpkin ale that I would recommend highly. My wife dislikes beer with a passion, and she asked for more after her first taste. The only pumpkin ale I have liked more was Southern Tier on tap in a tulip glass, which was a revelation. From the bottle in a tulip glass, Whole Hog has a slight edge with its balance and smooth feel.

3.87/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle into a pint glass. Nice autumn evening.

A: This looks like apple cider with a small head and good lacing.

S: Like a pureed pumpkin. Some spice

T: Pumpkin. They nailed it on the pumpkin. Great for one glass but don't want another. Some spiciness and nutmeg in the background.

M: Nearly perfect. Thick and creamy this is one full-bodied beer.

O: Liked it a lot, just like the balance of some others I've tried.

3.71/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle > Pint Glass
A - Pours a hazy amber color, half a finger of thin fizzy head, no lacing.
S - Smell isnt too appeasing to me, some burnt caramel, roasted hazelnut, tart pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg.
T - Taste has some nice roasty kind of pumpkin flavor to it, then gets warmed up with some spice, and fades on the end to a dark floral and semi tart kinda taste.
M - More on the bitter side, kinda chalky too.
O - I really didnt care for this a whole lot, its more of a roasty kind of pumpkin brown ale, but its not the worst.

4.84/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: Cloudy with a very pumpkin like orange color. Little to no head on pour. Slight lacing down glass.

S: Perfect. This is fall. It smells like the best pumpkin pie you have ever tasted. Pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg.

T: Incredible. I have had pumpkin ales before, but nothing like this. I simply can't imagine something tasting more like pumpkin pie than this beer. Very smooth, hides the alcohol content well.

F: Medium to low carbonation and body. Smooth going down.

O: As close to perfect as I have tasted in a long time. I love pumpkin which only makes this beer all the better. It is a must have for any true beer fans.

Pumpkin dark orange pour with white head that clears quickly and recedes to the edges.

The aroma is the same as opening a can of pumpkin spiced filling. Pumpkin flesh with mace, clove, cinnamon, allspice, vanilla, brown sugar, nutmeg--am I missing anybody--it' all there. I can only imagine the graham cracker crust.

The taste is the same as the smell. Caramel malts, hops and biscuit balancing this out well. Not too sweet and not one ingredient outdoes the other but works well like a World Series baseball team. Grandma blended this concoction well and baked to perfection. Nothing obtrusive about this. Love just sipping this.

Mouthfeel is creamier than all in class I've had thus far. Lush, full, rounded and chewy. Juz 'nuff carbonation to sparkle this craft.

I really wanted to give this all fives but the only thing this Whole Hog is missing is the Cool Whip. Now if they can master that for next year--one can only imagine. Thanks Grandma!!

**Update Sep 22--Just had a homemade pumpkin pie from my wife and had this Whole Hog and tastes were matched. This now goes a 5 for me.

4.97/5  rDev +21.5%

This beer is outstanding. If you want a pumpkin ale that actually tastes like pumpkin this ale is for you. The only Pumpkin ale I have had that compares is Southern Tier Pumking Ale (which is much more expensive). I have tried roughly 20 different pumpkin ales and this one is #2 overall and #1 bang for my buck. Worth every bit of $8.99 for a 4 pack.

4.96/5  rDev +21.3%

Hazy amber, quarter finger of head that slips quickly into a ring of foam.

Smell is pumpkin pie, graham cracker crust, cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel... Pumpkin pie

Taste is amazing, best in style that is for sure. Graham cracker crust hits you in the first wave with bready malt in the finish, spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, glove and a wee bit of ginger) whip cream sweetness. Wow!

Mouthfeel is medium full, creamy just like pie should be!

Wow, had this last year but not a whole one so I could not review it.... I got a case this year! It is amazing. Pumking used to be my pumpkin beer of choice. This takes pumking outside and kicks it in the balls and a 4 pack cost about the same as 1 bomber... I love being able to taste the crust of the pie in the beer!! Ya, I know some people think of Point as a Faux craft brewery but this beer WORLD CLASS.

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%

Smell - on the nose, cinnamon graham crackers, sweet brown sugar, gingerbread and pumpkin spices.

Taste - on the palate, picking up all those same notes as I did on the nose. The smell is amazing. This is a big contender against Southern Tier PumKing!

Mouthfeel - seems to dance around as its smooth and tantalizing.

Do yourself a favor and go buy a 4pk. I'm sad this was the last one left at our local liquor store. As I said earlier, this is a solid medium body beer that gives Southern Tier PumKing a run for there money. It's big on the "pumpkin" flavor, which imo how a pumpkin beer should be.

Bought this on a whim while at my local beer store. Wasn't getting my hopes up too high, as I am quite picky about my pumpkin beers. I do not like a lot of spice overpowering everything. Several other pumpkin ales have almost nauseated me, and consequentially became instant drain cleaner. I really have to say that this is THE BEST pumpkin ale I have ever had. And I've had quite a few. I liked this even more than Southern Tier Pumking, Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin, and several others. I liked this so much I was inspired to write this, my first full review. I'm not going to break down the taste, mouthfeel, etc., just want to note that I found this to be the best pumpkin ale I've had to date. I am going out to my local homebrew store soon to get ingredients to try and clone this. Way to go Whole Hog!!

4.04/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Dark orange/light brown body with a one-finger head
S: Just like fresh from the oven pumpkin pie. Great blend of pumpkin and all of the pie spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger)
T: Ditto on the palate. A bit light but great balance again of the pumpkin and spices
M: Lighter than I expected but well balanced overall
O: One of the better pumpkin beers I've had just because of how darned authentic & balanced it is. They really took the essence of a pie and put it in a bottle of beer

4.28/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Cloudy dark amber with 1 finger of off-white head. Good retention and heavy carbonation.

Pie crust, pumpkin and pumpkin spices. Nailed it!

Toasted pie crust and pumpkin meat. A balanced bouquet of traditional pumpkin pie spices including cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Caramel malts with hints of molasses and brown sugar. Touches of pumpkin rind and stem linger.

Medium plus bodied, crisp and slightly drying.

A really refreshing and solid Pumpkin Ale. This is up there with the best of them.

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours a bronzy Thanksgiving holiday orange. Thin head that disappears quickly. Looks tasty!

S – Delicious pumpkin pie aroma…Provides the November sweet ‘made from scratch’ pumpkin pie crust and all the filling with pumpkin pie spices exceptionally present. I get the nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla. Pure Perfection!!!

T – Malty flavor filled with notes of caramel, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Has the toasted pumpkin complimented by the aroma of nutmeg and cinnamon. A slight bitterness, not nearly as sweet as it smells. Yet, perfectly capturing the sweet taste of pumpkin pie in liquid form loaded with creamy spiciness.

M - Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale definitely has a slight creamy texture-like sweetness, balance with a slight earthy hop bitterness and smooth lingering pumpkin spice flavor.

O - Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale is definitely the equivalent of a piece of pumpkin pie in a glass; Whole Hog got it right from smell, color and texture. A must to have on thanksgiving with friends and family. Very rich in flavor and character with all the classic pumpkin pie qualities. Finally a pumpkin ale that’s not too boozy, but still has a kick. Not water down a faint taste of pumpkin, yet still a full-flavored winter beverage. Probably the best drinkable pumpkin ale I’ve had so far and I love pumpkin ales.

Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale from Stevens Point Brewery