Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale - Stevens Point Brewery

Wisconsin, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: beerwolf77 on 09-01-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a loud, fizzy, off-white head that has surprising persistence. Aroma is absolutely pumpkin pie; pumpkin in front of a nice, soft, clovey-spiciness. Burnt sienna color. Starts off with a great biscuity/cookie sweetness and spiciness; reminiscent of good gingerbread. Clears a little for the malt to surface more, a touch of floral hoppiness, and then back down to spiciness. Finish is lingering pumpkin and spice; clove, nutmeg (?), allspice, cinnamon.

This is maybe the best pumpkin bier I've had yet. It's dead-on for Pumpkin pie, but it has a GREAT balance of pumpkin and spice. Every bottle I drink, I just think, "Jeez...I need to buy more of this." Absolute PERFECT start to Autumn!

Bought this on a whim while at my local beer store. Wasn't getting my hopes up too high, as I am quite picky about my pumpkin beers. I do not like a lot of spice overpowering everything. Several other pumpkin ales have almost nauseated me, and consequentially became instant drain cleaner. I really have to say that this is THE BEST pumpkin ale I have ever had. And I've had quite a few. I liked this even more than Southern Tier Pumking, Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin, and several others. I liked this so much I was inspired to write this, my first full review. I'm not going to break down the taste, mouthfeel, etc., just want to note that I found this to be the best pumpkin ale I've had to date. I am going out to my local homebrew store soon to get ingredients to try and clone this. Way to go Whole Hog!!

3.87/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle into a pint glass. Nice autumn evening.

A: This looks like apple cider with a small head and good lacing.

S: Like a pureed pumpkin. Some spice

T: Pumpkin. They nailed it on the pumpkin. Great for one glass but don't want another. Some spiciness and nutmeg in the background.

M: Nearly perfect. Thick and creamy this is one full-bodied beer.

O: Liked it a lot, just like the balance of some others I've tried.

3.68/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Better than I thought it would be. I think the Whole Hog Series is starting to improve. My criticism of this beer would be that it didn't have much of a mouthfeel.

3.97/5  rDev -2.9%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A- Amber with orange hues. One finger head which fades fast to a ring around the glass.

S- Pumpkin pie! Nutmeg, brown sugar, pumpkin pie filling.

T- Fantastic pumpkin flavors. Featuring caramelized sweetness, nutmeg and spice. Ends with a bit of a heat which helps exemplify the spicy notes.

M- Smooth medium bodied brew complemented with a spicy bite and heat.

O- Hands down, the best pumpkin ale I have had. This one ACTUALLY tastes like pumpkin. I will definitely be having this beer with my thanksgiving meal this season. For those you who are down on pumpkin ales, give this take a try and it might change your opinion.

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

Had on-tap at Capone's in Norristown, PA. Poured an orangey amber color with some haziness to it. Had an aroma of spices, vanilla, caramel...pumpkin pie-esque. Taste was similar to the aroma but a little bit buttery...tasted pretty much like pumpkin pie. Very, very light hop taste...but still present. Complex and well-balanced!

Light to medium bodied, good carbonation and very drinkable. Recommended.

Pumpkin dark orange pour with white head that clears quickly and recedes to the edges.

The aroma is the same as opening a can of pumpkin spiced filling. Pumpkin flesh with mace, clove, cinnamon, allspice, vanilla, brown sugar, nutmeg--am I missing anybody--it' all there. I can only imagine the graham cracker crust.

The taste is the same as the smell. Caramel malts, hops and biscuit balancing this out well. Not too sweet and not one ingredient outdoes the other but works well like a World Series baseball team. Grandma blended this concoction well and baked to perfection. Nothing obtrusive about this. Love just sipping this.

Mouthfeel is creamier than all in class I've had thus far. Lush, full, rounded and chewy. Juz 'nuff carbonation to sparkle this craft.

I really wanted to give this all fives but the only thing this Whole Hog is missing is the Cool Whip. Now if they can master that for next year--one can only imagine. Thanks Grandma!!

**Update Sep 22--Just had a homemade pumpkin pie from my wife and had this Whole Hog and tastes were matched. This now goes a 5 for me.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

If you're like me and have always loved pumpkin-flavored things, you might think late fall leading up to thanksgiving is a fun time to eat pumpkin-flavored things, especially the pie.
Enter the specter of "pumpkin-spice flavored". Pumpkin spice is often nutmeg, sometimes cinnamon as well. I don't want a nutmeg flavored, beer, I want pumpkin. It's harder to do and it's better tasting, nutmeg is easier to do. I find that pumpkin spice beers just have too much nutmeg and often leave a lot to be desired around the spice itself.
Whole Hog is probably my top pumpkin beer of several that are good. It's full bodied, delicious, smells great, and doesn't leave you feeling like a mouth full of spice. So have this one with your turkey or over a nice roasted squash.

3.52/5  rDev -13.9%

Given to me by my good BA buddy jdostal. Thanks man!

A - Pours a clear red/orange color with a one finger off white head to top off the body. The head receded to a foamy cap in a couple of minutes, leaving some spotty lacing down the inside of my glass, but not a lot.

S - Pumpkin pie dominates the nose...cinnamon and nutmeg are also unmistakably part of the nose of this brew. I'm not a big fan of pumpkin pie, but this brew actually smells pretty appealing.

T & M - You know, I was a little scared of this brew when I got it. The thought of a Pumpkin brew didn't seem like a good idea to me. This beer actually surprised me. The taste was definitely Pumpkin Pie, but not in an overwhelming sort of way. Malty body with no hop presence. The spices I smelled in the nose were well represented. Medium bodied and creamy. Finishes pretty clean.

D - To me, they went overboard on the ABV. The usual range for this style is 4-7%...the 7.5% alcohol in this isn't really hidden that well, and I think it would be a better brew if it had a lower ABV. They seemed to be right there with the pumpkin taste in this brew though. If you enjoy Pumpkin Pie, you may very well enjoy this beer.

3.42/5  rDev -16.4%

A: A tawny brown with a dark copper hue. Reasonalbly clear with quite apparent carbonation. The very light tan head falls pretty quickly and while it does keep a ring doesn't leave much in the way of lacing.

S: Squash right up front and center! Nice. And then spices jump in - mostly cinnamon and nutmeg - not overly strong, but they do smack you around a bit. Also as whiff of alcohol in there. Malts peak through a bit and lean toward dark crystal with distinct toffee notes and some pale chocolate or something else dark and toasty. Then it is back to the vaguely boozy pumpkin pie.

T: Pumpkin pie spices and alcohol are right there and quite strong. Almost too much. Pumpkin itself starts off more muted in the palate than in the nose. Spices are heavy on cinnamon (with a bit of that spicy character of those red hot candies) and nutmeg, but also the impression that others (allspice, touch of ginger) may be present. Spices are moderated by a sugar cookie sweetness that has strong toffee notes and hints of burnt/caramelized sugars. Any hops are probably getting lost in the spices. As the initial spice wallop fades, some malty, toasty grain comes out along with more pumpkin. Good pumpkin flavor - it even seems that it may have been roasted a bit. Rich in a sweet, boozy, spicy way. I would like to see more middle - more malts - to help carry and smooth the rest. The spice load starts to get to me without an adequate base behind it.

M: Just medium body - which is a bit light for the style and abv. CO2 just over medium which is ok, but along with the spices contributes to finish that seems more drying than it really is. Spices get a bit prickly at the very end.

D: With the initial boozy & spicy hit ( and the apparent and relatively high abv) this, for me, is no easy drinker. I really like the well done pumpkin in this one, but would like more malty flavor and body to provide a richer base for the booze and spice, and to round out the beer. The added heft would also contribute to the sipper quality of this fine seasonal. I could actually go for a tad less spice and booze too, and maybe a touch more pronounced on the pumpkin.

3.91/5  rDev -4.4%

smells like pumpkin pie; light pumpkin aroma with cinnamon and other spices more prevalent.
flavor is caramel, light pumpkin, cinnamon, brown sugar
very sticky and slightly dry
pretty good pumpkin beer, better than most. night owl still reigns supreme in my mind though.

4.29/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a thick, murky caramel color with a minimal khaki head that soon dissipates. The aroma smells EXACTLY of pumpkin pie, and not in the contrived, artificial way that is so often the case. Probably the most authentic smelling pumpkin ale I've tried. Traces of raisin and alcohol manifest as well as the beer warms.

Flavors are subtle and complex, slowly progressing from start to finish. Pumpkin, hops, gingerbread, and some caramel malt present up front. This is followed by a dose of pumpkin spices that tickle the back of the tongue, awash in pumpkin and mild hop bitterness. Alcohol hits at the finish in a way that is slightly more caustic than I would prefer, and the hops overstay their welcome a shade as well, but these are fairly minor grievances. Maybe it's my imagination, but there appear to be traces of golden delicious apple lurking near the finish as well. This is a complex brew indeed.

The mouthfeel is pretty robust for a pumpkin ale and complements the flavor profile nicely. The overall experience only enhances as the beer warms, lending even more vitality and depth of flavor. I think it would be fair to say that Whole Hog is the closest I've come to finding a pumpkin ale that embodies what I've always imagined a pumpkin ale should be: a smooth, rich, flavorful beer infused with the essence of authentic pumpkin pie. A real winner.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

A - Pours amber brown with a head that dies down pretty quickly.
S - Pumpkin and spices fill your nose. You can smell the pumpkin as you are pouring the beer into the glass.
T - A mouthful of pumpkin. You get a great balance of sweet/sour/spice in this pumpkin ale.
M - Medium to thin mouth feel, but the flavor does hang around for awhile.
O - This is really a model pumpkin beer that others should aspire to. Full, rich pumpkin flavor but balanced and very drinkable. Top 5 Pumpkin of 2014 for me.

4.71/5  rDev +15.2%

Taste 40/40
Feel 10/10
Drinkability 19/20

Overall 97/100

Taste like straight home homemade pie... Hands down the best Pumpkin beer I ever had. Near perfect in every way... Can't wait till next Autumn~

I had this on-tap at Andy's Corner Bar in Bogota, New Jersey.

Copper color body, off white head.

Mostly cinnamon and pumpkin with the aroma.

Cinnamon, brown sugar, pumpkin, and even a detection of mint comes through with the taste. Quite tasty.

Light carbonation, very easy to drink but I can see how it can get a little heavy in the tummy after another one.

This is a tasty pumpkin ale; I have had others where it was too unbalanced but this is quite tasty. All the flavors work well together and nothing is too overpowering. Alcohol is hidden well.

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: A bright pale red color when put up to the light and a one and a half finger off white head

Smell: Fresh pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice notes

Taste: Same as smell; pumpkin pie all in harmony, but less in your face than the aromas

Mouthfeel: Light medium body; Goes down very smooth with very little bitterness

Overall: im not the one to rave about pumpkin beers, in fact im typically not a fan at all, but this one is as advertised. I much prefer it to Pumking. Its less spicy and more balanced between natural pumpkin and pumpkin spice notes. It's a winner folks! Try it for yourself

4.96/5  rDev +21.3%

Hazy amber, quarter finger of head that slips quickly into a ring of foam.

Smell is pumpkin pie, graham cracker crust, cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel... Pumpkin pie

Taste is amazing, best in style that is for sure. Graham cracker crust hits you in the first wave with bready malt in the finish, spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, glove and a wee bit of ginger) whip cream sweetness. Wow!

Mouthfeel is medium full, creamy just like pie should be!

Wow, had this last year but not a whole one so I could not review it.... I got a case this year! It is amazing. Pumking used to be my pumpkin beer of choice. This takes pumking outside and kicks it in the balls and a 4 pack cost about the same as 1 bomber... I love being able to taste the crust of the pie in the beer!! Ya, I know some people think of Point as a Faux craft brewery but this beer WORLD CLASS.

4.61/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fantastic pumpkin beer. Thick on the mouth feel, incredible smell, full bodied and deep pumpkin flavor. Best pumpkin beer I've had, tops PumKing for me.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours clear, copper colored, and with a thin head that melts quickly to a white ring. A thin layer of yeast or sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

Sweet malt and spice in the aroma. Not an overwhelming spice profile like some pumpkin ales I've tried.

Great flavor. Reminiscent of a graham cracker. Cinnamon, ginger, and plenty of sweetness. I was not expecting the flavor to be so delicious!

Smooth, heavy bodied beer with a very wet lingering finish. A nice, sharp carbonation.

The appearance and aroma was a little misleading. But, this is a really great pumpkin ale. Bold, heavy, sweet and flavorful.

2.86/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This brew pours a copper color with a thin head which dissipates quickly and little lacing. Low carbonation.

The smell is has some pumpkin and spices in it; possibly cardamom and allspice. Caramel malts and brown sugar.

The taste is light on both the pumpkin and the spices. Not much pumpkin taste at all.

The mouthfeel is thin and watery

Overall I think this is a complete miss as a pumpkin ale. In don't understand the high ratings for this brew. Little pumpkin smell or taste. Little pumpkin spice smell or taste; this brew is even light on the caramel malts. There are much better pumpkin ales out there.

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Look = 3.75 Pours a cloudy, murky brown with red highlights and 1 finger of light brown head that fades away quickly, light lace. Clumpy sediment is obvious, either yeast or maybe pumpkin? Nice color, but the rest of the look isn’t great.
Aroma = 4.5 Great strong aroma on this one; distinct pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg dominate the aroma on top of a sweet caramel backbone.
Taste = 3.75 Some mild pumpkin flavors upfront and good spice flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg on the backend that lingers into the aftertaste. Doesn’t live up to the aroma though.
Feel = 3.75 Light bodied with high carbonation; thin and fizzy.
Drinkability = 3.75 Flavors and feel don’t lend itself to great drinkability.
Overall = 3.9375 Great aroma is not backed up in the other categories; still, a pretty solid pumpkin ale.

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured in pint glass

A) Dark orange, cloudy, medium amount of visible carbonation, thick amber color head.

S) Pumpkin Pie spices, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, pumpkin, honey, malt, bread

T) Same as the smell but a tasted a lot of brown sugar and pumpkin.

M) medium carbonation and thick

O) very tasty beer great series by Steven's Point. So far this one may be my favorite.

4.14/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look - Brown w/ reddish hues, opaque
Smell - pumpkin, cinnamon, malt sweetness, clove, candy, yams. Makes your mouth water
Taste - Follows the nose. Tons of pumpkin, clove, cinnamon, hints of vanilla type sweetness, roasty

Overall - One of the better pumpkins I've had this year. Gives Schlaflys a run or it's money but doesn't quite surpass it.

4.29/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Doesn't look too bad. Hazy dark orange liquid with a one finger white head that fades quickly. Halfway through the drink, there is no head.

S: Smells heavily of pumpkin pie. Sweet malt, pumpkin, and subtle spices.

T: Yum, yum, yum, yum. This has one of the best, most flavorful pumpkin profiles I've ever had. The sweet pumpkin is there, but it's supported by your usual dose of pumpkin spices: nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. However, the spices don't overpower the pumpkin.

M: It's a bit thin and bubbly. It's not too distracting, but it could weaken the flavor. The 7.5% is no where to be seen. Very drinkable.

O: Pumpkin ales are extremely hit or miss. This one is very, very good. Typically, the brewers overload the beer with spices that one would associate with pumpkin pie, but not add real pumpkin (or just add some type of artificial pumpkin flavor.)

With this one, you get a lot of actual pumpkin taste with the spices supporting it instead of overpowering it.

Aside from the appearance and mouthfeel, this is the perfect pumpkin ale, in my opinion.

4.73/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This Pumpkin ale is now my champ! Ive done a pumking side by side test and this one is off the charts. Please be sure to let this beer warm a bit. The pumpkin characteristics really come through at a warmer temp than typical beers. Think of it like a stout.
Just to reiterate how good this beer is, I had a fall beer fest with a handful of my good beer friends and this one stole the show.

Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale from Stevens Point Brewery