Whole Hog Raspberry Saison - Stevens Point Brewery

Whole Hog Raspberry SaisonWhole Hog Raspberry Saison

Stevens Point Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: cokes on 07-28-2010)

4.5/5  rDev +39.8%

4.25/5  rDev +32%

4.25/5  rDev +32%

4.1/5  rDev +27.3%

A- Poured an orangish-yellow with a fingerling of head, not strong lacing, decent carbonation

S-Smells sweet and malty, touch of rasperries, lemongrass, and pepper

T/M Clean crisp raspberry with citrus notes and then a touch of pepper in the finish, Balanced and smooth. A touch sticky, perhaps, but a good fruit beer

Overall- I had this beer before and was perplexed by the negative reviews. I had to try it again to see if my initial impressions were wrong. Nope. I feel some people judged it too harshly because it is not a "true" saison, but many of those people missed the point of this beer. It is a great FRUIT beer, sessionable, and exceptionally crafted.

3.98/5  rDev +23.6%

On a side note I gave my girlfriend some of the Bell's Cherry Stout from #8 and she loved it.

Powering onto Blind Beer #9. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Dogfish Head snifter.

a - Pours a murky orange-yellow color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of candy, sweet fruit, bananas, floral hops, spices, fruity malts, earthy notes. Smells pretty good, though no real idea what this one is. Reminds me of maybe a very sweet tripel?

t - Tastes of sweet fruit, fruity malts, floral hops and earthy amlts, yeast, spices, bananas, and light alcohol. Again, very nice but itneresting; still not sure what it is.

m - Medium body and low to moderate carbonation. Smooth and very easy to drink.

o - Overall not really sure what this one is. Reminds me of a sweet tripel maybe? Either way I enjoyed this one and it is definitely the most interesting beer I've had in this BIF so far.

And the beer is...Whole Hog Raspberry Saison. I was way off on this one, though after the fact I can see some light raspberry juice and saison like notes. Looks like I liked this one more than most people, and my girlfriend enjoyed it too. Thanks for another interesting beer Kyle!

3.88/5  rDev +20.5%

A - Slight haze in a golden orange body having a rather significant amount of rapidly rising bubbles. The head is off-white and started at about two inches. It has since retreated to a quarter inch where is seems to plateau.

S - Orange, tangerine, slight malt and a hint of wheat field.

T - In the beginning there's a nice balance between the fruit flavor and the malt. As the flavors transition the raspberry taste takes control. However, it doesn't overwhelm at any point. This is a nice, light flavored fruit brew that has a great taste for summer, (and autumn) sampling.

M - Coarse and abrasive for the majority of each pull. Once down, a thick layer of brew seems to be left coating the interior of my mouth.

~ I like this beer. It is nice to see a beer brewed with fruit that isn't overwhelmingly fruity. Especially one I can drink out at a backyard BBQ, or while hanging out at the sandbar while drifting on the boat. I definitely recommend this beer as a strong fruit beer, as far as a saison, not as much.

3.83/5  rDev +18.9%

I like this more as a fruit beer than a saison. I am just a luke warm fan of Stevens Point, but this one is pretty OK.

It has the usual saison grassy flavor with a bit more regular hops and all of it tempered by a nice fruit flavor. The aroma is a nice fresh blend of things including the fruit.

The aftertaste has a solid booze going on, but again, with fruit under it. I won't go looking for this, but it was an interesting taste.

3.8/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appears a transparent light orange toned gold with a small white cap. Small co2 bubbles slowly rise to the top. Spotty bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of raspberry, cream, vanilla, grain, and clover honey.
Taste is of the aromas with a sweet, flavorful punch that lends itself to earthy, goaty, mushroom flavors atop a sweet raspberry custard.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, sweet, chewy, and semi-dry. This one actually grew on me as I drank it. I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised with how different it was. I wouldn't call this a "saison" per se but it is a tasty brew.

3.76/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Golden-red, cloudy. A thin head that dissipates quickly. Very inviting looking.

Smell: Berries, a little bit of the danky smell I'm starting to associate with saisons. Definitely sweet smelling, maybe a little caramel. Vaguely leafy and flowery. After I've drunk a little I swear I'm picking up on smokiness, too.

Taste: Ooh, this is interesting. Sweet, followed by a little muted...maybe some dankiness, then more sweet (but a different sweet, tending almost towards sickly-sweet, but not too far), and an almost smoky taste as it goes down. I'm not getting a ton of the raspberry, but I think it's just enough. I'm not usually a fan of saisons, so I'll credit the little raspberry with balancing it in a way I really like. A little watery at some points, but I'm not sure that detracts from it, in my taste. Other parts of the taste are intense enough that it's a little bit of a nice break. I don't think this is a new favorite, but I definitely find this to be an interesting beer.

Mouthfeel: A little bit of carbonation up front and then less, then more building as it sits. Light, a little watery, but not too much.

Overall: I like it. I don't love it, but it's pretty good. I don't think I'd order it out with friends, but it's nice to sit and enjoy.

3.6/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Poured a cloudy light orange in color topped with a half finger off white head. The head recedes quickly and leaves only minimal lacing.

S - The aroma is kind of a sweet smell, I guess it could be characterized as an artificial raspberry smell. This is followed by yeast and a peppery spice aroma.

T & M - The raspberry is certainly more prevalent in the taste than it is in the nose, and it is followed up by that peppery spice toward the end. This is all balanced out by an understated maltiness. Cluster and Willamette hops? Not finding them here...they must have been used in moderation. Thin bodied with moderate carbonation. The carbonation gives it a coarse mouthfeel. The 7.2% ABV is actually very well masked.

D - This is easy to drink, but I'm not seeing this as a Saison...more of a fruit beer I think. A good brew for a hot day in the Summer sun, but I would probably buy something else to fill my cooler. Worth a try.

3.53/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz twist-off bottle poured into a Bruery tulip.
7.2% ABV, 13925F on the neck.

A - A shallow haze forms over the goldenrod beer which is briefly topped with an effervescent white head. Fingers of lace reach up the glass but curl back to the ring of roam that's left on the top of the beer.

S - Stevens Point Whole Hog Raspberry Saison opens with a nice nose of bright yeast esters; spice abounds with layers of clay, white pepper, lemongrass, and bitter orange peel. Malt sweetness is aplenty, though vaguely reminiscent of malt extract, with sweet pilsner, caramel, and pale graininess creating a backbone. It's odd that through the rest of the nose, raspberry seems subdued, almost forgotten about with light tart fruit notes blowing a kiss on the finish.

T - Abundant sweetness washes over the tongue casting aside much of the aroma's nuances for a simple, up front malt character. Pilsner malt and caramel mix with what seems like plenty of Belgian blonde candi sugar. Light spice follows with, again, a kiss of sweet raspberry flavor on the back end.

M - Medium-full bodied, this saison has light carbonation for the style which doesn't help the fact it's already a beefy-feeling beer. Sweetness is big but not quite cloying and mildly balanced by dry spice and tart fruit notes for a moderately drinkable saison for the heft it hides.

O - The aroma of Stevens Point Whole Hog Raspberry Saison offers a nice look into the depth of character a saison can have but missed the mark regarding the aroma's transition to flavor which is heavily malty and sweet. To even things out, this beer could use a little more fresh raspberry and hop balance though lowering the malt bill to allow more yeast to shine through might be the acceptable approach. Flavorful nonetheless.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Hazy, glowing orange in the tulip glass. An ample cushion of creamy foam, it fades to a more compact level fairly quickly. Soapy foam leaves residual arcs of lace inside the glass. Halfway through, the head breaks apart into tiny bits.

First whiff throws off some banana, pear, and faint berry. Almost more Hefeweizen than Saison, but that's beside the point. It smells good.

The body is creamy and smooth, maybe a bit too slick, but soft like a Hefe too. The creaminess is the first thing I notice, then maltiness in the middle with an indistinct berry flavor to it. The fruit element comes off a bit syrupy, which is a little off putting. It has a vague tartness and an odd herbal/bubblegum aftertaste at times that leaves me shaking my head.

The taste needs tweaking, it's a little jarring as it is. The smooth body was an asset that helped the drinkability, but ultimately flavor is what we're after here.

Whole Hog Raspberry Saison from Stevens Point Brewery