Whole Hog Raspberry Saison - Stevens Point Brewery

Beer added by: cokes on 07-28-2010

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 75 | Reviews: 33
3.44/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Bottle sent to me by BeerFMAndy. Thanks Andy!

Served in a DC Brau tulip.

A: Poured a very, very saturated cloudy orange color with only a wisp of a head to speak of. Looks like a saison.

S: Pretty gnarly actually. The raspberry component seemed fake and the Belgian yeast strain dominated just about everything.

T: Much better than the nose. I got raspberry juice in there through and through and the Belgiany quality was more on the backburner than I thought it was going to be. Good.

M: This one would have benefited greatly from an over-the-top, kick-ass carbonation component. Those bubbles would have cut through the saturated sweet component and then some.

O: I'm a huge saison fan. I this one deserves a bit more credit than it's getting on here, but not by much.

3.3/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Undated 12 oz bottle poured into a Belgian snifter 7.2% ABV.

Pours slightly hazy, orange-amber with a hint of pink. It is briefly topped with a bone-colored; this soons dies away but some lacing still occurs. A coat of sediment is left on the bottom of the bottle.

This raspberry saison has a relatively refreshing, complex and fruity nose. There are notes of orange peel, pepper, raspberries and other red berries, caramel, and hops.

T: The taste starts quite sweet but this is partly balanced by some tartness and hop bitterness. Raspberries are evident in the flavor too, but this is also more yeasty and herbal than the aroma. Lightly spicy and moderately fruity.

M: Medium-light bodied, this saison has a bit too much astringent harshness.

O: moderately sweet, barely funky and quite fruity, this is a very drinkable and refreshing saison, but one that would probably not fair well with larger quantities than a single bottle or pint.

3.1/5  rDev -3.7%

Slightly hazy copper with pink highlights and a frothy cream head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving sticky lacing.

Sweet bubblegum and raspberry form the initial aroma. Floral notes and a hint of yeast funk emerge.

Flavor reveals more depth of raspberry, slightly sweet, but becoming dry, somewhat medicinal, and a touch peppery at the finish. Malt sweetness is somewhat overwhelming.

Body is moderate, with fairly high carbonation, and significant alcohol warmth.

A bit too sweet and underattenuated, and the medicinal character is offputting. Good initial raspberry flavor, but a little hot, as well. Not a fan of the bubblegum.

3.78/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Golden-red, cloudy. A thin head that dissipates quickly. Very inviting looking.

Smell: Berries, a little bit of the danky smell I'm starting to associate with saisons. Definitely sweet smelling, maybe a little caramel. Vaguely leafy and flowery. After I've drunk a little I swear I'm picking up on smokiness, too.

Taste: Ooh, this is interesting. Sweet, followed by a little muted...maybe some dankiness, then more sweet (but a different sweet, tending almost towards sickly-sweet, but not too far), and an almost smoky taste as it goes down. I'm not getting a ton of the raspberry, but I think it's just enough. I'm not usually a fan of saisons, so I'll credit the little raspberry with balancing it in a way I really like. A little watery at some points, but I'm not sure that detracts from it, in my taste. Other parts of the taste are intense enough that it's a little bit of a nice break. I don't think this is a new favorite, but I definitely find this to be an interesting beer.

Mouthfeel: A little bit of carbonation up front and then less, then more building as it sits. Light, a little watery, but not too much.

Overall: I like it. I don't love it, but it's pretty good. I don't think I'd order it out with friends, but it's nice to sit and enjoy.

3.55/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz twist-off bottle poured into a Bruery tulip.
7.2% ABV, 13925F on the neck.

A - A shallow haze forms over the goldenrod beer which is briefly topped with an effervescent white head. Fingers of lace reach up the glass but curl back to the ring of roam that's left on the top of the beer.

S - Stevens Point Whole Hog Raspberry Saison opens with a nice nose of bright yeast esters; spice abounds with layers of clay, white pepper, lemongrass, and bitter orange peel. Malt sweetness is aplenty, though vaguely reminiscent of malt extract, with sweet pilsner, caramel, and pale graininess creating a backbone. It's odd that through the rest of the nose, raspberry seems subdued, almost forgotten about with light tart fruit notes blowing a kiss on the finish.

T - Abundant sweetness washes over the tongue casting aside much of the aroma's nuances for a simple, up front malt character. Pilsner malt and caramel mix with what seems like plenty of Belgian blonde candi sugar. Light spice follows with, again, a kiss of sweet raspberry flavor on the back end.

M - Medium-full bodied, this saison has light carbonation for the style which doesn't help the fact it's already a beefy-feeling beer. Sweetness is big but not quite cloying and mildly balanced by dry spice and tart fruit notes for a moderately drinkable saison for the heft it hides.

O - The aroma of Stevens Point Whole Hog Raspberry Saison offers a nice look into the depth of character a saison can have but missed the mark regarding the aroma's transition to flavor which is heavily malty and sweet. To even things out, this beer could use a little more fresh raspberry and hop balance though lowering the malt bill to allow more yeast to shine through might be the acceptable approach. Flavorful nonetheless.

3.04/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a brown-yellow color and a dirty, cloudy consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Not much lacing.

S: The raspberry is evident in the aroma, but not much else. A little bit of the saison funk, but not much.

T: Tasted of malt, the advertised raspberries, some yeast, and a little but of the aforementioned saison funk. There's simply not that much going on here. It's a thin brew that lets the fruit dominate its flavor.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with a dry finish. Medium-bodied.

O: Kind of a weak effort here. It seems more like a failed experiment than anything else.

2.2/5  rDev -31.7%

A: golden, slightly cloudy, with no head at all

S: vomit mixed with spice and a hint of raspberry...okay, not much vomit, but it's not a great smell. Alcohol and acid and spice sum it up.

T: tastes like an average saison with raspberry flavoring. A bit salty, plus the tastes don't mix too well. Too much alcohol flavor.

M: plenty of carbonation but the body is too thick for a saison, so the carbonation can't shine

O: why would I ever get this? It doesn't even sound good. Just glad I only bought a single 12 ounce.

3.82/5  rDev +18.6%

I like this more as a fruit beer than a saison. I am just a luke warm fan of Stevens Point, but this one is pretty OK.

It has the usual saison grassy flavor with a bit more regular hops and all of it tempered by a nice fruit flavor. The aroma is a nice fresh blend of things including the fruit.

The aftertaste has a solid booze going on, but again, with fruit under it. I won't go looking for this, but it was an interesting taste.

2.65/5  rDev -17.7%

1376th Review on BA
Bottle to Ithaca Tulip
12oz

No bottle date
Purchased from Total Wine, Las Vegas for 1.79

App- When this pours out its like a mix of honey and apple juice. Its a weird looking orange and yellows. A small 1/4" head forms thats was off white with no cling.

Smell- You get a bunch of the raspberry but smells too artificial. Has a small amount of the saison notes of wheat and spice but just off to me.

Taste- Its a saison with artificial raspberry. Wasnt the best, wasnt the worst. Had some nice flavors, a little thick and sweet but okay.

Mouth- A medium body with a thicker medium carbonation. Sweet raspberry artificial flavors.

Drink- It was less than 2. Just wont have it again.

3.07/5  rDev -4.7%

From tasting notes... Poured from 12 oz bottle into CBS snifter.

A) Light amber, fairly bright. There was not much head, and what was there settled to a collar. No lacing.

S) The malt sweetness was like butterscotch. There was a little spice, and of course some raspberry aroma. There was not much hop presence in the aroma.

T) A bit of yeast, malt sweetness. Raspberry and light spices. A little alcohol, but I found it to be fairly well hidden. Okay balance of flavors.

M) A medium/light bodied brew, that to me, really lacked an enjoyable mouthfeel. This felt flat, which was unexpected. Not sure of the bottling date. It went down alright.

O) This was a pretty average beer. I didn't find it near repulsive, but I can't imagine a scenario where I'll be drinking it again.

2.67/5  rDev -17.1%

Tepid pour. Maybe I shouldn't have tried to put it in a pint glass, but I don't think it'd look any better in a chalice. Dull orange yellow, no head.

Smells like a decent saison, though maybe unbalanced and a little weak. White pepper, weeds, and a tiny bit of alcohol burn.

Tastes not *bad*, really, but it's a mess. Like a medium strength saison up front, with big nodes of pepper with a tiny bit of medicinal offness. This is followed up by astringent alcohol and a little hint of raspberries. Meh.

I'm thinking this is aged, and age ain't treated it all that well. The folks at Point are usually pretty competent, though, so I'll try this again if I ever see it fresh.

2.81/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours a beautiful cloudy bright orange yellow with a thick off white 2 finger head. Smells of raspberries and Belgium yeast. Aroma is lighter than I expected. First sip is super sweet to the point of being too sweet. As it warms some tartness appears but still too sweet for my taste. There’s candy notes and a banana flavor here too, but it is old banana. Each sip I keep thinking too damn sweet. Not enough yeast to think this will get more tart, sour, or better over time. Disappointed. Best part about this beer is the cool green cap featuring a black and pink pig.

3.02/5  rDev -6.2%

On-tap at Watershed.

A- Pours a light orange with a pink hue and two finger head that leaves no lacing.

S- Subtle belgian funk, clove, banana, raspberry, floral hops and biscuity malt

T- Belgian funk, clove, banana, raspberry, floral notes and some biscuity malt at the end. Fairly sweet for a saison.

M- High carbonation and medium body. The carbonation reminded me of seltzer water, way too much and which had a sharp mouthfeel. Finishes dry.

O- I like the idea of the Raspberry Saison, however, I thought this wasn't executed that well. Pretty sweet and the carbonation was just way too high to make it very drinkable.

1.11/5  rDev -65.5%

Bottle at the bar poured into a pint shaped glass.

Pours a finger of white bead. Fades down fast. Color is a dark slightly hazed autumn gold. Very dark for a saison.

Aroma/Taste (combining these because I couldn't stomach much of this beer): Raspberry smirnoff/ smirnoff ice malt beverage flavors. Maybe some bacardi razz. Very little saison flavors. A bit of spice and some malt, but this stuff is awful. It is more like drinking a mixed drink than a beer... a terrible mixed drink at that.

Mouthfeel: Boozy and hot. Medium bodied with a fine amount of carbonation. Ends with an aftertaste of taking similar to taking a shot.

Overall, this was one of the worst beers I have ever tasted in my life. I would rather drink a bmc product. This beer was just awful.

4.12/5  rDev +28%

A- Poured an orangish-yellow with a fingerling of head, not strong lacing, decent carbonation

S-Smells sweet and malty, touch of rasperries, lemongrass, and pepper

T/M Clean crisp raspberry with citrus notes and then a touch of pepper in the finish, Balanced and smooth. A touch sticky, perhaps, but a good fruit beer

Overall- I had this beer before and was perplexed by the negative reviews. I had to try it again to see if my initial impressions were wrong. Nope. I feel some people judged it too harshly because it is not a "true" saison, but many of those people missed the point of this beer. It is a great FRUIT beer, sessionable, and exceptionally crafted.

2.78/5  rDev -13.7%

A- Inch white head on top of a mid to darker golden saison. Nice lacing and decent head retention.

S- Fruity although I can't pick out raspberries specifically.

T- Overly sweet with raspberries. Some spices. A little booze.

M- Not a lot of carbonation, kind of syrupy actually.

D/O- Pretty one dimensional in the taste. I feel if it would have been carbonated more it would have helped a lot. This would be a good one to split...the second half of my tulip was hard to drink.

2.28/5  rDev -29.2%

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - hazed brass color with a thin white head.

S - fruity pebbles cereal.

T - odd fruity taste with a bland alcoholic finish.

F - medium bodied with mild carbonation.

O - I could only get halfway through this one before I had enough.

3.97/5  rDev +23.3%

On a side note I gave my girlfriend some of the Bell's Cherry Stout from #8 and she loved it.

Powering onto Blind Beer #9. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Dogfish Head snifter.

a - Pours a murky orange-yellow color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of candy, sweet fruit, bananas, floral hops, spices, fruity malts, earthy notes. Smells pretty good, though no real idea what this one is. Reminds me of maybe a very sweet tripel?

t - Tastes of sweet fruit, fruity malts, floral hops and earthy amlts, yeast, spices, bananas, and light alcohol. Again, very nice but itneresting; still not sure what it is.

m - Medium body and low to moderate carbonation. Smooth and very easy to drink.

o - Overall not really sure what this one is. Reminds me of a sweet tripel maybe? Either way I enjoyed this one and it is definitely the most interesting beer I've had in this BIF so far.

And the beer is...Whole Hog Raspberry Saison. I was way off on this one, though after the fact I can see some light raspberry juice and saison like notes. Looks like I liked this one more than most people, and my girlfriend enjoyed it too. Thanks for another interesting beer Kyle!

3.05/5  rDev -5.3%

Golden color with a little haze and a white head, the beer is pretty average looking. Lots of raspberry aroma, along with some pale malt and flowery sweetness. The taste is intensely sweet...too sweet, actually. There is a bit of bitterness, and a touch of citric crispness. Earthy and a little bitter in the finish. Smooth mouthfeel. I wouldn't call this a saison, but the beer is a reasonably drinkable.

3.82/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appears a transparent light orange toned gold with a small white cap. Small co2 bubbles slowly rise to the top. Spotty bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of raspberry, cream, vanilla, grain, and clover honey.
Taste is of the aromas with a sweet, flavorful punch that lends itself to earthy, goaty, mushroom flavors atop a sweet raspberry custard.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, sweet, chewy, and semi-dry. This one actually grew on me as I drank it. I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised with how different it was. I wouldn't call this a "saison" per se but it is a tasty brew.

2.56/5  rDev -20.5%

12oz. bottle served in a Blvd. Tank 7 tulip. Poured a hazy light gold with a thin white head. Bottle conditioned. Belgian spice in the aroma with banana and some raspberry. Raspberry syrupy flavor. Kind of medicinal like cough syrup. Aroma is better than flavor. More banana, seems like they used a hefe yeast instead of Belgian yeast. I didn't have high expectations from this beer, based on my previous experience with this brewery. I'm glad that I only bought one.

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance- Very light Amber in color, a weak thin white head.

Smell- Strong Raspberry and cream aroma's with sort of green scents around the edges.

Taste- Big Sour Flavor, the raspberry note is very light and almost not there. Belgian Yeast flavor dominates with bits of honey.

Mouthfeel- The flavor really nice and big it fills out and really gives a lingering finish.

Drinkability- Nice beer but so very sour I really couldn't have more than one.

2.97/5  rDev -7.8%

Slightly cloudy peach colored body with a smaller than average head for the style.

Aromas of bubblegum and juicy fruit gum, some subdued herbal hops, banana, some sweet maltose that is just less than biscuity. Strangely not really any raspberry. Smells pretty good, though.

Ugh, cough syrup raspberry flavor dominates the brew. A little hop spicy/bitter characteristics and some softness from some yeast being left in the brew, but the 'refreshing tartness' is more of a medicinal bitterness and the touch of raspberry just tastes super fake.

Very crisp and spicy. Goes well with the style. Perhaps a little too crisp.

This would be a good beer if not for the raspberry flavoring, or maybe it wouldn't and that is why they added it. Looks, smells, feels good, but tastes like Robitusin.

2.33/5  rDev -27.6%

Wierd, artificial tasting concoction.

Nice head and appearance. Lots of aroma, just not sure what it is. Beery flavor overwhelmed by an odd unnatural flavor like marischino cherry. Bitter but without any actual hop flavor I can identify. Aftertaste burns with that same bitterness and a strong peculiar taste reminiscent of rose water. To add to the strange experience, my teeth and mouth feel coated with something like glycerine.

Maybe there is a hint of Belgian yeast here, but it's a total mess. Fortunately I can dump the rest of it and open something else to kill the taste.

a- bottle poured into a snifter, half inch head fades quickly to a wispy layer and ring around the glass, hazy honey color.

s- tart raspberry, peppery, saison nose, slight lemon, some grain.

t- raspberry is here for sure, slight tartness, all the usual saison flavors are here, the raspberry was so intense in the beginning but fades on the backend, a bit of sweet alcohol.

m- smooth, slight prickle.

d- okay, this is just an average one though, i had higher hopes but this fades and isn't as flavorful as i would have liked.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »