Bourbon Barrel Coffee Mint Stout - South Shore Brewery

good

South Shore Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: battlekow on 02-26-2006)

1.25/5  rDev -64%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Free bottle. poured into snifter.

A - Coffee brown to black with a thin 1 finger head. I could tell it has a very thin body.

S - Ugh, Listerine and medicinal. Where the hell is the rest of the beer? No coffee or stout present in the aroma.

T - Goodbye, this stuff is a drainpour. May as well be Listerine with ground up peppermint candies (the circular red and white ones). No other flavors in this beer.

M - Thin, very thin and over carbonated.

O - What a mess of a beer. At least I didn't pay for it. No clue how this has a "good" rating on here.

1.46/5  rDev -57.9%

Infected.... my god such a good mint chocolate smell.. sout taste, slight mint and chocolate but clearly soured from infection. Thin. A few sips and down it went.

1.5/5  rDev -56.8%

1.83/5  rDev -47.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

22 ounce bottle from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee (separate review hopefully on its way), around $6.

I love stout. And bourbon barrel aging is my favorite thing you can do to beer. And I love coffee, including in beer. And I love mint, though I rarely have had it in beer. I grow both peppermint and spearmint, cook with mint, eat mint straight, make mojitos with mint. So the stars looked aligned here.

Unfortunately, this beer is like a cross between a dark ale mouthwash and a menthol cigarette.

Appearance: this is fine. Deep, opaque brown to black. Light, middle brown head, leaves a little lacing. Everything goes downhill from here.

Smell: sharp, harsh medicinal. That's the mint. Little to nothing else. No coffee evident.

Taste: phew, this stuff is almost a drainpour. Like I said, it's like drinking a menthol cigarette. Ummm, sharp, strong, astrigent.

Mouthfeel: the astringent, sharp, biting mint is so strong that it overwhelms the mouthfeel. Leaves a slightly slick coating in my mouth -- not sure what that's about.

Overall: I don't even know if I would cook with this stuff. I'm struggling right now with drainpouring it. And I hate drainpouring stuff.

I love experimental beers, and brewers that are willing to take a chance. Unfortunately this one just didn't pan out. I dunno: less mint? more coffee? A little more residual sweetness to balance the sharp astringency of the mint?

BTW, South Shore Brewery's website lists this beer as 6.1% ABV. I'll try to submit an update.

2.25/5  rDev -35.2%

Thanks to kbutler1 for sharing this one.

Pours 1/2 finger of tan head. Fades to a thin layer. Color is a deep brown, basically black.

Aroma: Chocolate chip mint ice cream flavored. Some chocolate syrup flavors. I don't pick up the bourbon or barrel flavors.

Taste: Has a sour flavor to it, but that might just be the mint. The taste follows the nose nearly identically. Chocolate chip mint ice cream. Some roasted malts.

Mouthfeel: Sweet and sour. Very odd. Medium bodied with a bit higher amount of carbonation. Ends with a very roasted aftertaste.

Overall, I wasn't a big fan of this one. It was just roasted and tasted a bit sour (maybe it was the mint). No barrel aging flavors to it. I couldn't drink too much of this one.

2.28/5  rDev -34.3%

Let me preface by saying I have been pleased with South Shore so far. Been on 2 brewery tours and all the beers I tasted were good if not great...now on to the review of this beer. Bought in Duluth in the bomber format.

Ap- Looks yummy. Typical stout, deep brown color with a nice tan head that lingers for awhile. I can't wait to taste this baby.

Ar- Peppermint, chocolate, dark fruit and a hint of bourbon...looking forward to tasting this one.

T- Whoa, something is up here? I have never had an infected beer but this tastes wrong. Pretty sure this is my first experience with an infected batch. REALLY sour up front and not in a good way. I have had sours before and this just doesn't taste right. Pretty sure this beer got infected and I can't believe how bad this tastes. My wife and I split a bomber and she took 1 sip and left the rest. Just a bad initial taste. The finish was good though with chocolate, dark fruit and some mint, but the overall taste is just bad.

M- medium to thick with good carbonation

O- something went wrong with this one. Looked great, smelled great but the taste was terrible. I am chalking this up to an infection. This won't keep me from getting other South Shore offerings but I am left wondering WTF???? I would honestly rather drink a Bud Light Chelada than this thing...

2.73/5  rDev -21.3%

Well, you need to like mint to like this beer, and not just kind of like mint...you need to really like it. Overall a well made beer that just did not do it for me. I like mint in certain things, this beer was not one of them. All other taste/smell/mouth-feel characteristics were overwhelmed (to my palate) by the mint. The aroma is medicinal, not just "fresh mint", and so is the flavor although I imagine they actually used fresh mint in this. Anyway, did not even finish my small taste of this beer, tried a few sips and had enough. Just not my cuppa'

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

Picked up a bomber across the river in Wisconsin because, well, it said barrel on the label. And it sounds ginormously weird. Who could resist? Not I. Split with my wifey.

Pour is dark brown I suppose, there is light shining through, barely. Smell is certainly minty fresh, with a healthy shot of coffee. No hint of barrel or malts. Or beer.

South Shore's Bourbon Barrel Coffee Mint Stout, tired just from typing that out. Thousands of mint leaves crushed up & slipped into an indistinct base beer. Cheap coffee that leads into sharp bitterness. Bitterness & mint stick around like the drunk on the bar stool next to you. Barrel? None in evidence. Really limited in the drinkability category, not sure I'm willing to even finish half the bomber.

Points for originality, but the execution just isn't there. Subtlety & the presence of the barrel might have gone a long way to making this a winner. It certainly took the long way around to being mediocre, though.

3.11/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thanks, Jeff! The body is extremely black, pretty much no hint of color to be found anywhere along the way. A dark beige head, not quite dark enough to be tan, piles up good and then quickly shells away where it sits still at about three or four millimeters nearly the rest of the way. No lacing, really, though I can't say I'm surprised by that.

The heaviest aroma right out of the gate is definitely mint. Mint freshness, all up in this bitch. Mixed with a significant amount of cocoa malt, the nose brings about nice reminders of a York Peppermint Patty. There's a touch of coffee grounds buried in the background with an even milder hint of bourbon and oak. Is this 100% barrel-aged? Because it sure doesn't smell like it.

Just like the aroma, mint is the first thing to come piling onto my senses with the first sip, like licking the backside of a mint leaf with some wintergreen gum in my mouth. There's a moderate tobacco flavor backing up the mint that I'm not so sure I love just yet. Bourbon hits quick up front, slightly more potent than in the aroma, but fades quickly into an abyss before it even has time to be appreciated.

A touch of roasted malt here, a dash of coffee grounds there, and a mild plum sweetness that carries into the finish. A little warmth brings out heavier coffee grind flavors, as well as a raw whiskey tone that kind of makes this harder to drink. Thin bodied for what it is, though it's probably more like medium-heavy overall. Low-moderate carbonation with a wet, silky mouth feel.

Eh, this is one that sounds okay on paper, but was executed poorly. Not a good integration of bourbon or oak, really - too light at first, then when it comes alive, it's far too unabashed and not well meshed. Flavors present are alright, but this probably isn't something I'd consider purchasing again. With some adjustments, it could be alright, but it's a little too messy to be enjoyable now.

3.2/5  rDev -7.8%

Deep brown bordering on black with a tall light tan head that is whispy and foamy. Poured with excessive carbonation which hurts the overall look otherwise looks good.

Very reminiscent of a girl scout thin mint cookie. Mint and dark chocolate stand out at the forefront with light black fruits, hints of oak and vanilla, and the slightest hint of bourbon.

I like where they are trying to go with this but things are somewhat of a mess. Very minty all the way through with light chocolate in the middle and on the finish. Coffee is really nowhere to be found except for maybe in the way of tannins on the finish. More chocolate comes through with light oak and bourbon flavors. Some black currant and earth reside deep as well. Unfortunately the carbonation level on this is a bit whacked. Over carbonated and hurting everything from it.

3.25/5  rDev -6.3%

22 oz bottle poured into a Cigar City snifter.

A- Pours a dark black watery color, tan one finger frothy head dissipates slowly to nice frothy ring around the glass, really nice lacing and retention.
S- The bourbon is hidden, big chocolaty mint aroma, interesting makes me want to eat mint chocolate chip ice cream.
T- Interesting taste, oak is present; the bourbon is very hidden, mint, chocolate, the mint kind of takes over the beer, some roasted malt.
M- Medium mouth feel, under carbonated, smooth drinking, slight sour taste but I think that comes from the mint.
O- Decent beer, not my favorite, I enjoyed my 8 oz pour but would not drink this one again.

3.3/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours black with a small tan head. Nose is big mint, roast, and a touch of bourbon. Hmmm...not sure what I would otherwise expect. Not awesome, but probably what it needs to be for this beer. The taste is really odd. Mint, bourbon, roast, hop? bitterness in the finish. Not much coffee. Almost from the moment I tasted it, I though, why put this in bourbon barrels? Make a super chocolatey, rich, roasty (imperial) stout and toss that mint in. Anyway, in no way is the taste offensive, it just doesn't come together like I would want. Mouthfeel is medium, decidedly not creamy with good carbonation. Overall, I give this a bump for the experiment and because it is cheap. I think it also would work better with a scoop of ice cream floated in it. This idea could be better executed with some more focus and less of a kitchen sink approach.

3.35/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Black body shows hints of dark brown. Light tan head with decent retention.

S: Very heavy on the mint, with some alcohol and roasted malt. Smells like a peppermint patty.

T: Initial punch of mint followed by chocolate malt. Unlike the aroma, the flavor is more restrained and I’d describe it as a cocoa/mint leaf combination. Fruity bourbon jumps in midway and lingers through the finish, contributing a little tangyness. Coffee is wasn't all that apparent to me.

M: Medium bodied, with rough carbonation. Rather choppy for the style.

Overall, this isn’t bad, but I’d prefer it heavier with a bigger malt base. Also, the mint and bourbon didn’t really work well together in my opinion. Worth a try if you're looking for something unusual (especially at $5/22oz), but probably a one and done for me.

3.38/5  rDev -2.6%

I have a problem. These kids in Brooklyn in my neighborhood have established a style of wearing their pants so low that you see their boxers. Gym shorts, track pants, jeans, I've even seen it with khakis.

I do not want to see your dirty boxers.

This beef doesn't relate to this beer, but South Shore Coffee Mint Stout made me think about it. Maybe this beer is showing its boxers.

If so, they're weird looking black boxers with green polkadots, tan elastic, and they smell like burnt coffee, mint chocolate and cheap bourbon. The boxers have lace, too, and the mint overwhelms the smell, but not in a bad way.

Let's not extend that metaphor to the taste. South Shore's coffee mint stout is medicinal, unfortunately. An offputting minty start leads to a tart and bitter finish, and it's too much for the chocolate middle to overcome.

Medicine with mint, no barrel traces, a thinner body than ideal... This beer is a beer that's close to doing something amazing, but in truth far from it.

Bourbon Barrel Coffee Mint Stout from South Shore Brewery