1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Bourbon Barrel Coffee Mint Stout - South Shore Brewery

Bourbon Barrel Coffee Mint StoutBourbon Barrel Coffee Mint Stout

good

South Shore Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: battlekow on 02-26-2006)
1.25/5  rDev -64.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Free bottle. poured into snifter.

A - Coffee brown to black with a thin 1 finger head. I could tell it has a very thin body.

S - Ugh, Listerine and medicinal. Where the hell is the rest of the beer? No coffee or stout present in the aroma.

T - Goodbye, this stuff is a drainpour. May as well be Listerine with ground up peppermint candies (the circular red and white ones). No other flavors in this beer.

M - Thin, very thin and over carbonated.

O - What a mess of a beer. At least I didn't pay for it. No clue how this has a "good" rating on here.

Ri0, Jul 03, 2014

BMart, Sep 16, 2013

mrk829, Sep 04, 2013
3.11/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thanks, Jeff! The body is extremely black, pretty much no hint of color to be found anywhere along the way. A dark beige head, not quite dark enough to be tan, piles up good and then quickly shells away where it sits still at about three or four millimeters nearly the rest of the way. No lacing, really, though I can't say I'm surprised by that.

The heaviest aroma right out of the gate is definitely mint. Mint freshness, all up in this bitch. Mixed with a significant amount of cocoa malt, the nose brings about nice reminders of a York Peppermint Patty. There's a touch of coffee grounds buried in the background with an even milder hint of bourbon and oak. Is this 100% barrel-aged? Because it sure doesn't smell like it.

Just like the aroma, mint is the first thing to come piling onto my senses with the first sip, like licking the backside of a mint leaf with some wintergreen gum in my mouth. There's a moderate tobacco flavor backing up the mint that I'm not so sure I love just yet. Bourbon hits quick up front, slightly more potent than in the aroma, but fades quickly into an abyss before it even has time to be appreciated.

A touch of roasted malt here, a dash of coffee grounds there, and a mild plum sweetness that carries into the finish. A little warmth brings out heavier coffee grind flavors, as well as a raw whiskey tone that kind of makes this harder to drink. Thin bodied for what it is, though it's probably more like medium-heavy overall. Low-moderate carbonation with a wet, silky mouth feel.

Eh, this is one that sounds okay on paper, but was executed poorly. Not a good integration of bourbon or oak, really - too light at first, then when it comes alive, it's far too unabashed and not well meshed. Flavors present are alright, but this probably isn't something I'd consider purchasing again. With some adjustments, it could be alright, but it's a little too messy to be enjoyable now.

tectactoe, Aug 19, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

mrebeka, Jul 29, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +35.7%

DmanGTR, Jul 20, 2013
1.83/5  rDev -47.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

22 ounce bottle from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee (separate review hopefully on its way), around $6.

I love stout. And bourbon barrel aging is my favorite thing you can do to beer. And I love coffee, including in beer. And I love mint, though I rarely have had it in beer. I grow both peppermint and spearmint, cook with mint, eat mint straight, make mojitos with mint. So the stars looked aligned here.

Unfortunately, this beer is like a cross between a dark ale mouthwash and a menthol cigarette.

Appearance: this is fine. Deep, opaque brown to black. Light, middle brown head, leaves a little lacing. Everything goes downhill from here.

Smell: sharp, harsh medicinal. That's the mint. Little to nothing else. No coffee evident.

Taste: phew, this stuff is almost a drainpour. Like I said, it's like drinking a menthol cigarette. Ummm, sharp, strong, astrigent.

Mouthfeel: the astringent, sharp, biting mint is so strong that it overwhelms the mouthfeel. Leaves a slightly slick coating in my mouth -- not sure what that's about.

Overall: I don't even know if I would cook with this stuff. I'm struggling right now with drainpouring it. And I hate drainpouring stuff.

I love experimental beers, and brewers that are willing to take a chance. Unfortunately this one just didn't pan out. I dunno: less mint? more coffee? A little more residual sweetness to balance the sharp astringency of the mint?

BTW, South Shore Brewery's website lists this beer as 6.1% ABV. I'll try to submit an update.

warmstorage, Jun 28, 2013

drummermattie02, Jan 28, 2013

will1256, Dec 16, 2012

MSR129, Nov 20, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -34.9%

Let me preface by saying I have been pleased with South Shore so far. Been on 2 brewery tours and all the beers I tasted were good if not great...now on to the review of this beer. Bought in Duluth in the bomber format.

Ap- Looks yummy. Typical stout, deep brown color with a nice tan head that lingers for awhile. I can't wait to taste this baby.

Ar- Peppermint, chocolate, dark fruit and a hint of bourbon...looking forward to tasting this one.

T- Whoa, something is up here? I have never had an infected beer but this tastes wrong. Pretty sure this is my first experience with an infected batch. REALLY sour up front and not in a good way. I have had sours before and this just doesn't taste right. Pretty sure this beer got infected and I can't believe how bad this tastes. My wife and I split a bomber and she took 1 sip and left the rest. Just a bad initial taste. The finish was good though with chocolate, dark fruit and some mint, but the overall taste is just bad.

M- medium to thick with good carbonation

O- something went wrong with this one. Looked great, smelled great but the taste was terrible. I am chalking this up to an infection. This won't keep me from getting other South Shore offerings but I am left wondering WTF???? I would honestly rather drink a Bud Light Chelada than this thing...

BeerNutz324, Oct 01, 2012

3Hops, Aug 02, 2012
3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

This is very unique, never had a mint infused stout...

The look is blackish with a bubbly tan head, ok lacing. The aroma is crazy,cut literally smells like a grasshopper pie or a candy cane covered in milk chocolate. Some very herbal notes in the nose as well.

The taste is sort of sour, what? An infection? Some more herbal mint with a little sweet too in the taste, bizarre. Tart candy cane, with a bit of mint m and m. Very strange. The feel is very weird for a stout, it's like a wild ale in the feel, not stout like in feel.

Overall this is quite unique, interesting.

Dreadnaught33, Jul 27, 2012