Milkhouse Stout - Slab City Brewing Company

good

Slab City Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Bighuge on 08-03-2002)
Reviews by Winter:
4.55/5  rDev +29.6%

Light emerges from the bottom of my pint signifying a dark, dark brown (almost black) witha creamy tan head. Sweet tantalizing aroma of cocoa, dark chocolate and a hint of bit o' honey. The mouthfeel is medium bodied. The taste is amazing. Cocoa and chocolate malt upfront. It's a little bit vinous also. The satisying finish has a nice dry roasted malt flavor to it. What an unbelievably delicious stout!

Special thanks to Bighuge for sending this my way.

Winter, Sep 09, 2004
1.45/5  rDev -58.7%

Stay away from Slab City Mixed Packs at Woodmans. All of the beers seem off but this one takes the cake. I am assuming that this brew has gone bad since some pretty respected reviewers have given it top ratings. Let’s just say that the three samples that I tasted were all wretched and undrinkable filth. I poured them down the drain. I will rereview when given the opportunity to try a fresh sample.

DaPeculierDane, Jan 21, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +16.2%

Basically dark amber. It's blackish, certainly, but it's shades away from true ebony. The head is a modest yellowed tan.
Nose of roasty java, burnt toffee, and charred grain.
Flavorwise, it begins with medium roast coffee, sweetened slightly with caramel and milk. Burning char flavors fade, and this adopts traces of dry toffee and grain. Ends with a trickling vanilla hue and minor green, leafy herbs. The coffee hues, of course, linger throughout and post swallow.
Medium bodied, lowly carbonated and quite drainable. A fine session stout. I'd love to have 5 more waiting in the fridge.
Thanks Bighuge.

cokes, Aug 17, 2004
3.4/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison.

Pours black with visible yeast sediment and an out of control head, like it was shaken or something (it wasn't). Smell is nothing spectacular, roasted malts, decent hoppiness to balance, with very subtle coffee notes. Taste follows suit. Gets a little better as it warmed, but still didn't blow me away. Mouthfeel and drinkability are solid, I could drink a few but probably wouldn't seek it out again. Just so-so all around.

Golden2wenty1, Jul 26, 2005
3.63/5  rDev +3.4%

12oz single Riley's...drinking this one and then the barrel aged edition afterwards

appearance: pours a rich mahogany, heavily tinted ruby...a small chocolate brown head forms and leaves a ring around the glass and scattered lacing throughout

smell: very deep roasted aromas, coffee beans, sweet dark chocolate, distant cardboard, some sweet dark fruit

taste: very rich and very roasty, sweet dark chocolate, cocoa powder, heavy espresso presence, toffee, charwet cardboard, lots of dark sweetness. This has some good things going on but the flavors a tad distracted.

mouthfeel: medium bodied, low carbonation

drinkability: pretty easy drinking, not fabulous

dirtylou, Jan 24, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

Aroma is alarmingly and amazingly heavily fruit influenced. Lots of apple, cherry, berry and pear. Most unexpected. Color is a cloudy dark brown with a firm thumb thick, creamy tan head. Fore is tart and sweet and again quite fruity. Lamost feels like a Belgian take on a stout. Belgian yeast maybe? I get little to no chocolate, roast or typical stout flavors and lots of tart fruitiness. This isn’t bad...flavor wise...it is just VERY different to the point that I am unsure what the intent of the brewer was. The finish is so sweet and tart and Belgian like it is uncanny. Hmmm

Jredner, Feb 18, 2006
1.65/5  rDev -53%

I picked this up at Famous Liquors in Milwaukee, never having seen it before. I know it could not have been too old as I was in the store a month earlier and they did not have it.

The beer poured ok - not an oxidized gusher. The smell was malty but a cardboard smell was there - not dominating, but there. The taste was just plain awful - wild yeast flavor. Vegetable. Either they have a problem with the bottling line or the beer goes bad pretty quickly.

I want to give this brewery another try because I've heard such good things. Someone from the brewery should get to Famous and pick up a bottle to see what I mean.

sweethome, Mar 12, 2005
1.65/5  rDev -53%

Lots of carbonation, erupted out of the bottle.

Pours a dark black, with a huge brown head that overflowed the glass. Nice mess.

While the head was still growing, spilling, foaming, it smelled like chocolate milk and cocoa. Once the head dissapated, I couldn't really smell any chocolate anymore. It almost smelled like a glass of Coca-Cola.

The flavor is completely messed up from the carbonation. It has that distinct, metallic tonic-water taste and feel to it. There was some cherry fruit in there, and I thought I was drinking cherry coke. One that you would return for something else at the restaurant, and the waitress would admit the machine was messed up. To top it off, my lips, tongue and mouth felt like it was slick with oil.

Definitely a bad batch. I can't imagine anyone wanting to make a beer like this. Will have to return to this review some day in the future when I get one from a different source.

From: Single from Woodman's

terrabyte, Nov 15, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +34.5%

Presentation: This intrigued me from the moment I placed it in my fridge. A rather plain looking 12 fl.oz. bottle that appealed & said you’ll enjoy me. My ESBP (Extra-Sensory Beer Perception) in action again, it did not fail me.

Appearance: A Stout Ale, in every sense of the word. When held up to the light – although a very dark auburn mahogany, you can actually see through it. The head is a marvelous looking frothy light brown affair that looks really smooth & foam like. Lacing is of Stoutesque proportions.

Nose: Reminiscent of an Old Ale made with roasted Malts. Sweet Dark Cadbury Bournville Chocolate odors mixed with freshly brewed Coffee. You know when you open a pack of sealed Mixed Nuts – well I get a whiff of that as well. Very Nice, I almost drank this beer through my nose – such was its appeal.

Taste: Wow, 5 different malts are used in this Stout Ale. The Milkhouse name hints at an expected lactic sweetness. This never materializes at all, far from it. Milkhouse is perhaps a misnomer & a bad-name for this Stout. But hey, what’s in a name? Starts & Finishes with a smoky, almost Rauchbier-like character. Smoked malts inter-mingle with a fine roasted coffee bitterness. I am firmly of the opinion that this beer has more in character with the original London Stouts than most people dare to admit, or wish to believe.

Mouthfeel: An average strength body, that can feel thin at times, an almost classic medium strength body which is supported & enhanced by a very smooth feel, as well as a smoky coffee bitterness that crystallizes on the cheeks after swallowing the beer, which also lingers & entices you take the next sip.

Drinkability: More, More, More – can you get this on draft? I have 100,000 Airmiles to Cash In – is Slab City Brewing close to an Airport – does it have a Brewery Tap?.

Overall: Far removed from your 'Cookie-Cutter' formula OTT Stout. This is very understated - but unique, unassuming – but full of character, uncommon – yet feels like a long lost friend, unknown – but does not seek exposure. Like comparing an Audi to a BMW, it’s what’s beneath the skin that matters here. Plain looking bottles often hide great beers (witness Westy 12). This is one definitely of them.

Bloody Excellent, I love Dry Stouts – and this is a *VERY* good example of the style indeed. Only 3 other people have reviewed this beer, can that be right? – Wow, I am deeply honored to be able to add a fourth.

Serious Kudos to BigHuge for this “shy” Beauty. Fucking Superb!!!

TheLongBeachBum, Aug 31, 2003
4.18/5  rDev +19.1%

This is definitely the "crown jewel" of the Slab City material...A very tasty, highly drinkable stout..Despite the name, it is a dry stout, but to me it also has some sweet stout characteristics...Black with some brown tints...very small tan lace that rims the glass....big roasted malt characteristics along with some coffee notes...the nose has some of the java notes as well as a sweet, almost caramel smell...this is from the yeast strain I'm pretty sure as most of the slab city beers have this smell...also some faint caramel notes on the buds...creamy...on the thinner side of medium bodied...not as much of a dry finish as I'd expect///a good drinkable stout...certainly not a classic, but a nice stout from a very small brewery..

ZAP, Aug 11, 2002
3.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Some people have described this beer as a summer stout (if there really is such a thing) due to the "thin" nature of the beer. However, I would characterize this as a complex stout in the likes of Bells. This is self described as the “flagship” beer of Slab City. With such a bold statement I decided this would beer the first beer I would taste from this small Wisconsin Brewery.

The beer poured a syrupy motor oil like beer that left a wonderful layer of coffee colored head on my pint glass.

Beer smells of burnt grain, coffee and licorice. Taste was a complex mixture of coffee, licorice and chocolate that changes as the beer warmed. Beer was not overly carbonated.

Like other stouts one cannot drink too many of these without getting a little full and I imagine this beer would be perfect on one of our cold Wisconsin winter nights. A decent ale, but nothing to get too excited about.

lampkins, Jul 27, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +39%

This beer is almost opaue, but not quite. Some ruby around the edges and just a bit of light right through the center of this beer. The beer throws out a nice creamy brown head. Looks like a stout. This beer has a wonderful aroma. Beautiful roasted malt blended with coffee bean and a small nutty characteristic. This is one of my favorite stouts. There is a great roasted bitterness present. Blended to perfection with java accents. Just a titch of burnt malt surfaces halfway through the beer. The mouthfeel is silky and creamy. The only thing that I can come up with to knock about this beer is the body. A little light in my opinion. It's about medium. A highly drinkable stout. (To note: Last weekend while I was in Green Bay, I participated in a football tournament. I had an hour or so to spare in between games so I kicked back a growler of this with no problem.)

In my opinion, this is one of the single best beers produced in Wisconsin (interestingly from one of the smallest breweries in the state).

Bighuge, Aug 03, 2002
3.83/5  rDev +9.1%

Enjoyed from a 12oz bottle; no freshness dating found. Label says Milkhouse stout, though style here at BA says Irish Dry. I was actually expecting a milk-stout, so we'll see what comes about for #950...

My bottle looks nothing like the one pictured here. Mine has a simple white label, with a Slab City logo in the center, being round and red-white-and-blue, like a target. "Milkhouse Stout Ale" reads across the top diagonally upwards from left to right, with some stalks of grain in the bottom corners framing "Slab City Brewing, LLC".

Had to pour slowly into my small chalice, as the head just grew and grew. Bier fills no more than half the glass right now, with a topping of at least 3" towering above. The head is a solid beige, and has a mousse-like texture as it slowly ebbs back towards the liquid, all the while lacing the shit out of the glass. The bier itself is black like tar, with no light penetrating at all. The remaining brew was transferred from bottle to glass, with a bit of foaminess still residing in the bottle. Aroma is on the mild side, with a bit of roasty choco as well as light floral hops coming forth. The feel is acceptably smooth, to accompany a body in the medium range.

Flavor, too, has some burnt, roasty character to it, along with choco and some coffee/toffee. It's mostly bitter, with a smidge of a sourish quality as well. Floral hops appear in the finish, and linger nicely. The more I drink, the more I like it, though it won't come close to any of my faves. Milkstout? Irish Dry? NBD.... pretty good regardless...

My apologies to the BA who long ago forwarded this to me.... my trading lists have been mis-placed, but my thanks to you...

Zum Wohl!!

Bierman9, Dec 09, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -10.3%

Thanks to UncleRandy for this one.

A: Whoa, lots of carbonation here. Almost shot out of the glass. Towering, webby head made up of various sized bubbles...surprised its lasting as long as it is. Body is a very dark brown, almost black allowing no light thru.

S: Iced coffee, powdered cocoa, red grape juice and roasted barley

T: Begins with that sour twang so many stouts have now adays...sort of a mixture between soured chocolate milk, cola and grape juice. Nectarine flavor tickles the tip of the tongue while mellow bittersweet chocolate and coffee work as a faint taste. Finishes with lingering lactose, gentle sourness and roasted grains.

M: Thin with an explosive, fluffy carbonation that blows up when it hits the mouth. I need to swirl the beer in the glass to get it containable. Beer appears to be oily on this lips...kinda cool.

D: Decent. Not a huge fan of these uber sour stouts on the market. Not sure where they are all coming form.

Westsidethreat, Nov 14, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a thin black color with a small somewhat foamy head. smells of charred malts and yeast and little else. Taste is of coffee and acid dark roasty malts. Some caramel peaks through. I am getting some nutty tones also. hops are there but not very assertive. Body is medium to thin. Very drinkable and a good session stout. I think I am just spoiled by the big boys.

bnuttz, Mar 01, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -16.5%

A: A massive amount of foam which is very light and bubbly. Rich dark amber color that is completely opaque

S: Smells of roasted coffee, literally if you were blinded you could not tell that this was beer.

T: The foam is so thick and the first sip tastes like coca cola for a few seconds before the less than smooth roasted coffee after taste.

M: An extremely light bodied stout that leaves little carbonation behind on the tongue. The aftertaste of coffee in the back of the throat is less than pleasant..

D: Goes down smooth but the aftertaste is too overwhelming for me to enjoy more than once.

jdoherty, Oct 28, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +23.4%

Pours out a nice, wooden brown and sits deep mahogony in the glass with a large light tan head, fading to a light skim and a few spotted lacings.

Smells deeply roasted with hints of coffee and chocoloate. Odd aroma of strained carrots, the Gerber variety. Light hints of caramel.

Tastes roasty up front with rich notes of coffee with dustings of cocoa powder. Strong wooden presence, singed and smoldering. Well bittered, lending a nice finish to this simply tasty brew.

Smooth and creamy in the mouth with light carbonation. Elegant and very pleasing.

Very easy to drink, a beginner's dry stout if I've ever had one, but is suitable for any pallate. Larger quantities are diminished with ease.

Skidz, Dec 29, 2004